Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

During an intermission in the Flames and Wild game on TSN, Dreger (I think it was him) reported that Pierre Gauthier was at the game and that this wasn't his first time this year he was seen at a Flames game. The panel suggested the possible deal could be Tanguay for Ryder.

The reason why this deal makes sense, the panel said, was that Ryder is a UFA at the end of the year so it will clear space to sign Phaneuf and/or Huselius. As well, Calgary gets a guy who has scored back to back 30 goal seasons and could regain that form playing for the Flames.

I don't know if I like this deal for Montreal, as Tangauy only has 37 points (11g - 27a) this season (well below his regular pace) and is making over $5M with another year left on his contract. Yeah, it would be nice to add another consistent scorer to the lineup (who can also play good D) but making that much money when we are so close to the cap as it is and while we are trying to resign key young players may not be a good idea. Furthermore, we probably couldn't trade for or sign a star in the offseason.

Thoughts? Feelings?

During an intermission in the Flames and Wild game on TSN, Dreger (I think it was him) reported that Pierre Gauthier was at the game and that this wasn't his first time this year he was seen at a Flames game. The panel suggested the possible deal could be Tanguay for Ryder.

The reason why this deal makes sense, the panel said, was that Ryder is a UFA at the end of the year so it will clear space to sign Phaneuf and/or Huselius. As well, Calgary gets a guy who has scored back to back 30 goal seasons and could regain that form playing for the Flames.

I don't know if I like this deal for Montreal, as Tangauy only has 37 points (11g - 27a) this season (well below his regular pace) and is making over $5M with another year left on his contract. Yeah, it would be nice to add another consistent scorer to the lineup (who can also play good D) but making that much money when we are so close to the cap as it is and while we are trying to resign key young players may not be a good idea. Furthermore, we probably couldn't trade for or sign a star in the offseason.

Thoughts? Feelings?

No, we are scouting Phaneuf and/or Huselius to sign in the off season.

No, we are scouting Phaneuf and/or Huselius to sign in the off season.

I can see them scouting Huselius to sign in the off season but I can't see them making an offer for Phaneuf. He will be an RFA and the Habs would have to give up too many picks for a position they don't need. Sure he's a great player and one of the best yound dman but we have a good and young defence as it is and we still have to sign Komisarek in the near future. We already have Markov at over $5M for the next 3 years, Hamrlik at over $5M for the next 4 years, and then we'll have to resign Komisarek and he'll likely get a lot of money too. In other words, we can't have 4 blue liners making that much money.

on team 990 Francois gagnon also said that gordie roberts(another habs pro scout) was there as well as there was scout form calgary watching Habs games. I dont know if he ment that scouts were following them or just that they hung out at the bell.

mind you last year scouts were seen often at Wild's game and nothing happened so lets not get carried away.

Gauthier and Roberts were also seen in Nashville (when the Flames played there). So it seems that teh Habs' scouts have been following the Flames for the past few days!

Tanguay fro Ryder, i'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat. We all know why Tanguay isn'T producing as much in Calgary this year. The Reason is called (Mike Keenan). Look at Tanguay's career, he has 4 season with 77 points or more(including the last three) Get Tanguay away from Keenan and watch him produce (he's an assured point per game player) Not to mention he's just now hitting the prime of his career. The bonus is that there's only one more year left on his contract at 5.3 million per year.

Like I said before, Smolinski(2 million$) won'T be there next year. Neither will Brisebois(700,000$) and you'd also lose Ryder's 3 million$ salary(in the trade). There you go. You now have an extra 5.7 million$ to pay for Tanguay's 5.3 million$ salary.

I'd even be willing to sweeten the pot a little, by offering one of the following along with Ryder: Gorges, Halak, Chipchura, Locke, Grabovsky.

Edited by Habsfan

Gauthier and Roberts were also seen in Nashville (when the Flames played there). So it seems that teh Habs' scouts have been following the Flames for the past few days!

Tanguay fro Ryder, i'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat. We all know why Tanguay isn'T producing as much in Calgary this year. The Reason is called (Mike Keenan). Look at Tanguay's career, he has 4 season with 77 points or more(including the last three) Get Tanguay away from Keenan and watch him produce (he's an assured point per game player) Not to mention he's just now hitting the prime of his career. The bonus is that there's only one more year left on his contract at 5.3 million per year.

Like I said before, Smolinski(2 million$) won'T be there next year. Neither will Brisebois(700,000$) and you'd also lose Ryder's 3 million$ salary(in the trade). There you go. You now have an extra 5.7 million$ to pay for Tanguay's 5.3 million$ salary.

I'd even be willing to sweeten the pot a little, by offering one of the following along with Ryder: Gorges, Halak, Chipchura, Locke, Grabovsky.

2 guys Gainey would not trade for anythng besides a game breaker.

