GAME THREAD: Habs @ Panthers *5PM EASTERN*

simonus

that was a scary penalty kill. I think Halak has atoned for some of the weak goal with some of his recent saves.

And I'd say the team owes Halak for all the bacon he saved earlier on the road trip.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'd say the team owes Halak for all the bacon he saved earlier on the road trip.

Especially since the first 2 goals were breakaways. 

CrAzY game. 9 goals scored in a game vs Florida. Who would have thunk? :P

6 points in 4 games for Gomez. :D

Hope Kostitsyn is alright. Good news is that they tried to bring him back but he couldn't. That tells me that if they at least thought he he could, it's not like his kneecap is hanging on by a thread or whatever. Should be minor.

Edited by ForumGhost

Hope Kostitsyn is alright. Good news is that they tried to bring him back but he couldn't. That tells me that if they at least thought he he could, it's not like his kneecap is hanging on by a thread or whatever. Should be minor.

On the replay, it looked like he got hit in his thigh, so its probably just a very bad case of charley-horse.

Good offense.

Bad defense, but: they get the pass. Last game in a long road trip, bound to have one really abysmal game. How many odd-man rushes? Halak looked like a shinney goalie at times. For this game, though, I could care less. All I wanted to see was guys going out there to have fun. They've already put together a successful road trip, anything extra was a bonus. Of course, the win is always the goal, but tonight a 10-9 win would have been perfectly reasonable; that's my point.

Pouliot is still rusty from missing so many games... and he's SOOOO much better than Latendresse it's almost embarassing. I think we should threaten to sit Pax more. D'Ags must be in a little shock, he went from ousting Pax from the lineup to watching #67 get first line duty when Kosty went down. Both Kosty's injured in one day: I should have predicted that one. (Incidentally, was Sergei pulled out of the lineup because of a supposed injury, or was he pulled out because he's about to be traded. :P ) Markov is now a top-3 defender - in all of hockey. If he can be this effective coming off that debilitating an injury...

21-19-3, 6-1 road trip with the team healthy. Re-tool. Not rebuild. The next 20 games will be the most interesting in Habland in a long time. Can they keep it up and get solidly into the playoffs; both goalies continuing to improve and more consistent play from the skaters? Or will they keep taking two steps forward then stumbling again? IMO, we need one or two players to really compete every night: a big, mean defensive centre (with plenty of offensive talent would be a large bonus) and another really effective puck moving defender.

Good offense.

Bad defense, but: they get the pass. Last game in a long road trip, bound to have one really abysmal game. How many odd-man rushes? Halak looked like a shinney goalie at times. For this game, though, I could care less. All I wanted to see was guys going out there to have fun. They've already put together a successful road trip, anything extra was a bonus. Of course, the win is always the goal, but tonight a 10-9 win would have been perfectly reasonable; that's my point.

Pouliot is still rusty from missing so many games... and he's SOOOO much better than Latendresse it's almost embarassing. I think we should threaten to sit Pax more. D'Ags must be in a little shock, he went from ousting Pax from the lineup to watching #67 get first line duty when Kosty went down. Both Kosty's injured in one day: I should have predicted that one. (Incidentally, was Sergei pulled out of the lineup because of a supposed injury, or was he pulled out because he's about to be traded. :P ) Markov is now a top-3 defender - in all of hockey. If he can be this effective coming off that debilitating an injury...

21-19-3, 6-1 road trip with the team healthy. Re-tool. Not rebuild. The next 20 games will be the most interesting in Habland in a long time. Can they keep it up and get solidly into the playoffs; both goalies continuing to improve and more consistent play from the skaters? Or will they keep taking two steps forward then stumbling again? IMO, we need one or two players to really compete every night: a big, mean defensive centre (with plenty of offensive talent would be a large bonus) and another really effective puck moving defender.

Paullson?

Gomez is slowly starting to turn it around here. Amen. I guess its a good thing Gionta is back. More importantly, this team is starting to play better for longer and longer stretches of time. I feel pretty positive about these guys going into the new year, getting healthy, gelling, etc.

hey! A regulation win! WOO!

