Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Yea, but there are many fans who are extremely high on Grabs, he is asbolutely tearing it up in the AHL. You never know, when he grows up he could be even better than Hossa, or similar. Then again, he could turn out to be a bust...we can't tell the future. some fans wouldnt be willing to give up a prospect with that much possible upside. However, I still do that deal as you would as well.

He'll never be as good as Hossa, that's guaranteed. His absolute ceiling is becoming like Sullivan or maybe Briere, and that's not too likely.

Sundin, old school all class. Hate the Laffs, huge respect for this guy. He might be somewhere else next year - but I really doubt it, not now.

Or you could look at it this way.

He could take a trade to another team and sign back in Toronto in the summer and the Leafs would automically be a better team with the prospects and draft choices they could aquire for him.

I am not saying its how I look at it but you have to understand why so many Leafs fans will be furious with his decision.

It's a NO-WIN situation.....................and they deserve each other! :clap: Guess Sundin isn't a "winner" or has the desire to win a cup; Lord knows it won't happen in TO. And the Leafs management handled the situation poorly as well; they should have sat down with him in the off season to tell him if were out of the playoffs we're going to retool/rebuild and let him know then they might move him.

Either way I'm smiling this morning................. :hlogo:

Now wait until we get Hossa, Richards, Tanguay here ^_^

About Sundin. I think it was a class act. The teammates wanted him to stay and I bet the fans as well. Sundin agreed to a lower salary for a no-trade clause and now Fletcher asked him to waive it? If a veteran captains choice is to stay with his team even when they suck (In Leafs case, always), then I think it's admirable.

I was thinking of Gainey and his trading deadline history. What kind of deal has he done in the past?

He didn't make any big deals in Dallas when they won. He added Houge a few days earlier but that was just a small transaction. I don't know if Im right here but Gainey has never traded a core player at the deadline? Not even a roster player?

Since Hawks wants equal talent for Havlat that rule him out. Hossa for Streit and Ryder? Two roster players? Don't think so, Im not even sure he'd do it for Marleau or Richards. The Habs have come a great season thus far, and it would be dangerous to mess to much with chemistry.

So what could be realistic?

Martin Lapointe? Jeff Halpern? Sergei Fedorov?

Or you can think of Sundin not whoring himself out. He wants to stay with one team. Fair enough, props to him. NTC, you give him the choice. He didn't f the team with crap decisions all the way down the line; beyond bizarre that they now turn to him to fix their own mess. At least, that's probably a big way he looks at it.

Anyway, I respect him purely for that - not because he 'shafted' the Laffs. The fallout is just added bonus.

Forget Richards...wonder what it would take to get the early jump and nab Vinny? Huet, Streit, one of Gorges / O'Byrne / Valentenko, Grabs, maybe one of Higgins / Chips. Then get Tanguay for Ryder +, and ooooohh, Vinny-Tanguay-Latendresse!

OK, I'm staying off the net for 24 hours. Getting almost as delusional as Eklund.

Or you could look at it this way.

He could take a trade to another team and sign back in Toronto in the summer and the Leafs would automically be a better team with the prospects and draft choices they could aquire for him.

I am not saying its how I look at it but you have to understand why so many Leafs fans will be furious with his decision.

Sundin's job is to perform on the ice, to lead his team and to represent the Maple Leafs organization in the best manner possible.

He has done all of those things and deserves nothing but respect. It is not his job to bail out incompetent management.

JFJ gave him the NTC. He exercised it within his rights. This is the Leaf management's fault. They tried to use the media to pressure

him into changing his mind, no class.

If this was Koivu and Gainey this story would have died 3 months ago. Gainey would have come out and said Saku negotiated a NTC and

he has chosen to remain with the Canadiens. And he would keep all the trade manoeuvring behind close doors to protect his captain.

Hossa for Streit and Ryder? Two roster players? Don't think so,

Are you saying that bob should not trade hossa for Ryder and Streit? It that is the case, then I have to ask you, what in the world are you smoking??? You'd have to be nuts not to trade these two 3rd liners for an exceptional player like Hossa.

I seriously doubt it'll happen, cause I don'T thik Waddell is that stupid, but if that was the proposition made by waddell to Bob, he'd have to be nuts to pass on it!

Sundin's job is to perform on the ice, to lead his team and to represent the Maple Leafs organization in the best manner possible.

He has done all of those things and deserves nothing but respect. It is not his job to bail out incompetent management.

JFJ gave him the NTC. He exercised it within his rights. This is the Leaf management's fault. They tried to use the media to pressure

him into changing his mind, no class.

If this was Koivu and Gainey this story would have died 3 months ago. Gainey would have come out and said Saku negotiated a NTC and

he has chosen to remain with the Canadiens. And he would keep all the trade manoeuvring behind close doors to protect his captain.

As much as I hate the Leafs and believe me I despise them with every inch of my being, I have a new respect for Sundin. I know he's a great hockey player but being a Habs fan I only allowed myself to hate him. Childish? I know.

This morning I read that he says "I'm not waiving my NTC because I don't believe in the whole rental player thing, and I just can't leave my mates to go play for another team. Wants to go through tha thick and thin with the club"

HUGE in my eyes even if he does play for the Leafs. Loyalty is big on my list.

This does not look good for us boys........We should get off the Hossa to Montreal rumor.

"It's believed the asking price for Hossa from the Senators will be winger Antoine Vermette, a prospect -- possibly Brian Lee, Nick Foligno or Ilja Zubov -- and a top draft pick"

Wow, talk about screwed, Leafs will suck for a few more years. No trade clauses. Dumb!

I'm not directing this at you JHB. It's more like the last 5 or six posts before you..... and you. Sure the Leafs are having a bad season. The parity in the NHL is insane though. They are not as bad as the last place makes them out to be. If they bring in a couple of players and get confident, go on a 6, 7 game winning streak they are right back in it. It's not like a few years ago ....if you are in the basement you are doomed in Febuary.

Mats could inspire his whole team to get their shit together for the last twenty games make the play-offs and win the cup with this bold move this morning.(Not that I want them to.) I don't think he screwed them over or that they will suck for a long time. I think this is a big thing that may turn the team around which is good so they don't pick high in the draft.

I'm not directing this at you JHB. It's more like the last 5 or six posts before you..... and you. Sure the Leafs are having a bad season. The parity in the NHL is insane though. They are not as bad as the last place makes them out to be. If they bring in a couple of players and get confident, go on a 6, 7 game winning streak they are right back in it. It's not like a few years ago ....if you are in the basement you are doomed in Febuary.

Mats could inspire his whole team to get their shit together for the last twenty games make the play-offs and win the cup with this bold move this morning.(Not that I want them to.) I don't think he screwed them over or that they will suck for a long time. I think this is a big thing that may turn the team around which is good so they don't pick high in the draft.

This season is over for them. They will not play .800 hockey down the stretch. They are committed to the bulk of their shit core through 2011.

They need to let Sundin walk this summer and take 5 cents on the dollar for all those terrible contracts and take a legit run at John Tavares.

I was at the Marlies game yesterday and the Marlies have ZERO legit NHL prospects outside Pogge (who is WAY overrated).

THey don't have cap space outside of what the NHL raises it this year. They resigned Steen to a raise even though his numbers have declined every year.

The Leafs are a mess and are 4-5 years from where the Habs are right now.

Why, the habs have just as good prospects, Vermette is a solid player but nothing that great. If the Habs want him, they have enough to get him.

I agree, but for us to compete, If I'm Waddell Vermette =Higgins,......Foligno=Chips and a top draft pick. Remeber I'm puting myself in Waddell's shoes unless Gainey can sweeten the pot other ways is this not what it might take to land Hossa?

Sorry but I'm feeling doubtful this morning.

I beg to differ.

If he had left, they would have benifitted by what ever they got for him, long term.

As it stands, I hope he rallies his team to an almost 1st round appearance. That is as far as they could reasonably go and they will pick mid pack.

The francise wanted to bone it, sell off, finish bottom 3. Draft high and get some high rated prospects for their vets.

Instead they will draft mid, and be stuck with the same dismal roster next year.

They hire a trading GM and he has nobody to trade!

It is so comical. They will not make the playoffs again this decade.

This season is over for them. They will not play .800 hockey down the stretch. They are committed to the bulk of their shit core through 2011.

They need to let Sundin walk this summer and take 5 cents on the dollar for all those terrible contracts and take a legit run at John Tavares.

I was at the Marlies game yesterday and the Marlies have ZERO legit NHL prospects outside Pogge (who is WAY overrated).

THey don't have cap space outside of what the NHL raises it this year. They resigned Steen to a raise even though his numbers have declined every year.

The Leafs are a mess and are 4-5 years from where the Habs are right now.

Ya....you are probably right. I don't follow them as much as you guys do. I love the fact they are stinkin this year. It just seems to me that the basement is not that horrible these days to officially laugh at another team. They can come to bite you in the ass at anytime. Look at us. If we don't dominate the Bruins this season and take away a few OT's we don't look so great either. Once again ....Thanks Alex Kovalev for not being an asswipe this year.

I am still hoping we go for a Peca or Holik or D position. I think Hossa would fit in well, and I would love having him on the team, but I think we need a true shutdown line. The Plek line is consistently shifted against the other team's shutdown line and 1st line.

There are two ways to beat this. Two potent scoring lines. Or one line and a shutdown line. If you watch the team, they have the most problems with disciplined defensive teams. Carbo needs to figure out a way to counter this problem. A lot of times the only way to do this is to play defensive patient hockey and wait for your chance. Right now this team is not good at that. They are either on the attack at all times or losing. If their attack is foiled consistently, they don't appear to have the tools to get the win very often.

As I said a skilled forward may be the answer, but when you look at who's behind the bench and upstairs, I would think that a Shutdown centre or Boyle or Campbell would be my preference. I am horrible at thinking up trade ideas, because I don't know enough about the team's contracts but I bet Lapierre could be involved in a trade for a centre. As for defense, I don't know. I would hate to lose prospects, and I know that any D we would be willing to part with are paid too much.

Very interesting. I have to say I am a little surprised Carey Price is getting the start for the Atlanta game. I though Huet would go for sure.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Let's hope the kid will be solid for this game. WE absolutely NEED these two points! The Rangers are catching up to the Habs!