GAME THREAD: Habs @ Maple Leafs

simonus

I don't want to rate him harshly, 2nd game and all..but I disagree...he seemed to be ineffective altogether.

I thought he was better in his first game - he was going hard to the net against the Canes - he proably went to the net more times in that one game that Lats did all year.

Tonight he had some hits but wasn't driving to the net and most of his shots were VERY long range. But lets face it, with the exception of halak, most of the habs sucked tonight.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have seen us win when we should not have , but we should remind ourselves how tough it is to keep up intensity with a two goal lead in the first minutes, while the other guys hit the panic and play button. Let's not be too hard on them for being normal.

Who among us didn't feel just great after two quick ones. So did they. Which Leafer for Life didn't feel desperate? I thought we did pretty well for much of the game , given this inevitable dynamic.

I've also seen us turn it on.

Great shot from AK and as someone else already mentionned SK and AK can get pretty creative.

Thank God we didn't lose. I HATE losing to the Leafs. To them it's a rivalry. To me its the ultimate embarassment.

Thankyou Habs!

I don't think I even have to comment on this post. Those of you out there who are *neutral* (and I know there are lots of you), *this* is exactly what I've been dealing with over the past year...

But I suppose 40+ shots night after night are not as tough if they come from "weak" opponents! (???????????????????)

They pointed out on the CBC broadcast the 'weak' shots from the Leafs...they shot from everywheres. You refuse to even acknowledge that Markov has been the difference. Listen to the players during interview, their faces light up when they talk about Markov, you can tell he has a calming effect on the team.

They pointed out on the CBC broadcast the 'weak' shots from the Leafs...they shot from everywheres. You refuse to even acknowledge that Markov has been the difference. Listen to the players during interview, their faces light up when they talk about Markov, you can tell he has a calming effect on the team.

No question, Markov has been valuable but your argument is so weak, I don't think you even realize that he wasn't playing in the first game of the streak.

Just *try* to be objective - not all of this "his rebound control was weak but he was still good" nonsense. When Price had his good streak, check my posts. I *praised* him, without reserve. I don't know what you have against Halak but even when he's playing unbelievably well, even when most people realize he's the reason for our little winning streak here, you try to diminish what he's done.

I certainly hope you don't get your wish and he *isn't* traded. (For the good of the team, not because I have a man-crush for Halak, or any other such nonsense).

Having said all this, I do think that they should start Price next game. It would not be good to keep him on the bench much longer. He needs to play.

Edited by jackp

LOL @ Rafikz avatar :clap: You always have a great one.

Markov is amazing and MAB is scary!

Pouliot gets a pass for now. Only his second game coming off an injury, new team, new system... I did like the way he goes to the net and he does have some nice speed.

Almost 50 shots against with Montreal looking stupid in their own zone is embarrassing.

No question, Markov has been valuable but your argument is so weak, I don't think you even realize that he wasn't playing in the first game of the streak.

Just *try* to be objective - not all of this "his rebound control was weak but he was still good" nonsense. When Price had his good streak, check my posts. I *praised* him, without reserve. I don't know what you have against Halak but even when he's playing unbelievably well, even when most people realize he's the reason for our little winning streak here, you try to diminish what he's done.

I certainly hope you don't get your wish and he *isn't* traded. (For the good of the team, not because I have a man-crush for Halak, or any other such nonsense).

Having said all this, I do think that they should start Price next game. It would not be good to keep him on the bench much longer. He needs to play.

I've praised Halak, he makes great saves, but he does not handle the rebounds well. You ever think if he did there may not be 40+ shots a night?

You're sold on Halak, I'm not. Stopping tons of shots, isn't a big deal to me. sv % is terrible stat, check my posts I've been saying it all along. People act like Halak had no chances ever, he's had chances this and last year, he didn't run with it. This time he has, thats great we're winning I'm fist pumpin' like no tomorrow, but that doesn't change the fact his rebound control is crappy.

Edited by bar

I thought Halak played well for two periods and then looked tired in the third, particularly for about a 3-minute span. He made more errors in that stretch than he had for the last three games. I think facing a quadrillion shots over four games has worn him out and he's going to need a rest soon, or we're going to lose him to injury or exhaustion.

I think both goalies are playing pretty well. Both have been inconsistent. Halak loses focus for whole games, while Price loses focus every game for periods of time. They're both still children in the goalie scheme of things. Both will be excellent starters in the future. As much as almost everyone on the boards wants to think negatively about trading or not trading, I'm going to be lonely on the other side. If we keep both, we're looking pretty damn good. If we trade one, the one we keep will be pretty damn good, and we'll get something good for the one that goes. People will bemoan Gainey for trading one - and the potential return - or for not trading one - and the resultant controvercy and lack of return which would have supposedly been high. The way I see it, if he keeps both, he's got one of the best tandems in the game. If he trades one, he'll upgrade us elsewhere. He's in a 'can't lose' IMO.

