Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

All those words sound really nice and everything, but you can't argue with numbers and facts. What I said is based on numbers and facts, and I will stick to it until I see them change. 20 years is a long time to have Europeans in the game. The fact is Canadians are the best hockey players in the world. That's it period, end of story.

Here are some facts about pre 05-06 Tampa Stanley cup champs.

No, you're the one saying words that 'sound nice and everything' - 'Canadians are the best hockey players in the world.' Well shucks, tell that to the Russians, Finns and Swedes who might not agree based on our Olympic showing. I'm not trying to be too argumentative here, I do agree that Canada is the number one hockey nation in the world, but what you said is nothing more than patriotic chest-thumping.

02-03 New Jersey Devils: 10 Canadians, 9 Americans, 4 Europeans. Captain (Scott Stevens)

01-02 Detroit Red Wings: 12 Canadians, 1 American, 10 Europeans. Captain (Steve Yzerman)

00-01 Colorado Avalanche: 13 Canadians, 3 Americans, 7 Europeans. Captain (Joe Sakic)

99-00 New Jersey Devils: 12 Canadians, 6 Americans, 5 Europeans. Captain (Scott Stevens)

I'm getting tired of looking for stats, but you need more North Americans on your team .

I'm not arguing that Europeans have helped the game, and play key roles, but facts are facts.

Yeah, they're numbers and facts, but you're being narrow-minded in your judgment of them. It's like saying 15 years ago "Europeans just can't lead the league in scoring, yeah they can be good, but the best scorers are all Canadian. End of story, facts are facts."

You know what the FACT is? 71% of NHL players are North American, so the majority of players on almost every team is North American. And as I said, it makes sense that North Americans become captains more often by default because A. there are more of them and B. you generally want your captain to identify with and represent the majority of your players. Also, only 1 captain won a Cup each year in the last 20 years. Europeans only started to become captains recently, and they are still in the minority in that regard. The reason why a Euro captain hasn't won the Cup yet is more due to timing and circumstance than any intrinsic lack of leadership that they suffer or something.

Like Wamsley said, it was the good ole Canadian boys who were laying the egg in last year's final for Ottawa, not their Euro captain. It isn't Nik Lidstrom's fault that he hasn't had a decent goaltender since he's been the captain, or that stat might be history already. I'm sure you'll see a European captain win a Cup within the next decade at most.

Like Wamsley said, it was the good ole Canadian boys who were laying the egg in last year's final for Ottawa, not their Euro captain. It isn't Nik Lidstrom's fault that he hasn't had a decent goaltender since he's been the captain, or that stat might be history already. I'm sure you'll see a European captain win a Cup within the next decade at most.

Well duh... Koivu in 2008, right? :rolleyes:

seven hours and twenty-two minutes till the press conference . . . . . . .

(maybe the press conference is for the Gainey sweater number retirement?)

Francois Gagnon said on CKAC that the Equipment Story is legit, and that it's Marian Hossa himself who ordered the Habs-colored equipment...

(or)

"One report Thursday said the Canadiens had ordered equipment made to Hossa's measurements, although that turned out to be a pair of gloves with the name Hossa on them that were destined for his brother, New York Rangers forward Marcel Hossa.The gloves, in colours similar to Montreal's, were delivered to the Canadiens by mistake when the Rangers were in town."

Who knows who to believe?

:hlogo:

seven hours and twenty-two minutes till the press conference . . . . . . .

(maybe the press conference is for the Gainey sweater number retirement?)

Never thought about that. That is probably the reason

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/modules.p...e&sid=10182

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I came across it this morning stating that Montreal just picked up Latendresse's brother from Phoenix. hmmm

True, sort of

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

I think Gainey is really enjoying a big mind-###### with the media...putting out openly that he wants an impact player, being linked to numerous players, calling a press conference but also having his number retired, etc...he's sitting in his office laughing.

I think Gainey is really enjoying a big mind-###### with the media...putting out openly that he wants an impact player, being linked to numerous players, calling a press conference but also having his number retired, etc...he's sitting in his office laughing.

This better not be about his jersey retirement! I woke up just to watch this LOL

Anybody else hear something about a 3 way trade that involved higgins to atlanta hossa to chicago and havlat to montreal? ^_^

If we were to sign a top line centre, say Richards, where do you see Saku playing? The top line is not getting tampered with. The new guy would centre Ryder and Higgins I would suspect, as they are our next 2 best wingers at the moment. So he gets limited time with Lats and S Kots as a 4.5 mil 3rd line centre. Bit over paid, but good 3rd line.

Hopefully we also add a sniper wing man, or Ryder shoots like he did last game into June. I'd hate to part with Higgins yet, but I believe a couple of the above mention do play his wing. He could quickly end up 3rd line or be trade bait.

So we do

Huet for Richards. Risky but go with Halak and Price.

Ryder Stiet and pick for Hossa

Lines will be

A Kost Pleks Kov

Higgins Richards Hossa

S Kost Koivu Lats

Begin Lapierre/Smolinski Kostop/Dandy

That would work, now how shall we add a defenceman to improve there?

