GDT: Flyers vs Canadiens

dlbalr

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop putting Metropolit on the PP.

Who else do you play on the 2nd unit... at least he will go to the net. I just wish the would realize that Markov and Kovy are not there so they need a simple, hard working PP strategy.

I feel for defensemen these days.. puck is in the corner and he is getting run, so he steps in a plays the man.. obstruction. If he turns to get the puck, Asham drills him... no win..

Who else do you play on the 2nd unit... at least he will go to the net. I just wish the would realize that Markov and Kovy are not there so they need a simple, hard working PP strategy.

1st unit: Camm, Plekanec, Andrei K, Hammer, Bergy

2nd unit: Pacioretty, Gomez, Sergei K, Mara, Spacek

Simple.

Simple.

Your second unit will not have anyone in front of the net, which is why he has Metro there. Plus, Metro is a more reliable scorer these days then SK. :)

Still, if you are going to just dick around with it, it doesn't really matter who is on the ice.

That was a classic example of why we are screwed on the PP to PK ratio... no call on the take down on cammy, but if it was the other way we would be in the box...

Finally.. high slot and put it on net.. flutter ball for the goal...

Your second unit will not have anyone in front of the net, which is why he has Metro there. Plus, Metro is a more reliable scorer these days then SK. 

Pacioretty, in front of the net. Better than the little Metropolit. 

Simple.

All lefties. Need a righty for one-timers from the offwing. Jacques' options are Metro, D'Ago, Lapierre, Laraque. Vets are generally more reliable on the PP. AK46, for all his skill, still hasn't figured out the PP. Gionta will give them a real option.

sounds like Mara is going to be out for a while... I guess Bergeron back to the blue line?

Mara was the guy I had sitting when Markov came back... he was playing the worst of the 6 out there. Didn't want him to get hurt, but...

All lefties. Need a righty for one-timers from the offwing. Jacques' options are Metro, D'Ago, Lapierre, Laraque. Vets are generally more reliable on the PP. AK46, for all his skill, still hasn't figured out the PP. Gionta will give them a real option.

Ok, if you want to talk real strategy...

1st unit should be completely based on Bergeron's shot/rebounds. Someone on the left point that can pass him the puck; someone on the upper right circle who can either face shots and drop him passes or take shots himself. That's either Plex or Camm. You need a C to win the faceoffs, so Plex's in anyway. On the left side you need someone who can go to the net when Bergeron shoots and pick up the trash. Someone with good hands who can also exchange the puck with Hamrlik to get the box moving. Can be Pacioretty or AK.

2nd unit should be different, just to make it harder to counter. Make it based on plays down low. Gomez is such a good passer, make the PP based on him setting up one-timers. You want shooting wingers, guys that can do damage from close in: AK/Pacioretty/Lapierre/Moen. I would stay away from smaller guys like Dago/SK/Metro. Exception is Gio because he has such a nice touch from in-close. I'd want a 2nd unit that's in the goalie's crease all the time. If Gomez cant set up the forwards, than the Plan B should be Spacek at the point. The other D (Mara) is not very relevant, could even be a forward. 

Ok, if you want to talk real strategy...

1st unit should be completely based on Bergeron's shot/rebounds. Someone on the left point that can pass him the puck; someone on the upper right circle who can either face shots and drop him passes or take shots himself. That's either Plex or Camm. You need a C to win the faceoffs, so Plex's in anyway. On the left side you need someone who can go to the net when Bergeron shoots and pick up the trash. Someone with good hands who can also exchange the puck with Hamrlik to get the box moving. Can be Pacioretty or AK.

2nd unit should be different, just to make it harder to counter. Make it based on plays down low. Gomez is such a good passer, make the PP based on him setting up one-timers. You want shooting wingers, guys that can do damage from close in: AK/Pacioretty/Lapierre/Moen. I would stay away from smaller guys like Dago/SK/Metro. Exception is Gio because he has such a nice touch from in-close. I'd want a 2nd unit that's in the goalie's crease all the time. If Gomez cant set up the forwards, than the Plan B should be Spacek at the point. The other D (Mara) is not very relevant, could even be a forward. 

For that, I'd use:

PP1: Pacioretty (park his butt in front) - Pleaknec (down low) - Cammalleri (half boards) - Bergeron (right point) - Hamrlik (left)

PP2: Lapierre (left crease) - Gomez - Kostitsyn (right crease, faceoff dot) - Spacek - token (if a forward, maybe SK)

Problem with PP2 is the overload on the left side could make it easy to defend. If that's the case, maybe Gorges should be the token D... he makes smart pinches from time to time.

Edited by saskhab