Habs vs. Blue Jackets | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I haven't read the whole thread as I need to get to bed. But I'm sure someone has already said it: This was Price's victory all the way.

(They need to give Halak a start though. Maybe tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the whole thread as I need to get to bed. But I'm sure someone has already said it: This was Price's victory all the way.

(They need to give Halak a start though. Maybe tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.)

Actually, maybe the credit for Price getting hot should go to Halak's agent. Didn't Carey go on this streak when his stats were quoted?

LMAO

I think that's key. Positional play. Everyone is where they should be. And of course, speed burns, and speed applied in a useful manner is deadly.

Last year the Volts were a very small team, but arguably the strongest team on the puck in the whole CHL because of that speed*positioning system. When Carle said he learned more in 2 weeks under Boucher than in 2 years under Lever, I think that's what he was alluding to, being taught new, innovative ways to be in better position faster.

Actually, maybe the credit for Price getting hot should go to Halak's agent. Didn't Carey go on this streak when his stats were quoted?

LMAO

Someone should tell Carey to buy a Blackberry, open a Twitter account; and then follow him and keep posting his stats at him. You know, just to be safe...

WOW, what a turn of events.

Garon looked terrible on the last one. What the hell was he doing? Flopping like a madman.

Regardless, I'll take it.

You could see his stick catch on the post when he tried to get up. That prevented him from getting up as quickly as he wanted, which left the net open.

This must have been an amazing game for fanpuck to watch! ^_^

Big positives and 2 points!

I always hope for a 3 point game between these two teams, but I'll take a Habs win any day. Montreal got lucky, though, that Columbus was playing its third game in four nights. Jackets were dominating the first 30 minutes of the game, but then they just lost it. Suddenly Montreal was skating harder and winning some battles.

I have to say, maybe it was just this game, but I didn't think a whole lot of White or Pyatt. A lot of people have been talking about what a great job they're doing, but I just didn't see it. I barely noticed either one, except for when I did see Pyatt's 94 I kept think it was an 84, haha. Wyman wasn't given much of a chance, I wouldn't have noticed him had I not been looking for him.

For those who've seen what Boucher did with the Volts in the Q last season, it's not too surprising. If there's any real genius in the organization, I'd put my money on Guy "The Brain" Boucher and his two Bachelor degrees and his Masters degree. Look at the paths and speed his players uses to move around the ice, it's something else.

Yep. Don't remember where I read that, but someone related to the Bulldogs was saying that Boucher teaches a UNIQUE hockey style/system, something that could be as huge as "the trap" was at the time. Time will tell I guess...

Kostitsyn AND Mara are hurt? C'MON!

The referees missed an excellent game tonight. How many bad calls against the Habs? I haven't seen that often.

BTW, we had a great game not only from Price and MAB, but also from Laps, Pax and young K. The defense looked good, including Leach who keeps it simple.

Exciting game to say the least.

I think we have a shot at the game tomorrow, even if we are playing against Crosby and Malkin.

More stats: Plex picks up 2 assists, giving him 26 pts in 25 games. On pace for a 85 pts season. o_O

Short of some cap magic on Gainey's part, Plex is quickly pricing himself out of Montreal. Depending on how the season goes, we should do everything we can to resign him. He's a Zetterberg type player, and could soon be mentioned in the same breath (which I just did :) ).

Just watched Canadiens Express.

Ahem.

I'd like to politely diss anyone who was suggesting that Halak should have been given the #1 goalie spot because he was "outplaying" Price.

Also, I would like to not even politely diss anyone who was suggesting that Price should have been sent back to the Bulldogs.

That being said, Rick Nash is amazingly good.

Wow, a lot of exuberance in here. It was a fun win, but there were a couple of things to point out:

1. Garon was bad. He couldn't track the puck all night and completely whiffed on two goals.

2. The Blue Jackets played the night before, are at the end of a road trip, and we didn't take over the game until the end of the 2nd. Hmm....

3. Price saved our bacon early.

4. MAB scored on two of the weakest shots you'll ever score on.

5. The PP that turned the momentum around, near the end of the 2nd, was because Chimera lost his stick as soon as the Habs gained the zone. It's amazing such a little thing had such a huge impact on the game. The Habs didn't score, but the shots went from about 27-10 to a respectable margin in a hurry, and Columbus got exhausted.

Anyways, some good character on display, and good on Bergeron who has played about a half dozen strong games in a row now. It's important to realize with him that although he's obviously not stellar defensively, the guy did not have a training camp and that set him back from the get go. He seems like he's caught up. He was a NHLer, even if not a terribly trusted one, so it's good to see him make the kind of reads you expect from a NHL caliber defender.

O'Byrne is really impressing me. I thought he'd take some time getting back, but he was quite strong I thought.

Sergei played well, and I think the penalty he took was more unfortunate than bad. He did hook a guy in the neutral zone later in the game and I was worried it'd get called, but it wasn't. He still has some issues with illegal play that Martin will have to work on, but overall he skated well and made positive plays.

We'll probably get killed tomorrow night, but I thought that on the weekend so who knows. We've caught some puck luck while having no luck whatsoever in the injury department. Eventually, we'll start to fade if we can't get some bodies back.

We'll probably get killed tomorrow night, but I thought that on the weekend so who knows. We've caught some puck luck while having no luck whatsoever in the injury department. Eventually, we'll start to fade if we can't get some bodies back.

