Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

• 2 weeks later...
The Globe and Mail mentioned today that the Habs (and Detroit) are expected to make a serious run at Sundin when he becomes a UFA. :clap: That would be a BRILLIANT acquisition.

The writing is on the wall, but Mats all but said he wouldn't come here.....

"Sundin, who earned US $5.5 million last season, refused to waive his no-trade clause in February, blocking an apparent trade to Montreal. The Canadiens, it's believed, would have interest in him again should Sundin be available July 1." -TSN

That speaks volumes to me.

The writing is on the wall, but Mats all but said he wouldn't come here.....

"Sundin, who earned US $5.5 million last season, refused to waive his no-trade clause in February, blocking an apparent trade to Montreal. The Canadiens, it's believed, would have interest in him again should Sundin be available July 1." -TSN

That speaks volumes to me.

Actually he said this about every team. He did not want to be a rental and did not want to come into a dressing room unless it is the start of a season.

I think he is done with the dysfunctional Leaf organization that lowballed him at $5 - $5.5 mill last year and will demand market salary and a chance to get into the playoffs.

Habs have a shot at thim as they can offer #1 centre position where Detroit would probably give him #2 centre.

Ahhh but we are taking Toronto so they will offer him $8.5mill no trade for next year! :rolleyes:

Well I'm not even sure Mats would consider Toronto to his extent.

The tone of his interviews since before the trade deadline leading up to now have been less assertive for the Leafs.

I mean, how many times does the guy have to say on television before the deadline "I'm not waiving my no trade clause to leave Toronto" ?

I don't blame Fletcher in a way for trying to move him since it is his job to get the Leafs going but that had to piss to Mats to a certain degree.

Well turns out Sundin's meeting with Cliff Fletcher didn't provide much development to his situation.

He's still contemplating between signing with the Leafs, signing with another team and retirement.

My guess is this issue won't be resolved before the draft.

Next years' cap will be = 56.3 million. Currently, the Canadiens are committed to 32.7 million. This leaves a difference 23.6 million.

Players that maybe need to be signed: UFA - Streit likely will cost 3 to 4 million max.

RFA's that require the most attention: Gorges, Halak, Lapierre, O'Byrne and definitely A.Kostitsyn!

Players MOST LIKELY or maybe to be let go: Ryder UFA, Smolinski UFA, Brisebois UFA, Grabovski RFA and Locke UFA.

Now, the maximum salary allowed is 20% of cap which next year will be 11.26 million. If we sign Sundin to the maximum that leaves 12.34 to sign the UFA's and RFA's we want to come back.

12.34 to deal with Streit, Kostitsyn, Gorges, Halak, Lapierre & O'Byrne is more than enough. YES - we can sign a player for 11.26 million if we want to.

Sundin didn't want to accept a trade during the season. Him shunning the Habs by blocking the trade wasn't because it was Montreal calling. It's because he wasn't going to go to another team on February 26th.

I guess we will see what happens but few teams can afford the max. We can :clap:

Well if Sundin gets offers, I don't think he'll be getting 11M$ season deals. My guess is 9M$ max.

One thing to notice though is that Gainey has never been shy to try to get that UFA veteran gamble.

Also, if this rumour is true about BOb going after Sundin again. Well, we all know that BOb isn't stupid. If getting Mats was IMPOSSIBLE and this rumour is true, why would he waste his time on feeding this supposed dead horse.

If BOb is trying - it has teeth!

The thing that started this rumor to begin with was a supposed deal involving Higgins as the centerpiece of the deal.

If that trade wasn't true to begin with, it doesn't really show the same interest Bob may have had while taking into account that Higgins was the main reason a Hossa deal was never reached with Atlanta.

The Leafs butchered the Sundin situation. The guy has been nothing but loyal to them for 10+ years and to appease the fans in typical Richard Peddie fashion they leaked info, twisted loyalties and painted Sundin as a bad guy.

If that situation played out with Koivu, Gainey would have held a press conference and said Saku has expressed his desire to remain with the organization and he will not be traded. Sundin had to answer the NTC question nightly for 6 months, absolutely ridiculous.

I would overpay for Sundin. Offer him $9M for this season, it is a better alternative than paying Hossa 6-7M for 7 years. If he doesn’t work out, then the Habs are free and clear come next October.

With the youthful core the Habs possess, they can be patient and wait for the right guy to pay the franchise $$ to. This season’s free agent crop is weak, so save your money, or throw it at guys like Sundin, Shanahan, Selanne for one year deals and see if you can catch lightning in a bottle.

If the Habs could get Sundin it would make them serious Stanley Cup contenders next season.

Bob, go work your magic!

The Leafs butchered the Sundin situation. The guy has been nothing but loyal to them for 10+ years and to appease the fans in typical Richard Peddie fashion they leaked info, twisted loyalties and painted Sundin as a bad guy.

If that situation played out with Koivu, Gainey would have held a press conference and said Saku has expressed his desire to remain with the organization and he will not be traded. Sundin had to answer the NTC question nightly for 6 months, absolutely ridiculous.

I would overpay for Sundin. Offer him $9M for this season, it is a better alternative than paying Hossa 6-7M for 7 years. If he doesn’t work out, then the Habs are free and clear come next October.

With the youthful core the Habs possess, they can be patient and wait for the right guy to pay the franchise $$ to. This season’s free agent crop is weak, so save your money, or throw it at guys like Sundin, Shanahan, Selanne for one year deals and see if you can catch lightning in a bottle.

If the Habs could get Sundin it would make them serious Stanley Cup contenders next season.

