What needs to happen in 2010 for us to be a contender.

REV-G

It's not about negativity or depression. It's what could happen to make this team a contender.

A contender team usually doesn't fight for a playoff spot at game 82.

This team usually has an identity, really stick together good time and most of all when it gets

tough, they find a way to win.

Nobody has doubts in this league that they can win a game against the Habs on the road or at home.

So the only thing that could change this low in the middle team into a contender is a true top prospect.

Give the best young players the chance to find their scoring touch in the AHL. Paccioretti and D'Agostini.

Fire Gainey and Timmins before trade deadline. Dump Spacek, Laraque, Metropolit, Bergeron for draft picks.

Trade the Kots before they move to KHL. Sign Plekanek.

Hire Patrick Roy as GM, Guy Boucher as coach and André Savard as pro scout.

Trade up to get Hall.

I beg to differ. I think the Islanders are quite afraid of us!

Patrick Roy as GM? You realy want another inexperianced GM, let alone a looney tune one?

Savard may take the GM job, not the scout one.

Now add in yet another inexperianced coach?

Holy crap, you are challenging the other guy for bad post of the month now.

Drop 4 guys for draft picks and dress who?

Trade who and what to get Hall? You think someone will trade him,lmao!!!!!!

Pass that joint over here cat!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. I thought about counter-attacking, but honestly, I'm sick and tired of all the hysterical negativity and outright rage that explodes after every single loss. It's ridiculous, and trying to stem the tide is futile, so why bother.

In what world would you live in that suggests this years Habs team could possibility get past the first round, we are now tied for 10th. spot looking very much at being tied for 13th. in our own conference and overall at 22nd. clearly looking at finishing at 25th. or 26th. If you are believer in miracles then I understand your position. Even getting into the draft lottery does not guarantee a 1-4 pick or that your pick will be NHL ready to play.

Should Gainey not change this team, then why should anyone expect a different result in 10/11. The fact is, given the financial management of this team 09/10, Gainey has no choice but to make changes or lose cap space next season or again lose key players for nothing in the UFA. Any trade now at least suggests some hope for 10/11. Trade is the best way to give any hope of a better team.

Many believe that throwing our failures at other GM’s will bring back in return their best. One has to give up some of it’s best to get better ,like it or not. . . win-win.

In what world would you live in that suggests this years Habs team could possibility get past the first round, we are now tied for 10th. spot looking very much at being tied for 13th. in our own conference and overall at 22nd. clearly looking at finishing at 25th. or 26th. If you are believer in miracles then I understand your position. Even getting into the draft lottery does not guarantee a 1-4 pick or that your pick will be NHL ready to play.

Should Gainey not change this team, then why should anyone expect a different result in 10/11. The fact is, given the financial management of this team 09/10, Gainey has no choice but to make changes or lose cap space next season or again lose key players for nothing in the UFA. Any trade now at least suggests some hope for 10/11. Trade is the best way to give any hope of a better team.

Many believe that throwing our failures at other GM's will bring back in return their best. One has to give up some of it's best to get better ,like it or not. . . win-win.

Um, hate to break it to you, but we are 4pnts out of 6th with alot of hockey left to be played. A cup is only half empty if you don't consider it half full.Everybody new this would be a down to the wire season for us in regards to making the playoffs. If I could I would give almost everyone who has posted on here in the last few days a bottle of valium. :puke:

Patrick Roy as GM? You realy want another inexperianced GM, let alone a looney tune one?

The Isles are ahead of Habs with 1 game in hand and Tavares in the line up.

Patrick Roy is no looney tune, he's been able to have a competitive line up year after year

both as GM and coach, won the Memorial Cup, is respected by his players because he cares

about them and they follow his lead because he want to WIN all the time.

Serge Savard is too old for all of this.

IQ and talent make up for a lot of experience for Boucher.

Drop 4 gyus that are totally useless for most games and for the future of this team, to get

low draft picks.

Dress who ? Pyatt, White, Stewart, Henry, Russel, Darche. Jersey fillers with attitude.

Trade both Kost and our draft pick to Oilers for theirs + Brulé to have a chance to get Hall, they will leave to KHL it's written.

I'd pass it but i think it'S too smooth for you i only smoke natural.

The Isles are ahead of Habs with 1 game in hand and Tavares in the line up.

Patrick Roy is no looney tune, he's been able to have a competitive line up year after year

both as GM and coach, won the Memorial Cup, is respected by his players because he cares

about them and they follow his lead because he want to WIN all the time.

Serge Savard is too old for all of this.

IQ and talent make up for a lot of experience for Boucher.

Drop 4 gyus that are totally useless for most games and for the future of this team, to get

low draft picks.

Dress who ? Pyatt, White, Stewart, Henry, Russel, Darche. Jersey fillers with attitude.

