Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

Just saw an interview with some of the Team Canada players. They are not taking Slovakia lightly (thank god)! Slovakia has the best PP and PK in the tourney, apparently. All the players mentioned Halak and Chara as players of concern. This team beat Russia, then they beat Sweden. We'd be completely brain-dead to take them lightly.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this is just a pathetic demonstration of hockey by the Finns. Even Norway played the Americans tighter than this.
Kipper must have taken the wrong notes while watching Nabokov. Yikes. A performance like that in the playoffs spells doom for Calgary. Not taking anything away from the USA on that note; USA would have won even if Kipper had been playing his A game.

So much for the Finns doing us a favour. And we still have to win a game tonight. There were a lot of people at my work that have Slovakia totally written off. Probably true but hockey can JUST come down to good fortune or bad luck sometimes.

So much for the Finns doing us a favour. And we still have to win a game tonight. There were a lot of people at my work that have Slovakia totally written off. Probably true but hockey can JUST come down to good fortune or bad luck sometimes.

Your co-workers are fools to write off the Slovaks. How can you write off a team that has beaten both the Russians and the Swedes thus far?

Your co-workers are fools to write off the Slovaks. How can you write off a team that has beaten both the Russians and the Swedes thus far?

At least it doesn't sound like Canada is taking the Slovaks lightly.

At least it doesn't sound like Canada is taking the Slovaks lightly.

They're saying the right things. By rights, it will be a much tighter defensive game tonight. Canada should still win, but we'll have to be relentlessly physical at both ends and play a disciplined, NHL-style game. And Luongo will need to be strong (which he should be). Canada is justifiably the favourite, but an upset would not be a total shock by any means.

I never count my chickens and I agree absolutely.

At least the Finns didn't have a vacation today like the Swedes did. Alfie? :blink: Talk about no emotion. :wacko: Chewing bubble gum on the bench with 5 to go in regulation???? :?- :?- :?- Sad display from the defending champs IMO!

Grrr. Everwhere I look and listen, I keep hearing about the Canada-USA rematch as if it was a guaranteed. I had plenty of sympathy for the Slovaks to begin with, now I've got even more. I'm secretly dreaming Slovakia beats Canada and the USA just to teach both countries a lesson.

But hey, Canada-USA rematch, for the Gold. Can't really write such a good script. Almost impossible in such a tournament to have history between two teams and Canada-USA have some.

Hats off to Halak. What are the Chances? Yikes! It should be 3-0 or 4-0, maybe 5-0. Slovakia is in trouble. The only thing that is their friend right now is the deficit is the worst lead in hockey. The defending neutral zone trap game cannot be their only game plan. They have to open up something. This is not in their plan at all. Slovaks had better change up style soon, somehow.

They're thrown off for sure

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

That is what I want, Halak to play great making us earn our goals. ie... not a Brodeur or Kipper performance to hand the game away. We don't need a goalie like that next week when the NHL is back.

So far so good. Halak is playing well, but our boys are screening and tipping them in.

One final wish... a couple of goals from brutal Chara screwups.. hee hee...

Hats off to Halak. What are the Chances? Yikes! It should be 3-0 or 4-0, maybe 5-0. Slovakia is in trouble. The only thing that is their friend right now is the deficit is the worst lead in hockey. The defending neutral zone trap game cannot be their only game plan. They have to open up something. This is not in their plan at all. Slovaks had better change up style soon, somehow.

They're thrown off for sure

They said 11-0

They better handle the forecheck better then that against the US or they are toast.

Crosby made so many soft plays in the last 10 minute I would have benched him. Bergeron too.

What an incredible glove save in the dying seconds.. that looked like a sure goal.

Wow... what a finish to that game! I'm still shaking. What a save by Luongo. Just unreal. Slovakia deserves tons of credit. I hope they beat the Finns.

Now we got the big rivalry Gold Medal game that's gonna make history.

Whew! My heart is still pounding from that insanity. I haven't screamed at the TV like that since the old days of the habs going deep into the playoffs... :wacko:

Great that we made the gold medal game, but you have to be concerned about the complete lack of cohesion displayed in the last 10 minutes. I do think Slovakia played rope-a-dope and almost won, lulling us to sleep and then going for the quick strike knockout - that was basically their game plan - but there's also the possibility that team cohesion is only skin deep and that Canada can be rattled way off its game when things go wrong. You can bet the USA will be breaking all that down very, very closely.

Crosby, Iginla - what gives?!? They're dazed out there. Thornton is too, but that was expected. Bergeron shouldn't have been chosen in the first place and is busily proving why. As for Luongo, let's hope that incredible last-second save jolts him into the zone. He's been good enough, but that's not Luongo's 'A' game.

Thank God we get a day off for the coaches to address these issues.

And congrats to Slovakia, they clearly have to be rated with the Finns, Czechs, and (usually) the USA in the club of major hockey powers.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Anyone still doubt about Morrow ? I told you, this guy was a lock on team Canada. One of my favourite player in the NHL.

Edit : holy crap ! I just read the first posts of the thread and realised I wanted JayBo over Doughty !!! What a shame. Doughty has been our best dman !!!

Edited by JoeLassister

Some observations...

What the hell was Babcock doing, splitting up our best line against the Russians? He'd better have Nash and Getzlaf back together for the final. I hate when coaches pull a Whitey Herzog and over-coach. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!!!!"

Goaltending remains our achilles heel. That was just a brutal goal Luongo gave up for the 1st Slovakian one. It put them back in the game and made for that dicey ending.

Babcock better be ready with the quick hook if he starts to falter in the final. So far I've seen Luongo twice in big finals, once at the Worlds and once in game 7 last year. Both times, he absolutely stunk. I'm not feeling confident about the final and it's because of our goaltending. Give me the Brodeur from 8 years ago and I'd be feeling very confident.

If we are to have any chance at all, we have to return to the intensity displayed against the Russians... and Babcock needs to put Getzlaf back with Nash!