Offer up Jorges for Campbell, although I have liked his play more the last couple games, I prefer O'Byrne as a student d-man.

Easily done at home. When will something happen in the real world?

First of all, if the Habs do pick up RIchards, you can be assured that Ryder would be going the other way. RIchards would be moved over to the wing (he's proven that he can play anywhere up front). You'd also have to give up Huet and a guy like O'Byrne as well as a 1st round pick. So you're second line would look like this RIchards-Koivu-Higgins.

Then you say we can get Hossa for Ryer Streit and a pick. What fantasy world do you live on? DO you thikn Waddell would let go of a STAR PLAYER for a 3rd liner and defenseman who can't even crack our top 6? I think some of you believe that the other GM's in this league are idiots. I mean c'mon dude! What moron would trade Hossa for Ryder and Streit(along with a pick)??? The GM who would agree to that deal would get fired immediately!

And finally, you say we should trade Gorges for Campbell. Once again, what kind of shit have you been smoking lately? Campbell is one of the better d-men in the league, while Gorges is still trying to make a name for himself. There are 25 other teams that are interested in Campbell, and you think the Habs could pick him up for a guy like Gorges?? Not gonna happen!

Edited by Habsfan

Anybody else hear something about a 3 way trade that involved higgins to atlanta hossa to chicago and havlat to montreal?

I didn't hear anything like that. In any case, I don't thiink Bob will trade Higgins.

Ryder, Streit, O'Byrne, Smokes, Bégin, Dandy, BRisebois, Bouillon, Kostopoulos, Halak are probably available. The only problem is that the other 29 teams are only interested in Ryder, Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers, Plex, Latendresse, Lapierre, Emelin, Valentenko, McDonaugh, Fisher, Paccioretty.

Francois Gagnon said on CKAC that the Equipment Story is legit, and that it's Marian Hossa himself who ordered the Habs-colored equipment...

So you get on the phone, call an equipment company, identify yourself as Hossa and order gear in Habs colors? Now that's a good one. Think I will do it and say my name is Brad Richards. See how long before that one makes the air. Sorry, but that is an equipment managers job, not the players, IMO.

I didn't hear anything like that. In any case, I don't thiink Bob will trade Higgins.

Ryder, Streit, O'Byrne, Smokes, Bégin, Dandy, BRisebois, Bouillon, Kostopoulos, Halak are probably available. The only problem is that the other 29 teams are only interested in Ryder, Higgins, the Kostitsyn brothers, Plex, Latendresse, Lapierre, Emelin, Valentenko, McDonaugh, Fisher, Paccioretty.

Dont we still hold the rights to perezhogin if he does ever decide to come back? :lol:

No, you're the one saying words that 'sound nice and everything' - 'Canadians are the best hockey players in the world.' Well shucks, tell that to the Russians, Finns and Swedes who might not agree based on our Olympic showing. I'm not trying to be too argumentative here, I do agree that Canada is the number one hockey nation in the world, but what you said is nothing more than patriotic chest-thumping.

Yeah, they're numbers and facts, but you're being narrow-minded in your judgment of them. It's like saying 15 years ago "Europeans just can't lead the league in scoring, yeah they can be good, but the best scorers are all Canadian. End of story, facts are facts."

You know what the FACT is? 71% of NHL players are North American, so the majority of players on almost every team is North American. And as I said, it makes sense that North Americans become captains more often by default because A. there are more of them and B. you generally want your captain to identify with and represent the majority of your players. Also, only 1 captain won a Cup each year in the last 20 years. Europeans only started to become captains recently, and they are still in the minority in that regard. The reason why a Euro captain hasn't won the Cup yet is more due to timing and circumstance than any intrinsic lack of leadership that they suffer or something.

Was it 7 or 9 years Hasak said it took for a european to even understand the meaning of the cup? That said it all. Hopefully, if we get Hossa he has learned the meaning and doesn't do the european "but,it's spring!" thing come playoffs.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Was it 7 or 9 years Hasak said it took for a european to even understand the meaning of the cup? That said it all. Hopefully, if we get Hossa he has learned the meaning and doesn't do the european "but,it's spring!" thing come playoffs.

Hasek comes from a different generation of players. Euros grow up watching 90% of their heroes in the NHL now. When Hasek was a kid who was his hero? Jiri Crha?

Hasek comes from a different generation of players. Euros grow up watching 90% of their heroes in the NHL now. When Hasek was a kid who was his hero? Jiri Crha?

Yes, the times are changing, and our jrs keep winning. Yes the margins are closing, we are improving in soccer, but still can't beat third world countries. Give it time, but for now I would love a Canadian captain.

Who made up the press conference rumour? I can find no links?

Yes, the times are changing, and our jrs keep winning. Yes the margins are closing, we are improving in soccer, but still can't beat third world countries. Give it time, but for now I would love a Canadian captain.

Our Jrs keep winning because we produce the most prospects in the world. I would not complain if Ovechkin was my captain that is for sure.

And we got a first hand look at the leadership of Malkin last night without the wonderboy in the lineup.

Would the Habs have a better chance to win if a Mike Keane type player was captain?

Edited by Wamsley01