2010 Draft Appreciation Thread

zumpano21

I find this "let's throw the season" philosophy pathetic. The same fans who bemoan our players' supposed "lack of pride" want to finish last overall. Physicians, heal thyselves!!

Detroit and NJ didnt have to finish last to pick good players and be competitive for over a decade.

You'd do better wishing for our scouts to be smarter than for us to get a better pick. Not going to do a lot of good landing the 5th overall pick if we're going to waste it on a goalie. Oops, already done that... :P

On tanking: Price 5th overall / Pouliot 4th overall / Komisarek 7th overall / Kostitsyn 10th overall-- we have (had) more than our share of top-10 picks over the last years, maybe high picks are not the panacea we imagine they are.

. . . oh, "Wickenheiser."

Detroit and NJ didnt have to finish last to pick good players and be competitive for over a decade.

You'd do better wishing for our scouts to be smarter than for us to get a better pick. Not going to do a lot of good landing the 5th overall pick if we're going to waste it on a goalie. Oops, already done that... :P

You're right, we should have just kept Theo. Imagine how many cups we would have had by now! Everyone knows goalies aren't imprtant anyways.

A good read before Central Scouting is on HFBOARDS 2010 NHL top 100 draft. link ? http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=596011

There are other reads around and Kabanov and Hall are pretty much considered the top players there.

It will be a tough race for top ten prospects, swedes and fins have a strong class this year.

Are there actually any player that is in the same capability as Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Toews, Kane or Staal's in the draft this summer? If not I say GO FOR THE PLAYOFFS! Im not going to be happy if the one year we end up bottom 5 in the league there arent any reward for it.

It's still too early. I admit that the situation is bleak for our Habs, but they could still pull it off.

Of course, if they are to finish in 10th place in the east, i'd rather see them finish 14th, to get a better pick, but things are soo tight in the east right now, we can't say for certain that the habs won,t make the playoffs. Let's wait another 20 games. Maybe the arrival of Markov and Gionta will stabilize this sinking ship!?!?!

I find this "let's throw the season" philosophy pathetic. The same fans who bemoan our players' supposed "lack of pride" want to finish last overall. Physicians, heal thyselves!!

:clap::clap::clap:

may I add that them same kids wash they mouths with soap 24 time and 1 more time just for good measure!!!!!

GO! :hlogo: GO!

GET GET GET POSER FANS!!!!

*edit:

btw did we have at one point a ro'a'ster full of 1st round picks in the 90's that didn't do nothing other then look like they had a chance on paper to contend??

the year is behond my grasp but I think that if NJ, Detroit and at one point Dallas are able to draft well then there is no reason the Habs can't either.

Drafting high is fine but some time the best player in a given position drafted has to suit the need of the team in the imidiate. I understand that because we drafted McDo we were able to finalize the trade for Gomer... but would Gomer been such a need if we would have drafter (insert name here)??

All these questions will be answered one way or another with the help who ever reads this and that is cool cuz the one thing that holds true about the Habs other then they RULE(!),

they ain't boring and the fans (most off them) know what hockey is all about :)

I love my Habs and on draft day I look like a kid on X-mas morn (as a kid I did not celebrate) or so I'm told I do. When we draft a kid like what Gui did in his first camp it's like I'm still playing with the toy I got in Dec. in the month of Oct. :P

Edited by ehjay

Maybe we should have a thread for all the wannabe scouts here that can "predict" just how good all the players are that the habs don't take in their position?

You know, all the guys that say we should have taken player X instead of player Y, after 5 years of hindsight. ^_^

Edited by Habitforming

very high picks are mostly sure shots (with the rare pouliot exceptions). Even Zherdev is not such a bust (although he's now in KHL)

low picks are crap shots. Ryder, Streit, Markov, Halak, Plekanec, Zetterberg, Dastyuk, Lidstrom.

However, Timmins' track record for high talent is better with low picks than high picks...

so maybe we should trade our first rounders for a couple of 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks?

lol