Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well, everything with Montreal is hypothetical right now...There's plenty of glaring holes (esp. at centre) that can't be addressed directly through free agency since neither Gomez or Drury are coming to Montreal.

Part of me is disappointed we didn't land Briere. He'd have brought a lot of excitement. Eight years is insane, but then again, Arnott's contract looked insane at the time - now it looks reasonably decent. Something to bear in mind.

However, July 1 is not the be all and end all. Bob has tons of time to make moves to get the BIG centreman we deserve and need if we are to make a Cup run in the next 2-3 years. Really, a lot hinges on San Jose signing Drury and thus making Marleau available.

Interesting burbles from the Souray camp. Still, I'd have liked to see Schneider inked to a short-term contract. It would have been great to have a link to the last Habs Cup team and someone to bring along the young D-men. Oh well.

Bob, sign a D. Pleeeease.

Radek Dvorak Signed with Florida panthers :o lol

then Scott Gomez according to Spector its all done just tsn didnt put it on their sit yet so i unno what to think about that one.

Radek Dvorak Signed with Florida panthers :o lol

then Scott Gomez according to Spector its all done just tsn didnt put it on their sit yet so i unno what to think about that one.

I think Spector jumped the gun on that one. He says it is from WFAN radio but their website says nothing.

I think Spector jumped the gun on that one. He says it is from WFAN radio but their website says nothing.

ah well then i unno thats why i said i unno what to think about it

I'd also like to add, that although I'm relieved the Habs didn't sign him for the deal Philly offered, I'm also a little bit disgusted with Briere. Here he had a chance to play in a Montreal, the French-Canadian metropolis, and wear the CH and become part of that magnificent line of star francophone Habs, and all that - the chance to live out, and help fulfill, the Myth, one of the great myths of pro sports. The Habs offered him HUGE dollars and a deal that conformed precisely to what he said he wanted. But no, he'd rather be in Philadelphia signed to a deal that everybody knows is stupid.

It's his life, but the next time someone bitches about the Habs' supposed lack of Quebecois talent, I hope they remember the soulless decision Briere made today.

It's his life, but the next time someone bitches about the Habs' supposed lack of Quebecois talent, I hope they remember the soulless decision Briere made today.

They wont infact they have already forgotton. They will also find someway to balme Bob for him not signing by not offering him a 15 year deal worth 150 millon with a NMC. ;)

I'd also like to add, that although I'm relieved the Habs didn't sign him for the deal Philly offered, I'm also a little bit disgusted with Briere. Here he had a chance to play in a Montreal, the French-Canadian metropolis, and wear the CH and become part of that magnificent line of star francophone Habs, and all that - the chance to live out, and help fulfill, the Myth, one of the great myths of pro sports. The Habs offered him HUGE dollars and a deal that conformed precisely to what he said he wanted. But no, he'd rather be in Philadelphia signed to a deal that everybody knows is stupid.

remember NMC also means he can tell the Philly GM I want out and I want to land in this or that Team... I don't really think Briere is staying in Philly! at least not the whole 8 year campaign

I wouldn't call the Philly fans dumb. I know some people in Philly and you'd be surprised how well they know their hockey.

And suprisingly enough the Flyers are the only team in Philly that do not get the boo birds. The Philly faithful give a lot of slack to the Flyers they absolutley love them.

They wont infact they have already forgotton. They will also find someway to balme Bob for him not signing by not offering him a 15 year deal worth 150 millon with a NMC. ;)

I'm relieved we didn't get him at what he went at (actually I'm relieved we didn't get him period, I don't think he's the missing piece for us at all), particularly the NMC. I wouldn't want to touch a long term contract with an NMC with a 10 foot pole... Remember how much everyone was freaking out about another year of Sammy for 3.5 million? Or 2 more years of Kovy at 4.5 million? that's 1 or 2 years and we thought we were handicapped... Well, it's NOTHING next to this contract... :puke: :puke:

remember NMC also means he can tell the Philly GM I want out and I want to land in this or that Team... I don't really think Briere is staying in Philly! at least not the whole 8 year campaign

but also remember that with a contract like that if things sour another team may not want him at that kind of price tag and length. He either hit pay dirt or will be a goat... only time will tell.

Wow nicely done by the flyers. They'll challenge next season the nordiques record for best improvement in consecutive years

Actually teams with huge turnovers sometimes struggle...c.f. the bruins last year

THat's what pisses me off. The french media go on and on on why the habs don't sign,draft or trade for french canadian stars. Bottem line is the majority of them don't want to play in montreal.

Other then St. patrick, the only recent french canadian that wasn't a bust in montreal was Damphouse. Turgeon was a bust and wanted out. The media has been printing their wet dreams of Vinny (i'd love to have him in montreal as well), all he had to do was wait a year if he WANTED to play for montreal, instead he choose to re-sign with Tampa. Luongo, could have waited last year before signing long-term to sign with Vancouver (this is before it became appperent that Price can become the GUY in montreal), but choose to sign long-term with Vancouver.

This year Briere passed and some moron from Le Presse or RDS or that idiot Bergeron will probably be all over Gainey for signing Briere to a ridiculously long deal like Philly did. I wouldn't have minded paying Briere $6.5M if had a long-track record of putting up the numbers and being injury free. I wouldn't have even minded signing him for $6.5M for a 3 year term. But 8 years??? That is just plain stupid for a guy who has put up one 90 point season and has had some injury problems and is also small when all of the other current centres in montreal are also small..

I'm hoping that in 5 years, the habs will have a chance at Crosby, but when you consider the way he gets treated by habs fans in Montreal and the way the media is in Montreal, why would he want the headache???? why would anyone???

I just hope Latendressse, who is the current flavour of the month for the French Media, continues to progress and improve and isn't ripped by the French media if he fails to live up to their expectations.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Eklund says the Habs are the favourites fro Smyth.

DON'T SAY THAT! TAKE IT BACK *KNOCKS ON WOOD SO HARD HE BREAKS THE DESK*

EVERY TIME EKLUND MAKES A PREDICTION, IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!

AND A KITTEN DIES!!!

DON'T SAY THAT! TAKE IT BACK *KNOCKS ON WOOD SO HARD HE BREAKS THE DESK*

EVERY TIME EKLUND MAKES A PREDICTION, IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!

AND A KITTEN DIES!!!

He has been correct a lot today. But I understand where you are coming from.

Edited by JMMR