Game Thread - Habs vs. Caps

Fanpuck33

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think that this team doesn't have enough bona-fide talent, especially up front. Think about it - we're all bemoaning the absence of the Kostitsyns. And I agree that with a full roster we're probably a pretty solid team. But it's a sign of a thin lineup when you're really relying on these erratic basket cases. We don't have anybody on the bottom 6, except maybe Metropolit, who has shown themselves capable of stepping up and putting top-6 minutes to good use. We need that depth.

I just think that this team doesn't have enough bona-fide talent, especially up front. Think about it - we're all bemoaning the absence of the Kostitsyns. And I agree that with a full roster we're probably a pretty solid team. But it's a sign of a thin lineup when you're really relying on these erratic basket cases. We don't have anybody on the bottom 6, except maybe Metropolit, who has shown themselves capable of stepping up and putting top-6 minutes to good use. We need that depth.

On top of that Martin keeps dressing big George LaUseless. Anyone know why White isn't being recalled. Hell, you could dress that Desharnais kid and even though he's what, 1/4 of LaUseless's size, he would add much more to the team then LaUseless does. Anyone know what the habs record is with LaUseless in the lineup?? I'm guessing it's probably much worse then when his vegge butt is in the pressbox.

I also think that if the habs want to make the playoffs, they gotta keep Halak. Martin needs to go with win and you play, lose and we rotate. The team just doesn't seem to score with Price in the lineup.

I also think that if the habs want to make the playoffs, they gotta keep Halak. Martin needs to go with win and you play, lose and we rotate. The team just doesn't seem to score with Price in the lineup.

I don't think Halak will be enough to make the playoffs.

The return on Halak + could do it though...

I don't think Halak will be enough to make the playoffs.

The return on Halak + could do it though...

Have to wonder what the return on Price would be.

Nobody in the organization is. Take that to the bank.

You saw what happened to all the banks last year. Crisis, collapse. I'm not saying this loss was on Price's shoulders, but I'm frankly getting un peu tanne when he looks so nonchalant. I have a theory: the team plays harder for Halak because they have more confidence in him because he looks like he's working his ass off and he cares.

Here's something you can take to the Caisse Populaire: I think management has at least off-handedly given thought to moving Price. It may not be serious thought yet, but let's be honest here, Halak is winning games. I still think Price may very well be the better goalie, but sometimes attitude has to be considered in the equation.

You saw what happened to all the banks last year. Crisis, collapse. I'm not saying this loss was on Price's shoulders, but I'm frankly getting un peu tanne when he looks so nonchalant. I have a theory: the team plays harder for Halak because they have more confidence in him because he looks like he's working his ass off and he cares.

Here's something you can take to the Caisse Populaire: I think management has at least off-handedly given thought to moving Price. It may not be serious thought yet, but let's be honest here, Halak is winning games. I still think Price may very well be the better goalie, but sometimes attitude has to be considered in the equation.

anyone remember another world junior star, can't miss superstar goalie that was taken ahead of Marty Brodeur?

Guy named Trevor Kidd. Not saying Price is going to be another Kidd.

But really, I think the habs need to be careful with which goalie they choose. That's why I'd rather let the hot hand run with it until at least to the trade deadline.

Who knows, Price may put it together like other high 1st round picks like Fleury and Loungo. High draft goalies do tend to take longer to develop then position players taken high in the draft. Price is younger then Halak. On the other hand Halak could turn out to be a steal like Hasek. i think we need to give them more time before making rash decisions in favor of each.

Next game, I wanna see Halak in goal and I want to see a win and your in, lose and your out coaching mentality. put some pressure on the goalies with winning driving playing time decisions and see who handles the pressure better.

Both are RFA's this summer, not UFA's and while Halak did ask to be traded, even Gainey clarified he wants more of an oppertunity to be the starter. He seems to be a solid team guy, so I don't think as long as he gets a real chance to take hold of the #1 spot, he is going to run off to the KHL as some here have suggested.

If he was dealing with the same situation as he faced under Gainey, where it was price the "throroughbred" is playing win lose or lose, then yeah, he may bolt, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Two parting points.

First off, with the cap situation that Gainey has put us into, it will probably be cheaper to sign Halak to a longer term contract then it will be with Price.

Lastly, Halak on his own is not going to net the habs a Carter caliber player. Price just might.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

If you say so Colin. Come next year, if not sooner, Halak's gonzo. I think they've both got bright futures, and like em both. I'm excited about what a package of players with Halak can bring.

If you say so Colin. Come next year, if not sooner, Halak's gonzo. I think they've both got bright futures, and like em both. I'm excited about what a package of players with Halak can bring.

Halak on his own will NOT bring us a package of players. Unless we are talking mid-level prospects. Price may bring us a can't miss player.

But I agree that as long as Gainey is GM, Halak is probably gonzo, becoz, he isn't about to admit he made a mistake in sticking with Price regardless of what effect it had on the team and keeping Price is the safer move to make.

I suspect you're right - if for no other reason than the Great Hope placed on Price's shoulders as franchise saviour when he was Gainey's special pick at 5OA. I'm not sure the Habs can lose either way. I can see Price's return being a lot higher, though, based on assumed potential. I certainly believe his style is more conducive to a successful career than is that of Halak. That said, attitude and work ethic. And as much as Gainey has his hopes (read: GM job?) pinned on Price, I can't believe he's a stupid man, and so must necessarily at least consider all his options before making a decision.

