Centennial Game GDT: Bruins vs Canadiens

dlbalr

Sad to say, Colin, but I think he's dying. My wife looked it up last night and apparently the cancer came back for the 3rd time, this time in his lungs. He has stopped the treatments and said that he will live what he has left to the fullest.

jackp is correct, the last I heard he was still doing a radio show and was weak but fighting on, I know we all wish him the best.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jackp is correct, the last I heard he was still doing a radio show and was weak but fighting on, I know we all wish him the best.

Pat Burns still does radio in Montreal. He's on CKAC Sports every morning. He has his 5-10 minutes with the guys on the morning show. But it is true, apparently he's living out his final days in Florida!

You guys wanted Burns, Koivu, and Savard... I was looking for Jacques Lemaire since Lafleur and Shutt were out there.

Too bad everyone couldn't be there. That was a special night.

Guys like Lemaire, Tremblay, Koivu etc.etc.etc. had commitments with their respective teams!

I had the same discussion at the garage this morning. One guy, obviously an anti-Canadian still living in the nostalgia of the Quebec Nordiques' era, was making a big fuss about the guys who weren't there. His point was that the celebrations were not for everybody, there were still sour grapes in the organization and some guys had been forgotten all along.

Well, I won't say that all the 700 + players in the Habs history have a good souvenir of their carreer. Obviously, there are sour grapes. Still, we could not have everybody there; some had other obligations, others were on vacation or sick. Over all, I believe that the evening was great, the celebrations a big success, and the game, an excellent end to 100 exceptional years.

JMHO

Not my idea, local radio suggestion, but announcing the new captain woulda been cool. Maybe with a Saku Koivu hand off message on the big screen. The night was sensational though, as close to perfect as you can get, in my humble opinion.

I just watched it again, this time the CBC version (I watched RDS the first time through). CBC had that interview with Patrick and his Death Stare - I wonder if he winked at the Bruins after the game? RDS, though, in my opinion, has a better sound mix. When the Habs score, their mics have to be dimmed because it gets so loud. The CBC don't have to do that, and it makes the game a little more flat. Hand it to RDS, they offer viewing fans more passion than the national English broadcaster. Still, it was nice to go back and watch all the interviews done by the CBC. I particularly enjoyed the one with Lafleur, Roy, and Dryden - and Dryden's statement about the past being the past and how it's time for the new Canadiens to establish their mark.

One thing that didn't change for me from either broadcast, sound differential and all, was the goosebumps and tears in the eyes when the greats, led by Patty Rooooooooo-ahhhhhh came out for their skate. Unbelievable moment.

Gotta say, one of the first things that went through my mind after the initial shock was that Nilan and Lemieux would be just about the perfect tonic for our team. A pugilist willing to go at any time - and with some legit hockey skills to boot - and an agitator of the highest quality. The game against the Bruins was awesome, of course, but I can't help thinking that those two elements on this team on a permanent basis would be incredible. Laraque just doesn't have it anymore because of the faulty back (I believe) and while Lapierre is a skilled agitator, he'd be better if he'd beat the shite out of the occasional prig and then backed it all up scoring some important goals.

Hopefully the wife isn't too bothered that I protected the ceremonies on the PVR. Well, let's be honest here: if she don't like it, too bleedin' bad. ;)

Oh, and before I forget: watched that hattrick goal by Cammi a few more times. The English coveraged missed him looking at Muller while saying, "Wow......Wow" with the huge smile on his face. Huge miss by the CBC, and yet you could still tell from their coverage just what it meant to Cammi. You know those defining moments in life? I believe Cammi now bleeds bleu-blanc-rouge. Like Koivu's cancer comeback. Like Roy's epic Cup run in '86. Those moments that tattoo the CH on the heart. Cammi now really gets it.

Not my idea, local radio suggestion, but announcing the new captain woulda been cool. Maybe with a Saku Koivu hand off message on the big screen. The night was sensational though, as close to perfect as you can get, in my humble opinion.

When I saw Markov in the banner lifting ceremonies, that tells you who the organization wants as capt.

I just hope that the Forum Ghosts are finally at peace with the Punch line's Elmer Lach and the BIg (somewhat like O'Byrne) Dman Bouchard, getting the recognition they deserve.

I really liked what an "old timer" RDS wrote; that how special it was for him, to see a still fit Elmer Lach (91 years) and a frail "Butch" Bouchard (90) make their way to the centre of the rink...together the first pushing the latter's chair....Fittingly he said that Mr. LAch was now in turn helping his brother in arms, "Here my friend, after all those years that you stood up and protected me during those glorious battles.... Now let me do my part" ...........I'm tearing again LOL

When I saw Markov in the banner lifting ceremonies, that tells you who the organization wants as capt.

I just hope that the Forum Ghosts are finally at peace with the Punch line's Elmer Lach and the BIg (somewhat like O'Byrne) Dman Bouchard, getting the recognition they deserve.

I really liked what an "old timer" RDS wrote; that how special it was for him, to see a still fit Elmer Lach (91 years) and a frail "Butch" Bouchard (90) make their way to the centre of the rink...together the first pushing the latter's chair....Fittingly he said that Mr. LAch was now in turn helping his brother in arms, "Here my friend, after all those years that you stood up and protected me during those glorious battles.... Now let me do my part" ...........I'm tearing again LOL

But they clearly presented Markov as "an assistant captain" this night... Dunno. I wouldn't bet on it at all...

Edited by JoeLassister