Injury thread

Habsfan

Fortunately the Habs finally have a replacement on the horizon.

The trouble is that we need BOTH those guys in good form in order to become bona-fide contenders. Add a flourishing Subban to the current full lineup and maybe one more top-6 forward and honestly think you've got a team that can seriously challenge. Subtract Markov and add Subban, you've probably weakened the roster overall.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is that we need BOTH those guys in good form in order to become bona-fide contenders. Add a flourishing Subban to the current full lineup and maybe one more top-6 forward and honestly think you've got a team that can seriously challenge. Subtract Markov and add Subban, you've probably weakened the roster overall.

My point was that Markov supplied a facet that NOBODY on the team could replace. Hence when he was absent

the team struggled on the PP and creating transition offense.

So even if he is injury prone for the rest of his career, when he is absent they will not flounder.

Subban can create a nice bridge. Markov will be back and after watching Subban's level in these playoffs I have

genuine hope that this team can jump to the next level.

My point was that Markov supplied a facet that NOBODY on the team could replace. Hence when he was absent

the team struggled on the PP and creating transition offense.

So even if he is injury prone for the rest of his career, when he is absent they will not flounder.

Subban can create a nice bridge. Markov will be back and after watching Subban's level in these playoffs I have

genuine hope that this team can jump to the next level.

Fair enough. That makes me feel a bit better.

I've said all season that IF Subban can emerge as a force, and IF we can add another top-6er (e.g., Max Pac) this team can contend within two years. These playoffs only convince me further.

Markov: injured big time in the second half last season; injured for half of this season; injured for the playoffs and possibly the start of next season.

I think we can officially start to label him 'injury prone.'

'Injury prone' only makes sense if it's a repeat of the same injury. He has had 3 very different injuries. It's not that he has a bum knee or wonky head or a crap shoulder... he had a left knee injury last year, a severed tendon in his ankle in October, and a right ACL tear today. Those are 3 completely random injuries that have nothing to do with each other.

Here's another way of looking at it: He's 31 turning 32. He should have a few good years left in him, but we are definitely approaching the diminishing returns era of Markov.

Markov flew with the team to Pittsburgh !!!!!!!!??

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/298597.html

News blurb says that Sergei stayed in Montreal while Markov accompanied the team to Pittsburgh, but no word if Markov will play next game...

wow. wasn't he out until December or so? After Staal miraculously back, now maybe Markov?

Markov flew with the team to Pittsburgh !!!!!!!!??

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/298597.html

News blurb says that Sergei stayed in Montreal while Markov accompanied the team to Pittsburgh, but no word if Markov will play next game...

wow. wasn't he out until December or so? After Staal miraculously back, now maybe Markov?

You can play with a torn ACL (I've tried myself) but to say your effectiveness drops notably would be an understatement. I know he's holding off on surgery to try and play through it though (this extends how much time he'll miss next season unfortunately). If he were to come back, it'd have to be in a 3rd pairing, 12-14 minute role.

Spacek! I must know more about Spacek! I need MAB to not play defense anymore!

You can play with a torn ACL (I've tried myself) but to say your effectiveness drops notably would be an understatement. I know he's holding off on surgery to try and play through it though (this extends how much time he'll miss next season unfortunately). If he were to come back, it'd have to be in a 3rd pairing, 12-14 minute role.

If Marky can actually play, I will be impressed. The swelling must have gone down enough for a good look at it. Cooke or Adams will Knee on knee him I guess.

Or maybe only for the PP?

This is a major career-threatening risk. Kudos to Markov if he is willing to put his career on the line in order to help the Habs advance. I don't think anyone will hold anything against him if he doesn't. It is also a risk for Habs management.. they risk to pay big bucks to an injured player they won't be able to trade. If they take the risk, it will be because they seriously believe they can win it all this year.

Or maybe only for the PP?

This is a major career-threatening risk. Kudos to Markov if he is willing to put his career on the line in order to help the Habs advance. I don't think anyone will hold anything against him if he doesn't. It is also a risk for Habs management.. they risk to pay big bucks to an injured player they won't be able to trade. If they take the risk, it will be because they seriously believe they can win it all this year.

Reading on HIO, he's nowhere near ready to play yet so it's best we not get too far ahead of ourselves. I think he's out for the series still; if we were to move on, then perhaps he gives it a shot in practice. To be frank, I don't think I'd want Markov on the PP playing through this as starting, stopping, and pivoting are a major concern with a torn ACL, the PP in particular has a lot of that.

As for Spacek, skated again today (3rd or 4th day now), made the trip to Pittsburgh, questionable for tomorrow.

Reading on HIO, he's nowhere near ready to play yet so it's best we not get too far ahead of ourselves. I think he's out for the series still; if we were to move on, then perhaps he gives it a shot in practice. To be frank, I don't think I'd want Markov on the PP playing through this as starting, stopping, and pivoting are a major concern with a torn ACL, the PP in particular has a lot of that.

As for Spacek, skated again today (3rd or 4th day now), made the trip to Pittsburgh, questionable for tomorrow.

Maybe Markov is traveling with the team to provide moral support and to at least continue to feel he is part of this team. Good move by team management to include Markov on the trip.

Milan Michalek tried to play for Ottawa just like Markov might be trying. It's not career threatening... if it was, no way would the Habs risk it.

Maybe it's not a severe tear right now. I don't know how much damage it can do to play on it, but I assume the collateral damage that you could cause would heal up within the time it takes for the tear to be repaired anyways.

Quarantine Spacek from his kids and wife.... or the other way around doesnt matter, He better not get sick again and worse infect the team with his kid's snotty nose flem creeping into inner ear Bugs!

Edited by CoRvInA

Regardless.... I hope the Habs training staff looks closely into the kevlar boot/leg protectors... At least for our Defence, We should at least eliminate the chance of future (fof) blade induced long term leg injuries! Ridiculous!!!

Even though we may be getting Spacek back (he obviously won't be 100%), Gill is doubtful. :(

Gill skated this morning. According to Brian Wylde of CTV, Gill should be playing tonight. Spacek will still be a game time decision!

What's being reported is:

Spacek 100% In.

Markov 100% Out. (skated today though)

Mara 100% Out. (close to returning?)

Gill - game time decision (I guess he'll play).

What's being reported is:

Spacek 100% In.

Markov 100% Out. (skated today though)

Mara 100% Out. (close to returning?)

Gill - game time decision (I guess he'll play).

Gill said it was just a cut the day after the game. He sounded like he would play to me.

Just heard this on the Team 990. According to Brent Wallace of TSN, Both Hal Gill and Andrei Markov are on the ice practicing with the rest of the team! :clap: :ghg: :clap:

Just heard this on the Team 990. According to Brent Wallace of TSN, Both Hal Gill and Andrei Markov are on the ice practicing with the rest of the team! :clap: :ghg: :clap:

Speed is such a big part of Gill's game... how do you think this injury

will affect him if he plays tonight?

Maybe they will dress 9 defenseman.

Use Gill on the PK, use Markov MAB on the PP/ Let the other 6 play regular shits.

JM will play 9-10 forwards anyway

Speed is such a big part of Gill's game... how do you think this injury

will affect him if he plays tonight?

bahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry but did you actually say Gill's game is built around his speed?!?!?!?!?!?