Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

Interesting. Watched the game with lot of people (playing a 16 players poker tournament...) and a few of us picked a player to score in OT.

I chose Doughty (like to pick darkhorses and long shots so it's really cool when you hit...), some other picks were Toews, Iginla, Nash and Heatley.

None of us picked Crosby !?!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Watched the game with lot of people (playing a 16 players poker tournament...) and a few of us picked a player to score in OT.

I chose Doughty (like to pick darkhorses and long shots so it's really cool when you hit...), some other picks were Toews, Iginla, Nash and Heatley.

None of us picked Crosby !?!

Yeh, I picked Getz.

Sidenote: I wonder if there are any riots happening in the big cities? I live in a relatively small city, and in a nice neighbourhood... but I just had 2 drunken idiots ringing my bell and bodychecking (for real) my house at 130am. It was fantastic watching them resist arrest and seeing the cops take them down hard!

Yeh, I picked Getz.

Sidenote: I wonder if there are any riots happening in the big cities? I live in a relatively small city, and in a nice neighbourhood... but I just had 2 drunken idiots ringing my bell and bodychecking (for real) my house at 130am. It was fantastic watching them resist arrest and seeing the cops take them down hard!

The yahoos always try to ruin a good thing. Good for you, calling the cops...

680news.com is running a poll as to your favourite Olympic moment - Crosby's goal is there as well as Joannie Rochette. It was a close thing, but I took Rochette.

Yeh, I picked Getz.

I don't know about riots but in the paper this morning it certainly looked like most cities where shutdown. They showed Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton and they all had packed streets. I went down to the Red Mile myself last night with friends, you would've thought it was 2004 again. Really awesome, the massive hangover I have now is worth it. :clap:

My favourite moment was in the opening ceremonies, right before Canada came in. There was a small country between the USA and Canada, after that little country went by there was a long pause as the music changed. Then, on the horizon you saw the tip of the canadian flag peak through, then more and more heads broke the horizon, and they marched like they were an army going to war, my favourite moment.

To me, this wasn't about Crosby (no matter how hard the media tried), but about Canada's depth as a team and the rise of some young stars. Both the US and Canadian teams were blessed with some amazing performances from the next generation of players.

To me, Toews is the one the media should be drooling over. 13th forward my butt.

Well, about 50% of the population (16M) watched the game in its entirety. 26.6% (about 80%) watched at least part. There really can be no doubt - Canada IS hockey. Those numbers are mind-boggling. Imagine had that game been on a weekday afternoon? Country shut down.

Most watched hockey game in the US since the Miracle on Ice. Approximately 27 million viewers. They're going on and on about how great a game it was on Around the Horn on ESPN. One guy said something to the effect that it was one of the most important sporting events of our lifetime. It was certainly a good game, but it's getting blown so out of proportion. Why is Canada beating the US for Olympic gold in 2010 any different than the same thing happening back in 2002?

Edited by Fanpuck33

Well, about 50% of the population (16M) watched the game in its entirety. 26.6% (about 80%) watched at least part. There really can be no doubt - Canada IS hockey. Those numbers are mind-boggling. Imagine had that game been on a weekday afternoon? Country shut down.

Kinda felt like it today anyway. Had to go downtown again, was high-fiving people in the street. Lots of celebrating still going on, I bet there was zero working getting done in the country today, lol. Basically everyone is still decked out in their Team Canada jerseys.

Most watched hockey game in the US since the Miracle on Ice. Approximately 27 million viewers. They're going on and on about how great a game it was on Around the Horn on ESPN. One guy said something to the effect that it was one of the most important sporting events of our lifetime. It was certainly a good game, but it's getting blown so out of proportion. Why is Canada beating the US for Olympic gold in 2010 any different than the same thing happening back in 2002?

Do you mean from an American perspective? Or everyone? Because wondering why Canada cares so much is weird.

In Ottawa things went crazy. My friends and I were out at a sport bar on one of the main downtown strips. After the game we marched downtown flags waving all the way to parliament hill. Within 30 minutes there were thousands of people celebrating and partying on parliament hill, signing Oh Canada, literally dancing in the centennial flame. A pickup hockey game even broke out. It was really amazing.

To top things off I got my picture in the Ottawa Citizen and my fiancee was quoted in the citizen and had her picture in the Ottawa Sun!

Do you mean from an American perspective? Or everyone? Because wondering why Canada cares so much is weird.

