Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Not to disinter old posts, but I'm still surprised we've not heard a peep about the Habs talking to Forsberg. Gainey is now in a position to market his club as a contender, which is what Forsberg wants - he could conceivably help us down the middle without costing us anything other than dough.

Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey has no interest in Forsberg and no intention of contacting his agent Don Baizley to make an offer.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...rs&Itemid=9

What about Jeff Carter?

The Flyers if they do sign Forsberg are going to have to free up cap space.

For that reason alone I don't think they'll be looking to move Carter, but he

is a RFA next year and will cost some money. They would be looking to move

a player like Hatcher who makes 3.5M this year and next. I wonder if an offer of

Chipchura and O'Byrne might interest them with Carter and Hatcher coming to us.

We'd probably have to sweeten the offer, but this makes sense for both teams.

They then could add Forsberg,Chipchura and O'Byrne to there team.

We get that big RH'd C we covet and a big physical dman that can fight. And, we

have the cap space to make this deal.

According to TFP and I concur, for Hossa we are probably looking at:

Higgins, Emelin and a 1st to get the ball rolling, nevermind consumating the deal.

Higgins, Emelin and a 1st....

...or worse :(

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Bruce Garrioch has zero credibility when it comes to rumours. Some of the least thought provoking ideas I have ever seen have come from him.

According to TFP and I concur, for Hossa we are probably looking at:

Higgins, Emelin and a 1st to get the ball rolling, nevermind consumating the deal.

Higgins, Emelin and a 1st....

...or worse :(

Like I said earlier, if that is his starting point he will not get very far. UFA's do not have that type of value.

If he is signed to a deal before then maybe this is a valid starting point, but 2 months for that. No way.

Higgins and Emelin might be to much for Hossa.
You're absolutely correct but Rutherford makes it clear that the prices will be insane this year for rentals

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...53.html?sid=101

Every year, we're told the trade deadline won't include the massive overpaying for star players, and yet it always does. The argument this year is that, with so many clubs bunched together in the standings, general managers will be reluctant to go all in with their moves, in either direction. Carolina's Rutherford begs to differ. "I think the price and the return for top players will be higher than it's ever been," he said. "First off, there likely have never been this many teams packed so closely in the standings, many of whom feel one top guy can put them over the top. And, secondly, there simply aren't that many top players who will be available, so the bidding for those are (available) should just keep going up."

You're absolutely correct but Rutherford makes it clear that the prices will be insane this year for rentals

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...53.html?sid=101

The only teams that will overpay are ones that feel the pressure. If 2 contenders (think Colorado/Detroit back in the day) feel that they can win the Cup

and they get caught up trying to one up one another. Or a team like Atlanta last year. Waddell overpaid last season because he felt it was imperative to

make the playoffs last season for the team to survive in that market and because of that dealt from a position of weakness.

Montreal is not in either position, if Ottawa acquires a stud, is Montreal really under any pressure to make a deal? Ottawa maybe, they are approaching

the last couple of years of their window for the Cup, they need to act now. Montreal is in the early stages of their ascension, they can sit on the hand they have right now.

Is Gainey going to overpay for a guy who will leave in 2 months with the price possibly being a guy he wants to invest in for the next 10 years?

The Habs are going to try to win this year while not derailing their internal rebuild. My guess would be a dial tone if somebody asked for that

type of package for a 2 month rental.

Edited by Wamsley01

Nobody is going to pay that price for a UFA. Hossa will not get dealt if that is what Waddell is looking for.

Look what Nashville paid for Forsberg last year! What Did Atlanta Pay for Tkachuk. Both team gave up alot for these "rentals". In both cases they got screwed(it simply wsa njot worth it) but I still think that is enough teams show some interest in Hossa, it might make his value go up!

Look what Nashville paid for Forsberg last year! What Did Atlanta Pay for Tkachuk. Both team gave up alot for these "rentals". In both cases they got screwed(it simply wsa njot worth it) but I still think that is enough teams show some interest in Hossa, it might make his value go up!

I don't think that either team gave up the equivalent of Higgins, Emelin and a 1st round pick.

I guess it all depends on how highly you view Parent to Emelin and Higgins to Upshall. I could be considered bias in my view of Higgins.

But an argument can be made that Upshall is just as good as Higgins.

Waddell made some stupid deals based on desperation. He traded Coburn who is starting to blossom nicely in Philly for Zhitnik. Just for the opportunity to be swept

in the first round. Nobody else paid that price. One dumb GM does not set the market.

Edited by Wamsley01

Montreal is not in either position, if Ottawa acquires a stud, is Montreal really under any pressure to make a deal? Ottawa maybe, they are approaching

the last couple of years of their window for the Cup, they need to act now. Montreal is in the early stages of their ascension, they can sit on the hand they have right now.

Is Gainey going to overpay for a guy who will leave in 2 months with the price possibly being a guy he wants to invest in for the next 10 years?

The Habs are going to try to win this year while not derailing their internal rebuild. My guess would be a dial tone if somebody asked for that

type of package for a 2 month rental.

Yep, this is how I feel. We have a good team, but we're young and we didn't make the playoffs last year; we're on the rise. Although things are becoming clearer by the day, it's still early to judge the value of many of our young players. They show promise, and we could feasibly have almost all the talent we need on this team (or in the system) already. This is not 'our year', but 'our year' is coming up. If a great offer comes, then take it, but otherwise it's best to stick with what we've got.

