Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'd also like to add, that although I'm relieved the Habs didn't sign him for the deal Philly offered, I'm also a little bit disgusted with Briere. Here he had a chance to play in a Montreal, the French-Canadian metropolis, and wear the CH and become part of that magnificent line of star francophone Habs, and all that - the chance to live out, and help fulfill, the Myth, one of the great myths of pro sports. The Habs offered him HUGE dollars and a deal that conformed precisely to what he said he wanted. But no, he'd rather be in Philadelphia signed to a deal that everybody knows is stupid.

It's his life, but the next time someone bitches about the Habs' supposed lack of Quebecois talent, I hope they remember the soulless decision Briere made today.

Yeah....and lets not forget the bashing Briere would have taken when he didn't lead the Habs to the playoffs, or when he couldn't score more than 65 points in a season.

Philly just f**ked themselves for many years to come with that contract.

Edited by kaos

I must admit that I wouldn't complain if we got both Drury and Gomez, but in all honesty just because they're 2 of the biggest names available in the UFA pool does not necessarily make those two specific players worth 7+ mil each. Obviously if you want to pick up one of those players you're going to have to spend the big bucks, but Bob usually waits it out (good or bad I don't really know). If we were still to pick up someone like Kariya or another top player who has not been hyped up, for cheaper then I don't think Sather or any other GM is any more "magical" than Bob. But we'll just have to wait and see. Only the first day, and it's not even over!

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx

Karyia will sign in a souther US market.

u cant be for sure, when he signed in nashville ppl had him rumored goin everywhere els in the nhl other then there and thats where he ended up.

I decided to check out Hockeybuzz/Eklund

For whats it worth he claims Montreal is the frontrunner for Smyth

Another columnist claims Montreal, Washington and Stl are after Zubrus

according to howard berger

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8380

"As of 9:45 p.m. EDT tonight, a good source tells me Ryan Smyth has narrowed his list of teams to four -- Colorado, Calgary, Montreal and the Islanders. The Canadiens have the most tempting offer on the table at $39 million over six years, which means Smyth would be guaranteed to make $6.5 million in the final season of the contract at age 37. Not a bad number. But, neither Smyth nor his wife are said to be happy with playing in Montreal. Smyth reportedly told his agent, Don Meehan, that he didn't like the Maple Leafs' depth, and does not believe the Canadiens or the Islanders will be strong enough teams in the immediate future. The Islanders have a five-year, $32.5 million deal ($6.5 million/season) on the table."

oh welll surprise to surprise to hear a rumour about a player not enjoying the thought of playing in montreal hahaha... montreal needs to do some PR work... but even then the bad taste about playing in montreal may indeed linger for many more years to come.

Would Nylander actually want to come here? Or would the sight of snow and media criticism make him moan and run for Florida or California or some other wonderful place?

Hockey players are making me sick today. Smyth and Pronger's wife friends? Whipped much, lads?

according to howard berger

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8380

"As of 9:45 p.m. EDT tonight, a good source tells me Ryan Smyth has narrowed his list of teams to four -- Colorado, Calgary, Montreal and the Islanders. The Canadiens have the most tempting offer on the table at $39 million over six years, which means Smyth would be guaranteed to make $6.5 million in the final season of the contract at age 37. Not a bad number. But, neither Smyth nor his wife are said to be happy with playing in Montreal. Smyth reportedly told his agent, Don Meehan, that he didn't like the Maple Leafs' depth, and does not believe the Canadiens or the Islanders will be strong enough teams in the immediate future. The Islanders have a five-year, $32.5 million deal ($6.5 million/season) on the table."

oh welll surprise to surprise to hear a rumour about a player not enjoying the thought of playing in montreal hahaha... montreal needs to do some PR work... but even then the bad taste about playing in montreal may indeed linger for many more years to come.

There really isnt any PR the habs can do. There problem is the DAMN FRENCH media. they're on the right track with Gainey, but are in a no win situation with rags like Le Presse and the idiiot analysts on RDS who would rather lose with French Canadiens then win with no french canadiens.

I just don't believe the rumor that BG offered a 6 years 39 million dollars contract to Smyth. It's just too much for a 32 years old... Some GMs are desperate and make deals that they will regret in a few years...

Would Nylander actually want to come here?

- Rumors have him signed by Edmonton.

Is there any good D still advailable?

It's a good thing we didn't signed any big name for long temr big money... because these huge signings will mean more RFAs in arbitration, and at that time BG will have plenty of money left to make offers or cap space for a trade.