Price reminds me of Brodeur when he's on. Toskala when he's off. His biggest weakness is his confidence. When he's off, he thinks. When he's on, he reacts. He should let his ego take over on the ice. When he's channelling Roy out there, he's nigh unbeatable. When he's not channelling Roy, he fights every puck.

Halak reminds me of Hart Theodore when he's on. Propecia Theodore when he's off. Personally, I think his biggest weakness is the same as that of Theo - doesn't keep his back straight enough. During Theo's great year - back straight, high shots didn't kill him. When he slouched, he was just a small goalie with good reflexes.

Rebound control has nothing to do with the number of shots. Also the weak team argument is crap. The team in front (including Markov) mailed it in after the first 5 minutes. There were many golden scoring chances for the Leafs and Halak frustrated them all night. Praise the guy!

The Canes and Leafs might be weak teams, but they can win any night against any team when they play well. I have seen us play great teams that played like crap and we all praised the Habs for winning.

The fact is that last night the team sucked and Halak was great. (remember the first game of the year, when Price bailed them out against the leafs, I don't recall anyone diminishing that effort by claiming it was just the leafs?)

In any case, Price should get the next start. I didn't like it when Halak was on the bench for 3 weeks and I don't want to see Price on the bench either. We need them both sharp, not one rusty and the other exhausted.

As for the rest of them, they better start playing harder and competing harder for the puck. Some more effort here and they can dig themselves out of gutter and back into the playoffs.

Rebound control has nothing to do with the number of shots. Also the weak team argument is crap. The team in front (including Markov) mailed it in after the first 5 minutes. There were many golden scoring chances for the Leafs and Halak frustrated them all night. Praise the guy!

I disagree, giving up rebounds can lead to more and more shots.

The Canes and Leafs might be weak teams, but they can win any night against any team when they play well. I have seen us play great teams that played like crap and we all praised the Habs for winning.

The fact is that last night the team sucked and Halak was great. (remember the first game of the year, when Price bailed them out against the leafs, I don't recall anyone diminishing that effort by claiming it was just the leafs?)

I'm not pulling the 'lousy shot' argument off the top of my head, the peeps on CBC were bringing it up, and the reporters after the game.

In any case, Price should get the next start. I didn't like it when Halak was on the bench for 3 weeks and I don't want to see Price on the bench either. We need them both sharp, not one rusty and the other exhausted.

As for the rest of them, they better start playing harder and competing harder for the puck. Some more effort here and they can dig themselves out of gutter and back into the playoffs.

This is agree with 100%. It's the players, but also Martin that need to adjust, the short shifts, the 1-2-2 is doing nothing.

This is agree with 100%. It's the players, but also Martin that need to adjust, the short shifts, the 1-2-2 is doing nothing.

You have to wonder about the system. We've been all over the team for the shots against. I find it hard to believe that they aren't trying. So there must be something wrong with Martin's system - maybe the wrong system for this particular team, as someone here has already mentioned.

(Posted from Dallas where it's really cold for this part of the world - 5 degrees celsius.)

Anybody else find it annoying that we have a team full of speed and skill, yet we play a 1999 style trap game? I thought that sort of system existed for teams that lacked in talent and to keep them in games. We have to be aggressive on the forecheck and that will translate to being aggressive in ALL aspects of the game which will result in more pressure and scoring chances. For the life of me i don't get why Martin wants us to dump the puck and change. Kind of hard to generate goals that way. P.S - Halak is unreal and its a shame that we have two great goalie prospects that can't play every game.

Where have you been the last few years? I've been bitching aboot this for years now. This totally pre dates Martin by several years. Martin is probably the one telling them to stop doing it. This year I've seen on several occasions the Habs pressing when doing a line change. Something I hadnt seen in years. Usually they just dump the puck into the oppositions corner and skate off for a line change. Surprise surprise the Habs actually scored a couple of goals this year by pressing and not just gifting the puck over to the other team. WoW. :clap:

I'm not sure if we are even really seeing Martins system yet. I think the Habs were so used to playing their own way that it could be a long process of 1 little bad habit removed at a time. However in a few games the Habs looked amazing working a system so who knows. Maybe Martin is teaching them the system in parts and lets them know the whole thing but instructs them not to use his entire system all the time. It would be better for other teams to have to figure out the Habs system in the playoffs so theres little point in showing it off now as long as we keep pace to make the playoffs.

