Centennial Game GDT: Bruins vs Canadiens

dlbalr

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only fitting that, on the 100th anniversary, the Montreal Canadiens pulverize the Boston Bruins. :clap: :hlogo: :clap:

Maybe the hockey gods haven't forgotten us completely. Yet.

Two notes: Price was a BEAST, eerily Roy-like out there. And so, let it be said, was Hal Gill, a bona-fide Macguire-style MONSTER on the 5-on-3. :clap::clap: Personally, I think Hal Gill, however maligned and sometimes erratic he is, means a whole lot to this team.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Now retiring Butch Bouchard (90 yrs old) and Elmer Lach (91 yrs old) numbers. #3 and #16. How long is that for a wait...

Wow. Look how happy those two men look.

Very nice that they got it done while they're still with us.

As usual, Montreal pulls off a fantastic celebration. So awesome seeing those guys out in hockey gear and pads. The only thing I didn't like was that Henri Richard didn't get a personal introduction like Lafleur, Roy, and Beliveau got. He certainly deserved the same treatment. Quite cool that Howe was there (and knew how to get an roaring ovation from the crowd :lol: ). Was kind of sad hearing him speak, he doesn't sound too well these days. I can't believe how old Lyle Odelein looked, he's aged a ton since he retired. I didn't even recognize him.

Maybe this event can help the team turn a corner. With so many new guys in our core, I think in some ways the team didn't fully realize what it means to be a Canadien. With tonight's event, they've been given a terrific crash course. Perhaps now they will fully understand the words, "To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high." (Sure, you could say the ceremonies closing the Forum and opening the Molson/Bell Center didn't wake the team up, but I'll blame that one on the Forum ghosts being upset. ;) )

P.S. I'm surprised nobody questioned Karl Dykhuis being there, haha.

well, les boys beat the refs and the bruins when they HAD to win! i'm so glad they didn't get embarassed on birthday night. Gill and Gorges were great on the PK. Gomez was missed. SK is hurt though, and that sucks. Cammy scores a bunch.

did anyone notice that we got outshot 38-29. Price was on. WOW

Edited by BCHabnut

Very nice that they got it done while they're still with us.

As usual, Montreal pulls off a fantastic celebration. So awesome seeing those guys out in hockey gear and pads. The only thing I didn't like was that Henri Richard didn't get a personal introduction like Lafleur, Roy, and Beliveau got. He certainly deserved the same treatment. Quite cool that Howe was there (and knew how to get an roaring ovation from the crowd :lol: ). Was kind of sad hearing him speak, he doesn't sound too well these days. I can't believe how old Lyle Odelein looked, he's aged a ton since he retired. I didn't even recognize him.

P.S. I'm surprised nobody questioned Karl Dykhuis being there, haha.

all three observations that i made. No personal intro for Henri, odelein loks older than Lach, and Dykuis? wtf? and no saku.

well, les boys beat the refs and the bruins when they HAD to win! i'm so glad they didn't get embarassed on birthday night. Gill and Gorges were great on the PK. Gomez was missed. SK is hurt though, and that sucks. Cammy scores a bunch.

Yeah, the leaders - or the guys who need to be leaders - delivered tonight. Cammy is the team's best player and man, did he rise to the occasion, as the best player should. Gomez did exactly what Gainey acquired him to do, quietly make things happen. Moen and Metropolit delivered the desperate extra effort you need from "energy" guys. Gill was an absolute rock defensively. And Price was unreal. Key guys delivered key performances, and maybe with more of our key guys actually in the lineup, we can see that more often. One can hope.

all three observations that i made. No personal intro for Henri, odelein loks older than Lach, and Dykuis? wtf? and no saku.

Saku couldnt come. Anaheim was playing Minnesota tonight (Lats gave the win to Minny with a shootout goal!). Besides, I think his departure in a weird fashion is still a bit too fresh.

Saku couldnt come. Anaheim was playing Minnesota tonight (Lats gave the win to Minny with a shootout goal!). Besides, I think his departure in a weird fashion is still a bit too fresh.

oh ya i know, but even though he led the crappiest era in habs history, i'm used to seeing him at these things.lol.

WHere was Denis Savard?

The legends suiting up was amazing. Seeing Roy's iconic mask on his head one last time was great.

I tried to explain to my gf how cool that was, but I just ended up sounding like a loser lol.

Listening to a special L'Antichambre edition, it's great.

A very interesting anecdote that Claude Lemieux mentionned (and confirmed by others): Cammalleri was about the only Habs player who went to the Alumni Lounge before the game to shake hands with all the former Habs players. Pepe said they (the ex-Habs) inspired Camm; and that maybe there was some captain material there. o_O

A very interesting anecdote that Claude Lemieux mentionned (and confirmed by others): Cammalleri was about the only Habs player who went to the Alumni Lounge before the game to shake hands with all the former Habs players. Pepe said they (the ex-Habs) inspired Camm; and that maybe there was some captain material there. o_O

That Cammy, he seems to genuinely want to embrace the whole Montreal Canadiens thing. And he has the mojo to use it as an inspiration instead of wilting under the "pressure." :hlogo: I'm sooo tired of players fading instead of stepping up like men. Tonight Cammy and the rest stepped up and it was good to see.

It's easy to think that players just see it as a job, but wise ones will understand that, in playing here, they're part of something greater than themselves and that, potentially, it can be something that enriches the rest of their lives. I wonder if a Sergei Kostitsyn can even comprehend that concept.

I wish I had a list of who else were the few to do that so I could know which players to still have respect for. Sounds like most of the team doesn't deserve to wear the bleu, blanc, et rouge.

Also, I was surprised Chelios wasn't there. If Keane could take a game off in the A, I'm sure Chelios could have also.

I wish I had a list of who else were the few to do that so I could know which players to still have respect for. Sounds like most of the team doesn't deserve to wear the bleu, blanc, et rouge.

Well, hold on there. First, they may have a pre-game routine and not like to muck it up. Second, they might well have felt a bit like intruders doing that - it could have an air of crashing someone else's party. (For instance, if I were a Glen Metropolit, basically a nothing in historical hockey terms, I can readily imagine myself feeling awkward inserting myself into a reminiscing session between Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden on a day like this). And I've been in that lounge, it's pretty small and intimate, doesn't lend itself to a swarm of twentysomethings barging in. Third, the players may have other, ongoing opportunities to hobnob with the greats.

Then again, I'm pretty sure guys like the Kostityns don't give a sh*t. :huh:

I asked this before and nobody answered, so I'll give it one more try: Did anyone else notice Bob Gainey looking kind of isolated out there? I SWEAR I saw him averting Jarvis. Did he talk to Carbo at all? Or am I being melodramatic? Hard to revel in the glory days when you've fired a bunch of the guys on the ice with you, I guess.

I wonder why some guys put on the blades, and others did not?

Was it their option? And was the invite extended to every ex-habs?

Where was Jocelyn Thibault? lol

Edited by Wamsley01