Jay Leach to San Jose

simonus

Per Eric Engels via Tony Marinaro - Jay Leach is off to San Jose.

I guess with Gill's return on the horizon, this makes sense.

RDS.ca says there was a trade set up for him, but he had to be submitted to waivers exclusively to the teams who bid on him when he originally hit waivers, before the transaction could be completed. THis means that deal is nixed and Leach goes to SJ.

RDS.ca says there was a trade set up for him, but he had to be submitted to waivers exclusively to the teams who bid on him when he originally hit waivers, before the transaction could be completed. THis means that deal is nixed and Leach goes to SJ.

Wha? Once again please, this time in English. :lol:

Sorry, that just doesnt make sense to me. Do you mean Bob had a trade lined up? or there was a trade in the process when Bob nabbed him off waivers?

Still confused with the waiver thing though. If there was a trade in progress and Leach needed to be waived to be eligable then why wouldnt 1 of the interested teams just nab him off waivers? Or is that what happened? Was SJ the team interested in trading for him? No other team tried to get him off waivers, or he wouldnt be SJ bound because they are currently the top team, and in the event of a tie the crappiest team ends up with waived players.

Cant really feel sorry for Leach, SJ probably has a good chance of winning the Cup this year.

Wha? Once again please, this time in English. :lol:

Sorry, that just doesnt make sense to me. Do you mean Bob had a trade lined up? or there was a trade in the process when Bob nabbed him off waivers?

Still confused with the waiver thing though. If there was a trade in progress and Leach needed to be waived to be eligable then why wouldnt 1 of the interested teams just nab him off waivers? Or is that what happened? Was SJ the team interested in trading for him? No other team tried to get him off waivers, or he wouldnt be SJ bound because they are currently the top team, and in the event of a tie the crappiest team ends up with waived players.

Cant really feel sorry for Leach, SJ probably has a good chance of winning the Cup this year.

I think I could answer, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

When leach was picked up by the Habs, some other teams wanted to claim him off waivers. But Montreal were in front of them in the "claiming order list".

To trade a player you claimed off waivers, you need to offer him off waivers to the teams that were interested to claim him first.

Looks like San Jose were one of these. The trade was probably set with a team who didn't expressed interest for Leach when we picked him first.

I wasn't very fond of Jay Leach. I don't think he would've been a good addition to the depth chart anyway. It's too bad we didn't have one of those Rivet/Gorges type trades with San Jose again (not that Gorges is amazing ATM.....) ^_^

Damn

I think Leach did a good job with the Habs :clap:

Good luck to him, he is joining a solid team

Agree 100%. I was very surprised with his play as a defensive Defenseman, especially for $247k

( question, does that mean SJ got this guy for $124k? ) I understand Gainey had to make room on the roster however, the safer bet would have been Bergeron waivered back to Hamilton then recall him when needed. I can’t see any team jumping on Bergeron even for $375k.

Leach got 1:10 of ice time as a forward (LW) , what did JM see in the 1:10 that he could not have see at practice?. As well, why not Bergeron at LW instead of Leach. I have a lot of questions with his coaching style for someone who never played a game in the NHL.

I hope this doesn’t turn into another (Ron Hainsey) Gainey dumb mistake

Agree 100%. I was very surprised with his play as a defensive Defenseman, especially for $247k

( question, does that mean SJ got this guy for $124k? ) I understand Gainey had to make room on the roster however, the safer bet would have been Bergeron waivered back to Hamilton then recall him when needed. I can’t see any team jumping on Bergeron even for $375k.

Leach got 1:10 of ice time as a forward (LW) , what did JM see in the 1:10 that he could not have see at practice?. As well, why not Bergeron at LW instead of Leach. I have a lot of questions with his coaching style for someone who never played a game in the NHL.

Are we really concerned about an AHL, depth player? Also, I cringed when you described Gainey's mistake. We get it, you don't like Bob, but your choice of words.

Jay Leach is the new Michael Leighton. Remember when we had him? He was on at least 4 different teams that year (and then we traded him at the draft to Carolina, where he still is). The reason? He was initially claimed off re-entry waivers, just like we did with Leach. For teams starved for cap space, he's as cheap a warm body as you can find.

We don't have the roster space for him when we get healthy. He was a mercenary. He's not a gem.

I like how you're questioning Martin's coaching style since he didn't ever play a game in the NHL. And you're who, exactly? Mark Messier?

Are we really concerned about an AHL, depth player? Also, I cringed when you described Gainey's mistake. We get it, you don't like Bob, but your choice of words.

I’m happy you finally ‘got it’ after reading many of your posts telling other members “you got it”, one has to wonder if you may have fallen under the ‘ostrich syndrome ‘ Get your head out of the sand, and see the team management as it actually is.

What you see as a AHL player, others see as a NHL roster player and good financial management with the lowest cap hit.

I’m happy you finally ‘got it’ after reading many of your posts telling other members “you got it”, one has to wonder if you may have fallen under the ‘ostrich syndrome ‘ Get your head out of the sand, and see the team management as it actually is.

What you see as a AHL player, others see as a NHL roster player and good financial management with the lowest cap hit.

Jay Leach will never make an impact in the NHL. And also, I come to this site for intelligent hockey talk. Not to read some clown call a respected hockey man dumb. Read some of the top posters on this board, they just never drop to your level. That's something I'm afraid you'll never comprehend, unless you're 12 years old, than you've got time to grow up.

Edited by Habsy

I think I could answer, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

When leach was picked up by the Habs, some other teams wanted to claim him off waivers. But Montreal were in front of them in the "claiming order list".

To trade a player you claimed off waivers, you need to offer him off waivers to the teams that were interested to claim him first.

Looks like San Jose were one of these. The trade was probably set with a team who didn't expressed interest for Leach when we picked him first.

Oh ok, now that its worded like that it makes complete sense. Thx for the correction.

Its a good rule that lesser teams cant nab up every player on waivers that better teams want just so they can trade them to the better teams for picks.

SJ must have been 1 of the original teams that wanted him off waivers. I wonder what team Bob was trying to trade him to? I guess technically it could have been SJ, well until he had to hit waivers and they got him for free. I guess theres info thats not publicly released like how many teams tried to pick somebody up off waivers. I wonder how many teams tried to pick up Bryzgalov when the Ducks waived him the other year, it must have been more teams than just Phoenix.

I've seen waived players get traded before but I guess in those cases no other teams tried to pick them up off waivers at the time.