And I wouldn't be so certain that Ottawa's approaching the end of their window of Cup contention yet, Alfredsson is the only guy who's really getting old. Besides him, all their key players are locked up for a while: Heatley, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Volchenkov. They should be good for while (depending of course on their young players).

Nashville gave up a 3rd line forward, a minor league defenceman, and 1st and 3rd round picks. It's a fair amount, but not exactly earth-shaking.

Well, the third line forward description might fit Scottie Upshall - but to dismiss Ryan Parent as just a minor league defenseman is not at all correct. Parent was drafted 18th overall in the 2005 draft and just turned pro this season.

Edited by smon

Well, the third line forward description might fit Scottie Upshall - but to dismiss Ryan Parent as just a minor league defenseman is not at all correct. Parent was drafted 18th overall in the 2005 draft and just turned pro this season.

I didn't mean to imply that he was a career minor leaguer...just that he was playing in the minors at the time of the deal (and was not a proven NHL player). You could make a case that a similar deal from the Habs would be Lapierre, Fischer and the picks, which is a lot, but not an unholy amount.

Edited by TruthMonger

Truthmonger, hahaha I like those pylons.

Now that you mention it, so do I. I hadnT' noticed that names on the pylons at first!

This is priceless!! :clap:

Yep, this is how I feel. We have a good team, but we're young and we didn't make the playoffs last year; we're on the rise. Although things are becoming clearer by the day, it's still early to judge the value of many of our young players. They show promise, and we could feasibly have almost all the talent we need on this team (or in the system) already. This is not 'our year', but 'our year' is coming up. If a great offer comes, then take it, but otherwise it's best to stick with what we've got.

And I wouldn't be so certain that Ottawa's approaching the end of their window of Cup contention yet, Alfredsson is the only guy who's really getting old. Besides him, all their key players are locked up for a while: Heatley, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Volchenkov. They should be good for while (depending of course on their young players).

What I am saying is they were ascending 6-7 years ago. They were a good young team that people were beginning to notice.

They wouldn't have made a deal to get that big player at the cost of their developing youth.

But they have been a contender for 3-4 years now, they are probably closer to the end of their run then the beginning.

Seeing as they were in the Finals last year anything but a return to the Final will be considered a disappointment, they have that pressure.

If the Habs finish anywhere above 7th the fanbase will look at it as a step forward. Anything higher is gravy.

Just making the playoffs would be an improvement.

Just making the playoffs would be an improvement.

:clap:

Even if we finish in 8th it is still an improvement, although it would be a little disappointing after our good run. But yeah, any playoffs is what we want and any success therein is a bonus.

Edited by Neech

I WONDER :blink:

Gainey signed Brock Trotter yesterday. He was a standout player at DU. I like the move as Trotter has been impressive in the NCAA. As a late '87 he missed the cutoff for the '05 draft, then he was injured for almost all of his first year, so he wasn't drafted in '06 and last summer he should have been drafted IMO, 40 pts in 40 games for a 2nd year freshman is impressive.

Also, Gainey traded Francis Lemieux to Detroit for Brett Engelhardt today.

Why is this in the rumour thread? Well, I guess the best place to post speculation would be here. I have to wonder why Gainey is tinkering with the Hamilton roster. Could this be a sign of a Habs trade? Is Gainey filling holes on Hamilton so he can flip out a Chipchura or something?

By the way, I'm using Chips as an example. I don't advocate this. THIS IS NOT RUMOUR!

I WONDER :blink:

Gainey signed Brock Trotter yesterday. He was a standout player at DU. I like the move as Trotter has been impressive in the NCAA. As a late '87 he missed the cutoff for the '05 draft, then he was injured for almost all of his first year, so he wasn't drafted in '06 and last summer he should have been drafted IMO, 40 pts in 40 games for a 2nd year freshman is impressive.

Also, Gainey traded Francis Lemieux to Detroit for Brett Engelhardt today.

Why is this in the rumour thread? Well, I guess the best place to post speculation would be here. I have to wonder why Gainey is tinkering with the Hamilton roster. Could this be a sign of a Habs trade? Is Gainey filling holes on Hamilton so he can flip out a Chipchura or something?

I wouldn't bet on it, we say that any time there's any sort of minor roster moves. Why isn't it safe to assume that he's just tinkering with his Hamilton roster?

I wouldn't bet on it, we say that any time there's any sort of minor roster moves. Why isn't it safe to assume that he's just tinkering with his Hamilton roster?

I think it is mostly based on hope. :)

The Habs need a an offensive centerman.

No the habs need a right winger who can finish, a real sniper who can break Koivu out of his slump. Thats it and thats all and we have a real shot at the cup in my eyes. Now that the team is playing physical we don't need a fighter like I once thought.

We get Koivu rolling again and it will be lights out for all comers.

Players that could be moved in a package deal.

- Ryder

- Higgins

- Dandenault

- O'Byrne

- Boullion

- Chipchura

- Lapierre

And probably a few more, it would be a damn shame to see some of these go but like I read once we are going for the cup not starting the brady bunch here.

Hossa rumours getting hot - http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080207.html

La Presse reports Waddell's right hand man, Mark Dobson, the Thrashers' Director of Player Personnel, also attended the Sunday game versus the Rangers. In fact, Dobson and Thrashers pro scout Peter Mahovlich were in Montreal Tuesday for their game against the Ottawa Senators.