GDT: Senators/Habs, Jan. 16, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

All right boys, that's it for me. I'm off for a night on the town!! Wish me luck with the ladies!!

Hopefully our boys will perform better tomorrow!!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, when Bob made the trade I said that we gave up on Gui too soon, and he's prooving me right! 19 points (including 13 goals) in 24 games played for minny!! You don't think Gui could've played with Gomez and Gionta? When Martin showed up, Gui would play a few minutes on the first 2 lines during the 1st period, then he sit out most of the rest of the game!

I've always Liked Bob. I was patient with his rebuilding plan for the first 5 years, but he's starting to make more and more mistakes. All I'm saying is maybe Bob is not the savior who will lead us to our next cup!?!?!?

Latendresse couldn't skate with Gomez and Gionta. Take every play Gomez-Gionta-Pouliot have ever done, then take out Pouliot and replace him with Latendresse. He'd be 3 strides behind and wouldn't go near the net. Latendresse doesn't make Gionta-Gomez better. He would drag them down.

All Latendresse is proving right now is that he needed to be traded to jump start his potential. Apparently Pouliot required the same shakeup.

Latendresse was apparently unwilling to go to the net here (something Pouliot has been doing,) and had shut out the coach's urging to do so. If he was unwilling to listen to the coach, and poisoning the dressing room in the process, then he needed to GTFO.

Are you honestly disappointed with the return? This isn't Niinimaa. Gionta-Gomez-Pouliot have scored something like 8 of Montreal's last 11 goals. It's a complete win-win trade.

I am quite pleased with the trade. Pouliot is a very dangerous and dynamic player. Lats is hot rright now, and I always wanted to keep him, but I am not disapointed in the trade...YET

Wow, I just checked and Gui is leading the Wild with 15 goals.

Edited by BCHabnut

Latendresse couldn't skate with Gomez and Gionta. Take every play Gomez-Gionta-Pouliot have ever done, then take out Pouliot and replace him with Latendresse. He'd be 3 strides behind and wouldn't go near the net. Latendresse doesn't make Gionta-Gomez better. He would drag them down.

All Latendresse is proving right now is that he needed to be traded to jump start his potential. Apparently Pouliot required the same shakeup.

Latendresse was apparently unwilling to go to the net here (something Pouliot has been doing,) and had shut out the coach's urging to do so. If he was unwilling to listen to the coach, and poisoning the dressing room in the process, then he needed to GTFO.

Are you honestly disappointed with the return? This isn't Niinimaa. Gionta-Gomez-Pouliot have scored something like 8 of Montreal's last 11 goals. It's a complete win-win trade.

Fair points (except for the 'dressing room poison' thing, which is always thrown around about ex-Habs, but never proven). Pouilot has six goals in his last nine games; only in Montreal could we wring our hands over that!! What I don't like is the idea that Pouilot HAS to keep producing at a ferocious clip in order to prove that we didn't lose the trade. Should he falter, the French fans and media will start baying for blood...I don't think anyone in the organization needs that, and especially not Pouliot.

Should Lats emerge as a legitimate 30-40 goal man, it will have to be taken as yet further proof of the catastrophic failure to develop (not draft) young talent under the Gainey-Carbo regime - a failure that Gainey has already tacitly admitted by firing every coach at every level that had anything to do with it. The healthy response is to look forward based on both Pouliot's performance and obvious talent, and the rather impressive people Bob now has in place (e.g., Boucher) - but Montreal fans and media are not the types to show healthy responses to anything.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Agreed, but at a certain point, shots aren't enough anymore. We need REAL results!(GOALs)

Well, you have to begin somewhere. Dags definitely has elevated his play a bit.

As for the game, once again our young goalie did not have solid support from the offense. It looks as though we can't win if our goalies don't have an outstanding performance. It's kind of ridiculous. Nobody is perfect and it's perfectly undertandable that Price or Halak will have average outings, once in a while. Is it too much to ask for some support, let's 3, or 4 goals from time to time. No way we can win 3 or 4 in a row with that kind of offense.