Trade both Kost and our draft pick to Oilers for theirs + Brulé to have a chance to get Hall, they will leave to KHL it's written.

I'd pass it but i think it'S too smooth for you i only smoke natural.

SO the oilers would give up a chance for a top pick and Brule for 2 guys who "it is written" will leave for the KHL? They must be fools.

I know Boucher is a good coach, but we have had too many rookie coaches of late. Also, the NHL is a long way from the QMJHA. Just because Roy has had success there means very little to the world which is the NHL. Maybe that is why nobody has offered him a job yet?

Go back to your computer game. First off, St Louis would not consider moving either of those two assets. Maybe on your x-box or whatever you kids play now you can get anyone you want by offering tons in return but not in the real world. It doesn't happen! Secondly, why would we trade away the best defensive prospect we have had in longer than I can remember. PK is the best defenceman in the AHL in his first year! He will very likely be as good or better than Johnson and costs us nothing, let alone one of the top young goaltenders in the NHL. Pleks is a better player than Vermette you would throw AK in with him? Ak is one of our few top 6 forwards incase you didn't know. You get my bad post of the month award! Remarkable considering the other foolishness i have read in the last couple weeks. :puke: :puke: :puke: On another note, St Louis has Conklin and Mason, why would they want Price? Hammer and SK? If you were StLouis, would you take those guys to replace your top young forward and D-man, just to get a prospect goalie you don't really need? I think not! It takes to sides that are both happy to make a trade, St Louis isn't run by a Dual-core Pentium last I checked.

First of all I just turned 76 and confined to my one room apt. I promise you, I spend days if not weeks to research my trades ( and other peoples suggestions ) very carefully . I follow three teams as well as, the Habs and don’t need, or have the money to use a computerized game. Also I’m opened minded enough to see and accept all opinions regardless if I agree or not.

However, you may be right relative to St.Louis moving these assets. Thus offering the premium was my choice. I find it hard too accept, knowing full well we can’t pay Plekanec the money he will want somewhere at $4.5+ million. Vermette is signed for 5years at $3.750. million and would be a acceptable replacement if for nothing else, better financial management.

Vermette; 14 goals, 22 assists for a total 36 with a 53.9 % in face offs on 904 total FO’s

Plekanec; 10 goals 47 assists for a total 46 with a 47.1% in face offs on 978 total FO’s

“He will very likely be as good or better than Johnson” There we go again, absolute belief in what might be rather than accepting the NHL accomplishments as the best value.

Last but not least, St.Louis is in desperate need to acquire a starting goaltender, Conklin was the subject of many trade rumors this season so Price might be use as Bait to get Perron and Johnson.

I won’t get to a level that would have me rate your response,do your homework young man

cheers have good day

Edited by v-hab

Do your home work old timer.

Johnson has been sent to the pressbox of late, because he isn't living up to his potential!

Is that what you call, accepting the accomplishment? He has done jack honestly but be a potential top d-man.

Last 9 games, no points, plus 1 (which is worse than Bergeron) He had a great start this year but then became lazy. Great, we need more like that. He has great potential to be a top notch d-man for sure, but that is still all he has.

Price and Mason are both young goalies with great potential and lots to learn. I think they want an experianced starter for Conklin but I may be mistaken.

There is no such thing as homework old man. It is just common sense that no team will give you a talent for a flop.

LMAO again at the young man comment, you must be pretty new around here. I am quite old myself. I actually remember when Toronto had a hockey team!

Anyhow, I will leave you to your own thoughts, as stupid as I find them. I know enough about how hockey works to know that a bag of pucks doesn't get you a talented player, and 3 bags doesn't either. Also no team will give up a top 5 pick unless it is Toronto and they are all out of them.

You make some good points here in response to a pretty far-fetched post. However, IF the objective is to 'contend in 2010,' some radical, crazy thinking might be required, an all-or-nothing gamble of some kind. I'd still be against such a gamble because the likelihood of franchise-decimating catastrophe is immense. I don't think it does any good to blow up the entire organization in a desperate lunge to win win 2010. I saw how that principle worked out in 1995.

The fact is, the Gainey era was designed to produce a contender in 2009. On paper, that should have succeeded. The team last year was stacked - on paper. 2008-09 was *always* going to be a transitional step no matter what happened. Because the 2009 core was so old and disappointed so dramatically, Bob implemented a more profound change than expected. But I don't think it follows that we should demand A CONTENDER IN 2010. Indeed, had 2009 worked out, we probably wouldn't be demanding this; we'd accept the necessity of a brief retooling period. That 2009 failed does not therefore mean that we should firebomb the entire organization.

