GAME THREAD: Habs @ Maple Leafs

simonus

how do you get a PP when you are asleep, not only putting any pressure on the opposition, but continously also are just icing the puck.

This has to be among the weakest efforts of the year and Halak got them at least a point.

As I said, sad effort, but there were numerous missed calls as well. The one on Spacek was right in front of the ref.. he was tripped by a guy reaching with his stick and putting it around his ankle.. bloody obvious.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many OT wins do we have now? I'd like to know who got all our OT goals.

Anyways, le Frère André has looked better and better recently. Nice to see him score when it matters. He's especially good at getting shots through while using D's as screens. Nothing Gustafsson could do on that.

I dont understand the theory behind a 1-2-2 trap system...because we STILL give up tons of shots. We give up shots like we send two forecheckers in...but we don't. Halak made a lot of saves, still way too little rebound control. The 4th line played waaaay too much tonight.

I know there are those who feel that injuries are not an excuse, but really, the difference with Markov in the lineup, IMO, is huge. And he didn't even have a great game, but on Plexy's goal, what other defender hits him with that pass? I don't think we win four in a row without Markov. His play elevates the team - even when he's not at his best.

I dont understand the theory behind a 1-2-2 trap system...because we STILL give up tons of shots. We give up shots like we send two forecheckers in...but we don't. Halak made a lot of saves, still way too little rebound control. The 4th line played waaaay too much tonight.

I think the best thing about Gionta coming back (even more important then getting and added scoring) is that the 4th line should be without Laraque.

He actually drew a penalty tonight and wasn't as bad as usual, but when Dags is the most defensively responsible player on the 4th line, there REALLy is an issue with the 4th line.

BTW, since Dec. 8th, in Halak's last 6th starts he has:

5 W, 1 L, 1.66 GA, 42.8 shots per game (46, 27, 40, 50, 47, 47) and .961 save %

Yep and that's why everyone says we should trade him while his value his increasing. I guess it doesn't matter that we probably would have lost at least 3 of the last 4 games if it wasn't for Halak.

I would like to see Pax given a shot with Gomez and S kost until Gionta comes back, although it looks like Gionta is coming back for monday night. Any thoughts on where chicken boy will play since I assume, s.kost will stay?

A side note...you ever notice when a.kost and s.kost are on the ice at the same time...they always create a scoring chance?

I think the best thing about Gionta coming back (even more important then getting and added scoring) is that the 4th line should be without Laraque.

He actually drew a penalty tonight and wasn't as bad as usual, but when Dags is the most defensively responsible player on the 4th line, there REALLy is an issue with the 4th line.

Yep and that's why everyone says we should trade him while his value his increasing. I guess it doesn't matter that we probably would have lost at least 3 of the last 4 games if it wasn't for Halak.

I dunno..Price wasn't playing terrible, I'm not sold on Halak being the reason for the victories...I'm more leaning towards Markov, rather than Halak, combined with the weak opponents we've faced.

It kinda reminds me of 2001-2002 when Theodore was starting to pull those stellar games outta his ass. There was people for whom Hackett was the undebatable #1 and who only saw Theodore as a bargain chip. Thank God we traded Hack and not Theo, otherwise you can forget about the emotional 2002 playoffs.

I thought Pouliot, for only his second game, was pretty good. Created, hit, and looked to work well with SK and Gomez.

I don't want to rate him harshly, 2nd game and all..but I disagree...he seemed to be ineffective altogether.

I thought Pouliot, for only his second game, was pretty good. Created, hit, and looked to work well with SK and Gomez.

Yeah, but someone should force him or Pacioretty to change jersey numbers. They even tuck their jerseys in the same. It's annoying.

I am very happy that the Habs won, but it was not very deserved. Tx to Halak, the Habs stole 2 points. With the exception of a few minutes in the 1st period the Habs were thoroughly dominated. Leafs were all over them. Either the system is god awful or the players just are floating.

I am sick of seeing a lack of coverage on the points. So many times the pointman is oncovered and keeps the pressure on.

4 wins in a row, but only for Halak.

God awful hockey to watch.

I am very happy that the Habs won, but it was not very deserved. Tx to Halak, the Habs stole 2 points. With the exception of a few minutes in the 1st period the Habs were thoroughly dominated. Leafs were all over them. Either the system is god awful or the players just are floating.

I am sick of seeing a lack of coverage on the points. So many times the pointman is oncovered and keeps the pressure on.

4 wins in a row, but only for Halak.

God awful hockey to watch.

Anybody else find it annoying that we have a team full of speed and skill, yet we play a 1999 style trap game? I thought that sort of system existed for teams that lacked in talent and to keep them in games. We have to be aggressive on the forecheck and that will translate to being aggressive in ALL aspects of the game which will result in more pressure and scoring chances. For the life of me i don't get why Martin wants us to dump the puck and change. Kind of hard to generate goals that way. P.S - Halak is unreal and its a shame that we have two great goalie prospects that can't play every game.

Anybody else find it annoying that we have a team full of speed and skill, yet we play a 1999 style trap game? I thought that sort of system existed for teams that lacked in talent and to keep them in games. We have to be aggressive on the forecheck and that will translate to being aggressive in ALL aspects of the game which will result in more pressure and scoring chances. For the life of me i don't get why Martin wants us to dump the puck and change. Kind of hard to generate goals that way. P.S - Halak is unreal and its a shame that we have two great goalie prospects that can't play every game.

That's exactly the type of team I thought we'd have when we signed Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Cammalleri... I thought: great, aggressive speedy team.

:(

That's exactly the type of team I thought we'd have when we signed Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Cammalleri... I thought: great, aggressive speedy team.

Except that Gainey hired a trap coach who limits the habs use of speed.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, look at the Leafs. As much as they lack skill, at least they are aggressive as a team can be. That is why they get any points at all. Even when I play on xbox and I play aggressive, that's when i get the most chances to score, rather than sit back and "hope" that the opposition makes a mistake that i can capitalize on.

I dunno..Price wasn't playing terrible, I'm not sold on Halak being the reason for the victories...I'm more leaning towards Markov, rather than Halak, combined with the weak opponents we've faced.

I don't think I even have to comment on this post. Those of you out there who are *neutral* (and I know there are lots of you), *this* is exactly what I've been dealing with over the past year...

But I suppose 40+ shots night after night are not as tough if they come from "weak" opponents! (???????????????????)

Edited by jackp