Gainey open to negotiating with Plex and Halak

PMAC

Both of those players are two assets that are vital to the Canadiens success. Plekanec has blossomed into a top 6 forward and has the two-way skills that Canadiens fans were hoping for out of Higgins. Supplementary goaltending from Halak can take you a long way, especially when the post-season comes around (ex: cam ward). If Bob signs both before the 1st, I will be very content, and promote him to only a semi-bonehead for the non-negotiation policy (which in itself is silly)

with Plekanec it depends on the money his looking for..he is a good player but i still dont think his a great player or game changer..so bob got his hands full getting this one done...

Halak i think we should trade in a package to bring in another top foward or puck moving defense with a right hand shot..

Those guys are assests. If the team is the same as last year they are still a 500 team, not good enough.

They still need size, toughness, grit, a big tough 2 way centre to win big faceoffs, some D who can move the puck.

Resigning those guys doesn't address the issues the team still has.

SOrry, if next years team is the same as this years team, then nothing has changed

This is the only thing he could say. They'll keep Halak unless they get a good offer for him. With Pouliot working on the second line, I don't see any obvious weaknesses in our roster that a Halak trade can fix. I think Gainey would be willing to sign Plekanec and then worry about the cap in the offseason (might make trading Hammer more difficult). I would wait 10 games after the Olympics to see if Plekanec is still going at the same rate. If he is, then get the contract signed ASAP. If he isn't, then you wait it out a little bit and see how his play goes.

This is the only thing he could say. They'll keep Halak unless they get a good offer for him. With Pouliot working on the second line, I don't see any obvious weaknesses in our roster that a Halak trade can fix. I think Gainey would be willing to sign Plekanec and then worry about the cap in the offseason (might make trading Hammer more difficult). I would wait 10 games after the Olympics to see if Plekanec is still going at the same rate. If he is, then get the contract signed ASAP. If he isn't, then you wait it out a little bit and see how his play goes.

A sensible post from one of our most reliably sensible contributors. :hockey:

I'm all for keeping both (although the Halak/Price tandem will not be a stable option in the long or even medium term. Both want to be #1s and we will have to make a choice pretty soon). Anyway, I just don't think that signing Pleks will be possible given the cap.

It might have been a couple of weeks ago. But on Hockey Night in Canada they talked about Semins' signing and that lead to Pleks and his contract situation and Leburn said that per CBA rules that 'you can't talk about contract extension with someone until Jan 1. if you had signed them to a one year contract in the summer'. So that could explain why there has been no development on those two contract extensions until now. That could also explain Gainey's so called policy to not extends peoples contract then again I believe most of those guys were coming off long term deals expect for like Ryder and maybe another.

Yeah, he's hardly going to say "I'm looking to trade one or both of these guys", but we all know that capwise it's next to impossible to keep Plex. We'd have to unload one of Hammer/Spaceman (good luck) + another contract or two just for starters, not counting the salaries of whomever we get back. Plus with Gainey's hard on for Price, I don't see signing Halak as his priority. I hope I'm wrong because I like the kid, but I think he's as good as gone, and if you put a gun to my head, I'd say so is Plex. And for all of you who liked the Gomez trade and are having second thoughts now, just wait until Andrei Kostitsyn is due for a re-up. In spite of that though, I'm not sure I fully buy the "this is your roster and we're sentenced to mediocrity if it stays the same" argument, since honestly, how many games have we played with a full, or close to full roster this year? Call me naive, but I feel this team is still gelling. And even though we were badly burned last year, you CAN and SHOULD expect to replenish from within the organization, and contrary to all the doom and gloom, we STILL have a pretty decent prospect base.

As far as obvious weaknesses, I think this year specifically we're a little short on solid, reliable D, so if we're looking for an upgrade, i would look for (a cheap) one in that direction. This may look better next year, because again, we do have good defensive prospects who will have a legitimate shot at making the roster (PK, Weber) and contributing. OB is due for a significant raise if we pick up his option, but Mara is coming off the books and can be replaced more cheaply.

Yeah, he's hardly going to say "I'm looking to trade one or both of these guys", but we all know that capwise it's next to impossible to keep Plex. We'd have to unload one of Hammer/Spaceman (good luck) + another contract or two just for starters, not counting the salaries of whomever we get back. Plus with Gainey's hard on for Price, I don't see signing Halak as his priority. I hope I'm wrong because I like the kid, but I think he's as good as gone, and if you put a gun to my head, I'd say so is Plex. And for all of you who liked the Gomez trade and are having second thoughts now, just wait until Andrei Kostitsyn is due for a re-up. In spite of that though, I'm not sure I fully buy the "this is your roster and we're sentenced to mediocrity if it stays the same" argument, since honestly, how many games have we played with a full, or close to full roster this year? Call me naive, but I feel this team is still gelling. And even though we were badly burned last year, you CAN and SHOULD expect to replenish from within the organization, and contrary to all the doom and gloom, we STILL have a pretty decent prospect base.