Theres definitely still agressiveness issues. Personally I would love to see the Habs be more agressive at their own blue line. SUre the Habs are way better at not conceeding so much ice but they still freely give up their own blue line. If they would take the time to stay close to their blue line it will be their friend. afaik the Habs have only forced 1 offside this year. :wacko:

People act like Halak had no chances ever, he's had chances this and last year, he didn't run with it.

It's true that neither Price nor Halak has grabbed the chance and run with it, that much they certainly have in common.

What a lousy performance by the habs after the first 5-10 minutes! We were lucky to come out of this game with 2 points. The Leafs deserved the win. Thanks the hockey gods for Halak and Plex. This road trip would be aweful if it wasn't for these 2.

Gomez and AK46 have been playing better as well!

I'm just glad we beat the Leafs at the Bell Centre...oups, I was sure they were playing at the Bell Centre...seeing as there were soo many habs fans in attendance!

Edited by Habsfan

It's true that neither Price nor Halak has grabbed the chance and run with it, that much they certainly have in common.

Let's face it: either the two of them are bad, or they both are good. Of course, you know where I stand.

QUOTE (bar @ Dec 27 2009, 11:23 AM)

People act like Halak had no chances ever, he's had chances this and last year, he didn't run with it.

-----------------------------

Revisionist history for those who have a decent memory. Halak was never given a fair shot at the job. The job was given to Price based on expectation. Last year, when Price was hurt, Halak played almost as well as he is playing now. Didn't matter. Personally I believe he was largely responsible for our making the playoffs. The moment Price got better, Halak was benched and did not play again that year, *despite the fact Price was struggling and we barely won another game with him in nets.*

To say that Halak was given a decent chance is simply not true, and anyone who has followed the team knows this.

It never mattered if Halak had a much better save percentage as he did last year. Price was the man, regardless of what Halak did.

Edited by jackp

He was given a shot earlier this year and Price totally stole it from him with his stellar play.

Anyways, for those of you who say that neither has grabbed the ball and ran with it, I think that's not true. They both have throughout the course of their time as a tandem in Montreal, especially this year. Both Price and Halak have had periods of stellar play but, inevitably they cool down sooner or later. When that happens, the other steps in before the other has a chance to pick themselves back up. It's not a bad thing though. Martin does it because he knows he has two good goalies. It's a luxury. I mean, Price didn't exactly crash and burn in his last couple starts. He let in a couple of soft goals but still played well overall. But when Halak finally got a start he made sure to make an impression and we are riding him now. And as soon as he falters in the slightest, Martin will let Price play because Martin knows he's hungry, waiting in the wings. In some ways it sucks for both Price and Halak, but mostly it puts the team at an advantage having two young goalies who both think they deserve to play.

QUOTE (bar @ Dec 27 2009, 11:23 AM)

-----------------------------

Revisionist history for those who have a decent memory. Halak was never given a fair shot at the job. The job was given to Price based on expectation. Last year, when Price was hurt, Halak played almost as well as he is playing now. Didn't matter. Personally I believe he was largely responsible for our making the playoffs. The moment Price got better, Halak was benched and did not play again that year, *despite the fact Price was struggling and we barely won another game with him in nets.*

To say that Halak was given a decent chance is simply not true, and anyone who has followed the team knows this.

It never mattered if Halak had a much better save percentage as he did last year. Price was the man, regardless of what Halak did.

Price had a better GAA than Halak last year if you wanted to be petty about it.

I resent the fact you AGAIN attack a poster saying 'anyone who has followed the team knows this'. I watch every game, I even order RDS and do not speak a lick of french. It's getting really tiring when I'm trying to debate with you merits and you end your posts with these me against the world remarks. You ever think maybe those with greater hockey minds than us (the montreal brain trust) knows stuff we do not? Hockey teams are like a onion, we see only the top layer, you pull back one layer, there are many more. I refuse to believe Gainey is doing anything to save his job, you cannot accuse the type of man Gainey is for doing that.

Maybe they believe this is as good as Halak can get and Price potential trumps Halak. Big picture vs Little Picture. Then again I'm not in the dressing room, in the meetings, so I have no more inside knowledge than you.

What a lousy performance by the habs after the first 5-10 minutes! We were lucky to come out of this game with 2 points. The Leafs deserved the win. Thanks the hockey gods for Halak and Plex. This road trip would be aweful if it wasn't for these 2.

Gomez and AK46 have been playing better as well!

I'm just glad we beat the Leafs at the Bell Centre...oups, I was sure they were playing at the Bell Centre...seeing as there were soo many habs fans in attendance!

Hey now, don't forget Markov. He's stepped in and scored goals, made brilliant passes, is calm in the defensive end and gets the puck out efficiently, and he's the only defender who steps up at the blueline during an opposing rush to challenge the attacker. Agreed on Halak and Plex, but I think we have to include Markov as the third star who has helped the team win these games.