Very disappointing.

BTW, I am very surprised by Latendresse offensive numbers since he is in Minnesota. I thought that he had good hands and a solid shot, but I have never seen him as a big offensive threat. Don't know if he can't keep this rythm -- and I doubt it very much. Anyhow, I am quite sure that he was done in Mtl. And don't blame Martin or Gainey for that. I think he has had his chance before, but never took it. Good for him if he can produce elsewhere. Just too bad for Mtl.

Anyhow, Lats' successes don't mean that we can't be satisfied with the trade. So far I really like what I see from Pouliot. He made a mistake tonight, but quickly scored a goal to even things out. So far, so good for the teams... and the two players. Let's hope that they will be able to improve their play and become excellent hockey players.

Edited by JCPetit

I agree ... neither goalie has proven himself. We have huge expectations for Price, and somewhat less for Halak, but neither one has shown themselves to be a real #1.

If one of them gave me that confidence, I would be all for trading the other one. But right now I think the platoon arrangement is the best we can do.

You know what I find very revealing? If you check the posts from early on this year, there were very few people giving Halak any credit at all. Now, some of the biggest Price supporters are saying we have *2* good goalies. I find the change in their position very significant.

You know what I find very revealing? If you check the posts from early on this year, there were very few people giving Halak any credit at all. Now, some of the biggest Price supporters are saying we have *2* good goalies. I find the change in their position very significant.

You're right. I was among those who were very skeptical about Halak. IMO, he is too small to have a long and successful career in today's hockey, where the average player is over 6' tall and more than 200 pounds. I know that there are exceptions though and Halak may well be one. The best case scenario would be to keep the two goalies. I suppose that it would have been possible before the salary cap era. Now, it doesn't make sense to pay top dollars for two goalies. Unfortunately, you have to choose. And the choice is easy: Halak will go, sooner or later.

Nothing personal. It's just the way it is.

I am quite pleased with the trade. Pouliot is a very dangerous and dynamic player. Lats is hot rright now, and I always wanted to keep him, but I am not disapointed in the trade...YET

Wow, I just checked and Gui is leading the Wild with 15 goals.

Poulliot will turn out to be a better player than Latendresse in the long run. He can skate better. He takes a pass better. And he has better vision on the ice. I don't know why Latendresse is scoring all of those points lately, but I don't expect it to last.

(And if it does last, he wasn't doing this in Montreal, so how can anyone blame Gainey? And I say this, even though I'm not crazy about Gainey at this particular point.)

Fair points (except for the 'dressing room poison' thing, which is always thrown around about ex-Habs, but never proven). Pouilot has six goals in his last nine games; only in Montreal could we wring our hands over that!! What I don't like is the idea that Pouilot HAS to keep producing at a ferocious clip in order to prove that we didn't lose the trade. Should he falter, the French fans and media will start baying for blood...I don't think anyone in the organization needs that, and especially not Pouliot.

Should Lats emerge as a legitimate 30-40 goal man, it will have to be taken as yet further proof of the catastrophic failure to develop (not draft) young talent under the Gainey-Carbo regime - a failure that Gainey has already tacitly admitted by firing every coach at every level that had anything to do with it. The healthy response is to look forward based on both Pouliot's performance and obvious talent, and the rather impressive people Bob now has in place (e.g., Boucher) - but Montreal fans and media are not the types to show healthy responses to anything.

You seem to forget that Minnesota, and Jacques Lemaire, also failed to develop Pouliot. Sometimes, there's not much you can do I guess...

You're right. I was among those who were very skeptical about Halak. IMO, he is too small to have a long and successful career in today's hockey, where the average player is over 6' tall and more than 200 pounds. I know that there are exceptions though and Halak may well be one. The best case scenario would be to keep the two goalies. I suppose that it would have been possible before the salary cap era. Now, it doesn't make sense to pay top dollars for two goalies. Unfortunately, you have to choose. And the choice is easy: Halak will go, sooner or later.

