GAME THREAD: Habs @ Hurricanes

simonus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 - 21 shots on goal in favor of Carolina. Halak better get another start against he leafs on Saterday!

thank god the game was decided long time ago, less then 5 minutes left and the habs have NOT got a shot on goal in the ENTIRE 3rd period!!!

Halak has just been awesome. I actually hope they put Price in for Toronto as he shouldn't sit too long either.

Pleks has certainly had the hot hand.. if he gives a guy a puck, they score. Maybe they should play him with Gomez.. lol.. Gomez wouldn't shoot, what am I thinking....

Halak has just been awesome. I actually hope they put Price in for Toronto as he shouldn't sit too long either.

Pleks has certainly had the hot hand.. if he gives a guy a puck, they score. Maybe they should play him with Gomez.. lol.. Gomez wouldn't shoot, what am I thinking....

I want them to keep showcasing Halak as much as they can. He's showing other GMs that he can be a starter in this league. Soon enough we'll have Giroux and Price can play all the games he wants. :D

hmmm I figured 3 assists would have been enough for us to avoid the Gomez contract talk for at least one night.

Yeah, it's just such an odd situation and I really like Pleks.

Pouliot looks up to speed with lots of potential. A little time to build chemistry will be good, imo.

Good game. Too many shots on goal, but we were in control all along.

I really like what I saw of Pouliot. He did not play much, but you can see right away that he is skillful. Excellent speed, very quick hands, good hockey sense. I can't wait to see him on the power play. Mark my word: he'll be a player with us.

I want them to keep showcasing Halak as much as they can. He's showing other GMs that he can be a starter in this league. Soon enough we'll have Giroux and Price can play all the games he wants. :D

Does anyone else see the sad logic in this?

Why in hell's name are we so willing to get rid of a potentially great goalie?

Couldn't take missing 3 games in a row, so off to a Florida sports bar I went. After a little negotiation ("If you don't put the Carolina-Montreal game on, I'll go to a different bar"), I got to see most of the game.

Team looks loose. Nice flow and nice passing 1st 2 periods. After 2, we were being outshot something like 32-22, but the *Carolina* broadcast I was watching had the scoring chances even at 13 each. Halak *was* very good again but the shots were misleading. We were not badly outplayed except for that 3rd period when we were protecting a lead and Carolina was taking lots of chances. Still, I wish we could cut down on the shots against.

Really good start to the road trip but, unfortunately, I'll be on the road to Dallas (granddaughter) on the 26th so I'll miss the Toronto game. Why would they schedule the Maple Laffs during Xmas time? They should be down here in Florida to attract the snowbirds. Not only am I missing a Habs/Laffs tilt, but I always have friends over (both Toronto and Montreal fans) and we have a blast. Now I'm missing that and we don't play them again until March I think. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

One final thing that I really dislike about the Martin system. Line change time comes and we voluntarily give up possession of the puck. No wonder we have so many turnovers against us. Wouldn't it make more sense to have 2 guys change and the guy with the puck try to hang on until the new help arrives? At the very least, we turnover the puck after more of an interval. The way it is now, the new line starts the shift dealing with an opposition rush. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, Merry Xmas folks...

So, I was thinking, BOB'S A GENIUS! I mean if he wouldn't have got rid of that cancer Ribiero, Pleky would never have had to take his spot. Thank god he picked the right centre. Not that cancer Ribiero! heehee.

discuss

Does anyone else see the sad logic in this?

Why in hell's name are we so willing to get rid of a potentially great goalie?

1) Because he asked for a trade and

2) Because we already have a potentially great goalie

We can use him to improve our team at forward, where we need more help than at goal.

hmmm I figured 3 assists would have been enough for us to avoid the Gomez contract talk for at least one night.

what about the stupid bonehead defensive plays and lousy penalties?

1) Because he asked for a trade and

2) Because we already have a potentially great goalie

We can use him to improve our team at forward, where we need more help than at goal.

He asked for a chance to play. Why don't we give him a chance - who knows he may show that he is better then Price. I have no preference either way right now, but I'd rather take a good look at them both this year and decide during the summer. Both are RFA's and IMO we could probably get more for Halak if someone were to offer him a contract as an RFA (unless Gainey packages him with someone else).

Simply going with , Price because he was the highest overall pick we had since Petr Svoboda, was a WJC MVP or a Calder Cup winner doesn't gaurantee he will have the same level of success in the NHL. There are plenty of goalies who have had success before the NHL but never shown the same level of dominance or consistency at the NHL level.

I'm also worried that Gainey in his infinite wisdom would package Halak with Pleks, which IMO would be a disaster. It would be one thing to use Halak to upgrade the rest of the lineup, if you could dump a salary like Gomez, and quite another thing to break up the best #1 line we had in a LONG time - and know the Pleks-Kovy-AK46 line from two years ago was not nearly as dominating as the Pleks-Cammi-AK46 line is now. Two years ago, the three guys didn't click with the same chemistry as they are now.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Last thing i want to see is us facing the flyers in the playoffs (assuming we actually do make the playoffs) and having Halak knock us out.

I don't want them to trade Halak either. Not because I think he's better than price, but because I'd rather have two solid goalies than any other position. What happens if we trade Halak and Price gets injured?? We're dead is what...

Let's keep them both for as long as we can. unless we're getting someone who can score every game (as in Alex Ovechkin) and we're OBVIOUSLY NOT going to get someone like that, we're better off with two good goalies.