Someone mentioned something about Price's behaviour, and they may just be on to something. A couple of times tonight after Washington goals, Price sort of threw up his hands and shrugged as if to say "what the f***?? Not my fault!!", after his teammates partially screened or accidentally tipped some shots. They may not be the most skilled bunch of defencemen in the world, but they're trying and they aren't doing those things on purpose to make Price's job harder. They can't be too thrilled with Price constantly demeaning them like that (...he always does these gestures - at least one per game, I've seen).

It's possible the reason that not many goals are scored while Price is in nets could simply be that Price's teammates don't really like him that much and don't play with much enthusiasm in front of him. I've never seen Halak making such gestures to his defence corps.

Just an observation... I could be way off.

Someone mentioned something about Price's behaviour, and they may just be on to something. A couple of times tonight after Washington goals, Price sort of threw up his hands and shrugged as if to say "what the f***?? Not my fault!!", after his teammates partially screened or accidentally tipped some shots. They may not be the most skilled bunch of defencemen in the world, but they're trying and they aren't doing those things on purpose to make Price's job harder. They can't be too thrilled with Price constantly demeaning them like that (...he always does these gestures - at least one per game, I've seen).

It's possible the reason that not many goals are scored while Price is in nets could simply be that Price's teammates don't really like him that much and don't play with much enthusiasm in front of him. I've never seen Halak making such gestures to his defence corps.

ROFL.

I've been saying the exact same for over a year now. Price has some Theodore in him.  

Habs lose...

Canada loses...

Ugh. A day to forget.

Habs lose...

Canada loses...

HWL NYI loses...

Back to work after Christmas holliday...

Ugh. Mine was worse.

Halak on his own will NOT bring us a package of players. Unless we are talking mid-level prospects. Price may bring us a can't miss player.

But I agree that as long as Gainey is GM, Halak is probably gonzo, becoz, he isn't about to admit he made a mistake in sticking with Price regardless of what effect it had on the team and keeping Price is the safer move to make.

I meant a package, as in Halak and others players. Halak alone get's you a draft pick, in my opinion.

Yep, I think so too. A bit of an elitist attitude.

It's the Messiah Syndrome. Goalie is pushed to the Moon by some medias, the Habs organization and the Marketing department. Guy believes his own hype, guy gets the big head, guy loses mental balance, guy runs into trouble, guy doesnt have the mental fortitude to look in the mirror so guy blames everybody else in the room. 

Price is Jell-O between the ears. I'm less and less convinced he will reach that elite status. Yes, he has the size, speed and talent to be dominant. But an elite, franchise goalie does it 24/7, season after season. It's about professionalism, work ethic, mental strength. Not sure Price has it. 

Price is Jell-O between the ears.

Having seen Price at a Montreal club last year, i can confirm that he is Jell-O between the ears. :lol:

Josh Gorges too for that matter.. especially when he's drunk lol.

Ahhh but they're my Habs so i love 'em. GHG :hlogo: Can we get back to winning games please? All of the pieces are there, everybody's healthy.. come on. I predict a 5-game winning streak!

Edited by Cataclaw

dude roy used to absolutely rip his D.

Story of the game is simple, the D corp gave the blue line all night long and back up

further like every player was Ovechkin.

Try to take back the puck and then change lines.

The hits have to be at the blue line, not letting opposition in the zone freely.

I am sooo sick of the cycle AWAY from the net. Most teams that score goals cycle towards the net. The habs do not have the size to cycle away from the net. They need to start shooting, shoot from everywheres. They look for the perfect play and when they get it, Cammy usually fans on it. I like cammy, but he needs to step it up.

Price didn't play his best last night, but foolish people will claim he was the reason for the loss. Goalies continue to be least of the worries for this team, terrible d-zone playing. They panic with the puck, which is not good news for a 'puck possession' team. The constant short shifts, the giving up at the other teams blue line while they change is frustrating. Another thing, so many times you'll have three habs forwards behind the goal line in the O zone, then the puck gets passed to the front of the net and there's no one there to bank it in.

I'm really leaning to Martin the wrong coach for this job.

Well this team is getting tough to watch. Martin's "defensive system" which by the way gets outshot 2 to 1 on most nights doesn't really fit the players he has.

It's official, i feel like a Panther fan now, Did Martin ever have a winning record in Florida? make the playoffs?

Turnovers galore: Check

Defense zone pathetic: Check

Dumb penalties: Check

No offense: Check

Outshot almost 2:1: Check

Blame Price: Check

Since i boldly predicted KNOW ONE was coming back last year my next bold prediction will be if they are still 500 by the end of January Martin and staff, BG and Timmins are all gone. The new owner ship didn't pick this crew and being a 500 team and fighting for an 8 seed isn't what they want i'm assuming.

All 80 points gets you is a pick not high enough to help the team immediately, and you don't make the playoffs.

I like the players acquired in the off season, not the coach or system. I'm guessing the Devils don't get outshot 2 to 1 every night and expect Broduer to shut everyone out.