I'm a little surpised with Pouliot!

REV-G

I know it's only been, what, a week and a half? But I'd like to know what you think about Pouliot so far. He's not a rookie so hopefully what we're seeing is the real him. Personally, I've been surprised. Knowing that he had been a highly touted 1st round pick, but then had not done very well in his first few years in the NHL, and ended up getting dumped for Latendresse, I was hoping for maybe a rebirth, but with expectations not too high. I don't know about you but I've been really impressed and pleased with what he's showing us.

He seems fast, good control of the puck, very good puck sense, and the guy can shoot. He seems to fit like a glove with Gomez and Gionta. I've seen him hit a few people and doesn't seem afraid to get involved. So, this early in the trade, I think we've come out way ahead as he seems to have more talent and ability than Latendresse ever did. The key now is for him to be consistent. We might have stolen one here!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to Guillaume he's played very little NHL hockey.

Guillaume 249GP, Pouliot 71GP.

Pouliot doesn't even have a full season under his belt. I think with experience this guy has all the tools to be good. IMO

To compare him with Guillaume's production in Minnesota already is very premature... so what Latendresse has 7 points in 17 games. Good for him. I think we will be better off without him and his attitude in hearing the comments he made on his way on his way out the door. Not to say that I wish him well.

Pouliot is doing what the coach wants him to do... from Jacque Martin's press conferences I listen to. Gomez and Gionta both love his speed and creating space for them on the ice... again from the press conferences I listen to post game.

I think with more experience he will develop confidence in his highly rated skills, as per central scouting and will become even more creative with the puck and be a good fit pour les Canadien.

But who am I to say all this... it really is up to Benoit to let his play do the talking for us.

go habs

Mats

Pouliot may not have shown up much on the scoresheet yet, but anyone can see that he's got potential written all over him. He's fast, plays hard, goes to the net, has great hands and above-average vision for the game. How many of those things could you say about Lats? I'm genuinely exciting to see how he pans out, and you can see that he's already developing some chemistry with Gomez and Gionta.

I'm more surprised that people felt we weren't getting the better of this deal. Pouliot was playing for Lemaire's Wild. Look what happened to Gaborik when he got his wings.

I am a surprised with his physicality and willingness to go to the net, more the the skill. I didn't know much about the guy other then he was supposed to be a high draft pick that didn't pan out.

What surprised me that in a lit of reviews on his play he sounded like a faster, more skilled but less physical and smaller version of Lats, who also had a bad work ethic and that he plays around the perimeter. I think his play has me optimisic that Gainey may have finally won a trade.

The kid seems to have a great work ethic, good nose for the net and I think in the few games he has played for the habs has gone hard to the net at least 10 times the number of times we saw from Lats during the entire season. Lats would say he needs to park himself in front of the net. Pouliot actually does it.

It looks to me like he just may ressurrect his career in Montreal the same way that little weasel Ribiero did in Dallas - which would be a refreshing change. Ordinarilly it's our castoffs who find success elsewhere.

i think his playing better in montreal because of the guys on our team...the guys we add this year are hard working guys that go to the net.it rubs off..look at plek.

I saw this guy play for the 1st time on Sunday (just got back from my holidays). My initial reaction was, "Boy did we ever steal one in this trade!" I just hope he keeps on playing the way he is...

Well, I had a weird "feeling" about this one. Bob really was due for a little bit of plain old fashioned luck. And the early returns do look good; but I wouldn't go clicking my heels just yet. If he's still being as physical and driving for the net with the same commitment in 20 games, then it will be time to do handstands, because we may just have bagged a gem. Right now I feel it's too early - he may just be in "I've gotta impress everyone" mode and set to back off once he feels comfortable. Hopefully not.

I was a nay sayer from the first announcement of the trade. I really liked Lats, but I am pretty impressed with Benny so far. I was also very impressed with Dags last year, so we will see in time, but so far, so good.

Saw him play, like him, we won thai trade it appears. Surprised Minny trades their #4 overall pick who had played so few games but was doing better this year before his injury -- they might have bought the Latendresse hype or something?

I like what i've seen so far, but I still think it's a little too early to give my final verdict. Pouliot could use a few extra pounds. He gets pushed off the puck rather easily!

I like what i've seen so far, but I still think it's a little too early to give my final verdict. Pouliot could use a few extra pounds. He gets pushed off the puck rather easily!

