Latendresse traded for Benoit Pouliot

huzer

803,250 for Ben

803,000 for Lats

Meaning we pay Pouliot an extra couple hundred dollars this year. They're both RFA at the end of the year.

I watched Pouliot play in Sudbury when he was in junior. He played with nick Foligno for a season or two. I just remember him being real good (he went 4th oa) and boy, was he fast (at least compared to everyone else at that point.)

We'll have to wait a while before we see him play though.

I think the upside with him is higher than Lats.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say lets give Boucher a few weeks to straighten him out.

He won't be going to the AHL. He'll be in the NHL.

We almost drafted Poliout instead of Price. Bob once said they had a forward in mind for the 5th overall pick, and the way he described that forward made it seem like it was Poliout who was their target. I can't remember where I read this, but it was interesting. Thank God Minny picked him.

The Wild have done a pretty poor job developing players in recent years, just like the Habs, so hopefully this is just a case of two once promising prospects needing a new start somewhere else, like the Ladd for Ruutu deal.

Well there's a big centre with an elite talent level. Big question is the same that followed Lats.... can he do it in the NHL?

Oh.... and SK gets the call up !!! YAY!!!!!

Yahoo and HF have him listed as a LW. Can he play C?

Wow, i know Gui is struggling, but to give up on him so early seems bad to me.

I know Pouliot was a high draft pick, but this could come back to haunt the Habs.

They are pretty much the same age.

He won't be going to the AHL. He'll be in the NHL.

We almost drafted Poliout instead of Price. Bob once said they had a forward in mind for the 5th overall pick, and the way he described that forward made it seem like it was Poliout who was their target. I can't remember where I read this, but it was interesting. Thank God Minny picked him.

The Wild have done a pretty poor job developing players in recent years, just like the Habs, so hopefully this is just a case of two once promising prospects needing a new start somewhere else, like the Ladd for Ruutu deal.

Yeah, but one was picked 4th overall, and the other 45th. I think Pouliot's the guy with the edge in raw talent. He also played under Constantine in Houston where he apparently struggled, and then last year under Jacques Lemaire, it couldn't have been any better.

I guess we'll see how Jacques Martin does with him.

From Gainey:

"Benoit Pouliot and Guillaume Latendresse are two players at the same stage of their careers who were still looking at making a place for themselves with the teams that drafted them. Often times a different environment, new teammates and a new situation can be beneficial for a player. Benoit Pouliot is a skilled player with good size. He is a very good skater with excellent skills and we intend to give him the opportunity to earn his place on our team"

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=507209

Pouliot will be on at 6 PM EST for his "welcome to Montreal" presser.

So is he a centre or what? I think Gainey looked and said OK, I have 3 young guys of talent in Lats Sergei and Maxpac all kinda fighting it out for the same postition. Maybe it was just a matter of having an under achiever develope at centre instead. This should be interesting. I'm a little worried about the whole thing. I really liked Latendresse. If he is a centre, it is worth the risk I think.

A mid-2nd rounder for the 4th overall pick. Sweet! Only 3 behind Crosby and 1 ahead of Price.

Plus Pouliot was no doubt under a leash in Minnesota and their old defensive system.

Can't wait to see him on the ice.

I liked Guillaime but he just isn't progressing and has been given lots of opportunities.

Everyone wants a big centre... 6'3 and good hands should be a good start.

Not surprising given the fact that there were reports of Martin being frustrated with Gui to the point of...well, what purpose does he serve if any? I assume BOb heard Martin and here we are.

And please don't jump down my throat. I meant Martin thinks, "what purpose?" Not necessarily me.

I've watched him play for 2 years for the Wolves; he has all the skills, has deceptive speed and a quick hard shot. His problem (in the Ohl) was he tended to take games (and shifts) off. I'm sure that won't happen now he's getting paid to play and will be held accountable.

Let's hope Jacques Martin and Kirk Muller can help him reach his full potential. Latendresse was, at times, tough to watch because of his weak skating.

Yep

If Pouliot is a better skater, why not ?

Here in Montreal, we get a steady dose of Pierre McGuire on local radio. For those that didn't hear, McGuire basically trashed Pouliot. He even suggested that during the summer, when he was in heavy talks with the Wild about the GM position, that the first move he'd make was unload Pouliot as soon as possible. To further make his point, he would have targeted Montreal as a spot to trade Pouliot. He doesn't think Pouliot has much of a future and won't make an impact.