Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

That takes us down to Earth a bit. I was just starting to imagine a Montreal team with a top six like this

Kosty Plex Kovy

Hossa Koivu Higgins

Damn, that looks a lot like TWO first lines, for a team that hasn't had ONE in almost a decade. And then the kid line of Lat Laps Kosty can score as well, we'd be intimidating.

Yep. This is what I would do, if possible. I would agree with Hossa for a 6M x 3 year deal.

Then I would try getting Ryder to sign a 2 year, 4 million dollar contract.

Then I would try to trade Ryder and Emelin/Fischer for Hossa. Both of those defenceman has top pairing potential but neither of them are sure bets by any means as they both have their own problems. I think this deal would be awesome for us because:

1) Hossa is a huge upgrade on Ryder, who isn't even in our regular line-up. It allows us to push everyone down the depth chart, have 3 scoring lines and then one hard-working crash-and-bang line that is working miracles for us right now.

2) We have enough good D prospects that we will be solid (or even better than solid) in that area for the next few years even without one of them.

I think Atlanta would do that (if they lose the next few games leading up to the deadline) because they don't want Hossa to leave and for their organization to be left with absolutely nothing after Kovalchuk, Lehtonen and Brian Little. This would give them a reclamation project in Ryder who might be able to get going again with Kovalchuk, it'll save them some money (which is a concern, when you're in a market like Atlanta) and it'll add a good prospect to their core which is really lacking.

I know Hossa has a history of slumping in the playoffs but what we have to remember is that tehse guys aren't just names in your NHL08 game, they are real people. A guy who often sucks under pressure can still have a good playoff run (e.g. Huet in our last shootout, against ATL) and a big-game player can still disappear in key moments (e.g. Kovalev in our final two games of last season). There is no law that says Hossa cannot score goals in the playoffs, he just has a bad track record. If he is motivated, he will score. And this is a guy who had 100 points last season. We can go far with him on our roster.

Yep. This is what I would do, if possible. I would agree with Hossa for a 6M x 3 year deal.

Then I would try getting Ryder to sign a 2 year, 4 million dollar contract.

Then I would try to trade Ryder and Emelin/Fischer for Hossa. Both of those defenceman has top pairing potential but neither of them are sure bets by any means as they both have their own problems. I think this deal would be awesome for us because:

1) Hossa is a huge upgrade on Ryder, who isn't even in our regular line-up. It allows us to push everyone down the depth chart, have 3 scoring lines and then one hard-working crash-and-bang line that is working miracles for us right now.

2) We have enough good D prospects that we will be solid (or even better than solid) in that area for the next few years even without one of them.

I think Atlanta would do that (if they lose the next few games leading up to the deadline) because they don't want Hossa to leave and for their organization to be left with absolutely nothing after Kovalchuk, Lehtonen and Brian Little. This would give them a reclamation project in Ryder who might be able to get going again with Kovalchuk, it'll save them some money (which is a concern, when you're in a market like Atlanta) and it'll add a good prospect to their core which is really lacking.

I know Hossa has a history of slumping in the playoffs but what we have to remember is that tehse guys aren't just names in your NHL08 game, they are real people. A guy who often sucks under pressure can still have a good playoff run (e.g. Huet in our last shootout, against ATL) and a big-game player can still disappear in key moments (e.g. Kovalev in our final two games of last season). There is no law that says Hossa cannot score goals in the playoffs, he just has a bad track record. If he is motivated, he will score. And this is a guy who had 100 points last season. We can go far with him on our roster.

The whole signing of these players to trade I agree with, I'm just not sure your proposal would be enough. If I was Waddel I'm looking at that and saying Bob? I'll take Ryder....you can keep Fischer, but I want Higgins, Emelin and and your 1st round pick. Keep in mind I've put myself in Waddell' s shoes for the moment.

So what does Gainey fire back to get the deal done.

On a side note, it's official according to Tsn that Florida is shopping Oiii Jokinen. I'm sure Gainey is in heavy talks with San jose for Marleau, Atlanta for Hossa and Florida for Jokinen. One of those three I think will be a Montreal Canadien by the end of the month. A lot of teams are probably waiting to see who signs Forsberg before bidding begins on the other three.

I personally would love Jokinen in Montreal. He would explode here and become twice the player he is.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

I don't think Wadell has all that much bargaining power. His team is going nowhere, he's very likely fired after the season (according to Burke, when a GM's in the final year of his contract, everyone offers him crap) and he cannot afford to lose Hossa for nothing. No team is going to offer a guy like Higgins for Hossa unless it's straight up, and even then, teams don't like to trade their young stars for old stars. Furthermore, at the deadline teams are looking specifically for guys who can help them make a good playoff push. That makes Hossa's bad playoff reputation even more important.

I think Ryder and Emelin could be enough. I would be willing to add some of our second-tier prospects and picks but nothing that's too important to us.

