Markov calls out Price

richer44

from TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307852

Not sure if this is overblown or not but the last thing we need is Team Price and Team Markov. That can't do anything good for the team chemistry.

Ya, I think it's good to have a veteran call out a young player that doesn't appear to be playing with heart. It shouldn't divide a room. The young person should really look within and ask himself how true the statement is. I don't expect much to come of this.

Oh, GOD. Not this kind of crap AGAIN... :puke: Can we have one drama-free season in Montreal? Please?

This can go in two ways. One, it's just an example of something that happens on all professional sports teams - teammates challenging one another to be better and not being afraid to be confrontational to make the point. All leaders do this. John Ferguson even dumped a pitcher of beer over a teammate's head when the guy wasn't 'acting as a team player' in his estimation. I also chalked up the little Lapierre/Cammalleti set-to to the same phenomenon.

On the other hand, there are reasons to be more concerned:

1. Price seems generally moody and fragile. If he feels put upon by his teammates, that could definitively sour him on Montreal. *If* he is the 'thoroughbred' future star he's supposed to be, we don't want that. Indeed, even if he's not, we still don't want that.

2. The signs have been everywhere since last season: this team had a really deep, fundamerntal rot within the team culture. We've seen the new order of coaches and players in conflict with the hangovers from last year (the Kostitysns, Lats, Lapierre), and while this may just be an 'old guard/new guard' tension, probably part of it has to do with the clash of newcomers with a genuine work ethic and winning attitude being frustrated with the bad habits of the old. It is disturbing to think that Price is also part of this: an entire generation of Habs' picks contaminated by a rotten team culture. It's as if the old team was rotten all the way to its core.

3. Internal divsion: always bad for a team (and might explain this team's erratic performances, looking strong some nights, not showing up on others). Especially bad when it goes public. In this tight a race, we cannot afford these distractions.

UGH. :puke: :puke:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

On the other hand Dave Stubbs insinuated that this kind of thing happens all the time and sometimes reporters - who sometimes rarely even go near the team - want to be bigger than the game. Still, a little drama is fun. Maybe they'll get into it on the ice!

Maybe Markov was just campaigning for captain!

Who do you think would have taken Price's side? Gorges - best friend. Lapierre? Everytime I see practice footage, Gorges and Laps are always together. One of Metro or Moen - I'm guessing Metro. Only because they're against each other and Moen works his ass off and was part of one of the most effective lines in the last decade, and I can't see him going against the hard-working crew.

This is kinda fun! We can divide the room ourselves!

I'm a fan of both players, but I think Markov is in the wrong on this. Both goalies aren't facing 19 shots a night and letting in 3-4 goals. They are facing an avg of something like 35 shots a night a lot of times into the 40s. Goaltending continues to remain the least problem of this team. If more goals were put in the net by the habs, this wouldn't even be an issue.

What I would like to know is if this story is legit. Who was the person who leaked it? It would have had to have been someone in the organization who witnessed it firsthand.

I just don't buy it. Markov appears to be more of a lead by example guy, now all of a sudden he's calling guys out? If it had of been reported that it was a guy like Cammy, or Gomez who said something it would sound more believable. Especially since Carey actually gave them a chance to get to overtime that game.

What I would like to know is if this story is legit. Who was the person who leaked it? It would have had to have been someone in the organization who witnessed it firsthand.

I just don't buy it. Markov appears to be more of a lead by example guy, now all of a sudden he's calling guys out? If it had of been reported that it was a guy like Cammy, or Gomez who said something it would sound more believable. Especially since Carey actually gave them a chance to get to overtime that game.

I'd be surprised if this story wasn't true. It isn't a big deal though - I don't think there's a big Team Price/Team Halak split in the dressing room.

It's nice to see that Markov was the one to make the comment at least.

Based on the quote, this is a non issue - it's related to on-ice performance/dedication, and I'm not sure if it was warranted, but this is what vets are supposed to do, in limited doses... Price'll be fine with a little criticism, he's not Roy yet. The only thing this really proves is that Markov is ready to be our next captain.

For what it's worth Laraque said on OTR he would be surprised it this actually did happen.

Edit: should say He would be surprised IF this actually happened.

Edited by han_dyl

Well, this helps explain why Price has sat out the last 3 games in a row over the past 7 days.