Down here, definitely.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't quite get the hysteria up there to a degree. Why was this event so much bigger than 8 years ago? Seems like beating us on US soil would be a bigger accomplishment.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't quite get the hysteria up there to a degree. Why was this event so much bigger than 8 years ago? Seems like beating us on US soil would be a bigger accomplishment.

Well, for one, it just happened. Secondly, it was very dramatic - being tied in the last 24 seconds, and then winning in OT. The game in 2002 was not that close or dramatic. Having said that, the country was still pretty hysterical in 2002... and even more in 1972.

The game will be put into proper perspective as the years march on...

Down here, definitely.

Going from never having won olympic gold at home to breaking the record for gold metals with an OT win in men's hockey could be the reason.

Going from never having won olympic gold at home to breaking the record for gold metals with an OT win in men's hockey could be the reason.

I guess it just seems like there would be more relief than euphoria. I can understand not wanting to lose on home soil, but to me, winning is winning. I don't care that the US won the gold in hockey in 1960 and 1980, I just care that they won. Heck, I think Miracle on Ice could have been even more epic had it happened elsewhere, particularly somewhere in the Soviet Union. Plus, this was only the second time Canada has hosted. It's not like the country has failed at home a number of times.

I guess part of my not understanding is that I like hockey no matter what. I don't relate to people who only get interested come the Olympics. I also don't understand why 10 million more people watched in the US this time around than in 2002. I guess I just don't get why the hockey was so much more hyped this year. Did the rest of the world just feed off of Canada's hunger to win on home soil?

Edited by Fanpuck33

Down here, definitely.

Because it capped an Olympic Games that could, quite potentially, change the way Canadians perceive themselves, and indeed the way the world perceives Canada. It wasn't the fact that we beat the US, rather it was the way it was done. Choking in the final moments only to come out in overtime with all the vim and vigour that a great many would probably have reserved for Los Americanos.

Canadians have never been as patriotic as they were yesterday. Since when do we go around waving flags, breaking out in the most boring anthem in existence, and generally acting with all the self-assuredness of a country like the States? I've never seen that. Not even when the last referendum brought people together to try to convince Quebec to stay. Hockey, and these Olympics in general, have done more to unify this country than has any political gesture.

This is something that will take time to digest and gestate, but these games culminated by THAT game may have been the beginning of Canada's adult-hood. Time will tell.

1. Paul Henderson, 1972

2. Sidney Crosby, 2010

3. Mario Lemieux, 1987

4. Darryl Sittler, 1976

IMO; honourable mention to Kariya's goal in the 2002 gold medal game in Salt Lake. It wasn't so much Kariya's goal as it was Mario Lemieux watching the puck go by and knowing, "That's not for me". Richter was caught like a deer in headlights by the presence of #66. Too bad for Richter since Kariya had an open net - Mario KNEW IT!.

I'm not dumping on Richter here. Any goalie would have been fooled. Lemieux watched the puck go right by him. My jaw was on the floor for a play that actually was a non assist. Hockey sense, presence and...well...that's the MAGNIFICENT! I am still in awe of that goal.

IMO; honourable mention to Kariya's goal in the 2002 gold medal game in Salt Lake. It wasn't so much Kariya's goal as it was Mario Lemieux watching the puck go by and knowing, "That's not for me". Richter was caught like a deer in headlights by the presence of #66. Too bad for Richter since Kariya had an open net - Mario KNEW IT!.

I'm not dumping on Richter here. Any goalie would have been fooled. Lemieux watched the puck go right by him. My jaw was on the floor for a play that actually was a non assist. Hockey sense, presence and...well...that's the MAGNIFICENT! I am still in awe of that goal.

Funny you bring that up! I originally had it on my list ranked #5 and I still rate it the most astounding hockey play I've ever seen. The thing about that goal, though, is that, while it is one of the single most brilliant plays in the history of hockey, it wasn't, on its own, the key to the entire outcome the way all those other goals are. It was just a jaw-dropping play in the context of a game Canada controlled fairly solidly. Last-second GWG, OT winners - these are a whole other kettle of fish in terms of sheer importance and iconography. Look at Henderson's goal, nothing pretty about it (and talk about a defensive breakdown!), but that matters not one bit. It's the Goal of All Time because of what it meant.