I think Ryder and Emelin could be enough. I would be willing to add some of our second-tier prospects and picks but nothing that's too important to us.

I really doubt that Ryder and Emelin would be enough. They would want at least a 1st round pick along with that; a struggling mid-level player and a totally unproven prospect are not nearly enough to land an elite forward.

And I also doubt that Hossa would sign for 3 years, for one, and that he'd take 6 million per season. I bet he'd want at least a 5 year contract, in which case he may take 6 million per season but would probably want more. Spezza, Gomez and Drury all get about 7 million per year for 5-7 years, and Hossa would probably be gunning for a similar deal.

I don't think Wadell has all that much bargaining power. His team is going nowhere, he's very likely fired after the season (according to Burke, when a GM's in the final year of his contract, everyone offers him crap) and he cannot afford to lose Hossa for nothing. No team is going to offer a guy like Higgins for Hossa unless it's straight up, and even then, teams don't like to trade their young stars for old stars. Furthermore, at the deadline teams are looking specifically for guys who can help them make a good playoff push. That makes Hossa's bad playoff reputation even more important.

I do hope your instincts are right. That would be a steal. Even though reports are telling nothing is happening. I'm sure Gainey is very active as we speak.......something big will happen in a few weeks for the Habs.

I do hope your instincts are right. That would be a steal. Even though reports are telling nothing is happening. I'm sure Gainey is very active as we speak.......something big will happen in a few weeks for the Habs.

Not the first time that we've been so certain of things going down...

IIRC when we got Kovalev it was "out of nowhere", there were tons of rumors floating around but no mention of Kovalev to Montreal (maybe Code/Ek reported it....but they also reported every other player in the league going to every other team :rolleyes: )

Not too many leaks come from the Habs (Bob)...but we all know that whatever team were dealing with might not run such a tight ship.

I'm sure Gainey is in heavy talks with San jose for Marleau, Atlanta for Hossa and Florida for Jokinen. One of those three I think will be a Montreal Canadien by the end of the month.

That's a pretty bold statement, I can't say I'd agree - I'd like it, but with Gainey I've gotten my hopes up before for no good reason.

There hasn't been any major trades this season. Im wondering if trading deadline will follow that curve or if it will explode.

Anyway, I think Forsberg is the key. When he's signed trades and deals will emerge. My guess is that Forsberg will play for a New York team or the Avs.

The teams that he is considering are Philly, Colorado, Ottawa, Anahiem and Vancouver.

Source? That he rejected the Red Wings shouldn't be suprising news to anyone. I don't think he will play in Anaheim.

The Logic choice would be New York or Denver. New York because he loves the city and often spend some days there. Im also pretty sure that his girlfriend have something to say here and who can say no to New York? Denver because I do think that's the team in his heart.

AS much as I'd like to see any one of Hossa, Marleau or Jolkinen in a red,white and blue Jersey, I just don,t think it'll happen.

Other G.M.'s will want alot in return for these good players. Ryder and Fisher would not be enough for Hossa.

My guess is that Waddell would ak for Ryder, Higgins, Emelin and a 2nd round pick! Don't forget, he'd be giving up a player who scored 100 points last year.

If I were Bob, I'd offer him, Ryder, Dandeneault(they need a d-man), Fisher and our 1st round pick next year. I know Waddell has his eye on Emelin, but i'd try to pass off Fisher instead!

I doubt it would work, but I'd try. I'd make the same offer to FLorida for Jolkinen.

For Marleau, I'd offer, Ryder, Fisher and a 2nd round pick!

Edited by Habsfan

Source? That he rejected the Red Wings shouldn't be suprising news to anyone. I don't think he will play in Anaheim.

The Logic choice would be New York or Denver. New York because he loves the city and often spend some days there. Im also pretty sure that his girlfriend have something to say here and who can say no to New York? Denver because I do think that's the team in his heart.

Like I posted, TSN.

ch_nl, why is it obvious that Forsberg wouldn't play for Detroit? You'd think that if his main goal was to win the Cup, that would be a serious option.

AS much as I'd like to see any one of Hossa, Marleau or Jolkinen in a red,white and blue Jersey, I just don,t think it'll happen.

Other G.M.'s will want alot in return for these good players. Ryder and Fisher would not be enough for Hossa.

My guess is that Waddell would ak for Ryder, Higgins, Emelin and a 2nd round pick! Don't forget, he'd be giving up a player who scored 100 points last year.

If I were Bob, I'd offer him, Ryder, Dandeneault(they need a d-man), Fisher and our 1st round pick next year. I know Waddell has his eye on Emelin, but i'd try to pass off Fisher instead!

I doubt it would work, but I'd try. I'd make the same offer to FLorida for Jolkinen.

For Marleau, I'd offer, Ryder, Fisher and a 2nd round pick!

Nobody is going to pay that price for a UFA. Hossa will not get dealt if that is what Waddell is looking for.

I'm not saying that we should buy into any rumour. There is no evidence or any indication that Gainey will make a trade. But, he may just surprise us all. We are so used to him not making moves that we expect him to get a "Yelle" or "Dowd" depth centre to boost us.

Some people expect that.

"Expect the unexpected", Bob Gainey. :hlogo:

One thing the club tried to do was acquire Briere or Smyth on July 1. It seems obvious to me that if BOb wanted high calibre players at that time then why should now be any different? BOb is working the phones. The only way he will ever pull a deal is if he truly feels it will help the Habs without imbalancing our youth core. Hopefully he can dangle some of our prospects that seem to have high stock to the rest of the league. While at the same time hopefully the Habs staff have an inside track on which problems they foresee with any particular prospect(s).. Sort of like the Balej Kovy deal. It's probably the asking price that other GM's are demanding that is preventing any deal.

Maybe he will just do a utility trade. Who knows? However, I believe BOb can make a better deal for less than some in the media might give him credit for. Shrewd BOb! :clap:

Gainey rocks! Period!

History has shown that Bob runs a tight ship and that whatever you hear off the rumor mill from him won't happen in what pertains to trades.

So if history repeats itself, sorry guys, no Marleau, no Jokinen, no Hossa and no superstar for Ryder, Halak and a 2nd round pick..

History has shown that Bob runs a tight ship and that whatever you hear off the rumor mill from him won't happen in what pertains to trades.

So if history repeats itself, sorry guys, no Marleau, no Jokinen, no Hossa and no superstar for Ryder, Halak and a 2nd round pick..

That's the real trick because there is no way in hell the Bros, Pleks, McDo, Lats, Maxim, Higs and Komi go. I'm not sold on other players like Koivu and Streit being moved. That would be equally as dumb. BOb might just be able to trade Fisher, Emelin (Waddell was rumoured to want him in the return) and Chipchura and a 2nd in '08 or '09 for Marian Hossa. The only way that I would accept this as a fan is a Hossa under contract. Losing Chippy would be difficult to stomach too. Would I make this trade myself? No. But I'm moreso in general posing a "what if" to illustrate that BOb is in the drivers seat more now than ever. If I were him I would be very careful and save UFA trade deadline acquisitions for next year. Or just try the FA market.

It is a rich draft. :clap:

Just remember I said he might pull the rabbit from the hat :) Hopefully I am proven correct - hopefully

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

That's the real trick because there is no way in hell the Bros, Pleks, McDo, Lats, Maxim, Higs and Komi go. I'm not sold on other players like Koivu and Streit being moved. That would be equally as dumb. BOb might just be able to trade Fisher, Emelin (Waddell was rumoured to want him in the return) and Chipchura and a 2nd in '08 or '09 for Marian Hossa. The only way that I would accept this as a fan is a Hossa under contract. Losing Chippy would be difficult to stomach too. Would I make this trade myself? No. But I'm moreso in general posing a "what if" to illustrate that BOb is in the drivers seat more now than ever. If I were him I would be very careful and save UFA trade deadline acquisitions for next year. Or just try the FA market.

It is a rich draft. :clap:

Just remember I said he might pull the rabbit from the hat :) Hopefully I am proven correct - hopefully

Oh he'll pull the rabbit from the hat, that's for sure. Just make sure it doesn't get away....

Like I and many others have said before, there's no big need to do a deal now, so unless we get a good deal we might as well sit on what we got, which is a good young team.

Would it be possible to list the centers who may be available. I would mean centers who would be go second line centers since Plekanec is our first line centre. With a strong 2nd line centre available I would consider letting Koivu go in a trade. Any thoughts?

Well, let me simply this. Trevor Timmins has a massive man-crush on David Fischer, just like he has one for Ryan McDonaugh. Yes, the decision belongs to Bob in the end whether to move either one or not but he always consults with all his scouts and assistants before making any move. Timmins alone would lose his mind UNLESS it's a sure thing in return.

The only problem is there's never a sure thing in hockey unless your last name right now is Ovechkin or Crosby,

Would it be possible to list the centers who may be available. I would mean centers who would be go second line centers since Plekanec is our first line centre. With a strong 2nd line centre available I would consider letting Koivu go in a trade. Any thoughts?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25.html

and

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadl...teambyteam.html

Not to disinter old posts, but I'm still surprised we've not heard a peep about the Habs talking to Forsberg. Gainey is now in a position to market his club as a contender, which is what Forsberg wants - he could conceivably help us down the middle without costing us anything other than dough.

Not to disinter old posts, but I'm still surprised we've not heard a peep about the Habs talking to Forsberg. Gainey is now in a position to market his club as a contender, which is what Forsberg wants - he could conceivably help us down the middle without costing us anything other than dough.

Could you imagine that.

Forsberg

Plekanec

Koivu as the Canadiens top 3 centres no team has anything even close if they are healthy.