Gionta Out With a Leg Injury

Dalhabs

Staal is out for the Canes too don't forget. I think this is exactly what the Dr ordered for the Habs. After getting embarrassed in the last game on the road, coming back home against the worst team in the league who I'm glad ended their 14 game losing streak in the last game. Hopefully this means they wont be as hungry as they would have been if it was 15 straight.

I'm not taking the 'Canes lightly. A lot of the time, when a losing team gets the monkey of a losing streak off its back, it rings together a handful of wins before slipping back into mediocrity.

I agree that we haven't been too lucky this season, but the fact remains that MOST teams are decimated with injuries. Look at Vancouver, missing their #1 G and #1C for much of the season so far - for instance. I hate to say it, but the Habs really can't use injuries as an excuse when every other team has lots of them too.

Most teams do not come back from a huge overhaul AND then have injuries. Everyone says "cannot use injuries as excuses", well not excuses, REASONS. Is there any reason to believe a fully healthy team would play like this? Would we be this terrible on the PP and fast breaks with Markov back there instead of hammer or spacey?

I'm not taking the 'Canes lightly. A lot of the time, when a losing team gets the monkey of a losing streak off its back, it rings together a handful of wins before slipping back into mediocrity.

I agree that we haven't been too lucky this season, but the fact remains that MOST teams are decimated with injuries. Look at Vancouver, missing their #1 G and #1C for much of the season so far - for instance. I hate to say it, but the Habs really can't use injuries as an excuse when every other team has lots of them too.

Henrik Sedin has been healthy. It's Daniel (their #1 winger) that has been out. And Henrik has played awesome without his brother, debunking a lot of myths about him as a player.

Injuries have a place in the discussion about the team's performance, though. I think this team needed to be relatively healthy out of the gate in order to forge their identity. Unofrutnately, the injuries have revealed that a number of the Habs' players are either AHL quality or borderline NHLers at best.

Henrik Sedin has been healthy. It's Daniel (their #1 winger) that has been out. And Henrik has played awesome without his brother, debunking a lot of myths about him as a player.

Injuries have a place in the discussion about the team's performance, though. I think this team needed to be relatively healthy out of the gate in order to forge their identity. Unofrutnately, the injuries have revealed that a number of the Habs' players are either AHL quality or borderline NHLers at best.

Right, my bad on Sedin, but Daniel Sedin remains their best position player. They've also been without another top-6 forward (Demitra) and of course Luongo. New Jersey is missing major chunks of its D. Most teams are suffering. Not all are tanking.

Point taken on the "team identity" thing. But you'd think that after 20 games without Markov they'd have formed some sort of sense of themselves. In short: the longer this mediocrity goes on, the harder it is to argue that we have some *special* excuse that does not apply to every other injury-decimated team out there. This is a freak year, team after team has grave holes in their lineup due to injury, and I think the slack we cut the Habs has to be balanced against that fact.

This is ultra depressing. It's bad enough given our record and injuries but now HW is turning into a not very happy place. "Trust In BOb" vs. "Fire The Pr/ck". Price vs. Kopitar.

Too bad it is what it is: We suck! Hopefully that changes. I wouldn't be surprised if this speeds up a trade.

Not all are tanking.

I hope you're not saying that two games under five-hundred with a couple of one-goal losses is equivalent to tanking. Montreal hasn't been competitive in three games. Other than that, they've been in every single one.

There's too much tendency to look at the negative exclusively here. We've become the culture of losing that supposedly permeated the dressing room of the last decade. Two out of three posters (in my estimation) has already given up on this year, and I think a third are ready to give up entirely on any prospects of success the Habs have with Gainey as GM.

This is what makes the Montreal fan-base (and media) the most fickle on the planet. Two years ago we were Cup contending superheroes and now we're dead in the water. What if we go on a five-game win streak? Will we be Cup contenders again.

If there's one thing ALL Habs fans (myself included) need to do, it's to be able to step back every once in a while and take a look at the big picture. It's not nearly as doom and gloom as most seem to feel. Is it precarious? Darn right - but then so are the chances of two-thirds of the teams in the NHL - at least.

I hope you're not saying that two games under five-hundred with a couple of one-goal losses is equivalent to tanking. Montreal hasn't been competitive in three games. Other than that, they've been in every single one.

There's too much tendency to look at the negative exclusively here. We've become the culture of losing that supposedly permeated the dressing room of the last decade. Two out of three posters (in my estimation) has already given up on this year, and I think a third are ready to give up entirely on any prospects of success the Habs have with Gainey as GM.

This is what makes the Montreal fan-base (and media) the most fickle on the planet. Two years ago we were Cup contending superheroes and now we're dead in the water. What if we go on a five-game win streak? Will we be Cup contenders again.

If there's one thing ALL Habs fans (myself included) need to do, it's to be able to step back every once in a while and take a look at the big picture. It's not nearly as doom and gloom as most seem to feel. Is it precarious? Darn right - but then so are the chances of two-thirds of the teams in the NHL - at least.

