Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I didn't give up on Koivu because he is an international all star... I just hope Carle could become a successful NHLer too, but I highly doubt it. Not in Montreal as he will be clinched by other prospects really soon.

Ben Maxwell has missed far more development time than Carle has due to injury. Carle is also on the Bulldogs' top PP unit right now, while Weber is on the 2nd PP unit. I'm not sure he's even behind Weber at this point.

Apparently S. Kostitsyn will be benched tonight! After his performance in saturday night's game(2 stupid Penalties) i thikn he deserves to sit tonight's game! Other players have been benched for alot less!(Bégin, Dandy)

Yea, Lats and Sk are benched tonight. Obviously I understand sending a message, but as i keep saying, benching 21 year olds doesn't send the team a message. Sk does work hard every night even though he has taken soem dumb penalties lately.

I just don't understand why Kovalev, Brisby, Higgins and others never receive the same message.

Benching Kovalev a few games would send a big message. He hasn't done anything, especially 5 on 5.

Yea, Lats and Sk are benched tonight. Obviously I understand sending a message, but as i keep saying, benching 21 year olds doesn't send the team a message. Sk does work hard every night even though he has taken soem dumb penalties lately.

I just don't understand why Kovalev, Brisby, Higgins and others never receive the same message.

Benching Kovalev a few games would send a big message. He hasn't done anything, especially 5 on 5.

Kovalev has special status. You can't bench him. Do that, and you risk having him tune out for the rest of the season, with disastrous consequences on the ice, in the dressing room, and for his trade value. It just won't work and would be a terrible coaching move for that reason. Justice be damned, you have to do what works.

I don't know why you'd want to bench Higgins. As for Brisebois, he sits out quite a bit, although not usually as "punishment" (which would be a bit silly). Frankly, the only guy on this team who obviously deserves a benching, as far as I can see, is the man you can't give it to, i.e., AK 27.

We also need to distinguish between sitting guys out as punishment and sitting them out because they're not helping you win. I'm not sure Lats is being "punished" per se. I think the coaches just aren't happy with his game. Sergei, though, clearly is being punished - which is probably appropriate on a club that is trying to get rid of dumb penalties.

Special talents? Taking bad penalties, not back checking, not trying or producing any points. That isn't very special.

I'm just saying if GC was fair, everyone is open to a benching. There are numerous people who can be benched. Pleks could make that list as well.

His benching a few years ago seemed to hit the spot for a good year last year.

Special talents? Taking bad penalties, not back checking, not trying or producing any points. That isn't very special.

I'm just saying if GC was fair, everyone is open to a benching. There are numerous people who can be benched. Pleks could make that list as well.

His benching a few years ago seemed to hit the spot for a good year last year.

I didn't say special talents (although he does have those) - I said special status. Not everyone is open to a benching, and I agree that that is unfair, but I maintain that it is good sense under the circumstances. The real problem is that we've hitched our wagon to a player with Kovalev's Jekkyl-and-Hyde temperament. But it's not within the power of coaches to change that.

Ben Maxwell has missed far more development time than Carle has due to injury. Carle is also on the Bulldogs' top PP unit right now, while Weber is on the 2nd PP unit. I'm not sure he's even behind Weber at this point.

Where is he ? Injured again ? Everytime I watch this guy play or I want to watch him play, he gets injured or misses the game.

More on Zinovjev, just for those who are still interested in the story (you can get enough from the translation, plus the names of some of the people will make you laugh):

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

This is the first I have heard of Zinovjev. Can you tell me what the deal is with him?? Is he one of our prospects, and if so is he good?

This is the first I have heard of Zinovjev. Can you tell me what the deal is with him?? Is he one of our prospects, and if so is he good?

He's a 29 year old former Bruins prospect that has been one of the top KHL players the past few years, and was part of Russia's World Champion team this past year in Quebec City. He's a 5'11" centre.

He's apparently on the outs with his Russian team over something. He had offseason foot surgery and hasn't put up good numbers since recovering but there may be more to it than a lack of performance. Supposedly Montreal is interested in poaching him from his Russian team.

It's quite bizarre.

Wow that 29 year old sounds good, but I mean the hype may not be as good as it seems if it takes him that long to bloom.

He doesn't have a goal this year (10 games) and only 1 assist.

Perezhogin (sp) 2nd in goals.

Ray Emery having a great year, but this Kolesnik Vitaliy guy is poting unbelievable stats for a goalie!

Edited by MMPL

Two big names are on the move, NOT Sundin or Shanahan but

Jay Bou ...Ottawa is on the run with Spezza name mentionned, again poor decision by Ottawa Bou-Redden.

What can the Habs offer to land him??

Kovalchuk ...source from Waddel the idiot, they are looking for a bunch of players. A buch that we have.

My hopes are on Kovalchuk.

My bunch would be Halak, Fisher, Plekanek and Higgins + a 1st rounder in 2009.

Denis can lose games as effectively as Halak

Fisher is still a first rounder on paper.

Plekanek has value for past years production, now he is a wuss.

Higgins spot would be imediatly taken by Kovalchuk would forget him in a week.

1st rounder to sweeten the deal.

As much as I like Bouwmeester, I'd rather Kovalchuk.

I'm sure It would cost 2 current NHLer , 1 or 2 prospects and one of our pending UFA.

In a year Like 2009 with a high quality crop of prospect I wouldn't give out our 1st rounder.

I don't think any team can afford not to draft in the 1st round twice in a row. Even if we pick 26th or better 30th :D it's still better than any 2nd rounder.

