Injury thread

Habsfan

I know, a late first rounder is about what i expect back. Pleks has a minimal cap hit and is a rental. A 1st rounder unless other players are thrown in is about right.

He is in the top 20 in scoring.

Nashville, phienix, Detroit, Alot of teams 6-12 would take him in the East.

Look how #3 and #30 helped the Avs out right away.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would JM call up Trotter. JM apparantly doesn't like offense or scorers. He'll just dress 8 D and lose 3-0. He'll be "satisfied with the effort and say the 3 goals were breakdowns but other then that things are fine".

HILARIOUS!!! - if it weren't so true

After watching the replay, 6 to 8 weeks seems like great news. He is pretty durable to come out with what is a relatively minor injury. That could have been 6 months!

Its time for Gomez and Gionta to pick up the slack and start scoring more. Maybe there will be games to come back for...

Given the 2-week Olympic break, that's pretty much our best case scenario. Hopefully Mike's a quick healer!

Phew, I thought it was going to be much worse. In any case, I think our playoff run is in serious trouble. I thought that when Kostitsyn gotback and we were fully healthy, we could have made a good run at it and possibly made some noise in the playoffs. But now... Let's just say if we won't made the playoffs, we'll know why.

Edited by ForumGhost

Phew, I thought it was going to be much worse. In any case, I think our playoff run is in serious trouble. I thought that when Kostitsyn gotback and we were fully healthy, we could have made a good run at it and possibly made some noise in the playoffs. But now... Let's just say if we won't made the playoffs, we'll know why.

I gave up on the playoffs the second I heard about Cammy's injury. My obsession now is that Bob NOT make any stupid, short-term deals for immediate help. Let this team sink or swim based on its current roster, trade saleable assets that are NOT part of your nucleus going forward, and continue on with a quiet semi-rebuild. Time for that famous Gainey ice water to start flooding his veins.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think Gainey does anything without calculation and consideration, and he doesn't act on impulse. I'm sure he hasn't given up on the playoffs, as he shouldn't, and if he can make the team better at an acceptable costs, that's fine by me. He won't give up anything we need, though.

I don't think Gainey does anything without calculation and consideration, and he doesn't act on impulse. I'm sure he hasn't given up on the playoffs, as he shouldn't, and if he can make the team better at an acceptable costs, that's fine by me. He won't give up anything we need, though.

What we need are picks and young players. As I just finished asserting in the 'Rumours' thread, this team should be looking to emerge as a contender by developing from within, in about a three-year window. If he can somehow get Ray Whitney for Curtis Sanford, then hell, go for it.

So he will miss 4 weeks of NHL action because of the olympics

Not that it's gonna change anything

Unless Bobby makes a move, we're toasted

Toasted for what, exactly? At best this team squeeks into the 7th-8th spot and gets annahillated by PIT/WAS/NJ, sound familiar to last season by chance?

Bob needs to convince someone to take Hammer off the books, and get something decent back in return for Halak. Use the rest of this season to ride Price and towards the end of the season give a half-dozen games to some kids in Hamilton for a taste of what it's like in the show so they come to camp roaring to go for next season.

Playoffs this year accomplishes nothing other than a few extra million in the owner's pockets and an entire fanbase frothing at the mouth after a second straight embarassment in round 1.

Think medium/long term here people.

Toasted for what, exactly? At best this team squeeks into the 7th-8th spot and gets annahillated by PIT/WAS/NJ, sound familiar to last season by chance?

Bob needs to convince someone to take Hammer off the books, and get something decent back in return for Halak. Use the rest of this season to ride Price and towards the end of the season give a half-dozen games to some kids in Hamilton for a taste of what it's like in the show so they come to camp roaring to go for next season.

Playoffs this year accomplishes nothing other than a few extra million in the owner's pockets and an entire fanbase frothing at the mouth after a second straight embarassment in round 1.

Think medium/long term here people.

The problem is that Bob may think he needs to (and heck, maybe he does have to) make the playoffs in order to save his job, so I'm not convinced medium/long term is on the agenda. Just like Sutter in Calgary, really.

The problem is that Bob may think he needs to (and heck, maybe he does have to) make the playoffs in order to save his job, so I'm not convinced medium/long term is on the agenda. Just like Sutter in Calgary, really.

If Bob gambles the future of the team for his own short-term personal gains he should be burned at the stake. This team is not "one move" from being a contender, and if he thinks they are then maybe he does need a new job.

Hammer has to go, and Halak should be moved at his highest value which is right now. Those two savings alone can be used to sign Plex, or at least offer him something fair value, whether Plex chooses to take it or not is out of BGs control.

It's not as easy as saying "Trade this player", some contracts cannot be offloaded. I would rather offload Spacey than Hamrlik.

