Centennial Game GDT: Bruins vs Canadiens

dlbalr

two jersey retirements tonight!

Elmer Lach and Butch Bouchard.

Didn't see that coming.

Wow. Usually they advertise these way in advance. I've wanted them to retire Lach's number, but I don't know much about Butch Bouchard. It may be overkill? We're running out of low numbers!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks Like Ryan O'byrne is gonna have to look for a new number!

Usually if someone is currently wearing a number that is getting retired, they let him keep it until he leaves. Of course, he could very well give up the number on his own out of respect.

JC, a few more shots wouldn't hurt either.

8 in 2 periods last night? Simply pathetic.

You're right, but we had a decent 3rd period. I saw good offensive plays by AK, Laps, Gomez and SK. Cammalleri had a bad game.

We need better communication between defensemen and forwards. And also better speed and quicker passes to get of the zone. Lots of improvement needed, I know, but I definitely think that we have a much better team than we have seen Thursday.

The idea is to hand in there, get better collectively until Gionta, Markov and Pouliot (don't forget this new guy) are able to play.

Hang in there Habs!

Lach deserves it, but Butch Bouchard...? 4 All-Star berths in 15 years, no significant individual honours, no real mythic dimension: what gives???

(I'll tell you what gives: politics. They want to retire a French Canadian hero along with Lach on this 'special night.')

If Bouchard gets in, how does a Koivu stay out? This is a very significant dropping of the standard as far as I can see, compounding the earlier error with Cournoyer. Goddammit, can't they do ANYTHING right any more?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Wrong. Pyatt, White, Max Pac, Sergei, Metro and Plekanec improved since Game 1.

How can you expect the collective play to improve when every regular all stars players (but Camm) were out of the lineup ?

Put a UFA team together and try to build something from scratch, that was the plan. The plan got ######ed up on Game 1...

They've had 2 months to improve as a team. They haven't. F*ck the excuses. Excuses, excuses, always excuses. "It's the french medias, it's the pressure, its the Centennial, its the injuries, it's the new teammate/coach/system/jersey, it's the schedule, it's the freaking planet alignments; please let us lose games without feeling guilt or remorse"

Enough of this cope out crap. One objective, 3 letters: WIN. Shut up and do it; or at least if you're too talentless to do it, look like you're trying and are pissed off to lose. Anything else is unacceptable, no matter what excuses you can come up with.

No patience for shitty performances, no-showing and letting the opposition walk all over us anymore. Enough is enough.

They've had 2 months to improve as a team. They haven't. F*ck the excuses. Excuses, excuses, always excuses. "It's the french medias, it's the pressure, its the Centennial, its the injuries, it's the new teammate/coach/system/jersey, it's the schedule, it's the freaking planet alignments; please let us lose games without feeling guilt or remorse"

Enough of this cope out crap. One objective, 3 letters: WIN. Shut up and do it; or at least if you're too talentless to do it, look like you're trying and are pissed off to lose. Anything else is unacceptable, no matter what excuses you can come up with.

No patience for shitty performances, no-showing and letting the opposition walk all over us anymore. Enough is enough.

Well spoken. :clap:

(For the record, I *do* think that re-integrating a bunch of injured players is difficult and DOES often lead a team to struggle briefly - especially when the team never gelled in the first place. However, we're getting to the point where the entire season hangs in the balance, so KoZed's attitude really is the bottom line).

RDS just said Ken Dryden's going to put on the pads for the first time since he retired. They got me. I wasn't super into it, but they pulled me in. I loved it when Bob Gainey skated out, in full gear, at his jersey retirement.

Lach deserves it, but Butch Bouchard...? 4 All-Star berths in 15 years, no significant individual honours, no real mythic dimension: what gives???

(I'll tell you what gives: politics. They want to retire a French Canadian hero along with Lach on this 'special night.')

If Bouchard gets in, how does a Koivu stay out? This is a very significant dropping of the standard as far as I can see, compounding the earlier error with Cournoyer. Goddammit, can't they do ANYTHING right any more?

Bouchard was a Captain for 8 years, won 4 Cups, first team all star 3 times, I don't see a problem.

