Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Hamilton can't score. Trotter helps the offense.

The Habs need a an offensive centerman.

Hamilton can't score. Trotter helps the offense.

The Habs need a an offensive centerman.

Do you write everything twice on purpose?

Hossa rumours getting hot - http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080207.html

La Presse reports Waddell's right hand man, Mark Dobson, the Thrashers' Director of Player Personnel, also attended the Sunday game versus the Rangers. In fact, Dobson and Thrashers pro scout Peter Mahovlich were in Montreal Tuesday for their game against the Ottawa Senators.

Just for the record, I looked into Hossa's playoff stats. He had 10 pts in 12 games in 01-02, 16 points in 18 games in 02-03 for the Sens. He did blow chunks for the Thrashers last playoff, but so did Kovalchuk.

I raise this just to debunk a claim that's surfaced in this thread, namely that Hossa is a playoff dud. Not true.

The man is a RW and fills a legitimate hole on our team at the moment. If he can be signed, go for it. This source indicates that the asking price is a 'young NHL-ready player' plus a 1st-round pick, or possibly one of our D prospects. The price is steep, but if Hossa could be signed to a long-term deal then I'd happily move the 1st-rounder; as for the 'NHL ready young player' well, it'd depend on which one...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I agree that if the price is right and Hossa would agree to sign for like 3-4 more years, it would definitely give the Habs a frontline scorer. As much as i would love the price to be Ryder, 1st pick, maybe Fischer and Dandy, i doubt that would be enough. Most likely have to switch Higgins for Ryder. Seeing as how, it's very unlikely BG would include Pleks, either Kosty, Lats or Komi, i'm not sure who Atlanta would want. Chips? Not likely instead of Higgins. I would have no problem with Halak. Wouldn't do McDonnagh and haven't seem enough of Emelin to make a good opinion.

However, knowing BG and his patience and where the Habs stand, he seems to be in the driver's seat. Can always try to sign Hossa in the offseason if no trade pans out, but he is unlikely to be on the market at that time.

Whatever BG decides to do, i'm sure it will be well thought out.

Isn't Atlanta pretty set for their LWs? I don't think Higgins would be the guy they want.

And to people talking about Hossa signing for 3-4 more years: don't you think it would be more likely that he would go for a longer contract, more like 5-7 years, like other players in situations similar to his (Heatley, Spezza, Drury, Gomez etc.)?

Isn't Atlanta pretty set for their LWs? I don't think Higgins would be the guy they want.

And to people talking about Hossa signing for 3-4 more years: don't you think it would be more likely that he would go for a longer contract, more like 5-7 years, like other players in situations similar to his (Heatley, Spezza, Drury, Gomez etc.)?

Apparently Hossa wants to go to a contender and thats the most important thing and Higgins natural position is centre so who knows.

But if Gainey pulls this deal I say someone tries to pull his face off scooby doo style to see if it is an imposter.

Looks like eklund just reported Hossa to the habs for Higgins + a 1st and he gave it his much coveted E4 rating!

Everyone knows how amazing that rating is, it means when he asked his dog if that trade would happen his dog barked twice and then licked himself. :lol:

Eklund:

Yes indeed. a tip from our own has led me on a wild Hossa chase. I finally got the confirmation I was looking for an hour ago....The Rumour said the deal could include Higgins and a #1. Could be announced shortly...in fact there are those who feel that the trade will be announced prior to tomorrow night's Hockey Night in Canada contest between the Leafs and Habs...But will the Habs extend him?

I don't buy it!

Looks like eklund just reported Hossa to the habs for Higgins + a 1st and he gave it his much coveted E4 rating!

Everyone knows how amazing that rating is, it means when he asked his dog if that trade would happen his dog barked twice and then licked himself. :lol:

I think I might love that trade.

Sign Hossa for 4 years. No rentals, please.

RFA offer sheet to Higgins if the team really wants him back. Or maybe Ryder with sweeter 'extras'...O'Byrne and Halak are really good prospects, NHL ready for sure. Or Gorges, and O'Byrne fills his spot. Throw in a top draft pick as well. Leaves us a couple of potentially excellent top-two lines.

Kovy-Plex-A Kost

Hossa-Koivu-S Kost

Plus enough depth to cover our 2nd two lines

Latendresse-Lapierre-(Ryder / Higgins)

Kosto-Smoked-Begin / Dandy

I'd even be tempted to put Latendresse or Ryder / Higgins on the Koivu-Hossa line; move S Kost with Latendresse

Dre-e-e-e-eam. Dream dream dream dream...

LOL...That was funny, I had the whole visual

FYI, Murray Wilson (who travels with the team) was on Sportsnet last night saying that the Habs are indeed on the Hossa chase. He however said that Ryder Chipchura and S. Kostitsyn were names he heard they were inquiring about.

I would do that deal if Hossa is signed, but I would not give up Higgins for a 2 month rental.

Our team is potentially ready where a move like this could really set them off. With that said I don't think we, nor Gainey truly believe we are down right contenders just yet. So, Gainey will ONLY take him signed, I'm not worried about that.

You seen this one. Some Bogger on Ek's site.

