Canada's Men Hockey Team

JoeLassister

If we lose tonight I'll blame team Canada for not giving the net to Fleury ! Come on, he just won the Stanley Cup, 2 Finals in the last 2 years, the one who knows best Ovechkin and Malkin.. give him the net !

Man, I have a feeling about Luongo, especially playing in that building. Leave him in!!

I love Crosby's game - don't know why he gets so little love from Canadian fans - and he is clearly the lynchpin of this team. I also love the fact that he's not yet lost a true clutch game against Ovechkin. A quiet fact in our favour.

Having said that, the last change is the real weapon in Russia's arsenal tonight. We're in tough, boys!! :wacko:

GAME OF THE YEAR! Bring it on!!!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we lose tonight I'll blame team Canada for not giving the net to Fleury ! Come on, he just won the Stanley Cup, 2 Finals in the last 2 years, the one who knows best Ovechkin and Malkin.. give him the net !

And if we win will you apologize to Roberto for not having faith?

This is why watching Canadian Olympic hockey is brutal: Joannie Rochette.

What? You say?

The girl's mother drops dead of a heart attack two days before she's to perform at the Olympics. Rather than quit or run away into a deep dark hole, she goes out, performs basically flawlessly, and sits herself in third. No one would have blinked had she quit. No one would have questioned anything. But THIS was her shot. This was her big chance. She went for it.

And then we have the millionnaire, superstar, "professional," NHL wads who can't leave it all out on the ice because... well, because IT DOESN'T MATTER AS MUCH TO THEM. Win or lose, they'll get ribbed or cheer for two or three weeks, will think about the experience every once in a blue moon, but otherwise will go back to their million dollar paychecks and their untouchable lifestyle.

They are utterly and completely undeserving of being caught up in the Olympic spirit.

What? You say?

The girl's mother drops dead of a heart attack two days before she's to perform at the Olympics. Rather than quit or run away into a deep dark hole, she goes out, performs basically flawlessly, and sits herself in third. No one would have blinked had she quit. No one would have questioned anything. But THIS was her shot. This was her big chance. She went for it.

And then we have the millionnaire, superstar, "professional," NHL wads who can't leave it all out on the ice because... well, because IT DOESN'T MATTER AS MUCH TO THEM. Win or lose, they'll get ribbed or cheer for two or three weeks, will think about the experience every once in a blue moon, but otherwise will go back to their million dollar paychecks and their untouchable lifestyle.

They are utterly and completely undeserving of being caught up in the Olympic spirit.

?

What is this based on? The fact that they lost to the USA?

What? You say?

Yeah Colin... I thought this was pretty unfair... and totally surprising coming from you. How do you know how the boys feel about playing in this tournament? Despite all the money they get, they all wanted to be on this team and it's pretty obvious that they're trying as hard as they can. (If anything, they're a little too tight = difficulty scoring.)

As far as Joannie was concerned, I don't mind saying that her performance brought tears to my eyes. It was pretty obvious that she was skating for her mom. She wasn't even paying attention to the score when they first brought it up. Having been there a few times before, I have some appreciation of just how difficult it was for her (when you have that "rock" in your stomach, that just won't go away).

Yeah Colin... I thought this was pretty unfair... and totally surprising coming from you. How do you know how the boys feel about playing in this tournament? Despite all the money they get, they all wanted to be on this team and it's pretty obvious that they're trying as hard as they can. (If anything, they're a little too tight = difficulty scoring.)

Maybe teams like Canada are giving 100%, but teams like Switzerland are out there giving 110%. This tournament means so much more to them than it does to teams full of NHLers. NHLers play to hoist the Cup, not to wear gold medals. Sure, it means something to them, but it is of secondary concern. I doubt there is anyone on team USA or Canada who would rather win gold than win a Cup.

Now, unlike Colin, I still like Olympic hockey. Yes, I am still disappointed that they use professionals these days, but at the same time, this is the only international hockey I ever get to see. I don't get coverage of the World Championships (at any level) and the only time other than the Olympics I've seen international hockey was the World Cup they did in 2004. Heck, that's why I love the Olympics, period. Aside from stinking figure skating, it's the only time any of these sports are on down here. Curling, skiing, speed skating, etc.

