Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Salming didn't really leave the Leafs by choice, Ballard's constant meddling finally drove him out. Salming said he regretted not taking the captaincy when offered... but he was happy with retiring back in Sweden for a 3 year career after his one year in Detroit.

Gilmour is still with the Leafs, and now the Buds have brought in Nieuwendyk to the management fold, who was very popular even if he just was there for one year. Apparently he's one of Mats' best friends from his playing days.

I'm surprised Salming's biggest regret isn't his cocaine use that got him suspended in the 80's, but whatever.

Salming didn't really leave the Leafs by choice, Ballard's constant meddling finally drove him out. Salming said he regretted not taking the captaincy when offered... but he was happy with retiring back in Sweden for a 3 year career after his one year in Detroit.

Gilmour is still with the Leafs, and now the Buds have brought in Nieuwendyk to the management fold, who was very popular even if he just was there for one year. Apparently he's one of Mats' best friends from his playing days.

I'm surprised Salming's biggest regret isn't his cocaine use that got him suspended in the 80's, but whatever.

Ballard did that to all the Leafs greats (McDonald, Sittler, Vaive). But he could have packed it in for the final year and retired a Maple Leaf

instead of an ego driven wasted season is Detroit.

I have seen him say both were great regrets in his life, but Sundin has also referenced Salming's regret of not retiring

with the Blue and White. Salming is a god in Swedish hockey and Mats will not take his advice lightly.

I still think he is 50/50 on going to the Habs, but Mats is a different dude and I would not be shocked to see him pack it in.

The Canucks are a long shot.

Edited by Wamsley01

Here's his reply to the sudden profusion of rumours that he's about to sign with the Canuckleheads:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...7b-f88c2d9a0978

"When you're a professional hockey player, the money is one part of the total picture before a decision," said Sundin. "But there are plenty of other things that play in as well. If it was only about the money, I would have already signed with Vancouver."

Sundin, who balked at waiving his no-trade contract in February, also told the newspaper that he hasn't ruled out a return to the Maple Leafs.

"I haven't followed it so closely, but Joe Nieuwendyk has come into the club's front office, and he's a fantastic leader and has got a real winner's mentality. I believe he's going to help a lot in the process of building a club that's strong and probably can fight for the Stanley Cup in the future. I believe they're going to get a good team already this season," he said.

"And of course I feel strongly for Toronto after 13 seasons with the club. It feels like home. But we'll have to see."

That he chose to say this, at this stage of the game, suggests to me that the Habs' real competition may be the Leafs (or retirement), not the Canucks, which affirms Wamsley's view. (Despite the Olympics, Vancouver doesn't have much going for it besides the money). I haven't seriously expected him to return to TO after all that's transpired, but these seems like a fairly strong warning signal that he'll do precisely that.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Here's his reply to the sudden profusion of rumours that he's about to sign with the Canuckleheads:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...7b-f88c2d9a0978

"When you're a professional hockey player, the money is one part of the total picture before a decision," said Sundin. "But there are plenty of other things that play in as well. If it was only about the money, I would have already signed with Vancouver."

Sundin, who balked at waiving his no-trade contract in February, also told the newspaper that he hasn't ruled out a return to the Maple Leafs.

"I haven't followed it so closely, but Joe Nieuwendyk has come into the club's front office, and he's a fantastic leader and has got a real winner's mentality. I believe he's going to help a lot in the process of building a club that's strong and probably can fight for the Stanley Cup in the future. I believe they're going to get a good team already this season," he said.

"And of course I feel strongly for Toronto after 13 seasons with the club. It feels like home. But we'll have to see."

That he chose to say this, at this stage of the game, suggests to me that the Habs' real competition may be the Leafs (or retirement), not the Canucks, which affirms Wamsley's view. (Despite the Olympics, Vancouver doesn't have much going for it besides the money). I haven't seriously expected him to return to TO after all that's transpired, but these seems like a fairly strong warning signal that he'll do precisely that.

I have to admit, the things he has said lately have me believing he will sign with Toronto.

But in my mind if he signs with Toronto he delays their rebuild ONE more year and they miss the Tavares/Hedman boat.

The Leafs with Toskala and Sundin are not bad enough to finish in the bottom 3 and losing Tucker, Raycroft and Wellwood

is negligible. So that would be a victory in itself.

THe only poor scenarios for me is retirement (I strongly doubt) and Vancouver. These offer no benefit to me as a hockey fan.

One thing with the Vancouver offer... Sundin recently has refused to sign more than one year contracts with the Leafs, wanting to keep his and the team's options open after each season in case he decides to retire. The Vancouver offer is odd because it's a 2 year deal... I don't think he'll take that deal, although he might still take a 1 year, $10m contract from Vancouver. He thinks his Olympic days are over, for what it's worth. He won the last time around, so it's possible he wants to go out on top.

Which brings us back to Montreal...

It's starting to look like Montreal's chances are slipping. Right now, he seems to be considering Vancouver and Toronto more than us.

It's starting to look like Montreal's chances are slipping. Right now, he seems to be considering Vancouver and Toronto more than us.

He was answering a report about Vancouver signing him, so of course he spoke more about Vancouver's offer as opposed to Montreal.

He was answering a report about Vancouver signing him, so of course he spoke more about Vancouver's offer as opposed to Montreal.

I don't think he will sign with the Canucks.

If a team offers $3M more than everybody else and he does not jump at the money he most likely never will.

dutycalls.JPG

Ummm.....I disagree.

In just over two weeks we will see..........