Nothing personal. It's just the way it is.

If Halak is the one to go, we'll be the ones who lose out. It is my belief that Halak will prove to be the better goalie as their respective careers develop...

Just for clarification, is the point you're trying to make that the change is because of Price's supposed bad play or Halak's good play?

Halak is being played against weaker teams to pad his stats. It's evident. Halak had an exceptional 5 game run against low teams. Price had an exceptional run in November. I have never questioned Halak's abilities. He has worked on rebound control and is playing quite well. Did you know that Price got to 50 wins in less games than Brodeur Roy or Marc Andre Fleury. He also has more wins for his age than any current goaltender. He is young and developing. Sometimes he plain old scares me. Thursday against Dallas, I thought he looked terrible. Halak has played better, but I still believe in Carey. I believe in a few years he will be the better goaltender. A franchise goaltender. Halak may be too, but I don't know.

Edited by BCHabnut

Did you know that Price got to 50 wins in less games than Brodeur Roy or Marc Andre Fleury. He also has more wins for his age than any current goaltender. He is young and developing. Sometimes he plain old scares me. Thursday against Dallas, I thought he looked terrible. Halak has played better, but I still believe in Carey. I believe in a few years he will be the better goaltender. A franchise goaltender. Halak may be too, but I don't know.

This is an excellent point that most people don't seem to understand. They just expect Price to come into the league essentially straight from junior and dominate the best players in the world. Goaltenders don't mature until their mid twenties. All the good that Price has done up to this point at his young age never seems to be mentioned, like his Calder Cup MVP, world junior tournament MVP, all star selection, and backstopping the 1st place team in the east to the second round of the playoffs. I'm sick of hearing people saying he sucks and he's shaky or to trade him. How the hell are we ever gonna develop within the system if we give up on all our young talent? Patience people......patience

Well, when Bob made the trade I said that we gave up on Gui too soon, and he's prooving me right! 19 points (including 13 goals) in 24 games played for minny!! You don't think Gui could've played with Gomez and Gionta? When Martin showed up, Gui would play a few minutes on the first 2 lines during the 1st period, then he sit out most of the rest of the game!

I've always Liked Bob. I was patient with his rebuilding plan for the first 5 years, but he's starting to make more and more mistakes. All I'm saying is maybe Bob is not the savior who will lead us to our next cup!?!?!?

You think Lats would have had this level of success in Montreal?

Why do people like you always have to see it as Team Price vs. Team Halak?

Edited by ForumGhost

Yeah and Price not cutting it either dammit. Seems to be inconsistent and complacent.

price is not the problem...in the nhl you cant beat many teams scoring 2 goals a game..bad goals well happen..that life..you could blame the reason we lose last night on Pouliot for that first goal..but everyone what to blame price or halak..the point is no matter whos in net we most score more then 2 goals..

this goalie sh*t is the dumbs think and really show how little guys know about hockey..everynight we lose a group of people blame our goalies halak or price..once in a while i would understand a goaile cost us a game but every lose...if you are one of these guys..then your on glue, hockey is a team sport...

Geez, guys, take a look at the goals:

First goal: Giveaway by Pouliot, perfect shot by Zack Smith off the post and in top shelf stick side. Let me repeat... PERFECT SHOT.

Second goal: Giveaway by Markov, point shot by Ottawa. There is a rebound in the slot, but more than that... DANIEL ALFREDSSON OF ALL PEOPLE IS ALL ALONE IN THE SLOT. Markov is late in picking him up, no forwards help out. Of all people, the team lets Alfredsson go unchecked. Easy tap in.

Third goal: Point shot on the ice deflects off Plekanec's stick and goes high.

Boy, Price was sure awful. We're essentially crucifying him for one bad rebound off a turnover.