GDT: Senators/Habs, Jan. 16, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

I found Spacek tended to break any team momentum and rhythm with weird plays and ideas. It's like he's trying to divide 473 by 17 in his head while he's playing. It's a very concerning slowdown in a veteran player with a long contract.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the game in snatches, but once we fell behind I never had the impression we were going to score. I think the Sens deserve credit - they played a very strong defensive game.

We can blame Price or the D or whatever, but in fact I've thought for a while that this team just doesn't have enough top-6 talent up front. This was a problem from the very beginning, as BTH in particular identified. Pouilot helps, but he arrived just as Kostitsyn went down, so we remain caught in that dilemma. (Even when Kosty returns, who knows whether he'll be the beast we saw for the preceding month, or the clueless dork we saw for most of the first half?).

A team that is short on offensive talent is going to have trouble when the other guys get 3+ goals. One more bona-fide top-6 forward might really change the complexion of this team, putting us over the hump in games like this; but that's easier said than done of course.

Anyway - I still kinda like these guys and I'm not counting them out yet. It's only one game.

I normally don't argue with your points, but I will here. I think that is definitely part of it. Our size up front and ability to get inside their defense for a quality scoring chance is minimal, but man how can you score goals when 90 percent of the play is in your zone? Our defense is slow! They get beat to pucks and there is no fear for the forwards to forecheck hard, because they know they will not get caught. I promise you. Look at the gameplan of the teams that beat us, and that is how they play it. This team needs a faster D. At least one right handed D, A true shutdown centre, and ya it would be nice if some of our depth guys woud step up, but to be fair, depth guys have been stepping up for this team so well over the last few years, that maybe we've come to expect it. I want faster defense. I want a shutdown line.

Actually there are. The reason the teams are forechecking us so hard is because our defense can't skate! They are the slowest defense in the league. Guaranteed. The games we lose, the gameplan is always the same. Dump and chase. Hem in the slow D. You watch that puck go to the right boards and that fraction of a second that it takes the defender to switch from the backhand to the forehand is all that's needed or the forechecker to regain possession. Thankfully the team is very deep in defensive prospects. At least one has to turn out good. Add to that a year with a few less injuries than we've had in the last two, and they might be OK in the future. I also see positives in Boucher's coaching. I actually think that if Martin doesn't succeed in 2010/2011, and Boucher continues his impressive resume, you may see him in the big team. Hopefully it works the other way where The depth in developement improves and the organizational strength makes them a contender. Boucher grooming the Dogs and Martin wotking with the Habs. Honestly I have liked the teams work ethic this year.

All right, that's fair, the farm system does have a glimmer of hope. I really don't think we can trade ourselves into contention from where we are today.

Edited by tomh009

How about Jamie Benn straight across for Halak? I can't see any C or D I would wnat from Dallas.

Number: 14

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 207

Shoots: Left

Born: Jul 18, 1989 (Age 20)

gp g a p =/-

48 8 13 21 -6

Edited by BCHabnut

It's a one goal loss, not the end of the world, not as bad as some people are exclaiming on here haha. Plek/Cammy need a winger, they look so lost without someone. I wish they'd keep Pax there, he at least has speed. Also, wtf at the strange linechanges, dump the puck in minute left, empty net...and linechange? WTF!

Diago has been pretty much useless playing with Pleks and Cammy. Can't wait to see him in the pressbox. Even Laraque would probably get more points on that line.

All right, that's fair, the farm system does have a glimmer of hope. I really don't think we can trade ourselves into contention from where we are today.

No that's for sure. The next 3 years is totally reliant on inner developement

How about Jamie Benn straight across for Halak? I can't see any C or D I would wnat from Dallas.

Number: 14

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 207

Shoots: Left

Born: Jul 18, 1989 (Age 20)

gp g a p =/-

48 8 13 21 -6

Why don't you stop with your "trade Halak?" Were you watching tonight's game? 3 weak goals as far as I could see (and 1 weak one by the Ottawa kid). We probably win this game tonight if Halak had been in nets. Numbers don't lie. Halak is the better goalie. Why would you trade your better goalie? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Why don't you stop with your "trade Halak?" Were you watching tonight's game? 3 weak goals as far as I could see (and 1 weak one by the Ottawa kid). We probably win this game tonight if Halak had been in nets. Numbers don't lie. Halak is the better goalie. Why would you trade your better goalie? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Lol.

So, if the Ottawa goalie allowed a weak goal, that means we scored one legit goal. And still the goaltending is questioned.

