Injury thread

Habsfan

I don't even want to think about that. If Cammy's injury is that bad, we could be seeing a return to the late 90's type of success again (or lack thereof).

Ever since the Roy trade, I honestly don't think any team has had such bad luck with injuries. I can't remember the exact injuries, but i remember in the late 90's and early 2000's the habs were actually setting records for serious injuries and number of man games lost as a team to injuries.

Some of the ones I can remember at the top of my head are the following:

Koivu- knee, cancer, near blindness + various other injuries

Savage - can't even remember, but do remember him losing a lot of time shoulder/consucsions?

Zednik - never the same after almost being decapitated against the burins (then almost getting killed as a panther)

Audette - sliced hand/wrist/can't remember exactly

Malakhov- knee injuries after finally showing signs of being a top dman ended up being gone for most of at least one year

Rucincky- was gone for a big chunk of a year

Souray- shoulder/wrist over a number of years

Lang - sliced tenden

Markov - last year and this year

Higgins - don't remeber the injuries, but lost quite a few games

Komi- shoulder

Gionta - foot

Cammy - knee/ankle??

You forgot the most disgusting injury :

I can,t find a video of Savage's injury, but i'm pretty sure Ian Laperriere hit him and Savage was doing the bacon on the ice.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even want to think about that. If Cammy's injury is that bad, we could be seeing a return to the late 90's type of success again (or lack thereof).

Ever since the Roy trade, I honestly don't think any team has had such bad luck with injuries. I can't remember the exact injuries, but i remember in the late 90's and early 2000's the habs were actually setting records for serious injuries and number of man games lost as a team to injuries.

Savage - can't even remember, but do remember him losing a lot of time shoulder/consucsions?

Zednik - never the same after almost being decapitated against the burins (then almost getting killed as a panther)

Malakhov- knee injuries after finally showing signs of being a top dman ended up being gone for most of at least one year

Lang - sliced tenden

Komi- shoulder

Gionta - foot

Cammy - knee/ankle??

Brian Savage got his neck broken when he came into collision head first into Ian Laperriere's chest. Game was in LA, still remember it.

Audette was on fire since acquired from Dallas. On an offensive play he sort of fell down/dove and got skated over his wrist, just above his glove. Bloody mess, he ran to the dressing room.

Higgins blew up his ankle and lost a gear because of it.

You can add to the list:

Trent McCleary receiving a slap shot from Chris Therien right in the throat, fracturing his larynx and almost killing him right there.

Patrice Brisebois fighting chronic back problems and later on heart problems.

Benoit Brunet being injured every season

Steve Bégin being the 2nd coming of Benoit Brunet

Craig Rivet getting injured bad in a fight (broken jaw, I think) and never being the same ever again.

Jason Ward developing chronic injury issues right after getting drafted. Completely screwed up his development and career.

Jose Theodore's courageous fight with chronic hair-loss...

Brian Savage got his neck broken when he came into collision head first into Ian Laperriere's chest. Game was in LA, still remember it.

Audette was on fire since acquired from Dallas. On an offensive play he sort of fell down/dove and got skated over his wrist, just above his glove. Bloody mess, he ran to the dressing room.

Higgins blew up his ankle and lost a gear because of it.

You can add to the list:

Trent McCleary receiving a slap shot from Chris Therien right in the throat, fracturing his larynx and almost killing him right there.

Patrice Brisebois fighting chronic back problems and later on heart problems.

Benoit Brunet being injured every season

Steve Bégin being the 2nd coming of Benoit Brunet

Craig Rivet getting injured bad in a fight (broken jaw, I think) and never being the same ever again.

Jason Ward developing chronic injury issues right after getting drafted. Completely screwed up his development and career.

Jose Theodore's courageous fight with chronic hair-loss...

I knew there was a bunch of others, just couldn't remember them. THere were a couple of years in a row that the habs were breadking records for the number of man games lost to injuries.

I already went through the Theodore injury - it is pretty devastating :lol:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I was at the LA/Habs after Savage's injury (my one and only game at the Molson Centre :unsure: ) and there was almost a brawl during the warmups........several times guys "almost" started throwing them. What caught my eye was (unlike Junior hockey) there were no linesmen out during the warmups....guess that's why things almost boiled over.

Oh ya and we lost...........like 4-2 or something like that.

Lang - sliced tenden

Komi- shoulder

Gionta - foot

Cammy - knee/ankle??