In fact I don't think we have a realistic chance of 'contending' in 2010. If this team remains intact and 100% healthy, it has a chance to be one of those Cinderella teams, but no more. In that sense I reject the premise of the thread.

So how and when can the Habs contend again? Look at it this way. In two years, MaxPac could be coming into his own as a top-6 forward. Pouilot could be an established 30-goal man. Subban could have significant NHL experience under his belt and be starting to assert himself. Lapierre could be back to form as a highly effective checking C, supported by emerging Pyatt or whomever. Andrei Kostitsyn could have achieved some consistency and his brother could have solidified his NHL identity as an unusually dangerous depth player. Price could have taken that next step. If Gomez, Markov, Plekanec, Gionta countine to play at their current level, and if we have Hammer or a Hammer replacement playing up to current standard, that would be a damned difficult team to beat.

Of course it won't happen that smoothly. Pleks probably won't be here, not all those players will produce at the necessary level, etc.. Gainey has to make judicious decisions in response. My point is that this is how it can happen: a solid core enhanced by emerging, well-developed and supported young players. We are NOT an expansion team starting from scratch and turning us into one won't help.

SO the oilers would give up a chance for a top pick and Brule for 2 guys who "it is written" will leave for the KHL? They must be fools.

I know Boucher is a good coach, but we have had too many rookie coaches of late. Also, the NHL is a long way from the QMJHA. Just because Roy has had success there means very little to the world which is the NHL. Maybe that is why nobody has offered him a job yet?

There was a switch of first rounder too and the Habs pick will be very interesting as it goes. Edmonton must have interest in a top D prospect.

It's their biggest flaw. I said both Kost but it could be a goalie and a winger.

Roy was offered the job in Colorado and refused. He wants the big show in Montreal. And building a winning team every year with players moving every 3 years,

switching round picks making trades. It's way more than a regular GM does.

And for the coach i only believe in one thing winning, learn them how to win and they'll want more. LEarn them a system and they'll forget their heart and desire.

There was a switch of first rounder too and the Habs pick will be very interesting as it goes. Edmonton must have interest in a top D prospect.

It's their biggest flaw. I said both Kost but it could be a goalie and a winger.

Roy was offered the job in Colorado and refused. He wants the big show in Montreal. And building a winning team every year with players moving every 3 years,

switching round picks making trades. It's way more than a regular GM does.

And for the coach i only believe in one thing winning, learn them how to win and they'll want more. LEarn them a system and they'll forget their heart and desire.

Wasn't it just last year that people on here wanted Carbo gone because he didn't have a system?

Also note we also have the same defenseman problem they do..

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Do your home work old timer.

Johnson has been sent to the pressbox of late, because he isn't living up to his potential!

Is that what you call, accepting the accomplishment? He has done jack honestly but be a potential top d-man.

Last 9 games, no points, plus 1 (which is worse than Bergeron) He had a great start this year but then became lazy. Great, we need more like that. He has great potential to be a top notch d-man for sure, but that is still all he has.

Price and Mason are both young goalies with great potential and lots to learn. I think they want an experianced starter for Conklin but I may be mistaken.

There is no such thing as homework old man. It is just common sense that no team will give you a talent for a flop.

LMAO again at the young man comment, you must be pretty new around here. I am quite old myself. I actually remember when Toronto had a hockey team!

Anyhow, I will leave you to your own thoughts, as stupid as I find them. I know enough about how hockey works to know that a bag of pucks doesn't get you a talented player, and 3 bags doesn't either. Also no team will give up a top 5 pick unless it is Toronto and they are all out of them.

Nice try . . .again DO YOUR HOMEWORK !!!! Do you just sit around and make up stuff to suit your posts???

Erik Johnson has played 47 games, The team has played 48 He sat out earlier in the year (around the 25 game mark) and another correction, he has 1 point in his last 2 games for a total of 23 points.

4 goals and 19 assists almost half-a - point a game not too bad for a 21 year old.

"There is no such thing as homework old man. It is just common sense" really try using some.

We are closing in on 20 years of crap.

20 years...

Gainey fired a coach then fired much of the team then rebuilt it with the same type of players and hired a coach with a hockey mentality contrary to the players assets and we still fail in the same ways that we always have failed at.

At what point is it acceptable to stand up and say, "no more", without being labeled a bandwangoner or something similar?

This is unacceptable.

I don't see the need to trade for Johnson...Perron would be nice...just package up Halak (and if necessary a prospect and/or picks) for him.

BTH: Obviously you are not a numbers man. The chances of the Canadiens making the play-offs is very bleak. I really don't know how long ago that the Canadiens played at .630% clip for over 30 games. They haven't been very good for a long time. The Canadiens will not make the play-off as presently constructed. You bet the farm on it.

Their chances are as good as the 6-7 teams they're fighting with.

