Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I would be very surprised to see Huet traded. I wouldn't want Richards. 12 goals for how many million?

STATS on Richards, 18 goals this year..on one of the worst teams in league, plus the 26 points in 23 games in their cup run...in 2004...

Addition of Tanguay and Richards would bring another element to team....

2007-08 Tampa Bay NHL 60 18 32 50 -25 15 222 8.11

2006-07 Tampa Bay NHL 82 25 45 70 -19 23 272 9.19

2005-06 Tampa Bay NHL 82 23 68 91 0 32 282 8.16

2004-05 AK Bars Kazan Rus 6 2 5 7 +2 16 - -

2003-04 Tampa Bay NHL 82 26 53 79 +14 12 244 10.66

2002-03 Tampa Bay NHL 80 17 57 74 +3 24 277 6.14

2001-02 Tampa Bay NHL 82 20 42 62 -18 13 251 7.97

2000-01 Tampa Bay NHL 82 21 41 62 -10 14 179 11.73

1999-00 Rimouski QMJHL 63 71 115 186 +80 69 - -

1998-99 Rimouski QMJHL 59 39 92 131 +18 55 - -

1997-98 Rimouski QMJHL 68 33 82 115 +12 44 - -

1996-97 Notre Dame SJHL 63 39 48 87 - 73 - -

Total NHL 550 150 338 488 -55 133 1727 8.69

It's a lose-lose for Tampa no matter how you try to spin this.

Tampa loses a very good centre (let's be real, anyone would take Richards over Huet and Ryder combined any day of the week, even on Richards' worst days).

Second, Huet and Ryder are BOTH UFAs at the end of the season. Who says they'll stick around?

Sure, Feaster would have to get them to agree to stick around in the area but I'm pretty sure if Ryder and Huet hit the market, they'll get considerable interest from teams who can compete for the Cup right away. Tampa is too worrisome on defense before anything legit can spark.

Not sure about Richards at the salary he is making. I'd prefer Tanguay or Hossa. But the price for Hossa might be too steep, especially for an UFA.

Anyways it'll be an interesting and fun few days before the trade deadline.

Eh, three more years at 7.8 million doesn't look so good for Richards... On the other hand, we seem to have pretty good scoring as it is, and he's a good two-way forward who has proven to be clutch. And that's the sort of price tag that someone like Hossa would require, except for 6 more years or something.

Anyways, it's probably a moot point because this deal seems very one-sided.

Richards, love to see him here, but the $ kill us in the cap. Too bad, great player destined to rot, it looks like...

Tanguay for Ryder + pick, if that is seriously on the table Bob shouldn't hesitate. Maybe he isn't.

Jokinen, what would they want? They need 'O', their asking price might be too high.

Hossa, for whatever reason I'm less enthused about him as things go, I can't see a guy like that bleeding to win like the lads in 'Le Comeback'. An unfair yardstick, to be sure...but hey, we've already ordered his equipment. Like we ordered Khabibulin's once, I read.

Maybe B.G. is getting the NYR Hossa back... :hockey::lol:

You never know - he may want to re-unite all the brothers in the NHL...

Andrei & Sergei Kostitsyn

Guillaume & Olivier Latendresse

Marian & Marcel Hossa

Daniel & Henrik Sedin :lol:

Tangs would be okay - as noted, he's fairly consistent.

Hossa would probably be the player of choice for Gainey to compliment Koivu's line. The issue is the UFA status and whether or not Hoss could be resigned to another contract.

Richards has been coveted by the Habs organization for a while now - rumours every year that Montreal will make a pitch. If he really is on the market, I suspect any trade for Hossa would be put on hold for a time to at least let Gainey explore the possibility. The good: contract is so high that the asking price might not be quite as extensive as that of Hoss. The illusion: the cap hit. Yes, his contract is exorbitant, however with the cap going up another $3-4M next season, it's already half covered. And let's not forget that there will be some player moving the other way. Ryder's $3M means we could absorb Richards without a major dent.

The rumours of two of the three of these guys are interesting, though most likely bogus. That would incur major cap difficulties and would require the Habs to part with something far more substantial. And I don't think Saku would waive his NT to head to Tampa.

I suspect, reading everything that's been out there for the last while, that Gainey has had conversations (perhaps even very serious) regarding Hossa, and is or will probably consider the Richards issue. I'm not convinced, however, that he's done much looking at Tangs, honestly. First, Tanguay was pretty adamant when he said he didn't want to come to Montreal. Second, the Sutter in charge of the Flames categorically denied having talks with Bob. And that's AFTER TSN reported that a deal was done, at least in theory.

