What needs to happen in 2010 for us to be a contender.

REV-G

Cukes plan relies on alot of "coulds" for sure. But so does trading and bringing in other players. We "could" do as a few mention fire Gainey and trade for other players. The next GM "could" make a trade that we all hated and cost us another 5 years of mediocrity while the players we traded away "could" become stars after the trade. We "could" give away a future star and get a currrent star who "could" fall head first into the endboards and finish his career with out finishing his first game in the tricolor.

Big word that "could".

Here is mine. The team "could" go on a 12 game winning streak starting tonight!

Our goalies "could" have a combined 1.87 GAA during that run.

It is a easy word to use.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'20 years of crap' is irrelevant to what we should do NOW. Decision-making for the present and future cannot be informed by these overwrought considerations about the past. If we fire Bob and the new GM comes in and screams "20 YEARS OF CRAP!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!! NO MORE!!!!" at the top of his lungs for an hour at the press conference that will have no bearing on the quality of his subsequent decisions.

I'm not hearing any response to my hypothetical account of how the Habs might be contenders in 2-3 years, either. I guess those thoughts were either patently ridiculous, or insufficiently hysterically negative... :rolleyes:

obama8.jpg

Starting tonight important game, the Blues are ahead of Habs for the bottom of the standings.

The bottom 6.

Tampa Bay and Colombus spot are the next targets.

Remember the game plan turnovers, don't win your battles along the boards and don't hit.

Actually .630 % is what I projected the Canadiens would have to play to wind up with 93 points which would be enough to guarantee last play off spot. Judging from the last couple of years in this conference, if memory serves me , 93 pts. has been the jump off point. Even if the Habs end up with 90 pts they would have to play over .600%, and I don't believe that gets them in playoffs. Incidently there are only six teams in the whole league that are playing at the .630 clip or better (as of yesterday) and the Habs still have games with some of them.

This whole .630 clip is just projection nonsense. "What happened in the past." It's a guide, nothing more. What matters is where the Habs are in the standings today, and where they'll be tomorrow. There's no magical number for success; maybe this season 89 points will make it; maybe all the fighting teams will go on super hot streaks and 98 points makes it. The point is that dismissing the team because it can't go .630 (or some other mythical number) is silly.

If the Habs had taken two lousy points this weekend, they'd be in a tie for 8th in the conference. That's two OT losses if you want to look at it that way. Things can change every night it's so close, so panic talk about mythical numbers is pointless.

Philly and Boston have played two less games. Everyone else has either played only one less or have played the same number. So really, there's *nothin* in this race.

In the end, the division is so tight that a winning streak for us and losing streak for others could take us to 5th, and the reverse to 13th - all in less than a week. What matters is StL tonight. That's it. C'est tout. There is no more.

Don't they have like 7 or 8 regulation wins? The overtime and extra points is what has saved there bacon along with golatending.

Without those overtime points we would be discussing Hall or Segiun. I go with Seguin, i beleive he is a center and could move into Pleks spot.

My argument about us becoming contenders within 2-3 years is of course optimistic, but the point is in essence a simple one: even now the team has significant young players (both Kostitysns, Pacioretty, Price, Lapierre) with a realistic chance of becoming impact players within that span. Look at how much better we looked when just Andrei Kostitsyn found his game. Add to our present core an improved MaxPac as a top-6 forward, an improved Laps to give us a crushing third line C, and a blossoming AK 47; with these developments alone you've got a team that's probably good for several additional wins. The underlying fact is that there really isn't that much separating stronger and weaker teams in this league these days. The blossoming of even a couple of these young guys would make a huge difference.

Is this a guarantee? Of course not. All I'm trying to suggest is that standing pat (more or less) with the present core and anticipating an increasing impact from 2-3 key young players within the next couple of years is just as likely to make a contender of us as firing Gainey and blowing up the organization. Contrary to popular belief, we do HAVE a foundation: Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, and Markov are quality young veterans. But due to cap issues the extra step *has* to come from within.

I just don't see that it's wildly unlikely that that can happen. Optimistic? Of course. Delusional lunacy? No.

The fact that M-A Bergeron and Ryan O'Byrne (yes, you read it right!!) are playing as forwards tonight, should tell everyone that this team doesn't have the players necessary to be a serious contender. We'll either finish 7th or 8th or miss the playoffs!

The fact that M-A Bergeron and Ryan O'Byrne (yes, you read it right!!) are playing as forwards tonight, should tell everyone that this team doesn't have the players necessary to be a serious contender. We'll either finish 7th or 8th or miss the playoffs!

Bah, Bergeron should've been tried out at forward a while ago...

My argument about us becoming contenders within 2-3 years is of course optimistic, but the point is in essence a simple one: even now the team has significant young players (both Kostitysns, Pacioretty, Price, Lapierre) with a realistic chance of becoming impact players within that span. Look at how much better we looked when just Andrei Kostitsyn found his game. Add to our present core an improved MaxPac as a top-6 forward, an improved Laps to give us a crushing third line C, and a blossoming AK 47; with these developments alone you've got a team that's probably good for several additional wins. The underlying fact is that there really isn't that much separating stronger and weaker teams in this league these days. The blossoming of even a couple of these young guys would make a huge difference.

Is this a guarantee? Of course not. All I'm trying to suggest is that standing pat (more or less) with the present core and anticipating an increasing impact from 2-3 key young players within the next couple of years is just as likely to make a contender of us as firing Gainey and blowing up the organization. Contrary to popular belief, we do HAVE a foundation: Gomez, Gionta, Cammy, and Markov are quality young veterans. But due to cap issues the extra step *has* to come from within.

I just don't see that it's wildly unlikely that that can happen. Optimistic? Of course. Delusional lunacy? No.

I'm happy you included Lapierre in that list. As his boyfriend got a fresh start in Minni, I'd like to see Lapierre get a fresh start on one of our top lines. Mix in some PP time, something to get him going.

Claim Sykora off the waiver wire.

And trade for Komisarek. Hahaha. I've been trying to think about who we actually lost for our D to look so pathetic this year. Komi is the only good righty that's out of the equation.

Gva

Stop giving the puck away. Follow the link and hit the GVA button. Hammer and Spacek 1 & 2 in the league in giveaways...Hal Gill in 6th and Josh Gorges in 13th!

Edited by BCHabnut

Bergeron has been playing forward for weeks now.

Sorry, I meant prior to this season even...

We most certainly do have a good foundation and I think we'd be insane to think of looking for a new GM. That's jsut nuts. Two years ago he did an excellent job of putting us strongly in contention for a great run when injuries decimated the team. Ne did all the right things and had the cojones to rejig the team in a major way this year. Thank God for uncle Bob! Anybody seen Toronto lately?

It's never too late to become a Blackhawks fan... in HWL at least. Cup Champions and smart GM to boot. :P

To my defense, they have the best looking jersey in the NHL (although the Red Wings uni is great too) ^_^

Cammy and Laps get into it at practice. Not sure what it means if anything, but consdering this is the 2nd time Cammy has been involved in something like this, I like to think he's putting his foot down on players who need it. Give him the C! :lol:

Heh, we want our captain to fight his teammates now? I don't think Iginla even scraps with his teammates in practice!

Lapierre will be next after Laraque.

Pretty soon ALL the players that were here last year will be gone. It kind of makes you wonder what the heck is going on and why they were always fighting for an 8 seed.