I guess it just seems like there would be more relief than euphoria. I can understand not wanting to lose on home soil, but to me, winning is winning. I don't care that the US won the gold in hockey in 1960 and 1980, I just care that they won. Heck, I think Miracle on Ice could have been even more epic had it happened elsewhere, particularly somewhere in the Soviet Union. Plus, this was only the second time Canada has hosted. It's not like the country has failed at home a number of times.

I guess part of my not understanding is that I like hockey no matter what. I don't relate to people who only get interested come the Olympics. I also don't understand why 10 million more people watched in the US this time around than in 2002. I guess I just don't get why the hockey was so much more hyped this year. Did the rest of the world just feed off of Canada's hunger to win on home soil?

First off, that it was against the US or in Canada didn't matter. This country would be partying if we won Gold against Norway in Jamaica. That it was on home soil against the US only added to the victory but this euphoria was just the same when we beat the US in 2002. The celebrations when we win the Juniors aren't far off from now either. The Worlds are still kind of minor but thats about it (with the exception being in 2005 because we were all so hockey starved)

I think you might be underestimating exactly what the game of hockey means to Canada. It's shoved in your face as soon as you're born into the world. Canadian society says like this game or dammit, we're gonna make you like it. It's a part of who you are as a Canadian. And I don't mean that as an insult, frankly I don't think any outsiders know exactly what hockey means to Canada until they see it for themselves. Heres a little example:

Calgary

Some of them by themselves aren't impressive. But to think all of those were happening simultaneously? Now everyone will go back to cheering for their NHL teams but for two weeks, this country was united on one front and that OT goal by Crosby just gave Canadians everywhere a reason to thump our chests about the game we love to claim as our own.

It's something thats tough to explain to a non-Canadian yet when you're here and experiencing it live, you just "get" what hockey means to us.

Because it capped an Olympic Games that could, quite potentially, change the way Canadians perceive themselves, and indeed the way the world perceives Canada. It wasn't the fact that we beat the US, rather it was the way it was done. Choking in the final moments only to come out in overtime with all the vim and vigour that a great many would probably have reserved for Los Americanos.

Canadians have never been as patriotic as they were yesterday. Since when do we go around waving flags, breaking out in the most boring anthem in existence, and generally acting with all the self-assuredness of a country like the States? I've never seen that. Not even when the last referendum brought people together to try to convince Quebec to stay. Hockey, and these Olympics in general, have done more to unify this country than has any political gesture.

This is something that will take time to digest and gestate, but these games culminated by THAT game may have been the beginning of Canada's adult-hood. Time will tell.

Well said Colin (well, not the boring anthem thing but you know the internet and the crazy opinions you'll find so I'll let it slide). Some people have already said this but Canadian patriotism has always been there. We were just waiting for the proper stage to show it.

I loved the little flick of the stick Mario gave as if he was going to shoot the puck too. Completely fooled Richter. I still remember that back in Grade 9, that was the one goal everyone was talking about all day on the Monday after.

Another goal that I remembered while typing out my essay to Fanpuck (What I wrote was about 4 times longer then what I'm actually posting) is Jordan Eberle's goal with 2 seconds against Russia. I know as a Junior goal it doesn't exactly compare to the Olympics or Canada Cup but that was another one where I was sure most of the country was up and cheering at the exact same time.

Canadians have never been as patriotic as they were yesterday. Since when do we go around waving flags, breaking out in the most boring anthem in existence, and generally acting with all the self-assuredness of a country like the States? I've never seen that. Not even when the last referendum illegally brought people together to try to convince Quebec to stay. Hockey, and these Olympics in general, have done more to unify this country than has any political gesture.

fixed :P

That goal was/is pure gold in my mind. It was so awesome that even Maca can't top that...

Another play I find that awesome is when Derek Jeter ran close to the plate and intercepted a throw coming from the right field to cut a guy at the plate. Dunno if we can find it on the web since the MLB take out majority of their vids.

Too bad, in my opinion. It seems in a world that is becoming less and less about imaginary lines on a map, Canada just took a step back with it's recent development of brimming patriotism.

Oh well.

Sure would. The athletes would just represent themselves.

The old nationalism VS internationalism debate. Again... politics, or more accurately, political philosophy. You'll never get anyone to change their political beliefs, so we should just stick to hockey.

The old nationalism VS internationalism debate. Again... politics, or more accurately, political philosophy. You'll never get anyone to change their political beliefs, so we should just stick to hockey.

Haven't seemed to have done much better changing hockey beliefs either...

And I'd rather not be silenced just because of general apathy.