All teams have injuries, but you're right. The most aggravating of those to me, aftr Koivu's, was actually Donald Audette's. He was a top-line player, a brilliant acquisition by Andre Savard for a team desperate for scoring. Five games in, he suffers a career-ending injury. I mean, come ON.

Except for 2008, the Habs have had very little, simple good luck over these dismal 15 years. Pedants can always yell about 'making your own luck' and for sure Rejean Houle could have had a horseshoe up his butt and STILL managed to 'build' a last-place team. But say what you want about Bob Gainey: his tenure as GM has been marked by a disproportionate amount of things going unpredictably wrong. It sucks.

Just the SNET report suggesting it's not season ending. CTV Montreal (via Twitter) is reporting the Habs will hold a presser to announce the severity.

The Gazette (via dave Stubbs twitter) is reporting that the MRI was done yesterday, and we probably wont hear anything until tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Dags has the flu...Who are we going to call up now.

The Gazette (via dave Stubbs twitter) is reporting that the MRI was done yesterday, and we probably wont hear anything until tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Dags has the flu...Who are we going to call up now.

They may hold off until tomorrow to see if he's okay to go then, or do a late night callup to save on the cap. Wonder if Spacek's ready to come back, Weber could go down which would open up a spot for a forward callup.

Son of a bitch!!! Just what we needed!

With Camms out, I say we sell off Halak and Hamrlik to the highest bidders. Get some good prospects or draft choices.

I wouldn't want to see Plex traded away. I think he has some potential, and we'll need him next year.

If we can trade Halak and Hamrlik away, we could save 6 million$. In Fact, I,d try and get rid of Spacek as well. The guy is underachieving and seeing as he's 35+, even if he retires, we're stuck paying him his 3.8 million$ per year!

BG would be dumb not to trade Pleks.The habs simply can't afford him and BG would be taking a big risk losing another assest for nothing. Pleks will be offered way more then 4 mill, he'll definitely take the money and run.

Why would JM call up Trotter. JM apparantly doesn't like offense or scorers. He'll just dress 8 D and lose 3-0. He'll be "satisfied with the effort and say the 3 goals were breakdowns but other then that things are fine".

BG would be dumb not to trade Pleks.The habs simply can't afford him

That would no longer be true if they can trade hamrlik and Halak away! 5.5 million$ for Hamrlik and 800,000 for halak.

Offer Plex 18 million for 4 years!

That would no longer be true if they can trade hamrlik and Halak away! 5.5 million$ for Hamrlik and 800,000 for halak.

Offer Plex 18 million for 4 years!

Except you'd assuredly have to take a player back in moving Hamrlik, contending teams don't have that type of cap space available.

You would also take money back on other deals also.

I would take 2 first rounders, especially if the habs apply themselves they can land a top 3 pick.

Pleks will certainly land you a #1 plus.

Except you'd assuredly have to take a player back in moving Hamrlik, contending teams don't have that type of cap space available.

Agreed, but you wouldn't have to take on much more than 2 million$ Washington could use a good defensive d-man and they have the room. So does Phoenix and Colorado! Let's not forget that We'll save some money (500K) with Laraque, and probably some more money with Mara(1.7 million$).

You would also take money back on other deals also.

I would take 2 first rounders, especially if the habs apply themselves they can land a top 3 pick.

Pleks will certainly land you a #1 plus.

I know I disagree with that; at best, we'd get a late 1st plus cap ballast I think. A lot of people see Plekanec as a one-hit wonder, hard to give up that much. You never know, a team could get desperate (Phoenix comes to mind) where you might not get a 1st, but a young (controllable) player picked in the 1st. Too early to speculate on him at least, I suspect he wouldn't be moved until the deadline.

Agreed, but you wouldn't have to take on much more than 2 million$ Washington could use a good defensive d-man and they have the room. So does Phoenix and Colorado! Let's not forget that We'll save some money (500K) with Laraque, and probably some more money with Mara(1.7 million$).

If I had the time, I'd pull out the numbers in greater detail, but here's the quick hypothetical:

Assuming the cap stays as is, the Habs have roughly 11.5 mil to spend on 9 players (this factors in all UFA's leaving). We can make that 12 mil on 10 players factoring in Laraque's buyout. Assuming Hamrlik is dealt for a $2 mil player (I think they'd take more $$ back personally that's just me), that makes it 15.5 for 10 players. I still don't see a fit to pay Plekanec 4.5 as was suggested earlier (11 for 9 players with neither goalie signed is a little worrisome).

Back on topic, HIO Twitter says no confirmation of the TSN report yet.