OK, OK. :lol: All I'm trying to say is that the "injury" thing can only go so far, in this particular season. Yer right, lots of hockey left to play.

+1

Washington, Detroit, Colombus Pittsburg.

Ok we need big players + O'byrne, Laraque.

But there is a ? too many similar player, White, Stewart, Chipchura

we need an offensive player, Desharnais is my first choice , Sergei the second one.

I would't mind having both.

Cammalleri- Gomez -Metropolit

Andrei Plek ?

Max Pac-Pyatt- Moen

Latendresse-Lapierre-Laraque

Just to irresponsibly raise anxiety levels even more, Arpon Basu is pretty sure that Hamrlik is fairly seriously hurt :lol:

http://dailyhab-it.blogspot.com/2009/11/guess-whos-back.html

Can you imagine? If he's out for any extended period, then lottery here we come.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gionta injury gives Bob the final incentive to acquire another top-6 forward. But he'll only do that after call-ups and current roster players have manifestly failed to fill the void.

This seems to be the year when the Gainey regime's failure to develop players is destined to destroy us. We've desperately needed la releve all year and as the injuries pile up the need intensifies - but so far, not one young player has matched let alone surpassed expectations. Oh well.

Just to irresponsibly raise anxiety levels even more, Arpon Basu is pretty sure that Hamrlik is fairly seriously hurt :lol:

Can you imagine? If he's out for any extended period, then lottery here we come.

I can't imagine the Habs would have returned Carle to Hamilton if Hamrlik were to be out of the lineup.

If Gionta is out for a longer period... WHY havent Sergei been called up yet? At least he is pissed off enough to care about his own performance and knows that a callup is his chance to redeem himself.

The biggest issue for me is that all these injuries give the team an excuse, including Gainey (not to mention some fans on here). Too many people say 'this is a good team, but without Markov.. etc"...

I want to see this team with all the parts so we can either prove it is a good team, or recognize it isn't. There is nothing worse then not realizing your issues, so you don't fix them. We need to know before the trade deadline if this team is even close to being a contender so we can make a buy vs sell decision.

Edited by brobin

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gionta injury gives Bob the final incentive to acquire another top-6 forward. But he'll only do that after call-ups and current roster players have manifestly failed to fill the void.

This seems to be the year when the Gainey regime's failure to develop players is destined to destroy us. We've desperately needed la releve all year and as the injuries pile up the need intensifies - but so far, not one young player has matched let alone surpassed expectations. Oh well.

If Hamrlik was really hurt, he wouldn't have been on the bench for the shootout, congratulating Lapierre when he scored the winner. And he wouldn't have been skating this morning. And they wouldn't have sent Carle down.

Hamrlik might have took a stinger, but he's alright.

The biggest issue for me is that all these injuries give the team an excuse, including Gainey (not to mention some fans on here). Too many people say 'this is a good team, but without Markov.. etc"...

I want to see this team with all the parts so we can either prove it is a good team, or recognize it isn't. There is nothing worse then not realizing your issues, so you don't fix them. We need to know before the trade deadline if this team is even close to being a contender so we can make a buy vs sell decision.

If it so happens that the deadline comes without Markov or Gionta, just keep the team the way it is and try next year when everyone is healthy. If even we are healthy, keep them together anyways since most of our guys are locked up, give them at LEAST a year to grow together. One year doesn't prove anything for any hockey team.

People don't realize that the performance of players can and will fluctuate, and that's totally acceptable. Some good players have off years, some bad players have great years. It's the nature of the game. On this board, people seem to only think it terms of how good a player 'should' be, which is usually in relation to how much money they make. People see contracts skating around rather than human beings who could be having bad nights or good nights. You just have to forget about knee-jerk reactions as soon as something doesn't go your way and give them enough time and space to play the game they can play, and hope all of the variables work out in your favor. The only time I would think about canning a player is after prolonged poor play, and I don't think a year, full of injuries and chemistry experiments is enough to fairly gauge anything.

Edited by ForumGhost

If Gionta is out for a longer period... WHY havent Sergei been called up yet? At least he is pissed off enough to care about his own performance and knows that a callup is his chance to redeem himself.

Bringing Sergei back is the only option they have to create real scoring opportunities,

like him or not he has talent and will, ore will than his brother i might say.

Yeah he is a headcase so what ??manage him that why you paid for Martin.

PP goals will make this team win some games...with talent on the ice, Sergei is the

closest thing we have as a set up men.

Bringing Sergei back is the only option they have to create real scoring opportunities,

like him or not he has talent and will, ore will than his brother i might say.

Yeah he is a headcase so what ??manage him that why you paid for Martin.

PP goals will make this team win some games...with talent on the ice, Sergei is the

closest thing we have as a set up men.

It's tough though. White looked great in the third period against Carolina. He doesn't have the hands, but he brings his lunchbox everyday. I would certainly play SK over Stewart though.