Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I still fail to comprehend any scenario according to which the acquisition of Gaborik makes any sense for us. *Maybe* if the return is Kovalev and one RFA who Bob deems will cost too much to re-sign...the logic being that Gaborik could be cheaper and more productive than re-signing (say) Kovy and Higgins at $5 mil each. That sort of thing. But even then, Gaborik's injury-prone nature means you're plunging $8 mil annually into a guy who will give you maybe 50 games a year. It's a head-scratcher.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Gaborik to Montreal simply doesn't make sense. The Habs are building a team environment but that doesn't only apply to the teams in terms on and off the ice, it also applies from a management standpoint.

Many team strap themselves with cap constraints when they start handing out 7M$ to 10M$ cap hit deals since they have to usually cut back from somewhere else in the line up. Just going with Montreal has right now and projected some of the signings they have to do, it won't be easy for Bob to keep this current line up intact let alone adding Gaborik to the mix.

Sure, he might be intriguing down the line but at 8M$ a season, one of Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay and Lang has to go since it won't be at the expense of Mike Komisarek unless he leaves on his own.

I am not advocating a Gaborik to Montreal move but I have 2 points:

1) It is do-able under the cap although we'd be cutting it by mere thousands (I think Brian's numbers left us at $8 000 under the cap).

2) It has been discussed despite Bob's statements that he never approached Risebrough. I was actually a bit disappointed when he made that statement because (unless you're taking him 100% literally and ignoring everything he's implying with that statement) I felt he was lying straight to our faces. I bring this up because so often I read posts that say "No way is this happening, Bob would never trade Higgins at any cost." My point is that this isn't true; Gainey is at least considering the deal, who knows how strongly?

Here is my retroactive apology but CKAC and Yvon Pedneault reports BOb is in L.A. to observe Sundin.

Gainey à LA pour observer Sundin

Google English Translation

Here we go again :wacko:

Remember when Gainey was in colorado, supposedly(sp?) to talk trade and 2 days later Carbonneau( who was in Dallas) was hired ??

Remember when Gainey was in colorado, supposedly(sp?) to talk trade and 2 days later Carbonneau( who was in Dallas) was hired ??

Who's to say Bob didn't talk trade with Colorado then as well? Two months later, Theodore was an Av... ;)

Who's to say Bob didn't talk trade with Colorado then as well? Two months later, Theodore was an Av... ;)

Lacroix was trying to land theodore ever since the shark loaning story.

I agree, but who do we get rid of to accommodate him? Would be a bit of a dirty move considering he just got here and he seems happy to be a habs, but I'd find a taker for Lang.

It would really have to be Lang :

cause if you try to cut elsewhere, it takes a lot of work :

Brisebois, Dandenault, Bouillon (4.3M Total)

Laraque (1.5M)

---- total : 5.8

Unless, there is a side deal (unlikely) that would send someone like Koivu or Kovalev (4.5M) to another city for a kickass dman who is ready right now to step in #4 and who has upsides to become a #1 (!?) and who is really cheap... (just like in EA's NHL 200x)

Because the team is 100% healthy, we've got more cap room now than the precarious situation we were in at the beginning of the year. Not calling up players when we have 1 injured player like Komisarek helps us out long term. Right now, we have $1.9m in cap space. We'd have to get rid of a player to add a guy like Sundin, and the most obvious candidates range in price from just under a million (O'Byrne, Sergei Kostitsyn) to Dandenault's $1.75m cap hit.

That's $3.65m in cap space if it were Dandenault that went. If Sundin doesn't come back until after Christmas or the new year, that means his cap hit will be a lot less. A $6m annual salary would only count for $3.25m or so from Christmas on against the cap.

I said when we got Lang that it wouldn't be the end of our quest for Sundin. This article doesn't give us much to go on, all we know is that they met. I presume Gainey said "We're still interested in you" and Sundin said "I'm still interested in you" and that was about it.

It'd definitely be nice to have a RH shot on a wing. By that, I mean I'd move Lang to a wing position if we got Sundin.

Having Lang as the only RH shot in our top 9 has limitations, particularily on the PP.

It should be noted that if it ever came to it, waiving Lang would serve no purpose as his salary counts no matter what due to the 35-and-up clause. I haven't seen it mentioned here yet (I have elsewhere), so I thought I'd point that out.

I still say the need isn't for another forward (although it's hard to pass on a Sundin), but for another d-man. I'm still yearning for the team to try Dandenault back there again, it would get one of Brisebois/O'Byrne out of the lineup, and that certainly can't be a bad thing...can it? That's really the only in-house option they have, unless they were to either retroactively IR Komisarek to free up a roster spot, or demote S. Kostitsyn and bring up a d-man instead - I really don't see either happening.

From TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256735&amp...s=topStory_main

Apparently Montreal still has Mats on the radar, with Gainey having talked to Mats as recently as Wednesday.

Story goes on the point out that Montreal is about $2 Million under the salary cap, and would need to move some significant salary to add him.

Edited by kaos

From TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256735&amp...s=topStory_main

Apparently Montreal still has Mats on the radar, with Gainey having talked to Mats as recently as Wednesday.

Story goes on the point out that Montreal is about $2 Million under the salary cap, and would need to move some significant salary to add him.

Depends how much he signs for, really. If he signs for what he played at last year ($5.5m), it wouldn't take a lot to get the team under, especially at the mid-point of the season.

Depends how much he signs for, really. If he signs for what he played at last year ($5.5m), it wouldn't take a lot to get the team under, especially at the mid-point of the season.

Wouldn't a $5.5m salary be based on a full year of service meaning he'd only earn half that if he signs at mid-season?

At this point, I'm pretty sure the money is not the primary motivation for Sundin...if he signs with a team mid-season there are very few teams with salary cap room AND a shot at winning which one would assume would be his primary goal if he returns to the NHL.