As far as obvious weaknesses, I think this year specifically we're a little short on solid, reliable D, so if we're looking for an upgrade, i would look for (a cheap) one in that direction. This may look better next year, because again, we do have good defensive prospects who will have a legitimate shot at making the roster (PK, Weber) and contributing. OB is due for a significant raise if we pick up his option, but Mara is coming off the books and can be replaced more cheaply.

Our prospects up front are pretty thin. Top 6 wise. At D, I think we have a wealth of prospects. This is also, where I feel we need the biggest upgrade. Subaan, Weber, Carle, and Belle all look to be close to NHL ready. Pyatt and White both impressed. If Max was having a year like last year, I would say we could call up one or both of these guys. As far as keeping Plek...good luck Bob!

first of all i dont think plek, halak, or the Kostitsyn was part of the habs future at the begining off the season..now that plek as play great a bunch of fans as jump on the wagon....so win win for us if bob keeps him it looks like he can be a good nhl player,if we trade him we should get somthing good for him..win win..

halak well be trade...his a good goalie but most of his games are against the weaker teams, like tonight after price played was, buf halak gets the start against florida to bliud his number...win win halak happy he gets to play, bob gets to watch halak add value to him self and sits and waits for the phone to ring..

at least one of the Kostitsyn well be trade but i bet they both go in a package deal..

i think we are going to see the habs make a lot of trade before next season..

Next year you can bet your house that Mara will not be back. Neither will Stewart and the habs will either try to give Larque away or buy him out. Just with these 3 guys, you can save 2.7 million$ Bob will most likely try to trade/give away hamrlik and his 5.5 million$ salary. He will only have 1 year left on his contract, so many teams will be interested in his services, especially since he's been playing very well this year. Hamrlik and mara will be replaced with Subban and Weber. Not only will we save money, but the team will be younger!

With the money saved they can resign both Plex and Carey Price.

Edited by Habsfan

Next year you can bet your house that Mara will not be back. Neither will Stewart and the habs will either try to give Larque away or buy him out. Just with these 3 guys, you can save 2.7 million$ Bob will most likely try to trade/give away hamrlik and his 5.5 million$ salary. He will only have 1 year left on his contract, so many teams will be interested in his services, especially since he's been playing very well this year. Hamrlik and mara will be replaced with Subban and Weber. Not only will we save money, but the team will be younger!

Next to Markov, Plex is our best player. He will not be going anywhere unless a knock out offer comes back. Unless something drastically changes, we will not make the play-offs. Look for us to sell unless we move up considerably and have chance to do some damage in play-offs.

Habs will in the hunt for the 8th playoff spot and won't be a seller at the deadline. The team will open up minimal cap space by letting Mara walk and doing something with Laraque. Those savings will likely be just enough to give small raises to RFAs Lapierre, Pouliot, D'Agostini, and Price (among other minor guys). Thus, Plekanec will not get the kind of money he wants and be lost for nothing. I will be thrilled and amazed if this is not how it goes down.

Next to Markov, Plex is our best player. He will not be going anywhere unless a knock out offer comes back. Unless something drastically changes, we will not make the play-offs. Look for us to sell unless we move up considerably and have chance to do some damage in play-offs.

plex as been our best player for half a season...................the guys good but,i need more before you give this guy big money for long term.....

I love the idea that 'the Habs will unload Hamrlik.' How in the name of Howie Morenz does this help our team? If you ask me, Hammer is almost as indispensable to our current D as Markov. *Maybe* he can be replaced more cheaply by some other acquisition...but calm, experienced, good-all-around defencemen don't grow on trees. Weber came up this year and looked hopelessly lost. Subban would be a raw rookie. Neither is likely to bring anything comparable to what Hammer brings. So I think losing Hammer and keeping Pleks is nearly as unappealing as keeping Pleks and losing Hammer. Either way, our team would take a huge blow. In short: that can't be the answer.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I love the idea that 'the Habs will unload Hamrlik.' How in the name of Howie Morenz does this help our team? If you ask me, Hammer is almost as indispensable to our current D as Markov. *Maybe* he can be replaced more cheaply by some other acquisition...but calm, experienced, good-all-around defencemen don't grow on trees. Weber came up this year and looked hopelessly lost. Subban would be a raw rookie. Neither is likely to bring anything comparable to what Hammer brings. So I think losing Hammer and keeping Pleks is nearly as unappealing as keeping Pleks and losing Hammer. Either way, our team would take a huge blow. In short: that can't be the answer.

People seem to have short memories.

Hammer was atrocious last season, to the point of being a major liability for pretty much the entire last 25-30 games of the season and the short-lived slaughter that was Rd #1. This guy is playing well this year because there is nothing to compare him to, hence he looks good side by side with other marginal D-men. And at 5.5M/yr he is at least 1.5M-2M overpaid for his age/speed/passing. He and his huge contract need to go after this season is over, or even earlier if a trade can be done at the deadline.

The difference between his play and some at 1/5 of his pricetag and 10yrs younger would be more than worth it.

People seem to have short memories.

Hammer was atrocious last season, to the point of being a major liability for pretty much the entire last 25-30 games of the season and the short-lived slaughter that was Rd #1. This guy is playing well this year because there is nothing to compare him to, hence he looks good side by side with other marginal D-men. And at 5.5M/yr he is at least 1.5M-2M overpaid for his age/speed/passing. He and his huge contract need to go after this season is over, or even earlier if a trade can be done at the deadline.

The difference between his play and some at 1/5 of his pricetag and 10yrs younger would be more than worth it.

Pleks was also atrocious last season...and he doesn't have Hamrlik's pedigree of years of reliable NHL excellence. So by this logic, it would make *more* sense to keep Hammer than Pleks. (Which is not what I'm advocating; but the point is that the 'short memory' argument cuts both ways).

Hamrlik is overpaid, but 1) I don't think he can be easily replaced, and 2) I think we would miss him hugely. (Our D sucks now. Imagine it without our #2 D-man). I suppose one hope is that Spacek, moved to his correct side, would return to his Buffalo form and help fill the gap. That's a possibility, I suppose. Other than that - look out.

Well, trading Hamrlik would bring back somebody who can play in the NHL, we're just not sure what. We wouldn't be able to trade a $5.5m player for picks and prospects... there'd be a NHL caliber player or two in return.

Pleks was also atrocious last season...and he doesn't have Hamrlik's pedigree of years of reliable NHL excellence. So by this logic, it would make *more* sense to keep Hammer than Pleks. (Which is not what I'm advocating; but the point is that the 'short memory' argument cuts both ways).

Hamrlik is overpaid, but 1) I don't think he can be easily replaced, and 2) I think we would miss him hugely. (Our D sucks now. Imagine it without our #2 D-man). I suppose one hope is that Spacek, moved to his correct side, would return to his Buffalo form and help fill the gap. That's a possibility, I suppose. Other than that - look out.

I just think that the D really wouldn't regress too much more than it currently has and the savings of 5.5M would go a long way towards the future building of the team. Hammer is not in any plans beyond this season or at most next, so he is a band-aid that can be removed at any point once someone on the farm can reliably eat 15-18min/game.

Trade him at the deadline to someone that needs D heading into the playoffs and kiss his salary and giveaways goodbye. I can deal with the same number of gaffes at a fraction of the cost, which I believe is the situation we'd be in at the worst.

Edited by MK1

This is what I like to hear.

Imo, sign Pleks however you can, I've always like him, he's effective. What are the numbers that have been floating around for salary? 4mil? 5mil?

Hammer and Gomez are making that... and imo Pleks is more effective than both. I know the past and future matters... but the present is always the best indicator for the players.

On another note, whats up with the AK SK trade talk? Did SK really ask to be traded? Again, only my opinion but I would keep 'em around. The team is a lot younger and sometimes you've got to let the team build a foundation from the inside rather than bringing in other players. On defense Subban is going to be awesome. Sign Begeron if possible too. Hammer, Spaceman and Laraque is how much in salary? 8mil-11mil?

This is what I like to hear.

Imo, sign Pleks however you can, I've always like him, he's effective. What are the numbers that have been floating around for salary? 4mil? 5mil?

Hammer and Gomez are making that... and imo Pleks is more effective than both. I know the past and future matters... but the present is always the best indicator for the players.

On another note, whats up with the AK SK trade talk? Did SK really ask to be traded? Again, only my opinion but I would keep 'em around. The team is a lot younger and sometimes you've got to let the team build a foundation from the inside rather than bringing in other players. On defense Subban is going to be awesome. Sign Begeron if possible too. Hammer, Spaceman and Laraque is how much in salary? 8mil-11mil?

yea he asked for a trade..thats old news..his not going to stay with the habs to be a fouth line player..if we dont trade him his going to the khl

Awwe I like him. :(

i did to..when he first got with us he had a lot of fight in him...but what every when on last season on and off the ice change things with those 2 guys..