Yeah, some will say this rumour doesn't make sense. Vis-à-vis; why would Calgary move Tanguay for a UFA risk in Ryder? BUT, why did Burke trade Andy MacDonald to St. Louis for Doug Weight? So he could afford Coery Perry. Maybe Calgary is doing a similar deal to retain Phaneuf.

Yeah, some will say this rumour doesn't make sense. Vis-à-vis; why would Calgary move Tanguay for a UFA risk in Ryder? BUT, why did Burke trade Andy MacDonald to St. Louis for Doug Weight? So he could afford Coery Perry. Maybe Calgary is doing a similar deal to retain Phaneuf.

Suter is too good a GM to let that deal happen.....Tanguay is twice the player Ryder is, lets not kid ourselves here

Suter is too good a GM to let that deal happen.....Tanguay is twice the player Ryder is, lets not kid ourselves here
True, we would have to sweeten the deal I'm sure. I was simply illustrating that the Flames might be looking at a "MacDonald for Weight" style solution.

Tanguay isn't exactly the kind of player we are looking for, but I'd definitely deal Ryder for him. We'd have to throw in some prospects/picks, and I know Gainey wouldn't want to let go of the valuable ones like McDonagh, Chipchura, Halak, Gorges etc (Price is a no-brainer). If we gave them something Grabovski and a 3rd rounder that would be acceptable, although Gainey doesn't like parting with 3rd rounders. Hell, we can through them any of those players that are useless to us, give them Locke and Milroy too.

Another plus with getting Tanguay is that he's signed for one more year, and only one more year. After next season is when a lot of our contracts end and we'll be deciding who to keep and who to let go.

You know what, i think that the habs might be able to trade Ryder for Tanguay straight up. Why you might ask? First of all, we all know that Tanguay is the black sheep in the Calgary dressing room. keenan doesn'T like him and it shows. Second, Bob would be doing Calgary a favor by trading Ryder for Tanguay. the Flames would be saving over 2 million $ per year on this trade. That is 2 million$ for this season and 5 million$ for next season that the Flames desperately need to re-sign Phaneuf and Huselius.

As much as i'd like to see this deal become reality, i'll believe it when I'll see it. Let's not forget that every time Bob made a trade, it usually came out of left field. Why would we get any hints before the trade happened this time???

Edited by Habsfan

I wonder what his username on this site is or if he is just a reader.

Bulis the Habbie or Wamsley01. HAHA!!!! Bob Mckenzie beats his wife when the habs lose. :lol: .

I don't know, I like Tanguay but 5 mil? Isn't there another option out there for us. Something a little more YES, THINGS ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

5m for Tanguay seems steep...but might be the real spark to bring Koivu / Higgins to life; allow us to move S. Kost to bring his creativity - and his grit - to the third line to provide more scoring punch there (him with Latendresse, plus a good 2-way ctr like Lapierre).

Plus, Tanguay is only on for one more season; and with Koivu and Kovy expiring then, we'll have the room for decisions about re-signing.

If they are looking for scoring, Grabovski might do better in the West anyway. Plus he and Ryder would be cheap; let them go hard after Huselius and Phaneuf; and probably very re-sign-able if they were interested.

It actually does make sense as a salary dump for the Flames, prepping to sign their big names next season, as Mackenzie suggests. Since most teams aren't going to give up stellar prospects for Tanguay, who I don't believe is perceived to be a 'difference maker' of a player, you might as well move him for a guy who can still help you down the stretch and could be re-signed for less money than Tanguay. (And if Ryder thinks he's getting $5 mil next season, he needs to lay off the Screetch).

My concern is more with Tanguay's rep as a soft, inconsistent player (although looking at his numbers, they seem startlingly consistent - a PPG player to the letter). That sure doesn't fit the profile of the kind of character Gainey wants. The dough doesn't bug me too much, since I frankly doubt that very much of real value will be left on the UFA market this summer. Might as well spend it.

And there's the French factor. Who knows what effect that has, or will have. I actually do think that francophone players face a certain unjustified tendency to assume they're 'soft' in NHL circles. That could account for Tanguay's rep. And who knows, playing 'chez nous' might spur him to greater heights.

Anyway, as you say...if it's reported, Gainey doesn't do it. :huh:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Anyway, as you say...if it's reported, Gainey doesn't do it. :huh:

There were rumours about Hamrlik and Smolinski.

I agree about the French factor. Damn, it would make a lot of people happy to have Tanguay here. And 5 million isn't really that much, if we were getting Tanguay off the free agent market we'd pay him at least that. Our lines would look good with him here:

Tanguay Koivu Higgins

A Kost Plekanec Kovalev

S Kost Lapierre Latendresse

Dandenault Smolinski Begin

(Kostopolous)

Now that actually looks like we have two Number 1 lines, instead of having two second lines. Carbo might send S Kost down if he thinks we need more grit though.