Of the 2 my first choice would easily be Kovalchuk and if it is right that Waddell is looking for a bunch of players, the Habs have the quality and quantity to make such a deal.

I definitely think that Higgins would be a major piece of the deal. I have no problem with adding Fischer and maybe even Halak. The 1st rounder is OK. Plekancec i really worry about including and would rather include Laps or Chips.

I would so prefer a rental of Bouwmeester. I know that Kovalchuk is a fantastic talent, but Bouwmeester is a greater marginal improvement over our current assets.

Additionally, I like the idea of getting an expiring contract on the (relative) cheap considering that the habs will be trying to squeeze in one or two forwards and one or two D-men into the roster next year. Some of that problem will undoubtedly be mitigated by departing FAs, but I'd rather use the Kovalchuck dough for resigning multiple players and use his roster spot to work in guys like Diago and Pacioretty. I know they are not in anyway Kovalchuk's equal, but between them and the rest of the wingers on the Habs, I feel okay about that part of the roster.

As always, we have more need at centre and defense - why throw money at an area of relative strength?

I'm also a bit nervous about kovalchuk's attitude. I have not heard good things.

I would so prefer a rental of Bouwmeester. I know that Kovalchuk is a fantastic talent, but Bouwmeester is a greater marginal improvement over our current assets.

Additionally, I like the idea of getting an expiring contract on the (relative) cheap considering that the habs will be trying to squeeze in one or two forwards and one or two D-men into the roster next year. Some of that problem will undoubtedly be mitigated by departing FAs, but I'd rather use the Kovalchuck dough for resigning multiple players and use his roster spot to work in guys like Diago and Pacioretty. I know they are not in anyway Kovalchuk's equal, but between them and the rest of the wingers on the Habs, I feel okay about that part of the roster.

As always, we have more need at centre and defense - why throw money at an area of relative strength?

I'm also a bit nervous about kovalchuk's attitude. I have not heard good things.

I'm thinking that if Kovalchuk was scoring 50 goals on a Habs team that is competing for the Stanley Cup, his attitude with be quite OK. He's probably competitive and sick of being on a losing team.

Kovalchuk is hardly a better option than Gaborik - and even that's debatable. You gave us the exact reason why with your potential offer of Halak, Fischer, Higgins, Plekanec and a 1st. That's way too much to give for anybody. We'd have no centre for the future and no 1st rounder to draft one this summer.

The other parts you mentioned are tradeable assets but it's just giving too much for only one player that'll take up a chunk of our cap space and then threaten to leave when his contract runs up.

Thornton cost Sturm, Stuart and Primeau.

Jokinen cost Ballard, Boynton and a 2nd.

Both were widely considered rip-offs. Yet the going rate for a franchise forward seems to be much lower than most fans expect. Apart from Higgins, we'd need to move Dandenault and/or Bouillon to fit him under the cap and I would like to keep both of them.

Kovalchuk is hardly a better option than Gaborik - and even that's debatable. You gave us the exact reason why with your potential offer of Halak, Fischer, Higgins, Plekanec and a 1st. That's way too much to give for anybody. We'd have no centre for the future and no 1st rounder to draft one this summer.

The other parts you mentioned are tradeable assets but it's just giving too much for only one player that'll take up a chunk of our cap space and then threaten to leave when his contract runs up.

Both were widely considered rip-offs. Yet the going rate for a franchise forward seems to be much lower than most fans expect. Apart from Higgins, we'd need to move Dandenault and/or Bouillon to fit him under the cap and I would like to keep both of them.

We can go along well without Dandenault. Komi will be back and O'Byrne still in the stands.

Higgins / Fisher / 2009 2nd / 2010 1rst and Dandenault could probably land us Kovalchuk...

I think we'd still need to open up another ~1.5M of cap space but who else would we give. Bouillon? We'd be running out of defensemen.

I would beg to differ as Gabs is much more injury prone. All things being equal, it would be about 50/50, but with injury problems i would rather have Kovalchuk.

In talkin about who to give up in a potential trade, like i've just mentioned i have no problem in giving up Higgins, along with some others. Probably take 3 or 4 bodies and a draft pick. If the other bodies were like a Fischer, maybe Halak, O'byrne, but not a Pleks, or even a Kostitsyn.

Lately, I have come to realize that Higgins is best suited for a 3rd line left winger role who can score about 25 goals a season. But to get a Kovalchuk for Higgins as a main part of a deal is a no-brainer.

I would beg to differ as Gabs is much more injury prone. All things being equal, it would be about 50/50, but with injury problems i would rather have Kovalchuk.

In talkin about who to give up in a potential trade, like i've just mentioned i have no problem in giving up Higgins, along with some others. Probably take 3 or 4 bodies and a draft pick. If the other bodies were like a Fischer, maybe Halak, O'byrne, but not a Pleks, or even a Kostitsyn.

Lately, I have come to realize that Higgins is best suited for a 3rd line left winger role who can score about 25 goals a season. But to get a Kovalchuk for Higgins as a main part of a deal is a no-brainer.

Sure, but before you mentioned Plekanec who just can not move for anything over than an upgrade.

I think Kovalchuk's got a 6.4M cap hit and has one more season on his contract after this year. So Higgins, Dandy, Halak and O'Byrne might be enough to keep us just below the cap. But then we have to call up Denis and then find a 7th defenceman. If we keep O'Byrne and give Fischer then we need to find a way to open up some cap space. It would mean D'Agostini getting sent down for one thing.

It's doable but we'll have to make a few sacrifices.