Habs at Isles Sat Dec 19

JLP

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Habs fans are loud tonight, on Long Island to boot. I sure hope they secured some rooms, because I've been stuck in snow there, they aren't equipped to handle it. Islanders, another fanchise that nobody cares about.

Edited by Habsy

Markov played 20:25, probably a little more than I'd have preferred but still better than the 24 minutes I was afraid he'd get. Glad to see the PP have a solid game as they surpass the 20% success mark, much better than this time back in November.

For the record, Gill led the team with 22:47 in TOI...that I don't like, he's much better suited to play around 16-18.

Halak with 40 saves for the shutout, let the inevitable trade rumblings start again (it's been a whole 2 days without a rumour, we're due for one). :)

3 Stars:

1) Halak

2) Markov

3) Bergeron

For the record, Gill led the team with 22:47 in TOI...that I don't like, he's much better suited to play around 16-18.

With a recovering Markov, a banged up Spacek and Mara, and no Hamrlik, it isn't all that surprising. Obviously not ideal though you're right.

Crap overall performance against an even crappier team, but heck, we've had excellent performances and lost as well, so it balances out. Under the circumstances - banged-up D-corps and bizarre travel issues - it's not much to complain about, that's for sure.

I just want to say that I thought Gomez played a really fine game. Practically ever shift, he did something notably good - whether defensively or offensively. I really feel that this guy is wrongly maligned because of his salary and his modest point totals. But unless he is paired with major offensive players, his numbers will not be great, and all the good things he does will generally go under-valued. That's just the kind of player he is. So I hope he has the thick skin to survive all the public criticism, although I'm pretty sure the men on the ice recognize what he brings.

Having said that, that pass to Metropolit was absolutely first-rate, Gretzky-like - even the detractors have to admit that.

nice to see Halak get the donut (bagel), he deserves it and also the performance should help raise his trade value.

Bravo Habs!

Even if we wanted to trade Halak (and whether we should is an ongoing discussion), who the heck could we get for him that could help the team AND fit into our salary cap -- Halak's cap hit is only $775K! (Price is at $2.2M.)

Even if we wanted to trade Halak (and whether we should is an ongoing discussion), who the heck could we get for him that could help the team AND fit into our salary cap -- Halak's cap hit is only $775K! (Price is at $2.2M.)

Answer would be: a good kid in his first pro contract.

Well, finally finished the game on the PVR... Halak was sensational with some huge saves. Markov had the storybook comeback game. Gomez played great.

The ref sucked missing that obvious hit on Halak, but Pleks and company are killing the team with stupid and easily preventable penalties. Luckily Halak and the PK unit were great all night.

Oh.. and nice home game on Long Island... who said Halak can't win at home. :)

Crap overall performance against an even crappier team, but heck, we've had excellent performances and lost as well, so it balances out. Under the circumstances - banged-up D-corps and bizarre travel issues - it's not much to complain about, that's for sure.

I just want to say that I thought Gomez played a really fine game. Practically ever shift, he did something notably good - whether defensively or offensively. I really feel that this guy is wrongly maligned because of his salary and his modest point totals. But unless he is paired with major offensive players, his numbers will not be great, and all the good things he does will generally go under-valued. That's just the kind of player he is. So I hope he has the thick skin to survive all the public criticism, although I'm pretty sure the men on the ice recognize what he brings.

Having said that, that pass to Metropolit was absolutely first-rate, Gretzky-like - even the detractors have to admit that.

Regarding Gomez, i totally agree. I'm a oilers fan too, being in alberta. horcoff makes 6 mill. like holy bad contract!

Looking at the NHL stats a little too quickly, i thought we were back to #1 on the PP...but alas still in #8 position. But with Markov being the catalyst he is...i can see us crawling up the charts like our PK stats have been in the month of December.

Edited by mineral

If you look at the NHL.com stats page, you will see that the Habs and Rangers are the only two teams in the top 10 in PK and PP. That's nice to see. also in the league leaders stats, Pleky is 4th in assists league wide. Mid season, that is impressive.