I agree about the French factor. Damn, it would make a lot of people happy to have Tanguay here. And 5 million isn't really that much, if we were getting Tanguay off the free agent market we'd pay him at least that. Our lines would look good with him here:

Tanguay Koivu Higgins

A Kost Plekanec Kovalev

S Kost Lapierre Latendresse

Dandenault Smolinski Begin

(Kostopolous)

Now that actually looks like we have two Number 1 lines, instead of having two second lines. Carbo might send S Kost down if he thinks we need more grit though.

I agree. It's sooo obvious that Tanguay is not happy in Calgary that if he were to come here, he might play like a mad man for the rest of the season just to prove to keenan and the folks back in Calgary that they were wrong in not giving him a real chance(or trading him!) Plus, adding a guy like Tanguay to a duo like Higgins and Saku could be the spark that Saku might need to save this lower than average season he's currently having.

Then you could move S. Kostitsyn to the 3rd line along with Latendresse and Lapierre and the Habs could have 2 excellent scoring lines as well as a 3rd very good scoring line!

The other positive aspect about this trade is that there is only one more year leaft to Tanguay's contract. If he sucks too much next year, we don't have to re-sign him...we could just let hiim go!

I agree. It's sooo obvious that Tanguay is not happy in Calgary that if he were to come here, he might play like a mad man for the rest of the season just to prove to keenan and the folks back in Calgary that they were wrong in not giving him a real chance(or trading him!) Plus, adding a guy like Tanguay to a duo like Higgins and Saku could be the spark that Saku might need to save this lower than average season he's currently having.

Then you could move S. Kostitsyn to the 3rd line along with Latendresse and Lapierre and the Habs could have 2 excellent scoring lines as well as a 3rd very good scoring line!

The other positive aspect about this trade is that there is only one more year leaft to Tanguay's contract. If he sucks too much next year, we don't have to re-sign him...we could just let hiim go!

Agreed, it is no lose. It is not like there is a major impact forward out there that eating Tanguay's salary would stop the Habs from acquiring. Hossa will not sign here in all likelihood.

If Calgary does this it will be shades of the NBA where teams make deals like this all the time. Players with expiring contracts become very valuable for Cap reasons.

Although not as much in the NHL because not every team spends to the cap.

If this trade were to happen I would think we'd be giving up a prospect along

with Ryder. A prospect like Ryan White who plays in their backyard is a Sutter

and Keenan type of player. They also have a weakness in their farm system when

it comes to offensive dmen, we have lots of those.

Then theres the Daniel Ryder factor, one of their top prospects and Michael Ryders brother,

who retired for personal reasons. Should Michael rebound in Calgary, he might re-sign

for a reasonable amount and try to talk his brother out of reitirement.

For our Habs, this might make AKostitsyn a RW. I would assume Higgins and Tanguay

would be the top 2 LW's. And, I know what some of you are thinking. Why break up

the second line? Well, the Higgins,Plekanec and AKostitsyn line looked great to me

last year. Koivu and Kovalev always seemed to have good chemistry, add Tanguay

to that line and you might have something special.

Well actually you would want to keep the top line together. They have been pretty dominate all year. There is no chance Tanguay is coming to the habs any way.

If they did get Tanguay, you put him with koivu and little kosty.

Higgins would go back to the third where he belongs. I really like him as a player and he has above average work ethic, skills everywhere except one, which top line wingers have, he is not a gifted scorer.

You look for balance, this team finally has some

Tanguay was brought in Calgary to play with Iginla.

Problem there is that he had no chemistry with Iginla, not nearly physical enough and not build for a crash and bang

style of hockey that Calgary plays under Sutter/Keenan.

Pierre Gauthier was in Calgary to watch a game and both Ryder and Tanguay are on the trade block, it doesn't mean a match.

This deal would cut our money in order to get a good centre to feed our young good wingers.

Anyway on the left side we are much in business with Higins and A.Kost.

And for the numbers S.Kots would have similar numbers on a fullseason basis with more grit and character.

Tanguay was brought in Calgary to play with Iginla.

Problem there is that he had no chemistry with Iginla, not nearly physical enough and not build for a crash and bang

style of hockey that Calgary plays under Sutter/Keenan.

Pierre Gauthier was in Calgary to watch a game and both Ryder and Tanguay are on the trade block, it doesn't mean a match.

This deal would cut our money in order to get a good centre to feed our young good wingers.

Anyway on the left side we are much in business with Higins and A.Kost.

And for the numbers S.Kots would have similar numbers on a fullseason basis with more grit and character.

1. he'd replace Ryder, not Kost X 2 or Higgins... just Ryder

2. Can't he play center anyways? I think he was "converted" to the wings b/c he was behind Sakic and Forsberg...