12/14 possible points on the december horror trip!

:clap::blink:

Game ends at 7:30. That's when it usually starts. Confusing!!!!

They should do double-headers. :P Both goalies starts

:lol:

No doubt in my mind that Pouliot has all the tools to become an excellent player. I don't miss Guillaume at all. Pouliot hits, skates, makes good passes, goes in front of the net and gives opportunities to Gomez and Gionta. What the hell! he's doing it all!

That's part of the great Martin system

And once again Metro is on the PP :wacko::angry:

Metro plays on the PP because he is the only right-handed centre and it gives Martin options. Also, let's say that he has done a surprisingly good job so far.

Nope. I think MAB is the guy, but he has to at least start faking some shots to attract the D. I think the fact that ordinarily he hits the net, he is even a better point man then Souray or Streit were. But if the opposition isn't going to try and take away his shot bcoz he doesn't even look look like he is going to shoot by doing some pump fakes or something, then he isn't adding anything to the PP.

....great Penalty to Markov.

Don't you see it? MAB just knows WHEN to shoot the puck. He doesn't spare shots. If he doesn't see an opening, he won't shoot. If he shoots, the puck hits the net, that's as simple as that. He is probably, the best one I have seen in a long time to get the puck to the net. It doesn't deflect on a stick, doesn't hit pads or skates, it just goes to the net. Quite different from guys like Komisarek who could not get his shot past the defensemen. Good riddance!

Sigh, I don't want to rag on Halak, but he should have had the first goal and got beat pretty good on the second.

Didn't see the game, only the replays. Halak did not play well. Time to switch to Price for awhile. He did appear great in that Tampa game.

Didn't see the game, only the replays. Halak did not play well. Time to switch to Price for awhile. He did appear great in that Tampa game.

This is exactly why I'm not in favor of moving Halak at this time. With young goalies, you are going to have inconsistencies and you have to have an alternative when they falter to keep them sharp. Look how long it was before Roy got true minutes of a #1 goalie. Hayward played a lot more then a #2 would, bcoz Roy still needed time to grow. In an ideal situation you would have a solid backup for Halak or Price (whoever the habs go with), to help them along when they need help. The habs don't have anyone in their system that can play that role (and now, I can't see Stanford playing that role, he may be able to play the minutes, but seriously can he mentor Halak/price when they are struggling??

Halak and Price are both RFA's. i see keep them both until at least the trade deadline to get into the playoffs. If you move someone before then, you have to pick up a vetern like a Biron or Roloson and that is going to cost an asset in return. As long as they are both treated fairly going forward and they aren't in a situation like last year where Price kept on getting starts regardless how he played becoz he is a "thoroughbred", I think Halak would be willing to settle for whatever he can get in arbitration.

This is exactly why I'm not in favor of moving Halak at this time. With young goalies, you are going to have inconsistencies and you have to have an alternative when they falter to keep them sharp. Look how long it was before Roy got true minutes of a #1 goalie. Hayward played a lot more then a #2 would, bcoz Roy still needed time to grow. In an ideal situation you would have a solid backup for Halak or Price (whoever the habs go with), to help them along when they need help. The habs don't have anyone in their system that can play that role (and now, I can't see Stanford playing that role, he may be able to play the minutes, but seriously can he mentor Halak/price when they are struggling??

Halak and Price are both RFA's. i see keep them both until at least the trade deadline to get into the playoffs. If you move someone before then, you have to pick up a vetern like a Biron or Roloson and that is going to cost an asset in return. As long as they are both treated fairly going forward and they aren't in a situation like last year where Price kept on getting starts regardless how he played becoz he is a "thoroughbred", I think Halak would be willing to settle for whatever he can get in arbitration.

My point exactly, but this depends on playing time being allocated *fairly.* I also think that the presence of the "other guy" makes them play better. It pushes them because they both want to play.

At least Halak has to admit he is being given a chance now. About the kostitsyns, hasnt their mother moved to montreal as well? I mean, will they really run of to KHL just like that?