Laraque is done

BCHabnut

The point would have been taking out Redden and giving him a beating. Then come Saturday night he wouldn't do it again. Watch Saturday, the rage will be running around and they'll need Price or someone to stand up for the team mates.

It's called punishment, you decrease someone's behavior by doing something aversive to them.

But why punish him for fighting a willing combatant? Redden did nothing to deserve retribution. Pouliot and Lapierre tried to jump on Lisin, Redden pulled Pouliot off of him. They pushed each other and decided to fight. There was no reason to go after Redden.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few teams in the NHL can afford to waste a roster spot to have a horribly-talented goon who's only role is to play 3min per game and fight some other goon in a fight agreed upon before the game even began. Factor in that the CH play in the East, and there is even less rationale to work with. Maybe if he played in the West, constantly against Minny/Anaheim/Calgary his services might be useful, but I still think he would just embarass himself more often than not.

Guys like BGL, Boogaard, Peters, they are relics of a game that is passing them by, being replaced with the Carcillos/Otts/Rypiens of the game that can log regular 3rd/4th line shifts, score the odd time, and not be a complete liability on the ice. Do you ever watch when two legit HW fight each other? More often than not the outcome is predictable and no one really gets "hyped up" over the decision. Far more lift is given to the team when one of their middleweights decides to throw down and lay a beating on some big D-man (ie: watch Rypien vs. Gill).

BGL has been useless since his signing, except for a possible handful of one-off situations that certainly weren't the norm, and on top of which he pops off to the media every chance he gets about how he somehow deserves to play MORE.

Good riddance IMHO.

It stops the Rangers from running around. I'm telling you, watch Saturday night. That is how the Rangers play, with no deterrent, they will continue to push the habs around.

Boogard can play. He gets more then 2 shifts per period.

It stops the Rangers from running around. I'm telling you, watch Saturday night. That is how the Rangers play, with no deterrent, they will continue to push the habs around.

BGL was never really a deterrent anyways, he played every 4th game and maybe 1-2 shifts per period even when he was dressed.

Moen is there only middle weight. They need some more that's for sure.

I know, i am saying that is what Martin and BG wanted to him to do. I'm glad he is gone. Maybe they can add a few tough guys to the line up.

Price, Pouliot and Gorges aren't really known for throwing punches.

made my day...welcome to the real world...you get hired to do a job... you dont listen to your boss, and dont work well with co-works....you dont do the job your told to do...... your fired...

Boogard can play. He gets more then 2 shifts per period.

The Rangers would have done that with or without Laraque, so the point is kind of moot. I guess that's the point: Laraque failed to be the deterrant the Habs were paying him to be.

To be perfectly honest, I thought the Habs were at their toughest back in 2006 as a team, when Gainey was coaching. That was when Kovalev went after Tucker; they had Rivet, Souray, Bouillon and Komisarek willing on D; up front they had Begin and Murray willing to go as well. Bob is right: it is about teammates sticking up for each other. If they do that, it doesn't matter as much if you have a heavyweight. But guys have to do their part: if you have a heavyweight, he has to be as willing as guys like the aforementioned group were.

Wonder what it would take to pluck Neil from Ottawa.

They signed him to a nasty contract extension last summer. No thank you.

That's ridiculous, the guy is an enforcer, he is being brought in to fight. You really think if the team were to go out and sign Daniel Carcillo or Todd Fedoruk that Gainey would have to have a sit down and say... "listen, before you sign, I need to make sure you understand what the job of being an NHL enforcer is?"

Hmm, I unno, he might actually be onto something here. Bob should probably do the same with the dmen about making passes out of their own zone and talk to the goalies to see if the understand that they need to stop pucks.

I don't think it was the number of fights, it was he wouldn't fight when he needed to, or wouldn't stand up for his team mates when needed.

You can't have Pouliot fighting people. Laraque should have taken a number, went after that person. Regardless of the instigator, Martin and BG said as much.

D'Agi for Cote straight up.

Not sure why so many people want to make a trade with Philly. They fleece the Habs in almost every trade with them and their team is actually under performing the Habs. The Flyers are a team that could possibly have more head cases with bad attitude/work ethic than the Habs. Let some other team be a sucker.

No clue why you would want BGL to go after Redden. Pouliot definitely won the fight, and had he landed 1 of those wild lefts he most likely would have decisively ended the fight. I'm more impessed with Pouliot's fighting than Lats, and I've only seen him in 1 fight.

This is direct proof of Gainey's weakness as a GM. He should have followed our previous method that we used with Kordic. Why not just trade Laraque to Toronto for Kessel. I guess it must be due to the no movement clause. :glare:

rotflmfao. Thx!