Haha. Yup he beat Ottawa once. The only contender he has beat. The team can't ice two starters next year. They can't afford it. I am all for giving Halak a shot against some good teams, but are you telling me that Price losing to Washington is the same as Halak letting in 4 goals against Florida and having our team score 5 to beat them? The only goal that was weak tonight was the first one. The second goal was Alferdson! In case you haven't heard...he is one of the best players in the NHL. If you leave him alone to move, the goaltender has to move laterally to play him. Being one of the best players in the NHL, he was able to tuck the puck in the fivehole. The third goal was a deflection. It changed direction 10 feet away from him. Anyway, I actually do agree that Halak is the better goalie right now, but I have seen no evidence that he is the next Hasek. Come on man. Beating the Islanders, Hurricanes, Panthers. blah blah blah is some crafty showcasing by Martin and Gainey. The Devils game was one of the best played games I have seen in a long time, and Halak couldn't beat them. I still think that they are about equal in terms of quality.

(...) Anyway, I actually do agree that Halak is the better goalie right now, but I have seen no evidence that he is the next Hasek. (..)

I agree ... neither goalie has proven himself. We have huge expectations for Price, and somewhat less for Halak, but neither one has shown themselves to be a real #1.

If one of them gave me that confidence, I would be all for trading the other one. But right now I think the platoon arrangement is the best we can do.

I agree ... neither goalie has proven himself. We have huge expectations for Price, and somewhat less for Halak, but neither one has shown themselves to be a real #1.

If one of them gave me that confidence, I would be all for trading the other one. But right now I think the platoon arrangement is the best we can do.

Most sensible post of the night, although I think that each goalie has shown they will be good starters in the future.

I normally don't argue with your points, but I will here. I think that is definitely part of it. Our size up front and ability to get inside their defense for a quality scoring chance is minimal, but man how can you score goals when 90 percent of the play is in your zone? Our defense is slow! They get beat to pucks and there is no fear for the forwards to forecheck hard, because they know they will not get caught. I promise you. Look at the gameplan of the teams that beat us, and that is how they play it. This team needs a faster D. At least one right handed D, A true shutdown centre, and ya it would be nice if some of our depth guys woud step up, but to be fair, depth guys have been stepping up for this team so well over the last few years, that maybe we've come to expect it. I want faster defense. I want a shutdown line.

I think you're right, a D that is better at moving the puck would sure help. On the other hand, it will be easier to add a top-6 forward than to rejig our D, at least in the short term. And a better D still wouldn't give us two bona fide scoring lines. So I suppose I think, to quote Homer Simpson, we're both right. ^_^

Spacek looks horrible, but isn't he still trapped on his wrong side? Tons of minutes due to Markov's injury + a whole season on the wrong side = one overworked and burned out Slovak. Still, what's with his bewildered-seeming point shot? Over the last while he's had one of the most futile point shots I can recall seeing. This from the guy who ran Buffalo's PP last season?? Sheesh.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I agree in that I don't think Halak should be traded.

I Can't believe we lost to the Hens who were without Speza and Michalek!! truly Pathetic!

I must admit I like Pouliot, The kid is doin' better than i expected, but did anyone notice Guillaume's hat trick tonight?

Edited by Habsfan

I must admit I like Pouliot, The kid is doint better than i expected, but did anyone notice Guillaume's hat trick tonight?

I noticed Guillaume didn't score a hat trick for Montreal tonight, so who cares?

I Can't believe we lost to the Hens who were without Speza and Michalek!! truly Pathetic!

I must admit I like Pouliot, The kid is doint better than i expected, but did anyone notice Guillaume's hat trick tonight?

I'm happy with Pouilot, yeah, but this Latendresse thing *is* getting a little sickening. :puke: The John LeClair parallel is starting to nag at me - another hulking forward who simply refused to go to the net for us and yet suddenly figured it out when he was moved elsewhere. Oh well. (If Pouilot sags and Lats keeps it up, can Gainey keep his job? I wonder).

Diago has been pretty much useless playing with Pleks and Cammy. Can't wait to see him in the pressbox. Even Laraque would probably get more points on that line.

Completely agree. I've seen enough of Dagostini. He hasn'T done anything. Put Paccioretty with Plex and Camms!

Your shift at Mcdonalds starting soon?

:clap::clap:;) Priceless!

I'm happy with Pouilot, yeah, but this Latendresse thing *is* getting a little sickening. :puke: The John LeClair parallel is starting to nag at me - another hulking forward who simply refused to go to the net for us and yet suddenly figured it out when he was moved elsewhere. Oh well. (If Pouilot sags and Lats keeps it up, can Gainey keep his job? I wonder).

I don't think that the coaches in Minnessota are asking Gui to park his butt in front of the net, cause most of his goals aren'T the typical garbage goals you'd get when you park your butt in front of the net. For some reason, his natural scorers touch is coming out! Maybe its the fact that the coaching staff in Minny has shown some confidance in him. hHe doesn't feel pressured to play a perfect "defensive" game! He knows that if he makes a defensive mistake that he won't be benched...when a player knows that his coach trusts him, he plays better and it makes all the difference.

