Next one to be recalled

JCPetit

With the big team doing so bad and the injuries adding up game after game, I thought that it might be fun to guess who will be recalled next from the Bulldogs.

I start this topic with the name of David Desharnais.

I know that he is small and has not played a lot because of an injury earlier this season, but he is doing well since his return. He also was one of the best forwards during training camp. I think that now that Gionta is unable to play for some weeks, the Habs will need another offensive forward.

Sergei Kostitsyn would be an answer if he had been wise enough to roll his sleeves and work hard as soon as he had been sent to Hamilton. We all know that it has not been the case.

Desharnais, on the other hand, has always had a strong work ethic. He did not have another option, will you tell me. I agree with that. Still, he has managed, so far, to elevate his play at every level, from junior to the East Coast and the AHL. The NHL is the next level. Let's hope that he will get his chance soon and that he will be a pleasant surprise for us, Habs fans.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you sending down? The Habs have a full roster: Gionta was put on IR, and Laraque was activated. So it's either waive a player like Stewart or Chipchura, or send one of White or Pyatt back down to bring up Desharnais.

As for who is next should a spot open up, Desharnais would be among the top candidates for sure. Maxwell, Trotter, and Sergei Kostitsyn would be the other ones. It's hard to say who would be called up.

D'Agostini has started skating again, so if he can return in the next week or so then the issue I guess is kind of solved, since he's an offensive right winger like Gionta.

Edited by saskhab

Who should we send down?

Good question and I don't have an answer. I am sure of one thing though: we don't score goals and it's not going to get better now that Gionta is on the sidelines.

I don't see anybody in the current line-up with the ability and confidence to take charge. I may be too optimistic, but I think that Desharnais would fit. He is small, for sure, but nobody will question his ability and desire.

I think that very soon Gainey and Martin will have to face the reality: we need goals and they won't find the solution in the line-up.

Give the kid a chance!

Edited by JCPetit

The player most on fire in Hamilton right now is Maxwell, I think he'd best the next in line for a call up. But you'd need to use him. I'd rather see those kids play in Hamilton than sit in the pressbox in Montreal­.

As for who needs to go, I'm thinking Stewart is the most expandable and less useful of the bunch; but for some reason Gainey likes Stew and Chips and wont risk losing either one on waivers. So they'll demote Pyatt or White before sending down Stew or Chips.

The player most on fire in Hamilton right now is Maxwell, I think he'd best the next in line for a call up. But you'd need to use him. I'd rather see those kids play in Hamilton than sit in the pressbox in Montreal­.

As for who needs to go, I'm thinking Stewart is the most expandable and less useful of the bunch; but for some reason Gainey likes Stew and Chips and wont risk losing either one on waivers. So they'll demote Pyatt or White before sending down Stew or Chips.

Aren't you a prominent figure in the "Gainey has done a terrible job with regards to asset management since he has taken over. He has lost Hainsey, Beauchemin, etc. on waivers for nothing" camp?

Now I detect a hint of critical commentary regarding Gainey sending down a player who cannot be lost to waivers over someone who can? You say "for some reason Gainey likes Stew and Chips"? Maybe he's been reading this board and has taken note of the tireless rants of his shortcomings and will do whatever is necessary to not lose someone serviceable on waivers.

It might not be fair to White and Pyatt to be sent down before Stew and Chips, but it's simply correct asset management to send down the guys who don't have to go through waivers instead of the guys who you can lose. Doesn't matter how little they've been used, they can be useful at some point and he plans on keeping them.

Especially in this case, where we're talking about 4th liners/healthy scratches who, in the grand scheme of things, aren't going to impact very much. Just wondering because this seems very contradictory to some of your previous comments.

Who should we send down?

Good question and I don't have an answer. I am sure of one thing though: we don't score goals and it's not going to get better now that Gionta is on the sidelines.

I don't see anybody in the current line-up with the ability and confidence to take charge. I may be too optimistic, but I think that Desharnais would fit. He is small, for sure, but nobody will question his ability and desire.

I think that very soon Gainey and Martin will have to face the reality: we need goals and they won't find the solution in the line-up.

Give the kid a chance!

I'd love to see the littel guy get a shot. Dejarnais, Kosty, or Maxwell would be my 3. White must stay up. I like him. Pyatt had a couple good games, but has slowed down.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say: Sanford.

I feel the old Habs' injury curse kicking back in.

For Sanford to be recalled, Price or Halak would have to be injured. Or Halak would be traded... If he Gainey could trade him for a scorer, I am sure he would make the move right away.

I don't see Laraque playing the next game. The way he plays, he doesn't make a contribution to the team. IMO he cost us the game tonight.

If Gomez is not able to come for the next game, there will be a recall. Now that AK 46 is back on track, what about SK 74?

Or Desharnais (he scored again tonight)?

I don't see Laraque playing the next game. The way he plays, he doesn't make a contribution to the team. IMO he cost us the game tonight.

If Gomez is not able to come for the next game, there will be a recall. Now that AK 46 is back on track, what about SK 74?

Or Desharnais (he scored again tonight)?

Laraque's errors in the first period against Detroit were inexcusable. They *may* have been a result of him being even slower than usual due to recovery from injury, but come on, a guy who plays five minutes a night can NOT have a shift like that.

So I agree. Call someone up, preferably someone with some offensive upside.

Laraque should get suspended for his hit, so yeah, we'll be calling someone up.

I don't think it was intentional. Just a lack of speed and mobility from his part. It was a dangerous move nonetheless and he should be punished. Probably 2 games suspension.

Laraque should get suspended for his hit, so yeah, we'll be calling someone up.

Hopefully they'd just bring Stewart back, save on the cap that way (yes, my mind wanders to the financial side of things much too often). If that happened though, they'd save themselves from using LTIR a little while longer.

Hopefully they'd just bring Stewart back, save on the cap that way (yes, my mind wanders to the financial side of things much too often). If that happened though, they'd save themselves from using LTIR a little while longer.

I had a look at the highlights of Hamilton's last games, on AHL.com. Interesting. Maxwell and Desharnais are good playmakers I also like what I have seen from Trotter (he plays right wing). S. Kostitsyn is doing good too, but with his talent, he should be the best. I haven't seen much of Subban, but I would say that a recall after Christmas is a strong possibility -- if there are injuries to the defensive squad, of course.

Kronwall will be out for injury 5 to 8 weeks. Outch! he was the Wing's best offensive defenseman with 5 goals 8 assists. It doesn't look good for big Georges who had to defend himself with Colin Campbell today...

Someone will be recalled, unless D'Agostini is able to come back -- and it won't be Stewart.

I want to see a C up here, so we can test the talent and see whether we can afford to lose Pleks in the off-season.

ther is no one in the habs system that is going to replace Pleks or even reach the best case scenerio that remains for gomez this year. The only logical move long term is signing plex long term and dumping gomez - which is going to be a lot harder to unload then Theadore was.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

The logical move is to re-sign Plekanec, try and move Hamrlik maybe, and let Metropolit walk. Metro walking would allow Maxwell or Desharnais to compete for a spot on the roster without forcing them (or some other lightweight) to play on the 2nd line.

Of course, we might have an 18 year old top 5 draft pick competing for a spot as well.

dlbalr, you do realize that if Laraque is supended he won't count against the cap anyways, so we'd be saving cap space in any scenario. I guess simply recalling Stewart would save us the most, but I'd rather call up the guy that will give us the best chance to win. We're 11-11-1... cap space won't mean crap come the deadline if this pace keeps up.