Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/8516

Boone "decodes" the press conference. He interprets Gainey to be looking for an elite forward, preferably at C, and predicts that Bob will offer something like Higgins + McDonagh + 1st round pick for Ollie Jokinen.

Damn...that's steep. This is what I mean when I say Marleau-Kovalev looks a lot better, all around.

Other interesting tidbits: Steit is likely to be gone...and we're solid players in the Sundin hunt if things don't pan out at the trade table. On the other hand, Gainey's stated $6-7-million budget for UFAs more or less rules out Hossa, and Boone is happy about that.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/8516

Boone "decodes" the press conference. He interprets Gainey to be looking for an elite forward, preferably at C, and predicts that Bob will offer something like Higgins + McDonagh + 1st round pick for Ollie Jokinen.

Damn...that's steep. This is what I mean when I say Marleau-Kovalev looks a lot better, all around.

Other interesting tidbits: Steit is likely to be gone...and we're solid players in the Sundin hunt if things don't pan out at the trade table. On the other hand, Gainey's stated $6-7-million budget for UFAs more or less rules out Hossa, and Boone is happy about that.

Mathias Brunet (this guy rocks) also "decodes" the press conference. He interprets Gainey said a lot by saying "some teams were not ready to make the deal in february but are now for money reasons but also because they know they have good young depth" and that Gainey insisted to say that centre is the #1 option and he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice the 1rst rounder.

Brunet lists Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen and Patrick Marleau. The LA Kings don't need to cut their payroll and the Panthers are not THAT tight. But the Sharks.... with Joe Thornton's 7M deal, as well as 6M Nabokov, Rivet, Cheechoo, Michalek and the expected raise for Clowe, Ehrhoff and Pavelski, they might not be able to give Brian Campbell the contract he wants.

Also, San Jose don't own a 1rst rounder and there is a new coach... I'd buy that theory over the Jokinen-overpaying-deal.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080620...30/CPACTUALITES

Mathias Brunet (this guy rocks) also "decodes" the press conference. He interprets Gainey said a lot by saying "some teams were not ready to make the deal in february but are now for money reasons but also because they know they have good young depth" and that Gainey insisted to say that centre is the #1 option and he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice the 1rst rounder.

Brunet lists Mike Cammalleri, Olli Jokinen and Patrick Marleau. The LA Kings don't need to cut their payroll and the Panthers are not THAT tight. But the Sharks.... with Joe Thornton's 7M deal, as well as 6M Nabokov, Rivet, Cheechoo, Michalek and the expected raise for Clowe, Ehrhoff and Pavelski, they might not be able to give Brian Campbell the contract he wants.

Also, San Jose don't own a 1rst rounder and there is a new coach... I'd buy that theory over the Jokinen-overpaying-deal.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080620...30/CPACTUALITES

I've been yapping about SJ's contract issues from last season when everyone was saying they were so smart and got laughed at for it.

Marleau I hope with everything I've got will not be a Habs.

I've been yapping about SJ's contract issues from last season when everyone was saying they were so smart and got laughed at for it.

Marleau I hope with everything I've got will not be a Habs.

Why not?

Ek is reporting that the panthers want Komisarek + for Jokinen :blink:

The Panthers can go fv.ck themselves!

Edited by Habsfan

Well some sights have higgins, mcdonagh and the frst.

McDonagh is going to be a stud. That would be a bad. Komi, McDonagh should be off limits. Tough physical d men aren't that easy to find.

I like Jokinen but i don't think he's that great. Sundin would hit the spot.

Ek is reporting that the panthers want Komisarek + for Jokinen :blink:

Well it is Eklund and he never seems to be right about the Habs.

But, RDS is reporting that contract negotiations with Streit will start

on Monday. What happened since the press conference to change

Gainey's thinking on Streit? Could we be looking to trade a dman

for whomever?

Sather won't negotiate with his UFA's until July 1st. Jagr just might

be available to us then depending on whether the Rangers try to

sign Hossa or Campbell.

I also wouldn't want us to trade Komisarek + for Jokinen.

Just like Higgins + picks was a done deal for Sundin, yet Gainey wouldn't part with a roster player

for Hossa. Toronto papers continue to print this as fact.

Gainey has patiently put together this squad, watched as guys like Komisarek and HIggins matured,

and now he is going to throw them into a deal for Jokkinen when Sundin could be available for nothing

in 10 days?

Does that sound like Gainey?

McDonagh isn't going anywhere as well. Not after the way Timmons was

gushing about him for the last year. From the net out. Price, defense then forwards.

If he can't hit a HR at a cheap cost, he will do what he did on deadline day. Sit and wait and

fill smaller weaknesses with low cost, low risk options.

I have waited 10 years for a good team, I can wait another season for a Cup.

Awesome news!!! :clap: Best of all they don't seem to have traded anything for the right to talk to Sundin. Go Bob go!!!!!!

Awesome news!!! :clap: Best of all they don't seem to have traded anything for the right to talk to Sundin. Go Bob go!!!!!!

They will have to trade for his rights if they want to sign him before July 1st....but other then that, this is a freebie.

Edited by Habitforming

If this is legit and something can be done (or has been done since Dreger reports over the last 24 hours) before 7, don't be surprised to see that 1st rounder go Toronto's way. I'm sure something fairly substantial had to be promised just to get permission to talk. Of course, Mats could have politely said "no thanks" and left it at that...who knows?

They will have to trade for his rights if they want to sign him before July 1st....but other then that, this is a freebie.

Woohoooo!!!

Guess who's staying up to watch the draft tonight...... :clap:

If this is legit and something can be done (or has been done since Dreger reports over the last 24 hours) before 7, don't be surprised to see that 1st rounder go Toronto's way. I'm sure something fairly substantial had to be promised just to get permission to talk. Of course, Mats could have politely said "no thanks" and left it at that...who knows?

You know what? Much as I despise this new trend of giving up assets in order to TALK to a UFA, if moving a 25th overall pick means that we sign Sundin to a 2-year deal, and if it means avoiding yet another ridiculous UFA frenzy in which some asshole offers Sundin 15 years at $700 billion per year...then do it. The most likely outcome of signing Sundin is that it will make us serious contenders.

EK has the habs trading their number 1 for the right to sign Sundin. So if the Leafs gave the Habs permission to talk to the agent BG MUst have a Sundin deal done. It's the only way you can give up the first round pick.

It will be interesting whatever happens.

(CKAC)- Selon des informations obtenues par CKAC Sports, le directeur général du Canadien, Bob Gainey, aurait échangé le choix de première ronde de l'équipe au repêchage 2008 (25e au total).

On ne sait toujours pas à quelle équipe et en retour de quoi le Canadien aurait échangé son choix. Une confirmation pourrait venir au cours des prochaines minutes.

Plus de détails à venir.

CKAC - Bob traded the 25th pick confirmed - We don't know for what yet

"According to information obtained by CKAC Sports, Canadiens' General Manager Bob Gainey traded the team's first round pick of the 2008 draft (25th overall).

We don't know yet to what team or for what the Canadiens would have traded their pick. A confirmation may be coming in the next few minutes.

More details to come."