He definitely needs to hit the gym. Dude is a rail.

I believe hes the next Patrick Poulin. High first rounder, who will never be the big scorer he was suppose to be and ultimatley will keep his NHL job as a 3rd or 4th liner, because somebody will always want to try and unleash the potential that he once had.

I believe hes the next Patrick Poulin. High first rounder, who will never be the big scorer he was suppose to be and ultimatley will keep his NHL job as a 3rd or 4th liner, because somebody will always want to try and unleash the potential that he once had.

You could be right. But based on the little we've seen so far, that seems to be unduly pessimistic.

He's shown more in just a few games than Guillaume in three years. I liked Guillaume, mind you, the first two years' Guillaume. Since then, he has changed quite a bit. Didn't hit anybody, nowhere to be seen around the net...

Pouliot so far looks a lot more talented kid. Speed, hockey sense, stick-handling, he's got it all. I have no worry that the points will come soon -- and in numbers.

Pouliot for Lats: a steal, really.

Pouliot for Lats: a steal, really.

I think it's too early to say that!

In case you hadn't Noticed, Guillaume has 7 goals in 18 games with the Wild. If he keeps it up, he'll score 22 goals this year(in 62 games with the Wild.)

I think it's too early to say that!

In case you hadn't Noticed, Guillaume has 7 goals in 18 games with the Wild. If he keeps it up, he'll score 22 goals this year(in 62 games with the Wild.)

its not all about who scores the most goals..if it was we would of never let ryder leave...I for one thinks pouliot is a all around better player..if he adds more weight it could really up his game..boy needs to hit the gym..

Edited by KEEP26

its not all about who scores the most goals..

I know it's not all about the goals scored, but you have to admit that the whole point of playing is to SCORE GOALS...so it is the MOST important thing!

Latendresse was not a favourite of Jacques Martin (he was playing 11 minutes per game) so he was shipped out of town. now he get decent minutes in Minneapolis (15-16 minutes per game) and he's producing...go figure!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Habsfan

I know it's not all about the goals scored, but you have to admit that the whole point of playing is to SCORE GOALS...so it is the MOST important thing!

Latendresse was not a favourite of Jacques Martin (he was playing 11 minutes per game) so he was shipped out of town. now he get decent minutes in Minneapolis (15-16 minutes per game) and he's producing...go figure!! :rolleyes:

That's because he's playing with a Koivu ^_^

yea i see what your saying, same thing happen to ryder here, guy put him on the 4th line and then everone got piss because ryder couldnt score only playing 4 mins a night...but i think pouliot bring more to the table then latendresse..but the way coaches use players can break or make a season..i hope latendresse playes good in minny, but i think we got the better all around player..

Edited by KEEP26

Latendresse was not a favourite of Jacques Martin (he was playing 11 minutes per game) so he was shipped out of town. now he get decent minutes in Minneapolis (15-16 minutes per game) and he's producing...go figure!!  :rolleyes:

"Favorite" is the key word here. Martin didnt like Lats so he didnt cut him any slack. On the other hand, Pacioretty plays 15 mins per game with PP time, but is all flash and dazzle. He has 3 goals in 44 games, on pace for 5 in 81 game. On top of that he's not nearly physical enough, trying to play a finesse game rather than using his size. But Martin loves him. Seems that Martin favors any player that skates fast, regardless if he can actually do anything. 

"favourite" is the key word here. Martin didnt like Lats so he didnt cut him any slack. On the other hand, Pacioretty plays 15 mins per game with PP time, but is all flash and dazzle. He has 3 goals in 44 games, on pace for 5 in 81 game. On top of that he's not nearly physical enough, trying to play a finesse game rather than using his size. But Martin loves him. Seems that Martin favors any player that skates fast, regardless if he can actually do anything. 

Ya, this year Max is not looking so good. He is young though. I will reserve judgement on him until the end of next year. Hell I was willing to Lats another two years.

People are so quick to pass judgement on young players these days, often forgetting many players won't hit their prime until their late 20's or maybe even early 30's. Guys who are able to walk in and play at a high level at 20 usually go in the top 5 picks and have names that tend to end with 'echkin' or 'osby', and so on.

Ya, this year Max is not looking so good. He is young though. I will reserve judgement on him until the end of next year. Hell I was willing to Lats another two years.

Shit man. I'm going to wait another 3 years for Max Pac until my judgement...