Dont underestimate Moen though, he has a crazy ass haymaker that pops the other guys helmet right off when he connects with it. Moen hasnt done that yet with the Habs but he did it quite a few times with the Ducks. I'm sure its only a matter of time. When does Komi get to push Moen again? ^_^

I keep saying that is my point, Laraque didn't stand up for his team mates and Martin and BG didn't want him.

It does have to be a pack mentality, Only Laraque, Mara and Moen really throw them. They need more players who hit hard, take people otu and fight. They also need 1 guy who wins more then he loses when fighting.

I can't remember the last habs to do that. 93 i guess

Yes, let's blame Georges for the Rangers style of play. He should have been able to deter them in that whopping 3:18 of ice time he got. He was really used as a great deterrent when he played just two shifts once things got chippy. He came onto the ice for a 29 second shift after the Gorges vs. Avery fight, and there would have been no point for him to go after the guys on the ice (Drury, Callahan, Christiansen, Staal, and Roszival). After things got really chippy after the Pouliot vs. Redden fight, Laraque didn't get onto the ice again until there were 4 minutes left in the game and he was on for all of 12 seconds. I still say there was no reason to go after Redden, but even if there were, how was Laraque supposed to do anything about it from the bench?

He was really used as a great deterrent when he played just two shifts once things got chippy. He came onto the ice for a 29 second shift after the Gorges vs. Avery fight, and there would have been no point for him to go after the guys on the ice (Drury, Callahan, Christiansen, Staal, and Roszival).

He did go after them in his first shift back. He made two body checks that were borderline boarding calls, then he tried another two but was unable to keep up and ended up denting the boards. Then, after 30 seconds, he was dog tired and took 42.8 seconds to make it to the bench. By that time, I'm sure his anger was as spent as his energy.

I said the same thing about no ice time but other posters said he was out there right after the fight, and a couple of shifts after. Also Martin apparantly told him to go stand up for your team mates.

Moen needs a few more players like himself on the line. That's when he is the most effective.

I agree with that. I've been thinking for a while that he needs a big, physical centre to compliment him. 3-8 years ago, people would've just traded for Chris Gratton to do that after he had wore out his welcome in yet another city. I would've loved if we had signed Manny Malhotra over the summer, actually.

Pack mentality with an alpha dog would be nice. Unfortunately, Laraque looked the part of alpha dog but didn't embrace the team aspect part that lesser pugilists like Langdon had.

I said the same thing about no ice time but other posters said he was out there right after the fight, and a couple of shifts after. Also Martin apparantly told him to go stand up for your team mates.

He got one 29 second shift immediately after the first fight and then wasn't on the ice again until there were 4 minutes left in the game. None of the Rangers on the ice after the first fight were worth fighting to make a point. They weren't the ones running around causing trouble like Avery. If they wanted Georges to go after Avery or Redden, then they should have put him on the ice against those two.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Maybe Martin benched him because he didn't fight someone. According to some press people Dreger i believe have said that Martin on several occaisions told him to get otu thtere and stand up for team mates and he didn't

Message should be pretty clear by now: "You wont listen to the coach? Buh-bye!"

This has been a consistent and ongoing theme within the organization from Day One. S. Kostitsyn seemed unresponsive: to the minors. Latendresse wouldn't follow orders: traded. Laraque, presumably, was on the wrong side of Martin: gonzo.

I also suspect that GL was grumbling in the dressing room or otherwise sending toxic signals within the team. Gainey used the word 'distraction' in the press conference, and he also said this move would improve the 'focus' and 'spirit' of the team; and I think the most plausible reason for this action is that the coach/GM felt they couldn't just let Laraque sit there, probably because he was becoming a problem. However, this is inference on my part. But I believe that Gainey is taking a zero-tolerance policy to ANY of the kinds of shenanigans associated with last season's bunch.

It's a meaningless move in pure hockey terms. Laraque clearly was on the downside as an enforcer anyway.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Maybe Martin benched him because he didn't fight someone. According to some press people Dreger i believe have said that Martin on several occaisions told him to get otu thtere and stand up for team mates and he didn't

As I mentioned earlier, this is something that Gainey should have discussed with Georges before he signed him. He has never been the type of guy to just go out on the ice and pick a fight with someone. He's always been a fighter vs. fighter type guy. If Bob signed him to go after people any time the coach told him to, then Bob's the one to blame. That has never been his role and it should have been clear it never would be. The man hasn't taken an instigator since 2001, and that was against Jody Shelley, another heavyweight. Why would the Canadiens sign him with the expectation to jump non-willing combatants?

Edited by Fanpuck33