I clearly understand that you cannot just trade guys on a whim a la NHL 2010. However, for teams looking for a rental D-man with experience and have the room for him Hammer could be a fit, similar to Spacek I guess since both aren't part of the core of the Habs going forward. But Halak needs to be moved at his high watermark which is right now, before or at the deadline.

Shortsighted trades will only hurt this team, and if BG is half as adept as most of the people in Habland believe he is he is well aware of the pitfalls of gambling future success for marginal short-term success.

The Eastern conference is terrible this year, save for 3-4 teams who are head and shoulders above everyone else. What purpose does it serve making a futile push for round 1 when the only thing that would accomplish is Act 2 of "the most intelligent hockey fans" booing their 22yr old saviour goalie on home ice after getting swept again? Maybe we can break him for good this time??

This team needs to miss the playoffs, because they need to understand they aren't on the cusp quite yet. They are getting there, and with some smart decisions and 1-2 more years they could be something special, but to rush it is asinine.

I clearly understand that you cannot just trade guys on a whim a la NHL 2010. However, for teams looking for a rental D-man with experience and have the room for him Hammer could be a fit, similar to Spacek I guess since both aren't part of the core of the Habs going forward. But Halak needs to be moved at his high watermark which is right now, before or at the deadline.

Shortsighted trades will only hurt this team, and if BG is half as adept as most of the people in Habland believe he is he is well aware of the pitfalls of gambling future success for marginal short-term success.

The Eastern conference is terrible this year, save for 3-4 teams who are head and shoulders above everyone else. What purpose does it serve making a futile push for round 1 when the only thing that would accomplish is Act 2 of "the most intelligent hockey fans" booing their 22yr old saviour goalie on home ice after getting swept again? Maybe we can break him for good this time??

This team needs to miss the playoffs, because they need to understand they aren't on the cusp quite yet. They are getting there, and with some smart decisions and 1-2 more years they could be something special, but to rush it is asinine.

Hear hear, MK1. You're spot on.

I don't agree that Bob should be 'burned at the stake' if he makes short-term moves to make the playoffs in order to save his job, though. The correct target for opprobium there is the OWNERS. It is not up to Bob Gainey to make a martyr of himself. If we have ownership that fires GMs who fail to deal away youth/picks in a futile push to make 8th place and inevitable early expulsion from the playoffs, then this team will never contend no matter who the GM is. Owenrship should defer to Bob Gainey, not the other way around. That's how winners are built.

Spacek apparently really injured. Career ending? Take-his-salary-off-the-cap bad?

:P

You may be kidding, but the last thing we need or want to hope for is spacek having a career ending injury. He was signed when he was over 35, so even if he never plays again, we are stuck with his salary and there is no buyout option. This is why in the summer i said it was STUPID to give a long-term deal to Spacek given his age and the CBA rules.

You may be kidding, but the last thing we need or want to hope for is spacek having a career ending injury. He was signed when he was over 35, so even if he never plays again, we are stuck with his salary and there is no buyout option. This is why in the summer i said it was STUPID to give a long-term deal to Spacek given his age and the CBA rules.

Signing a guy who is 35 through age 38 isn't a horrid risk. It's a risk, but not a huge one. I guess I don't know what offers he was getting from other teams, but it's unfortunate the 3rd year didn't have a bit of a drop off in salary to make the cap hit a little better.

That being said, I still don't know why everyone is hating on Sissy. He's provided quality minutes for about the average ticket price for a 2nd pair defender (look league wide and you'll find a lot of #3s making $3.5-$4m). Hamrlik is still the one with the bad contract, as his play has been of similar quality overall, yet people seem to like him generally while disliking Spacek. When Markov was out, Spacek was one of the guys who took on added responsibilities and kept the team in the hunt. He helps create offence without sacrificing defence, which on this team has proven to be difficult.

By default, I've had to become Jaro's biggest fan on here. The hate on for him is completely illogical.

If he gets a career ending injury he can be put on LTIR and his cap hit won't count. And I'm sure he doesn't get injured. I was being silly. Having fun. Looking for a positive in an otherwise difficult season. I could, I suppose, look for the negative in everything, but I choose not to do so. Because no matter what happens, there's always a ray of hope. And you can either wither away bemoaning everything in life, or you can embrace what you have.

You, sir, make Koz look like a saint of positivity.

Desharnais gets the callup...

Seriously, what more does Brock Trotter have to do to get a callup???

They're working on his defensive side of the game in Hamilton, I suppose they don't want to interrupt that while he works on it.

Apparently there's 2 more coming up (the screw the cap mentality is back in full force evidently), perhaps he's one of those 2?