The major point, I would guess, that is sticking with Gainey - and this is where Richards really throws a ratchet in plans - is that the Habs need a centre that can consistently win faceoffs. Therefore, even if he could scoop up Hossa or Tangs in a deal that doesn't cripple the organization, I think he's almost obligated to pause and consider the Richards scenario in order to address a real weakness with the Habs. If he does go this route, then I suspect Plex may be considered expendable; and that's because Koivu has the NTC.

Interesting days ahead.

Great post Colin.

But in all honesty I really doubt Bob would trade Plekanec. In a cap era he has so much value but I understand why Tampa would want him, he would allow them to sign another respectable winger or two so they could have 2 scoring line again.

Edited by JMMR

Great post Colin.

But in all honesty I really doubt Bob would trade Plekanec. In a cap era he has so much value but I understand why Tampa would want him, he would allow them to sign another respectable winger or two so they could have 2 scoring line again.

I agree - and then you have to consider the chemistry of Plek's line. Is Richards good enough to warrant trading a player whose contract is, and will continue to be, very respectable in this cap era. Now, potentially Smoke could go the other way, but and it's possible that could very well be considered. He's not being used in Montreal, but with the Bolts he could be inserted onto a scoring line where his production could potentially increase. Unfortunately, Smoke's actual trade value is very low, and I'm sure Smoke and Ryder would still need a fairly substantial addition to make the trading of Richards to the Habs worthwhile.

Perhaps the most interesting question, as I consider these possibilities, lies with goaltending. Can Montreal afford to move Huet? Do they honestly believe that Price and Halak can take this team now, or is Huet still considered needed by the organization short-term in order to remain competitive. I honestly believe that both Gainey and Carbo are probably on the fence here. Forget the fact that they risk losing Huet for nothing, they're both looking more at the development of Price and how Huet affects that situation, and the viability of this team heading into the playoff countdown and potentially the playoffs themselves. I think either would rather losing Huet for nothing if it meant they had a legitimate shot at the Cup.

So the major question there is this: can the Habs still be competitive with Price and Halak. And *that* may be the biggest issue in acquiring Richards, since everyone and their dog knows the Bolts have major issues between the pipes.

Great post Colin.

well, considering that Plek will surely be making 4-5M in two years from now... it's not far fetched to trade him for a signed guy who is better and makes a bit more if we have the room to do so.

That said, it won't happen. The habs and particularly Gainey, are not ones to Gamble. Plekanec is working out? Well, he's a keeper until he won't want to sign with us again or until he stops being a good player...

Colin, really liked your post as well. Gainey did say he wants to add an impact player. He will not be trading a Plekanec or Higgins though. To get Richards the Habs will have to part with Huet or Price. New Tampa owner wants a goalie, more cap room, and to sign Boyle. Habs trade Huet and a first this would hurt Montreal short term in net by taking a chance on Price/Halak.

Cap hit next year is affordable for the Habs with Richards. See Habs Cap and Montreal could take on Tanguay and Richards.

It will be interesting to see if Montreal actually does anything. :hockey:

If i were Bob i'd try to get Tanguay. Not because he's the best player available(which is not the case) but because he would be the one who would cost us the least (in terms of Cash and players/draft picks).

I'd like to see Hossa or Richards in Montreal, but I'm not willing to give up Higgins to get them.

ON the other hand, if you trade for Tanguay, you already know that Calgary would make this deal to reduce their payroll, and I believe that Ryder + a 1st round pick (maybe even a second round pick instead of the 1st rounder) could be enough to get this deal done.

If Bob tries to deal for Hossa or Richards, it will most likely cost us Higgins, Ryder, Emelin(or O'Byrne) and a 1st rounder... I find it is too much to pay for Hossa or Richards. I don't want to see Higgins traded away. poor Kid, you can hear it in his voice that he's really stressed out about the trade deadline. You can tell that he doesn't want to be traded away!

He will not be trading a Plekanec or Higgins though.

I hope you are right. Plex and higgins bleed red white and Blue. I don'T want to see them go!

He isn't going to trade Mcdonagh and Emelin for a washed up RW and a UFA.

Those are Possibly the 2 centre pieces of the D core in a few years.

I could see trading one of them, but not both.... and only if they resign Hossa.

I hope you are right. Plex and higgins bleed red white and Blue. I don'T want to see them go!

Event hough it would be nice to get an elite offensive player, trading either of these two guys away hurts the Habs defensively. Why? Both guys check, backcheck, play on the PK and PP. Both play in 4 on 4 situations or when Montreal has a slim lead with time running down. This is something Gainey knows a Hossa or Tanguay would not be counted on as much.

Realistically Montreal has done well due to the TEAM commitment and wanting to keep the puck out of their own net. If Montreal gets an impact player, it will not be at the cost of a roster player in Montreal's future plans. That is just how Bob Gainey works. May be boring but highly consistant.