I agree with kaos. I just hope that Price responds with a big game, and the rest of the team backs him up on the ice.

Finally somebody shows some heart. Way to go Andrei Markov. My faith is somewhat restored. Hopefully this lights a fire under Carey Prices ass. Play him tonight Martin. Betcha Price records a shutout.
Edited by habscout

Doesn't anybody find it odd that Markov would call out Price in a game in which his pinch

was one of the reasons for the odd man rush that caused the winning goal?

What's next? Price slept with Gionta's wife and now he needs to be traded?

The media in Montreal is ridiculous. Don't plan any Cup parades anytime soon. The team is a

sideshow to sell newspapers and garner web hits.

George Laraque said it may be true? Yeah, that guy has ZERO agenda.

And how absurd is it singling out one player for heart? This team has played like a tin man for a calendar year.

######ing sideshow.

Edited by Wamsley01

Doesn't anybody find it odd that Markov would call out Price in a game in which his pinch

was one of the reasons for the odd man rush that caused the winning goal?

What's next? Price slept with Gionta's wife and now he needs to be traded?

The media in Montreal is ridiculous. Don't plan any Cup parades anytime soon. The team is a

sideshow to sell newspapers and garner web hits.

George Laraque said it may be true? Yeah, that guy has ZERO agenda.

And how absurd is it singling out one player for heart? This team has played like a tin man for a calendar year.

######ing sideshow.

Laraque said he does not think it's true.

sideshow to sell newspapers and garner web hits

Report is from Team990, a radio. So forget about newspapers and web hits in this case.

Bah, probably overblown.. if anything Markov was probably telling him to stop sulking around or complaining about every friggin goal.. we have all seen the looks he gives the D when they make a mistake...

I don't think that is really calling a guy out or blaming things on him... For all we know he then told Gionta to grow a pair... of inches.. to his legs... lol

Report is from Team990, a radio. So forget about newspapers and web hits in this case.

Considering I don't listen to the Team990 and have seen it on 10 websites and TSN as well,

I think you can't forget about those outlets.

They reported it with no confirmation, making them just as liable.

Edited by Wamsley01

tsn was also quick to point out that on most nhl teams defenders and goalies always fight about something at some point... they are together for like 8 months of the year. they also noted that ina place like nashville something like this doesnt even get reported but in "media crazy montreal" every story because an embroiled controversy.

i hardly think andrei "the quiet giant " markov called out price on heart after a game he tried fighting st louis goon jannsen. it was more likely a bickering match after a loss!

I just wish they fought that hard on the ice.

amen

for starters, can markov speak english well enough to pull the words together to make this statement?

Markov should never be considered for the C again, this is not how you lead your team through difficult times, target a goalie who faces more shots than anyone in the league and plays behind the leagues worst D, if Markov has an issue with his effort and is a true leader, he should take Price aside and talk to him and try and understand what the issue is, not call the kid on the floor in front of the team.

Lastly, Markov IMHO should shut his yap and focus on being the first guy in the corner on a dump in, while this would be nice and a first for him. He needs to worry about his play, what he's doing in the D zone, he is pathetic, one of the softest Dmen in the NHL but typical from most (Not all) European D-men, let the defender go into the corner than nail him with a rugged STICK check, what a joke, CP sees this from the net and he knows Markov is a wuss. He should do to him what he thought he could do to Cam Jansen (CP would have gotten killed, just like every other habs vs Jansen)

It's not CP fault this team sucks and will continue to suck for years to come until the fire BG and Timmons, two complete morons when it comes to scouting/drafting. I am not defending CP b/c he continues to disappoint but when your entire team sucks, 1 guy alone will not make the difference.

MTL should have traded CP to Vancouver in the offseason for Luongo, why they did not try and make that deal is beyond me, bring'em both home.

Edited by nyckdkool

From Jacques Demers in L'Antichambre yesterday. He said he called a good source in Tampa last night and asked for what happens.

He told on air that at the end of the OT, Price smashed his stick on the board and yelled "Who made the mistake?" (Markov it was). Then Markov said something like "You're getting paid to stop the puck, so stop the puck and shut up."

Demers also said that the split locker room was not true at all.

Take it for what it worths, but it is from Jacques Demers...