I am a bit puzzled as to why Lapointe seems to have gotten the shaft from the 70s era though.

Bouchard was a Captain for 8 years, won 4 Cups, first team all star 3 times, I don't see a problem.

I am a bit puzzled as to why Lapointe seems to have gotten the shaft from the 70s era though.

So anyone who was an all star Cup-winning Canadien should have their number retired?

This isn't the New Jersey Devils. To have your sweater in the rafters you should rank with Harvey, Richard, Morenz, Lafleur, Dryden, Roy, et al.. "Merely excellent" players need not apply.

Koivu will be retired. Mark my words.

So anyone who was an all star Cup-winning Canadien should have their number retired?

This isn't the New Jersey Devils. To have your sweater in the rafters you should rank with Harvey, Richard, Morenz, Lafleur, Dryden, Roy, et al.. "Merely excellent" players need not apply.

Koivu will be retired. Mark my words.

How are the two comparable? Koivu was the best of the worst for a few years. Jersey retirement goes to the best of the best.

Bouchard is a stretch but there are probably still half a dozen names before Koivu's. We haven't even retired Toe Blake yet!

How are the two comparable? Koivu was the best of the worst for a few years. Jersey retirement goes to the best of the best.

Bouchard is a stretch but there are probably still half a dozen names before Koivu's. We haven't even retired Toe Blake yet!

Best of the best. Agreed. That leaves out Cournoyer and Bouchard...possibly even Serge Savard (although he has extra standing as a "builder").

I dunno, maybe I'm too particular. What I'm suggesting is that we are now on the path toward allowing sentiment rather than rigorous standards to dictate retirements. That way lies #11, the most beloved player of his generation. Oh well, I suppose now is not the night for crankiness.

Oh well, I suppose now is not the night for crankiness.

Oh come now. As Habs fans, every moment we aren't up by six goals is a moment for crankiness.

Edited by Colin

Best of the best. Agreed. That leaves out Cournoyer and Bouchard...possibly even Serge Savard (although he has extra standing as a "builder").

I dunno, maybe I'm too particular. What I'm suggesting is that we are now on the path toward allowing sentiment rather than rigorous standards to dictate retirements. That way lies #11, the most beloved player of his generation. Oh well, I suppose now is not the night for crankiness.

Well, I wasn't aware there was that much emotional attachment on the part of fans toward Butch Bouchard. As you said, he doesn't have much legendary status. It's either a hockey decision or a political decision. I don't think it's emotional.

Just woke up from my nap, turned the TV on, tuned to RDS... and to my huge surprise, for the first time in eons, saw real Montreal Canadiens players on the ice.

You must have gotten a weird feeling

well damnit... they did it right.

Yup

Former Habs stepping on the ice.....nice

Still, I just can't understand why people can be pissed at the team when what we see is so logical given our current roster ANT was so obvious first.

I expected nothing more, nothing less than what we have now. It was written in the sky that they would finnish the present season with less than 90 points.

Don't get me wrong, I AM dissapointed, but not pissed like some of us, because I don't think the injury factor is an excuse at all. It is the reality. You could not expect the Flyers to win without Pronger, Carter and Richards for extended period of time nor the Avalanche without Liles, Stastny and Hejduk. We are not a top team this season, and even less with the injuries. I'm even surprised we're not bottom 5 right now.

Why people on this board were giving 100+ points to the Habs before the season started was beyond me. Just like people who are upset about how we play with Pyatt-White-MAB-D'ago-etc... Sometimes you try and give all you can, but you face better opponents and it looks like you do not put any effort. I don't think this is the problem right now. But, hey, I might be all wrong...

Can we use any of the former players being honoured in the pregame ceremony? I'd take a Richer or a Damphousse in the lineup tonight.

But yeah, what a great collection of former habs greats and an awesome job putting it all together. Can't believe all of them are together in the same place in full uniform.

Aragorn speaks french with a Gaspesian accent. :P Awesome.

Can we use any of the former players being honoured in the pregame ceremony? I'd take a Richer or a Damphousse in the lineup tonight.

Heck, I'd take Lafleur just for his shot. I'm sure he could still put it on net more often than any of our current players.