Last week we were 8th, this week we're 10th, maybe next week we'll be 7th and then two weeks from then back in 11th. That's how the playoff race goes mid-way through the season. It's like this in both conferences every single season...

If you factor in the uncommon amount of key injuries we had in the first half, we're probably in the 5-6 range in the East. There's definitely reason to believe (or hope) we could finish the season ahead of teams like Ottawa, NYI, Florida, Atlanta and Tampa Bay who are worse teams than us on paper.

Really, guys... this is common sense. Using the number .630 is useless if you're going to use it as an alternative for common sense.

I like all the common sense talk.

You can hypothesize anything you want, but we need to finish with more points than 7 teams in the east. In that race, we're very near the top. A couple games here and there can change the entire standings.

Eastern

Rank Team GP W L OT PTS GF GA Home Away Last 10 Streak

1 Buffalo 47 30 11 6 66 134 108 16-5-5 14-6-1 8-0-2 Won 1

2 Washingto 48 30 12 6 66 182 136 16-3-3 14-9-3 6-4-0 Won 3

3 New Jerse 47 32 14 1 65 131 105 16-7-0 16-7-1 5-5-0 Lost 3

4 Pittsburgh 50 30 19 1 61 157 139 14-8-1 16-11-0 4-6-0 Lost 1

5 Boston 48 23 17 8 54 123 121 13-9-3 10-8-5 4-5-1 Lost 1

6 Ottawa 50 25 21 4 54 138 150 16-8-3 9-13-1 5-5-0 Won 3

7 NY Ranger 49 23 19 7 53 127 131 11-11-4 12-8-3 5-2-3 Won 1

8 NY Islande 49 22 19 8 52 131 146 13-8-2 9-11-6 7-2-1 Won 4

9 Florida 49 21 20 8 50 141 149 9-8-6 12-12-2 5-4-1 Won 3

10 Montreal 50 23 23 4 50 128 139 11-11-3 12-12-1 4-5-1 Lost 2

11 Philadelphi 47 23 21 3 49 143 137 12-9-2 11-12-1 6-3-1 Lost 2

12 Atlanta 48 21 20 7 49 149 156 10-8-4 11-12-3 3-4-3 Lost 1

13 Tampa Ba 48 19 19 10 48 125 146 11-6-5 8-13-5 5-4-1 Won 1

14 Toronto 50 17 24 9 43 134 173 9-10-5 8-14-4 3-7-0 Won 1

15 Carolina 48 14 27 7 35 120 165 10-12-3 4-15-4 5-5-0 Lost 3

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306832

"The club called up forward Mathieu Darche later in the day.

Even with a re-shuffled lineup, the Canadiens have their work cut out for them after tallying just 50 points in their first 50 games. Since the end of the NHL lockout, no team has clinched a playoff spot with less than 92 - making the task of earning 42 points in 32 games daunting to say the least. "

They've gotta start winning. This roster in the playoffs is good enough for me. 42 points in 32 games can be done.

Edited by Natural Mystic

We are closing in on 20 years of crap.

20 years...

Gainey fired a coach then fired much of the team then rebuilt it with the same type of players and hired a coach with a hockey mentality contrary to the players assets and we still fail in the same ways that we always have failed at.

At what point is it acceptable to stand up and say, "no more", without being labeled a bandwangoner or something similar?

This is unacceptable.

'20 years of crap' is irrelevant to what we should do NOW. Decision-making for the present and future cannot be informed by these overwrought considerations about the past. If we fire Bob and the new GM comes in and screams "20 YEARS OF CRAP!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!! NO MORE!!!!" at the top of his lungs for an hour at the press conference that will have no bearing on the quality of his subsequent decisions.

I'm not hearing any response to my hypothetical account of how the Habs might be contenders in 2-3 years, either. I guess those thoughts were either patently ridiculous, or insufficiently hysterically negative... :rolleyes:

'20 years of crap' is irrelevant to what we should do NOW. Decision-making for the present and future cannot be informed by these overwrought considerations about the past. If we fire Bob and the new GM comes in and screams "20 YEARS OF CRAP!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!! NO MORE!!!!" at the top of his lungs for an hour at the press conference that will have no bearing on the quality of his subsequent decisions.

I'm not hearing any response to my hypothetical account of how the Habs might be contenders in 2-3 years, either. I guess those thoughts were either patently ridiculous, or insufficiently hysterically negative... :rolleyes:

My post was just an act of frustration (not over the two weekend losses either). I feel like we are drifting and are cap bound and unable to do anything about it. Our hopes are on miracle progression by our prospects.

You always make good points Cucumber but your plan relies on a lot of "could".

The habs should really send MaxPax to the minors and try to pickup Sykora.

Get Maxpax under a developing coach and see if Sykora can fill in for AK46.