As far as the Leclaire comparison... had you said this last week, I would have said you're crazy, but I must admit that it is nagging at me as well!!! I just hope Pouliot can keep up the pace!?!?!

Has anyone else noticed that Spacek hasn't been able to take decent shot in over 3 weeks. It's really pathetic. He has missed every single one-timer that was offered to him. Get him off the PP! 3.8 million$ for this? No thanks!

Edited by Habsfan

Yep, Latendresse wasn't good enough for that Brilliant hockey mind that is Gainey. That sloppy SOB Price keeps getting starts after 3 years of bullshit beer league goaltending though.

This franchise has been sh*t since Patrick Roy got traded by another genius.

Edited by Jaysix

Funny, I thought D'Agostini did good tonight. He took a bunch of shots, a couple that were in decent spots. It was likely his best game up with those guys to date. And the penalty he got called for was completely phantom.

I don't think that the coaches in Minnessota are asking Gui to park his butt in front of the net, cause most of his goals aren'T the typical garbage goals you'd get when you park your butt in front of the net. For some reason, his natural scorers touch is coming out! Maybe its the fact that the coaching staff in Minny has shown some confidance in him. hHe doesn't feel pressured to play a perfect "defensive" game! He knows that if he makes a defensive mistake that he won't be benched...when a player knows that his coach trusts him, he plays better and it makes all the difference.

As far as the Leclaire comparison... had you said this last week, I would have said you're crazy, but I must admit that it is nagging at me as well!!! I just hope Pouliot can keep up the pace!?!?!

Has anyone else noticed that Spacek hasn't been able to take decent shot in over 3 weeks. It's really pathetic. He has missed every single one-timer that was offered to him. Get him off the PP! 3.8 million$ for this? No thanks!

The sudden collapse of anything like a credible shot from Spacek suggests either exhaustion or injury. He deserves some leeway because of his being used on the wrong side, but in terms of pure on-ice results he has been Bob's most disappointing 2009 UFA signing by some distance. Hopefully he can collect himself for the stretch run. We'll need more from him.

As for Lats, I don't think you can blame Montreal's coaches. Carbo had a hard-on for him, and yet he never showed any consistent offensive touch for Carbo either (notwithstanding his acceptable goal-scoring production at even strength). My defence of Lats was always that we'd need to be patient, NOT that he'd shown real signs of high-end talent in Montreal. The fact is he may have just been oppressed here by the fishbowl and the pressure...and he may also have ceased to believe in his future with us after Bob jettisoned practically everyone of his old teammates. Now, I guess, he`s flourishing, freed of all that.

People who want to rag on Bob Gainey for trading Lats, though, should be forced to dredge up their record of posts relating to Latendresse. Dollars to dougnuts they were crapping all over Lats as more proof of Bob's pathetic drafting, calling Gui 'Fatendresse,' etc., etc., as little as two months ago. Sheesh.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I noticed Guillaume didn't score a hat trick for Montreal tonight, so who cares?

Well, when Bob made the trade I said that we gave up on Gui too soon, and he's prooving me right! 19 points (including 13 goals) in 24 games played for minny!! You don't think Gui could've played with Gomez and Gionta? When Martin showed up, Gui would play a few minutes on the first 2 lines during the 1st period, then he sit out most of the rest of the game!

I've always Liked Bob. I was patient with his rebuilding plan for the first 5 years, but he's starting to make more and more mistakes. All I'm saying is maybe Bob is not the savior who will lead us to our next cup!?!?!?

As for Lats, I don't think you can blame Montreal's coaches. Carbo had a hard-on for him, and yet he never showed any consistent offensive touch for Carbo either (notwithstanding his acceptable goal-scoring production at even strength). My defence of Lats was always that we'd need to be patient, NOT that he'd shown real signs of high-end talent in Montreal. The fact is he may have just been oppressed here by the fishbowl and the pressure...and he may also have ceased to believe in his future with us after Bob jettisoned practically everyone of his old teammates. Now, I guess, he`s flourishing, freed of all that.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but how could we expect Gui to REALLY produce when he was playing 11 minutes per game with 0 minutes of PP time?? He's playing 16 minutes per game in Minny and he gets a regular shift on the PP...looks like that's all he really needed to produce.

People who want to rag on Bob Gainey for trading Lats, though, should be forced to dredge up their record of posts relating to Latendresse. Dollars to dougnuts they were crapping all over Lats as more proof of Bob's pathetic drafting, calling Gui 'Fatendresse,' etc., etc., as little as two months ago. Sheesh.

I'd like to point out that I always said we needed to be patient with Gui.

Edited by Habsfan

Funny, I thought D'Agostini did good tonight. He took a bunch of shots, a couple that were in decent spots. It was likely his best game up with those guys to date. And the penalty he got called for was completely phantom.

Agreed, but at a certain point, shots aren't enough anymore. We need REAL results!(GOALs)