• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada, Russia, Sweden

The big 3 teams all had shaky starts

Teams like Slovakia, Czech Rep and USA have proven to be more than legit

The 2nd round should be great

Edited by rafikz

I know everyone is throwing the same names around who should be on the team (the Tampa 3, Green, etc), but there's one guy I'm thinking would have made an excellent candidate: Alex Burrows. He's got tons of speed, goes to the dirty areas, annoys the opposition, creates space for star players, and is good defensively. I actually think he could have made a good linemate for Getzlaf/Perry or even Crosby (with Iggy or Nash).

I got the feeling that Canada was thinking too rigidly with the roster when it was about to be announced (people in the end were quibbling over one or two spots, clearly too many guys were considered locks). They should really look at what guys can do in certain roles... almost all these guys are go to guys, you need more than that to make a team.

Not that they are doing badly, the system is creating tons of chances, it's just there's more to the game than that. Guys like Kesler and Callahan know what their role is on USA. No one on Canada has that kind of mentality. Canada could use guys who have played support roles on teams in the past, guys that weren't top 10 draft picks that had to work their way from a 4th liner to be a top line guy.

Can't understand why nobody talks about Toews....he's been one of the bright spots in the team. And again they put him on the 4th line vs the germans. Toews is a player a team like canada needs and lacks very much right now. He was with Doughty the best man vs usa!

Agreed. Toews should be played more, his speed down the middle is incredibly important. Canada should have picked one of Thornton and Getzlaf and that's it (I'd have taken Getzlaf).

Luongo in net, + D's moving the puck + cheat the red line for breakaways.

That should do it for tonight.

And for Friday i'd wish Pronger makes them eat some sherwood and make Markov feel real pain in the ankles,

a good cheap shot or an elbow Richard's style. Man i wish Grabovski played to hurt the basta... :wacko: .

You'r heart for your country why don't you suffer for it a little bit.

Red, red and blood red nation.

Agreed. Toews should be played more, his speed down the middle is incredibly important. Canada should have picked one of Thornton and Getzlaf and that's it (I'd have taken Getzlaf).

One choice they made I'll never understand: Joe Thornton.

Career choker - what were they thinking?!!! The braintrust should have read the fable about the scorpion and the frog.

One choice they made I'll never understand: Joe Thornton.

Career choker - what were they thinking?!!! The braintrust should have read the fable about the scorpion and the frog.

What's funny is that Heatley and Marleau are doing quite well in spite of Thornton being their centre.

Speed kills in one game competitions. The Yanks had it at the WJC's more than the Canadians did, and I think it made up for the talent gap. You just don't have enough time to make the adjustments in one game eliminations. The element of surprise is huge.

That being said, Canada can still win this thing with the guys they have. I don't think the draw they are facing as a result is a good thing, but losing to the USA could easily be the shot they needed.

Unbelievable... Why have Crosby take the penalty shot.. Nash needs to get going and we are up 4-0...

anyone else notice that all the scoring chances for Germany are when Pronger is on the ice???? Please don't play him against the speedy russians!!

Quote of the tournament from Mike Milbury: "I don't like the coaching coming from Uwe Krupp. He's having his players just stand around like fire hydrants and they're getting peed on." :lol:

How about that goal that went through the net?!! Old-timers here will remember Beliveau scoring one like that in overtime in a playoffs against the Rangers. No video replay available to the officials, so it was a good thing that we scored again later on in the overtime.

:( at my two favourite teams facing eachother. At least after this round, I'll be sure who I want to win.

Does anyone know if Zinoviev is fit to play?

We will see some Pronger, why ? cuz Boyle really stinks in this tournament.

IF Pronger doesn't go too far, play Hall Gill style he will be useful.

Tough night for Slvakia against Norway, i wonder if they'l have some juice left for Sweden.

Awesome!

Seriously, would you feel right about going through the Swiss, Slovakia to get the gold? If you have faith in the team then you'd want to earn it! Play the best team, prove Canada is the power house we all think it is.

WE WANT RUSSIA!!!!

Common, this is the game everyone wanted to see. Yea, it's coming a little early, but it's coming!!! I'm pumped... I know it's going to be entertaining. I'm just hoping Russia doesn't run up the score early on (I obviously wouldn't mind Canada running up the score though...)

Man, Latvia almost pulled off the big upset vs. the Czechs. I absolutely love the Latvian hockey team. By far the coolest national sports team in the world. Their fans are ridiculously passionate and rip the team to shreds when they lose, even when the odds are long. It's like being a Habs fan on the global stage, except with no past glory to take comfort in during tough times. So, in a way, it's like being a Roughriders fan.

When Latvia tied the game, I nearly lost it. When Krejci scored the winner, my heart just sank.

Norway gave Slovakia a scare, too.

If we lose tonight I'll blame team Canada for not giving the net to Fleury ! Come on, he just won the Stanley Cup, 2 Finals in the last 2 years, the one who knows best Ovechkin and Malkin.. give him the net !