Edited by Fanpuck33

What I like about Olympic hockey is that the officiating is awesome. I haven't seen anything really to get me as angry as I would within watching 3 different NHL games Habs and non-Habs. It's the IIHF/Olympic rules I like. Even at World Cups and junior there is that standard. But the NHL still can't ref it's way out of a paper bag.

But that's because the league has no idea what they want or are doing. Seriously, the new NHL didn't start after the lockout. It happened in 1995 when the previous lockout was solved. Evidence of this is "no skate in the crease" from the 1998-99 season. Rules and changes and bigger nets :blink: The new confused NHL is 15 years old.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

What I like about Olympic hockey is that the officiating is awesome. I haven't seen anything really to get me as angry as I would within watching 3 different NHL games Habs and non-Habs. It's the IIHF/Olympic rules I like. Even at World Cups and junior there is that standard. But the NHL still can't ref it's way out of a paper bag.

But that's because the league has no idea what they want or are doing. Seriously, the new NHL didn't start after the lockout. It happened in 1995 when the previous lockout was solved. Evidence of this is "no skate in the crease" from the 1998-99 season. Rules and changes and bigger nets :blink: The new confused NHL is 15 years old.

Honestly, the no-touch icing and no trapezoid just about are the only things that separate international hockey from NHL hockey at this point, especially on North American rinks. I think the officiating has been no better than in the NHL. There was interference all over the place by the Swiss today and then an obvious trip was missed that would have given the Swiss a later powerplay.

I hope they can keep this intensity up for the rest of the tournament.
I think so. In spite of Russia's surprising collapse in this game I am really pumped that the Canadians have found their DEVASTATING A game. I'd like to see a USA matchup now considering our play. I'm not boasting here because they are able to beat us again. BUT, this team has awaken! And, we could be a rotten customer in the Americans kitchen now.

Time will tell. I'm happy with the cohesion. They are becoming nasty :D

I think so. In spite of Russia's surprising collapse in this game I am really pumped that the Canadians have found their DEVASTATING A game. I'd like to see a USA matchup now considering our play. I'm not boasting here because they are able to beat us again. BUT, this team has awaken! And, we could be a rotten customer in the Americans kitchen now.

Time will tell. I'm happy with the cohesion. They are becoming nasty :D

I don't know if I'd take too much from this game. Nabokov was terrible and the game could have had a very different complexion had the coaching staff lifted him after the 1st period. Shocking that they waited so long. Canada definitely played well, but those two quick goals to start the second period killed them.

Boyle should be suspended for the semi-final game. His retaliation was asinine.

No team on the planet, anywhere, at any time, could have handled what Team Canada brought to the table in the first period tonight. Do not be deceived by the Nabokov-blaming. Nabokov was not stellar by any means, but he was up against an absolute man-eating machine. If we play like we did that period for the rest of the tourney, you can bet the mortgage on gold. Lights out.

I was quoted yesterday (drunk but I'll keep my words) stating that the podium WILL be :

Gold : Canada

Silver : Sweden

Bronze : Russia

Wow !!!! How wrong was I ? Amazing. Parity in male hockey is awesome ! :clap:

Anyone else has a kind of soft spot for Slovakia? Beat Russia and Sweden, two huge favorites. I'm gonna have a hard time cheering against them vs Canada because Slovakia deserves a medal. But I also want the big Canada-USA revenge showdown.

Anyone else has a kind of soft spot for Slovakia? Beat Russia and Sweden, two huge favorites. I'm gonna have a hard time cheering against them vs Canada because Slovakia deserves a medal. But I also want the big Canada-USA revenge showdown.

They can take the bronze :P.

Maybe teams like Canada are giving 100%, but teams like Switzerland are out there giving 110%. This tournament means so much more to them than it does to teams full of NHLers. NHLers play to hoist the Cup, not to wear gold medals. Sure, it means something to them, but it is of secondary concern. I doubt there is anyone on team USA or Canada who would rather win gold than win a Cup.

You're wrong here. I've seen many NHLers saying that the gold medal equal to winning the Cup and a few have said that winning Gold was the highlight of their careers. They could've had 2 weeks off but they all wanted to be on this team.