Injury thread

Habsfan

isn't the basic issue that he has a lot of swelling on his knee, so they can't get a definitive MRI?

I think some hairline fractures can be obscured on imaging when there is swelling. Primarily, though, doesn't swelling preclude detection of tendon/meniscus tears? I guess what I'm saying is that as far as they are reporting, he could have a badly bruised or sprained knee (hopefully), or he could have a hairline fracture (suck), or he could need his ACL surgically repaired (massive suck).

PS - as you might be able to tell, I only play a doctor on TV.

That's my guess as well - until the swelling does down, you don't know for sure. I'm surprised we haven't seen a leak anywhere of what the injury "might be" or what "the team believes the injury to be;" they've done a good job of staying tight lipped compared to usual.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my guess as well - until the swelling does down, you don't know for sure. I'm surprised we haven't seen a leak anywhere of what the injury "might be" or what "the team believes the injury to be;" they've done a good job of staying tight lipped compared to usual.

The tight-lippedness makes me nervous. As far as I can tell, they aren't even calling him DTD for the moment. Maybe they don't want to get the players' hopes up in advance of a probable letdown?

MY guess is that Markov is out of the Playoffs for good...no matter how far we go!

MY guess is that Markov is out of the Playoffs for good...no matter how far we go!

Agreed. I think our only hope is that it's one of those injuries where playing on it won't hurt it, and surgery can be put off for the offseason. Even then, he won't be 100%.

As per Team990, Markov is done for the rest of the playoffs with a good ol' anterior cruciate ligament injury, right knee.

Just confirmed on RDS.ca and the Team 990!

from rds.ca

Ses séries terminées!

Mardi 04 mai 2010

RDS.ca

Selon ce que rapporte Team 990, Andrei Markov souffrirait d'une déchirure du ligament croisé antérieur au genou droit.

Markov sera donc absent pour le reste des séries éliminatoires.

I only hope that Stall doesn't make a "miraculous" recovery. He should be out for this series as well!

Edited by Habsfan

Not surprising, but devastating nonetheless. :(

Not his year... Started with a serious injury, ended with a serious injury. He did helped us a lot in the middle of the season. When you think the Habs made the playoffs by 1 point, Markov -despite his long absence- was surely a factor in the Habs getting to postseason.

As per Team990, Markov is done for the rest of the playoffs with a good ol' anterior cruciate ligament injury, right knee.

Not only the playoffs, but an ACL injury can be up to 6 months from the date of surgery. 6 months from now is a month into next season.

Not only the playoffs, but an ACL injury can be up to 6 months from the date of surgery. 6 months from now is a month into next season.

:puke:

:puke:

Not the expression I had on my face when I heard the news - brings back some painful memories (heck, my ACL surgery was 5 years ago and my knee still flares up in pain at times). ACL surgeries typically don't see the player coming back at 100% afterward, though players are recovering from them better and quicker now than in years past.

Ouch. Would have it been better for the Habs management to tell the players that Markov was expected back for Round 3 ? :D

Ouch. Would have it been better for the Habs management to tell the players that Markov was expected back for Round 3 ? :D

Nah, saying it like this might help generate the "against all odds, us vs the world" mentality that every team seems to strive towards come playoff time.

TSN has reported it, having gone through ACL reconstruction not a fun thing. I had the Oiler Doctor do mine, ( he has done the surgery for numerous Football players and NHL players, )

Quickest recovery is the surgery I had, Allograph, a donor ligament from achilles area, actually is stronger, and quickest recovery...

Having said that, they will need to wait until swelling goes down, and surgery not until a couple weeks, depending on swelling...

Of course, with torn acl, one can play with a brace ( what i did) but risk cartilage and miniscus damage, ( which also I did with time), best doing it now than later...

I dont expect Markov to be ready befor Christmas, expect A JANUARY 2011 return or even after the ALL star break....6 to 8 month from time of surgery...

( well thats from personal experience and recent surgery with latest surgery techniques and recovery) My knee is as strong as ever ( just dont have cartilage,) , cant even tell any scars... ( not like past radical ACL surgeries, all cut up, and quite often from your Hamstring or Petula to replace ACL with )...

Hoping all the best for MArkov, he will be up and at it in no time!!, and shouldnt affect his on ice performance

I dont expect Markov to be ready befor Christmas, expect A JANUARY 2011 return or even after the ALL star break....6 to 8 month from time of surgery...

( well thats from personal experience and recent surgery with latest surgery techniques and recovery) My knee is as strong as ever ( just dont have cartilage,) , cant even tell any scars... ( not like past radical ACL surgeries, all cut up, and quite often from your Hamstring or Petula to replace ACL with )...

If only I had the same one you did, I still have scars and not much of a hamstring after it got yanked. Interesting to learn about the advancements in ACL surgery...boy is this getting a little off track. :)

If only I had the same one you did, I still have scars and not much of a hamstring after it got yanked. Interesting to learn about the advancements in ACL surgery...boy is this getting a little off track. :)

Just passin on information on how ACL surgery has come a long way, and atheletes come back with very little impact on their perormance , if any at all!! There is a " psychological " re adjusting for fear of being hit, which practice takes care of, After that firs fall or big hit, one is fine..

From a Habs fan and Markov perspective, dont worry about impact on his game....but at sametime I would be very surprised if he is back before Christmas, perhaps even allstar game...so as to not be rushed...

Markov was average at best during the playoffs.

If Hammer can build on his good performance in game 2, if Subban keep it up, if Spacek comes back during the series, and considering Gill and Gorges have been great, there is no reason to worry

Markov was average at best during the playoffs.

If Hammer can build on his good performance in game 2, if Subban keep it up, if Spacek comes back during the series, and considering Gill and Gorges have been great, there is no reason to worry

No Spacek, No chance.

You cannot win the Cup playing Bergeron on a regular defensive shift.

Markov: injured big time in the second half last season; injured for half of this season; injured for the playoffs and possibly the start of next season.

I think we can officially start to label him 'injury prone.'

Markov: injured big time in the second half last season; injured for half of this season; injured for the playoffs and possibly the start of next season.

Unfortunately right Sir.

What was Mara's season-ending injury? Is there no chance he eventually makes a return?

Fortunately the Habs finally have a replacement on the horizon.