We were supposed to get killed by Detroit. We didn't, Laraque gave it to them.

We'll see. Malkin and Crosby have not been themselves this season, and they are as depleted as we are in terms of injuries.

Likely going to be a scrappy game, but we'll see what happens.

Lets say Habs win next game...

...they are 5 points from the top of the east. hehehe

of course on the flip side if we lose we will be firing gainey martin boucher and sending price to the minors. :wacko:

I've been noticing more and more that hip checks around knee level are being called as trips. I guess they're trying to protect players' knees. That one was very borderline, though it did look like Gorges almost missed the hit and stuck out his arm to make sure Boll went down.

I find hip checks to be the best in hockey. If they start trying to phase them out, I'll be quite disappointed.

I find hip checks to be the best in hockey. If they start trying to phase them out, I'll be quite disappointed.

Craig Ludwig was pretty good at them.

Then again, Craig Ludwig had hips & backside as big as a wrecking ball.

Well, that's 4 bad periods played in the last 6. I know we are injured and I'm happy with the win, but I'm not as happy as a lot of you are. Between Detroit and CBJ, I've seen a lot of bad hockey on our side. The only thing that saved us was Carey. (He's back big time.) And I guess in the end that makes me happier than if the team played great and he looked weak, but we fluked a win. Great third though. I felt that Sergei looked great. He didn't look that great at first , but as the game went on, he really made things happen out there. He has great offensive vision, and I hope he can stay and be happy. MAB was fantastic. He still tries those high risk passes, and he needs to be careful with those. He looked really good though. I'm very happy with the 09/10 version of O'Byrne so far. Different guy out there.

What I tell my friends is that you do not get more points if you dominate all three periods and score 7-1, than if you squeek out a 3-2 win. With the deck stacked as it is, I'll take the positives from this game.

- Pax's has great outside speed going down the wing, and seems to work well with Moen and Metro, I think he found a home for when all the regulars come back.

- MAB is getting better, he made a couple good defensive plays tonight; still has that 'give me a heart attack' pass cross the front of Price.

- I'm noticing the forwards coming back 1/2 way through the Habs D zone to get the puck, instead of having the D try to make the long bomb passes, that most teams stack the neutral zone to intercept.

- When the forwards get that pass (especially Cammy), they can wheel through the zone. I love seeing Cammy with the puck.

- Plek is becoming such a great all around player, from PP to PK, to forechecking, blocking shots.

- Andrei blocked a shot tonight...cudos!

- The young blood is injecting some life, it's great to see.

- Price, amazing. Love the fire when he got pissed and slammed his stick after the 6th off man rush by the BJs.

Try looking on the bright side, glass half-full, 7 of 8 pts, with close to a 1/2 of our salary cap players out.

Well, that's 4 bad periods played in the last 6. I know we are injured and I'm happy with the win, but I'm not as happy as a lot of you are. Between Detroit and CBJ, I've seen a lot of bad hockey on our side. The only thing that saved us was Carey. (He's back big time.) And I guess in the end that makes me happier than if the team played great and he looked weak, but we fluked a win. Great third though. I felt that Sergei looked great. He didn't look that great at first , but as the game went on, he really made things happen out there. He has great offensive vision, and I hope he can stay and be happy. MAB was fantastic. He still tries those high risk passes, and he needs to be careful with those. He looked really good though. I'm very happy with the 09/10 version of O'Byrne so far. Different guy out there.

Your' d*mn right, constitency is a problem and it's quite normal with all the unexperienced guy out there.

But you know what they play hard when theu come back ftom a bad shift. I'talking about White, Pyatt who are

my big surprise players.

Carey sees big pucks, but more importantly, as finally some luck on his side and bring us some wins. Great.

Sergei is an NHL caliber player on the ice, he is plagued with the referees because he is gutsy, but you know what

he is the best bet we can make for having points on the scoreboard anywhere out of our 5 million guys.

MAB gives me arirhytmia with passes in front of the net. But he his a fairly good band aid.

I'm very happy with the 09/10 version of O'Byrne so far. Different guy out there....shh keep that a good secret

im more than staisfay with his stay at home and strenght to push guys around. Mara should learn from that.

In fact i would send Mara to the bench press before every practice and with his format he would push opponent with the puck

thing that he doesn't do at all. Other than that he is showing to be a great team player.

- Plek is becoming such a great all around player, from PP to PK, to forechecking, blocking shots.

Ya, we always knew how good he was defensively, but when you put the whole package together, it is impressive. If he can continue like this, we are not going to be able to sign him and Carey this year.

I hate the cap.

Edited by BCHabnut

Great comeback last night, what an exciting hockey game from start to finish!

PROS:

- Laps took it to another level and showed what he can do out there when he actually wants the puck

- Carey was stellar all night, can't really fault him on any of the goals, and he kept them in the game for the first 30min when CBJ were skating circles around us

- MAB and SK played well

- I get excited every time Camms has the puck on his stick, he is a bona fide sniper and he knows it too

CONS:

- CBJ must've had 8-9 odd man rushes in the first 30min, I was literally watching the TV in awe at the neutral zone speed they were bringing, so thank God Carey showed up tonite or it could've been ugly

- it took 40min for the team to wake up and start playing hockey

Overall a solid W at home, and good momentum to take into the Pens' barn.