"The Oilers and Habs talking

Details are pretty sketchy right now, but don't just assume that the Oilers are sellers. They reportedly have contacted many teams in an attempt to pull off at least two deals so far and the general feeling is that the Oilers and their soon to be new owner, Katz, are willing to spend, spend, spend. One player they have interest in, and I have been told reportedly over and over again is likely to be moved out of Montreal is Ryder. The Oilers also like Halak. The Canadiens like Horcoff and also like Stoll. "There is a deal to be made if the Habs say, 'make it so'," a source assured me, "In fact I have even heard the missing piece for the Habs to land Jokinen may come through Edmonton."

Can't you just smell the bull when you read between the lines?

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

I would do that deal if Hossa is signed, but I would not give up Higgins for a 2 month rental.

Ditto...

In any case, 2 months rental is sure not worth Higgins & 1st rounder. So I doubt it'd go down if there isn't some agreement to sign Hossa...

... WHICH means that Habs would have to shed some salary first. Seeing how Gomez or Briere got 10M$ deals, how could Hossa pass on the chance of testing the free agency and get a similar deal just to sign here? He'd probably sign for upwards of 6M$, if not more... and I don't think the Habs have that kind of cap room.

OMG - I follow Ek closely. I don't buy into him but he rearely uses an e4 and when he does...

...I know we hate him but stay tuned.

I think almost everyone is in agreement on this point. Higgins remains a good young player, and moving him for a rental would be idiotic.

Ditto...

In any case, 2 months rental is sure not worth Higgins & 1st rounder. So I doubt it'd go down if there isn't some agreement to sign Hossa...

... WHICH means that Habs would have to shed some salary first. Seeing how Gomez or Briere got 10M$ deals, how could Hossa pass on the chance of testing the free agency and get a similar deal just to sign here? He'd probably sign for upwards of 6M$, if not more... and I don't think the Habs have that kind of cap room.

It could seal the deal for Huet leaving.

Huet - 2.875M

Ryder - 2.95M

Smolinski - 2M

Brisebois - 700K

Higgins - 1.9M

That is close to 10M with those 4 guys leaving, add in Higgins, plus the cap is supposed to increase by 3M per season.

They then have to re-up Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Streit, Gorges, O'Byrne and Halak.

They would have to make some decisions on their defence core, especially Streit who is looking at a nice raise

and possibly Emelin coming over they would probably look to shed a Dandenault or Boullion in the deal as well.

With all those guys moved the Habs would be looking at 42M with Hossa @ 10M per (worst case scenario)

So with a 54M Cap they would have room to resign their RFAs and UFAs in the offseason.

The next season with Kovalev and Koivu as UFAs would be an interesting off season.

Edited by Wamsley01

It could seal the deal for Huet leaving.

Huet - 2.875M

Ryder - 2.95M

Smolinski - 2M

Brisebois - 700K

Higgins - 1.9M

That is close to 10M with those 4 guys leaving, add in Higgins, plus the cap is supposed to increase by 3M per season.

They then have to re-up Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Streit, Gorges, O'Byrne and Halak.

They would have to make some decisions on their defence core, especially Streit who is looking at a nice raise

and possibly Emelin coming over they would probably look to shed a Dandenault or Boullion in the deal as well.

With all those guys moved the Habs would be looking at 42M with Hossa @ 10M per (worst case scenario)

So with a 54M Cap they would have room to resign their RFAs and UFAs in the offseason.

The next season with Kovalev and Koivu as UFAs would be an interesting off season.

I like yourself have no idea what is going on. Ek might have sniffed something though. Maybe himself? :lol: Or, maybe a newspaper article? Who really knows with this guy? I prefer Spector - Kyle Richardson, because he sites media reporters articles and all of his links are legit. He's also very cautious about conjecture email. Clever.

Nevertheless, Ek might be legit on this one. Not necesarily the players coming and going but I believe that Waddell and Gainey are talking. There's too much rumour reporting resulting from this. You'd think that Hossa was wearing a Habs jersey at this point with all this conjecture. :lol: I believe we are really close to getting Hossa and that has me worried. I'm concerned we regret it in the long run. If they trade McDo or someone equal, I'll freak! I'm also not sold on Higgins going the other way because that is stupid. How would Komisarek feel? BOb isn't stupid.

I like yourself have no idea what is going on. Ek might have sniffed something though. Maybe himself? :lol: Or, maybe a newspaper article? Who really knows with this guy? I prefer Spector - Kyle Richardson, because he sites media reporters articles and all of his links are legit. He's also very cautious about conjecture email. Clever.

Nevertheless, Ek might be legit on this one. Not necesarily the players coming and going but I believe that Waddell and Gainey are talking. There's too much rumour reporting resulting from this. You'd think that Hossa was wearing a Habs jersey at this point with all this conjecture. :lol: I believe we are really close to getting Hossa and that has me worried. I'm concerned we regret it in the long run. If they trade McDo or someone equal, I'll freak! I'm also not sold on Higgins going the other way because that is stupid. How would Komisarek feel? BOb isn't stupid.

Waddell and Gainey ARE talking, everyone around the team (mainstream medias) have reported it already. Eklund doesn't know anything that isn't already known or hypothesized by the general public.

Even if nothing major does happen in the trade department, i love all of this trade talk. Makes things exciting.

200 page trade rumour thread so far ^_^