MatsHab.JPG

Edited by Habitforming

WOW ... now there's a really strange sight :blink:

I think the big issue right now that stops Sundin from signing with Montreal is that the #13 is "bad luck" and was never wore in 100 yrs of Habs history.

I think the big issue right now that stops Sundin from signing with Montreal is that the #13 is "bad luck" and was never wore in 100 yrs of Habs history.

I think there are 10 million reasons to "consider my future" and not so much about his choice of jersey number.

Well Can it be any worse than the 13 has been for TO???

Is there any news that Dandenault has been traded to the Kings?

Read it on a message board posting elsewhere...said it came from the radio...I'm not buying it but with Sundin slated to announce what he's doing next week it's at least feasible that they're trying to clear some salary room.

Read it on a message board posting elsewhere...said it came from the radio...I'm not buying it but with Sundin slated to announce what he's doing next week it's at least feasible that they're trying to clear some salary room.

I don't think the Kings would want Dandy NO

Here we go. This may be absolute fact or total nonsense. Poster level rumours "I heard on the radio" are annoying. Many a time it turns out to be true. I discovered the Halak and Gorges signings as a result of this type of rumour-"I heard on the radio".

Unfortunately, sometimes someone is preoccupied with other things (not totally focused on the radio)and hears a radio host make a suggestion that moving a certain player is logical. The listener misinterprets that the announcer was talking fantasy and thinks he/she heard about an actual trade. The last two rumours that Sundin was in Vancouver grew out of poster level nonsense.

So, on one hand maybe this is a Gorges or Halak poster level situation, or maybe it's a Vancouver Sundin rumour goofup.

Stay tuned folks. If it's true we'll know soon.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Here we go. This may be absolute fact or total nonsense. Poster level rumours "I heard on the radio" are annoying. Many a time it turns out to be true. I discovered the Halak and Gorges signings as a result of this type of rumour-"I heard on the radio".

Unfortunately, sometimes someone is preoccupied with other things (not totally focused on the radio)and hears a radio host make a suggestion that moving a certain player is logical. The listener misinterprets that the announcer was talking fantasy and thinks he/she heard about an actual trade. The last two rumours that Sundin was in Vancouver grew out of poster level nonsense.

So, on one hand maybe this is a Gorges or Halak poster level situation, or maybe it's a Vancouver Sundin rumour goofup.

Stay tuned folks. If it's true we'll know soon.

Oh, I know...I was just curious if anyone in Montreal was hearing it on the news...it's not on TSN or Sportsnet and they usually pick up on this stuff real fast so I'm chalking it up to a steaming pile of BS.

Sorry to disagree with you there KoZed, but there have been 3 players that have worn the number 13 in the Habs History, 2 of them were in the same season!!!

1912-13

#13 Lorenzo Bertrand

&

#13 Emile Marchildon

1921-22

#13 Edmond Bouchard

there might even be a 4th in William (Billy) Boucher in the same year as Edmond Bouchard (1921-22), but twice 2 players wering number 13 in the same season seems a little far fetched even for me. :blink:

My source is "La Glorieuse Histoire Des Canadiens" by Pierre Bruneau and Leandre Normand, the 2003 print (ISBN: 2-7619-1860-6)

1912-13 roster is on page: 58

1921-22 roster is on page: 90

Sorry to disagree with you there KoZed, but there have been 3 players that have worn the number 13 in the Habs History, 2 of them were in the same season!!!

1912-13

#13 Lorenzo Bertrand

&

#13 Emile Marchildon

1921-22

#13 Edmond Bouchard

there might even be a 4th in William (Billy) Boucher in the same year as Edmond Bouchard (1921-22), but twice 2 players wering number 13 in the same season seems a little far fetched even for me. :blink:

My source is "La Glorieuse Histoire Des Canadiens" by Pierre Bruneau and Leandre Normand, the 2003 print (ISBN: 2-7619-1860-6)

1912-13 roster is on page: 58

1921-22 roster is on page: 90

Those players were assigned Jersey #13 but never actually wore it in a game.

So your both right, I believe.

Those players were assigned Jersey #13 but never actually wore it in a game.

So your both right, I believe.

How in the world could you know that?

Well, unless you went through actual line-ups during every single game that the team played during all those guys careers. I'm pretty sure you didn't, or if you could even do that, considering records from 1912-13-21-22 are probably hard to find. Do they even exist?

How in the world could you know that?

Well, unless you went through actual line-ups during every single game that the team played during all those guys careers. I'm pretty sure you didn't, or if you could even do that, considering records from 1912-13-21-22 are probably hard to find. Do they even exist?

Because the team we're talking about is still very much in existence, it isn't hard to comprehend that they kept those records. And especially the 1921-22 ones, since they were part of the NHL, which obviously is also still in existence.

Hockey was pretty well established as a business in the early 1900s, so records are easier to come by.

Because the team we're talking about is still very much in existence, it isn't hard to comprehend that they kept those records. And especially the 1921-22 ones, since they were part of the NHL, which obviously is also still in existence.

Hockey was pretty well established as a business in the early 1900s, so records are easier to come by.

I will believe that when you can show me a link that proves number thirteen never hit the ice in those years the number was assigned. To do that you would have to get a spread sheet like the ones on NHL.com that show TOI in minutes for every game in those years and it would have to show he never played, or easier maybe, the starting line-ups for everyone of those games. I doubt those records are available. If you can find that I'll be a monkey's uncle. :huh:

O.k........So I do see your point. I'm sure that they exist somewhere but what I don't believe is that JMMR actually went through them and then posted here on Habsworld. It was a "ya right how would you really know that" *with a chuckle* who wants a beer? kind of comment, but i guess they could be found if you really needed to know from what your saying.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE