Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm in the 'Rolston as Plan B' crowd. Hossa will command an absurd contract, very damaging in a cap system. The rest are, for various reasons, pretty much dogs, although Demitra is worth at least some consideration, and I still wouldn't rule out Holik.

Do people think we're gonna resign Brisebois? I'm curious.

I'm in the 'Rolston as Plan B' crowd. Hossa will command an absurd contract, very damaging in a cap system. The rest are, for various reasons, pretty much dogs, although Demitra is worth at least some consideration, and I still wouldn't rule out Holik.

Do people think we're gonna resign Brisebois? I'm curious.

I agree

1 Sundin

2 Rolston

3 Demitra

And Brisebois will probably want at least a 1.1-1.5 this year but he settles for the 600-800 k and we have lost Cote and Streit then Briser can be a 7th

If Brisebois wants $1.5 to serve as basically a part-time D-man, we should laugh him out of town IMHO. Although I could certainly see a bonus-laden contract that would put him in a position to make that much - that would be fair, given that we did rely on him to be much more than a 7th defenceman at certain times last season (most noably the playoffs).

If Brisebois wants $1.5 to serve as basically a part-time D-man, we should laugh him out of town IMHO. Although I could certainly see a bonus-laden contract that would put him in a position to make that much - that would be fair, given that we did rely on him to be much more than a 7th defenceman at certain times last season (most noably the playoffs).

You forget the value of the dollar is not what it used to be. For professional athletes 1.5 million dollars is Not outrageous by any means. I would pay him that money to do what he did last year.

Well, they had to do something. I'm sure Vinny didn't sign an extension with the promise of no more help, live with what you have.

Too bad, they'll be better. Interested to see how much they overpayed for Malone, though.

Trade winds for Bob?

Well, they had to do something. I'm sure Vinny didn't sign an extension with the promise of no more help, live with what you have.

Too bad, they'll be better. Interested to see how much they overpayed for Malone, though.

Trade winds for Bob?

5 mil a season. He's never scored 30 goals. I think he's better than Ryder, but Mikey must be salivating right now at the 5 some team may give him......Boston?

Sundin is bugging me with his "I need space and time" bull...........This is going to drag out past tuesday and he'll end up NYR.

"Hey SUNDIN go back to the leafs, or join the Rangers. You suck anyway!"

*jinx*

5 mil a season. He's never scored 30 goals. I think he's better than Ryder, but Mikey must be salivating right now at the 5 some team may give him......Boston?

I don't think Malone's contract has any effect at all on Ryder. Malone is coming off his best season, Ryder is coming off his worst. Malone kills penalties and plays defense well, Ryder doesn't. Malone is tough as nails, Ryder isn't.

I don't see Ryder making any more money than he did this year with Montreal. He picked a lousy time to have a terrible season, as his value on the market decreased significantly.

Malone's contract averages a 4.5 mil cap hit ... not that bad .. it's pretty much on line with a guy like Penner ... the only wrinkle I see with it is they're paying him alot of money up front in the contract, I think it's 8 and 7 mil the first two years. But it gives them the opportunity to buy him out cheap in a few years if he doesn't get any better.

Just a few remarks based on what some of the guys wrote.

-My guess is Rolston is going to hit the UFA market. I don't think he'll sign with Tampa. If anything, this looks like a good strategic move by the Wild to send him a message that if Rolston doesn't start to co-operate, the Wild have no problem moving forward without him,

-I wouldn't mind seeing Rolston in Montreal. For the type of money he's seeking, it's reasonable and actually gives Bob space to keep Streit around.

-Brisebois won't ask for 1.5M$ per season. He made it pretty clear he wants to play in Montreal and the dollar figures are just minor details since his priority is to play with the Habs. If Montreal isn't interested in keeping him, he'll try to go elsewhere so take that for what it's worth.

-I'm one of those crazy people who believes that if Jagr doesn't sign with the Rangers, he'll end up either in Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa or Montreal.

-These comparisons between Malone and Ryder are a bit iffy. Both play a very different style. Contrary to what Fanpuck said, Carbo actually tried out Ryder on the PK (he played with Koivu) to try to get him out of his funk and if he could play a new role. Mind you, Fanpuck is bang on for the rest. I wouldn't give Malone or Ryder more than 3.5M$ a season. Malone is overrated. He's a complimentary player so unless he plays with Lecavalier since it's too early to tell how Stamkos pans out, he'll stink it up in the Bay area.

About Brisebois; his cap hit actually may be in the vicinity of 1.5 million. Bonuses are included as part of the cap hit until they become unattainable. This means that most bonuses (point totals, goal totals) count against the cap for the entire season. Last year, Brisebois' salary was only 700K but his cap hit was 1.4M.

Frankly Rolston doesn't do that much for me - I don't see how he is much of an upgrade on Plekanec. Rolston is a a little bit bigger, but he is also much older and Plek is still on the uptick.

It's not about getting an upgrade on Plekanec (though at the moment, he is one), it's about having both of them! He's also a great player for our middle of the pack PK and a good replacement for Streit on the powerplay.

Edited by BTH

Yeah, Rolston gives you unbelievable positional versatility and a good, hard shot that he uses often. As long as you don't overpay, he would be a perfect fit. Not as perfect as Big Mats, natch, but still valuable. We'll see.

About Brisebois; his cap hit actually may be in the vicinity of 1.5 million. Bonuses are included as part of the cap hit until they become unattainable. This means that most bonuses (point totals, goal totals) count against the cap for the entire season. Last year, Brisebois' salary was only 700K but his cap hit was 1.4M.

Frankly Rolston doesn't do that much for me - I don't see how he is much of an upgrade on Plekanec. Rolston is a a little bit bigger, but he is also much older and Plek is still on the uptick.

It's not about getting an upgrade on Plekanec (though at the moment, he is one), it's about having both of them! He's also a great player for our middle of the pack PK and a good replacement for Streit on the powerplay.

The best would be Sundin, Plex, Koivu, Lapierre but Plex, Koivu, Rolston and Lapierre is good as well...

For the past 3 seasons, this is correct, however, for this year there's a slight variation. All bonuses count against the cap for the full season, regardless of whether they're attainable or not. So in other words, combined salaries + bonuses can't total greater than the 56.7, there's no 7.5% ability to rollover.

Really interesting thus far. Didn't expect Huet and Theodore to change teams. Ty Conklin could be a steal for the Red Wings.

Sad to see Streit go and pleased with the Kosty signing.

Now to UFAs. Sundin would be great. If he wan't one last chance to win the cup then Montreal is a good option. But Im also wondering about Sergei Fedorov and Markus Näslund.

Fedorov was one of the best player (if not the best) in last world championship... Markus Näslund and Ilya Kovalchuck are the two players that has scored the most goals this decade. And Markus has played with a defensive minded team. Sure he's a pure sniper but in my book he's as good as Hossa but would be far more cheap.

Really interesting thus far. Didn't expect Huet and Theodore to change teams. Ty Conklin could be a steal for the Red Wings.

Sad to see Streit go and pleased with the Kosty signing.

Now to UFAs. Sundin would be great. If he wan't one last chance to win the cup then Montreal is a good option. But Im also wondering about Sergei Fedorov and Markus Näslund.

Fedorov was one of the best player (if not the best) in last world championship... Markus Näslund and Ilya Kovalchuck are the two players that has scored the most goals this decade. And Markus has played with a defensive minded team. Sure he's a pure sniper but in my book he's as good as Hossa but would be far more cheap.

ive got to agree with ya there Naslund would fit more than Hossa! IF he is actally gonna play at under 6 mil a year but with Ryder playing for 4 mil?!??!! I'm okay if Bob Gainey signs a good faceoff man that can get to the net thats it!

Edited by CoRvInA

ive got to agree with ya there Naslund would fit more than Hossa! IF he is actally gonna play at under 6 mil a year but with Ryder playing for 4 mil?!??!! I'm okay if Bob Gainey signs a good faceoff man that can get to the net thats it!

While Naslund would certainly make more sense financially than Hossa, I'm afraid he's over the hill. His production has dropped each of the last 4 seasons, while scoring has increased. He put up a meager 55 points this year.

While Naslund would certainly make more sense financially than Hossa, I'm afraid he's over the hill. His production has dropped each of the last 4 seasons, while scoring has increased. He put up a meager 55 points this year.

Hossa will want more years than Naslund... But we dont want to tie up $ for more than 3 years, from whats available now in the UFA market, true even on June 30th... I think we need a temp solution until a propper trade (where the true Centre is) or from our farm team develops

Hossa will want more years than Naslund... But we dont want to tie up $ for more than 3 years, from whats available now in the UFA market, true even on June 30th... I think we need a temp solution until a propper trade (where the true Centre is) or from our farm team develops

A temporary solution for what? We just finished 1st in the East and lost only one significant player, and even that loss won't be felt if someone steps up on the point on the powerplay. On top of minimal losses, we brought in Alex Tanguay, an 80 point type guy. And then take into account the improvement of our young players. Andrei played his first full NHL season and made great strides. Sergei showed us a lot in his first NHL stint. Maxim learned a lesson and played well when he got called back up. O'Byrne got a taste of the NHL. Gorges surpised many with his play. All these guys can continue to improve, not have hit their max potential yet. Add in Chipchura and you have a lot of reasons to expect even better from this team next season. Sundin or Hossa would simply be a luxury, though one that would make it difficult to sign O'Byrne, Gorges, and Halak and still have room for some depth players.

A temporary solution for what? We just finished 1st in the East and lost only one significant player, and even that loss won't be felt if someone steps up on the point on the powerplay. On top of minimal losses, we brought in Alex Tanguay, an 80 point type guy. And then take into account the improvement of our young players. Andrei played his first full NHL season and made great strides. Sergei showed us a lot in his first NHL stint. Maxim learned a lesson and played well when he got called back up. O'Byrne got a taste of the NHL. Gorges surpised many with his play. All these guys can continue to improve, not have hit their max potential yet. Add in Chipchura and you have a lot of reasons to expect even better from this team next season. Sundin or Hossa would simply be a luxury, though one that would make it difficult to sign O'Byrne, Gorges, and Halak and still have room for some depth players.

You just answered yourself Fanpuck lol! temporary solution for our Needed centre piece! Hossa would mean a long term commitment thats why I wrote "temp solution until a propper trade (where the true Centre is) or from our farm team develops"

while Naslund fits more the kind of player that could potentialy sign for less years, because like u said earlier he is on the downside of his career Hossa definetely would not he wants a 7 or 8 year deal! probably with NTC too!

You just answered yourself Fanpuck lol! temporary solution for our Needed centre piece! Hossa would mean a long term commitment thats why I wrote "temp solution until a propper trade (where the true Centre is) or from our farm team develops"

while Naslund fits more the kind of player that could potentialy sign for less years, because like u said earlier he is on the downside of his career Hossa definetely would not he wants a 7 or 8 year deal! probably with NTC too!

My whole point is that we don't need a big free agent. We don't have a problem that needs a temporary fix! A big name free agent would be nothing more than a bonus, not a mandatory piece to make us a contender. That was the whole point of my post!

My whole point is that we don't need a big free agent. We don't have a problem that needs a temporary fix! A big name free agent would be nothing more than a bonus, not a mandatory piece to make us a contender. That was the whole point of my post!

Well then in your view Gainey is screwing it up then! What was BG doing bargaining for exclusive rights if it were not more than a bonus! What you fail to see my friend is that we both agree on the fact we dont need much! Gainey believes we need something and thats a top forward Other than Tanguay, therefor, its more important than a mere bonus IMHO... talking about us being in DEEP NEED was a never a point to this discussion.

I do believe that with the addition of Sundin, the Habs would become legitimate contenders for the Cup. But I also beleive that even without Sundin, the Habs could make a run for the cup. It's just that with Sundin in the line-up, it would be easier.

I think it's safe to say we can forget about Hossa. Like I've said a dozen times, the Habs don't need another winger, we need a centre who can win face-offs and who is taller than 6'1". THe only guy left out there that fits the bill is Sundin.

Maybe Bob will make a trade during the regular season for a big centre?

What you fail to see my friend is that we both agree on the fact we dont need much!

I think we all agree with you there. The Habs don't need much to become serious contenders!

Edited by Habsfan

The team now is a playoff team without any additions. As we all saw, it's too small and soft still to do any damage in the playoffs.

Sundin does add grit and size to the table, he is a mismatch for almost everyone. Is that enough with his addition to put them over the top is the question.

Hossa and some others are good regular season additions, again the question is can Hossa put them over the top.

Well then in your view Gainey is screwing it up then! What was BG doing bargaining for exclusive rights if it were not more than a bonus! What you fail to see my friend is that we both agree on the fact we dont need much! Gainey believes we need something and thats a top forward Other than Tanguay, therefor, its more important than a mere bonus IMHO... talking about us being in DEEP NEED was a never a point to this discussion.

It is easy to spend other peoples money. Hossa at $9 million dollars for 9 years is not worth the risk. Thre is no gaurantee Hossa can deliver for 9 years or even 5 years. Why take the risk that ties your team for years? Sundin at $10 million dollars for 2 years is also too much. Gainey is a prudent manager of his resources. Continue to build from within and maybe the occasional trade.