What would it cost to buy out Gomez?

Dalhabs

Lets say Gainey is fired at seasons end (could very well happen) and we needed to free up cash for Price and Pleks... what would it take to buy out Gomez and for how long? I still feel sick as hell about that trade and I havent felt so bad about a trade since we traded Roy.

Well since killing you or issuing a death threat is against Habsworld policy I'll just have to answer "I don't know".

Good for him to have made a nice wage. Its not the Habs fault for signing him at that amount. To take on his salary I'm sure took alot of thinking on Bob's part to trade for him. I'm happy with this guy... his hit on our cap is a non issue. Gainey wanted him and that's enough for me.

Mats

two-thirds of the remaining salary to be paid averaged out over twice the remaining length.

After next season (When he's owed 10 mil) he's far more tradable than he is now. I doubt he'll be bought out.

Couldnt Gainey just approach Gomez and his agent and say "look, we need to free up some cap room, could you renegociate in order for us to retain Plekanec and be a better team?"

first i think gomez would say F**k off, but i pretty sure the nhlpa wouldnt like it also..

Lets say Gainey is fired at seasons end (could very well happen) and we needed to free up cash for Price and Pleks... what would it take to buy out Gomez and for how long? I still feel sick as hell about that trade and I havent felt so bad about a trade since we traded Roy.

Expanding on Seb's response, we'd be on the hook for 2.125 million for the next 8 seasons if Gomez were to be bought out after the season.

Couldnt Gainey just approach Gomez and his agent and say "look, we need to free up some cap room, could you renegociate in order for us to retain Plekanec and be a better team?"

You can't renegotiate deals in the NHL. All you can do is extend them in the final year of a deal, and even then the new cap hit doesn't take effect until the new deal does.

You can't renegotiate deals in the NHL. All you can do is extend them in the final year of a deal, and even then the new cap hit doesn't take effect until the new deal does.

Same as HWL then?! So can you buy-out and re-sign for cheaper before anyone else realizes the guy is a UFA!? :)

Same as HWL then?! So can you buy-out and re-sign for cheaper before anyone else realizes the guy is a UFA!? :)

*taking note for checking out UFA's every sim*

Is that an official CBA rule for cap purposes? Or is that just an unwritten policy between the NHLPA and the clubs?

Legally, two parties can amend any contract so long as they both agree to the changes...

Certainly the NHLPA would be pretty unhappy BUT legally there would be very little they could challenge without an it being in the CBA...and even then I'm not sure they could enforce it.

Haha, now there's an interesting idea. Buy out Gomez and sign him to a 2 million a year deal and his cap hit becomes 4.125 million, haha. Of course, then it's an 8 year deal if you're going to match the length of the buyout.

Expanding on Seb's response, we'd be on the hook for 2.125 million for the next 8 seasons if Gomez were to be bought out after the season.

Yeah, it would be totally pointless to buy him out. Paying 2.125 for nobody over the next 8 seasons will be crippling for us. And then we need to pay the bucks to land a new 2nd line C.

two-thirds of the remaining salary to be paid averaged out over twice the remaining length.

After next season (When he's owed 10 mil) he's far more tradable than he is now. I doubt he'll be bought out.

It's more complex than that because Gomez's salary doesn't match his cap hit. Here's how the calculation breaks down:

For 2010-11:

Salary: $8,000,000

Cap hit: $7,357,143

Buyout: $2,125,000 (sum of remaining salary x 2/3)

Savings: $5,875,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $1,482,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2011-12:

Salary: $7,500,000

Savings: $5,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $1,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2012-13:

Salary: $5,500,000

Savings: $3,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $3,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2013-14:

Salary: $4,500,000

Savings: $2,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $4,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

After 2013-14 when his contract expires, the $2,125,000 becomes the annual cap hit.

Summary of the annual cap hits (if you got bored reading the calculations):

2010-11: $1,482,143

2011-12: $1,982,143

2012-13: $3,982,143

2013-14: $4,982,143

2014-15: $2,125,000

2015-16: $2,125,000

2016-17: $2,125,000

2017-18: $2,125,000

It's more complex than that because Gomez's salary doesn't match his cap hit. Here's how the calculation breaks down:

For 2010-11:

Salary: $8,000,000

Savings: $5,875,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $1,482,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2011-12:

Salary: $7,500,000

Savings: $5,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $1,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2012-13:

Salary: $5,500,000

Savings: $3,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $3,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

For 2013-14:

Salary: $4,500,000

Savings: $2,375,000 (Salary - buyout)

Cap hit: $4,982,143 (Cap hit - savings)

After 2013-14 when his contract expires, the $2,125,000 becomes the annual cap hit.

Summary of the annual cap hits (if you got bored reading the calculations):

2010-11: $1,482,143

2011-12: $1,982,143

2012-13: $3,982,143

2013-14: $4,982,143

2014-15: $2,125,000

2015-16: $2,125,000

2016-17: $2,125,000

2017-18: $2,125,000

The guy is a total disaster with respect to the payroll, and his contributions to the scoresheet are marginal at best. We can sugarcoat this any way you wish to make it taste better, but this guy has THE worst contract in hockey and he is proving it on the CH just as he did on the Rangers.

If douchebag Burke had made this signing we would be mocking him mercilessly and would continue to do so until the cows come home, but if Bob does the exact same thing certain folks on this board think he is exonerated from the same heat.

Edited by MK1

Don't see why we would do that. Gomez is doing good since Gionta is back and they're playing with Pouliot. The problem with Gomez was that he had nobody to pass the puck too; now that he plays with shooters, he is doing good. Of course, he is overpaid, but he is from being alone in that department.

Yea, in case people haven't noticed he has been playing very well since he got some nhl wingers next to him.

I'd even argue recently he has been more noticable then poster favourite Pleks.

Yea, in case people haven't noticed he has been playing very well since he got some nhl wingers next to him.

I'd even argue recently he has been more noticable then poster favourite Pleks.

Totally true. I like Plex, but he was not the shadow of himself in the last three games. Cam is struggling too. They looked a little bit better yesterday with Dag on the right side, but they also were reluctant to pass him the puck in the early going. Obviously they are missing AK 46, and so are we.

AK 46 is very important to that line, he has the speed, the shot, and when he is on he plays physical, he creates space for the others and is an under rated play maker.

I'm not on board with most as Pleks being a must sign, he has vanished way too many times for me to consider him reliable. Unfortunately if he keeps up the great play by the end of the year, he would have priced himself out and wil ltake the money and run.

Cammi is a scorer, he needs to be set up to score. He does everythting very well but his best attribute is his hockey sense and shot

13 points in his last 11 games. If only all our players were that marginal.

He has been our best forward lately. I am more impressed by Gomez as time goes on. Ignore the salary. It is moot. Just watch the player. He carries the puck from end to end and no one touches him. What this team needs is for the top two lines to actually be healthy at teh same time, and for the top 3 defense to actually be healthy at the same time. We still haven't seen that.

Gomez is a traditionally slow starter. Even though he's been an average point producer for full years around 60-65 points in recent years, I think he's about a point per game from January through April.

Maybe long term familiarity with linemates will keep him more consistent and get him a year like he had in Jersey with Gio, but this time with Pouliot or maybe SK on his wing.

I'm going to start watching games again (covering the world juniors occupied all my time) and see what has changed since before Christmas.

13 points in his last 11 games. If only all our players were that marginal.

16pts in the previous 30+ games ... see I can play with numbers to make them fit my argument as well.

I am more impressed by Gomez as time goes on. Ignore the salary. It is moot. Just watch the player.

How can you possibly ignore the salary, his payroll alone makes up 15% of the entire team's salary cap. He is going to be paid 10M next year, and you guys are satisfied that he is on pace for 60 points.

Remember all of those posts over the past couple of years about how funny it is to see the Leafs celebrate mediocrity ... well congratulations that same attitude made its way up the 401 to Habland. On any competitive team this guy would be getting a strip torn off of him for his production vs cost and yet you guys somehow find a way to be happy with what he has/hasn't done this season.

Can't argue with mediocrity I guess, so I will roll with the crowd. He is playing great, and it was a fantastic trade. In Bob we trust.

to all who are thinking Burke would be our national laughing stock if he made this trade....

I say : yes!!! :rolleyes::lol::lol: Yet on the same line I say: he is a laughing stock anyway ^_^:lol::lol::lol:

I would like to add: I think all on this board -pro or against Gomez- all agree his contract is WAYYYY out of proportion to his game/point production that he brings.

And thus I also think if I (and some of us here) would be in the chair of BG, would buy out his contract or trade it for future considerations -that will never be considered- should it mean to keep Plex.

but that is just my guess.

None the less I like a couple of the ideas put forth already...

- buy out and then resign him at a cap hit of 4 mil. I would like Gomez ALOT more on this team at a cap hit of 4 mil.

And the best one so far, well to me anyway, maybe more so cuz I would LOVE Gomer til my last day in paradise (IF he does this for me)....

-grabbing that old laundry bag that he had back in the days and stuffing it (with coinage) like he was going back home and remembering that he did not have to pay to wash his gear.

If he would do that to me.... ohhh boy!!!! it would be better then winning the lottery!!!!! Come on Gomer, do your part, better yet give up a part if not to me ( who REALLY needs , not wants it :lol: ) then to Plex !!!!!!!! ^_^