Bob, go work your magic!

I second that motion. :clap:

Next years' cap will be = 56.3 million. Currently, the Canadiens are committed to 32.7 million. This leaves a difference 23.6 million.

The Habs have a lot more than 32.7, try over 35.6, and that's not even including Chipchura (don't forget Price's cap hit is 2.2, and the buyout costs for Cullimore and Salmelainen raise this year.) When you consider the RFA's will cost a minimum of 4 (and that's if they all just accepted their QO - which won't happen), that's 40, realistically, closer to 42/43. And considering you have to leave some wiggle room for mid-season deals, callups, now you're looking at 10 total to spend, and that's not factoring in bringing back any existing UFA's. I'd go on, but this will be the basis for an article I'm going to write somewhat soon, so I don't want to break everything down completely.

Essentially, if you put Chipchura as a regular next year, the cap hit becomes over 36.6 mil, something to consider mulling over when assessing free agency.

The Habs have a lot more than 32.7, try over 35.6, and that's not even including Chipchura (don't forget Price's cap hit is 2.2, and the buyout costs for Cullimore and Salmelainen raise this year.) When you consider the RFA's will cost a minimum of 4 (and that's if they all just accepted their QO - which won't happen), that's 40, realistically, closer to 42/43. And considering you have to leave some wiggle room for mid-season deals, callups, now you're looking at 10 total to spend, and that's not factoring in bringing back any existing UFA's. I'd go on, but this will be the basis for an article I'm going to write somewhat soon, so I don't want to break everything down completely.

Essentially, if you put Chipchura as a regular next year, the cap hit becomes over 36.6 mil, something to consider mulling over when assessing free agency.

Thanks. Yeah, I was at work on a break and did some quick research. I forgot about Cullimore and Salmelainen. The nhl number cap website is a crude measure obviously. I look forward to the article.

And, nevertheless we are still in great shape :clap:

I think they reason we didnt get Hossa was because Bob was waiting down the wire with the Higgins for Sundin deal to be accepted by Mats, it didn't and we ended up with neither. I think were in a better position now anyways since we have cap space galore and could make serious bids on either while trading for a guy LIKE Arnott, Morrow, etc. etc.

:hlogo:

Sundin: Gainey will offer 7mil for 1 year or 9 and 5 for 2 years. This way, if Sundin retires, I'm pretty sure the last year comes off the books. I'm not the expert but it's something like that, isn't it?

The reason deals didn't go down is BG said numerous times he isn't giving up the good youth. This includes Higgins. He said thta's who Atlanta wanted and he said no.

He'll make a pitch at soime UFA's but i wouldn't expect any deals invloving quality youth.

Grabovski and Halak may be available, but not the other young guns.

The reason deals didn't go down is BG said numerous times he isn't giving up the good youth. This includes Higgins. He said thta's who Atlanta wanted and he said no.

He'll make a pitch at soime UFA's but i wouldn't expect any deals invloving quality youth.

Grabovski and Halak may be available, but not the other young guns.

Funny, in the T.O. media they report the Higgins for Sundin thing as essentially fact. I just don't see why Gainey

would balk at the price to Atlanta and then offer it to Toronto.

I think they reason we didnt get Hossa was because Bob was waiting down the wire with the Higgins for Sundin deal to be accepted by Mats, it didn't and we ended up with neither. I think were in a better position now anyways since we have cap space galore and could make serious bids on either while trading for a guy LIKE Arnott, Morrow, etc. etc.

:hlogo:

I'm not sure about that. Sundin had made it crystal-clear days before the deadline that he wasn't going anywhere.

Sundin: Gainey will offer 7mil for 1 year or 9 and 5 for 2 years. This way, if Sundin retires, I'm pretty sure the last year comes off the books. I'm not the expert but it's something like that, isn't it?

Nope, can't do that anymore. The CBA forbids it. Every year that a player, who at the time of signing the contract, is over 35 years old counts against the cap. This is why, despite being in his second season as GM of the team, Garth Snow still counted against the Islanders cap hit this past year. He signed a 3 year contract coming out of the lockout to serve as DiPietro's mentor/backup, but retired to become the GM after just one year. I think he was 36 or 37 when he signed the deal in 2005.

The Habs can offer that contract of two years, but they'd be on the books for the $7m cap hit in 2009-10 no matter what Sundin decides to do after one season.

Nope, can't do that anymore. The CBA forbids it. Every year that a player, who at the time of signing the contract, is over 35 years old counts against the cap. This is why, despite being in his second season as GM of the team, Garth Snow still counted against the Islanders cap hit this past year. He signed a 3 year contract coming out of the lockout to serve as DiPietro's mentor/backup, but retired to become the GM after just one year. I think he was 36 or 37 when he signed the deal in 2005.

The Habs can offer that contract of two years, but they'd be on the books for the $7m cap hit in 2009-10 no matter what Sundin decides to do after one season.

There you go. Thanks.

I was bored so EK says a few very big trades this upcoming week before the draft, none included the habs, just the same old stuff, Jokinan out west, Oilers looking to move Pitkanin. Rangers wanting a puck moving dman. Pittsburgh siging Hossa and trying to trade Malkin (that was new) crazy, but new.

He says trade day should be active. So i'm assuming 1 deal will go down, i think he's right about 5% of the time.

I was bored...
Me too. Boring :zzz: ......

Ek says the dominoes should start falling soon. I've got one for him. Right now it's either cloudy with major or scattered showers or it's sunny and hot in most of Canada.

So, you see - I'm an expert on the weather just as efficient as Ek is on hockey :lol: