Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

We all agree that Brewmeister (or however you spell his name) would be sweet. But he'd be a pure rental. Are you really willing to give up, say, Higgins, for a rental who we'd be unlikely to re-sign even if he wanted to come back? You can say, "yes, if it means a Cup," but rentals don't guarantee Cups.

Frankly, given that the team has performed just fine without Higgins, I might be willing to make that deal and take my chances. But I still think losing longer-term assets for rentals is, in principle, a bad strategy.

Are you really willing to give up, say, Higgins, for a rental who we'd be unlikely to re-sign even if he wanted to come back?

Hell yeah...Higgins the guy I'd be most willing to part with for a rental D-man. I can't see any winger in the lineup currently that I'd sit in favor of Higgins, so he might as well fetch the Habs something useful in a trade.

Forget it, the scoring is coming around. We are scoring goals against everyone (except, of course, the B's).

Go get that 4th d-man, Bouweesmeisterester. Cup winners can be rock-solid d's, choking out other teams (Detroit, Ana). Honestly, the combined potential of a d-corps with him in it (or another high-calibre d-man) is staggering, Komi-Hamr, Markov-Bouw, Gorges-Bouillion, with a healthy Price that looks very nice, offense, defense, transition, skating, size...The team is ready to win it now, we have a lot of nice d-prospects, go for it now with the d-man.

LeCavalier would be sweet...would he put us over the top? Especially if we give up Gorges, and have to rely on either O'Byrne or a rookie? We'd have to make another deal, methinks.

Well said! WE don'T need more offense, we need a 4th d-man.

Defense wins championships!

Edited by Habsfan

Well said! WE don'T need more offense, we need a 4th d-ma.

Defense wins championships!

We need a 3rd Dman not a 4th...we already have a 4th and he's playing 3rd Dman.

Edited by marky_and_komi

the idiot Eklund is claiming it will take markov or komisareck to get Vinny. Always a good laugh from the "comic relief king". If that were true I for one would say have fun in Tampa Vinny we do not need you that badly.

the idiot Eklund is claiming it will take markov or komisareck to get Vinny. Always a good laugh from the "comic relief king". If that were true I for one would say have fun in Tampa Vinny we do not need you that badly.

Agreed! Komi and Markov should be untouchables!

Edited by Habsfan

More madness on Lecavalier last night on the CBC hotstove. Thefourthperiod website has details on some rumours posted today.

TheFourthPeriod.com - Lecavalier saga continues

Despite denials from Tampa GM Brian Lawton, it was discussed that at least five teams have been in talks with the Lightning about Lecavalier's availability, with the Montreal Canadiens in constant contact.
:huh:

And the circus continues and I still agree that TB isn't doing enough to quell the situation. :wacko:

Well, the "idiot" Eklund is probably right. If I'm the Bolts GM, Vinny's price tag includes one of Markov or a signed Komi, no question. I don't know how a statement like that makes him an idiot. Someone claiming less would have to be looked at somewhat awkwardly, mind you.

That said, I suspect it's a bargaining tactic from Tampa. Montreal's first informal offer was the Plex, Higgs, Subban, picks offer. Tampa counters with a clear indication that one of Markov or Komi has to be included. Montreal re-ups with a name like McDonagh - a future #1/2. Tampa has to know the liklihood of Montreal parting with one of its two rocks is near negligable in a year when a Cup run is expected.

Of course, that's all assuming this is during-the-season talk. If the trade is to be done after the season but before the NTC for Vinny kicks in, all bets are off. One of the two could very well be gone.

Well, the "idiot" Eklund is probably right. If I'm the Bolts GM, Vinny's price tag includes one of Markov or a signed Komi, no question. I don't know how a statement like that makes him an idiot. Someone claiming less would have to be looked at somewhat awkwardly, mind you.

That said, I suspect it's a bargaining tactic from Tampa. Montreal's first informal offer was the Plex, Higgs, Subban, picks offer. Tampa counters with a clear indication that one of Markov or Komi has to be included. Montreal re-ups with a name like McDonagh - a future #1/2. Tampa has to know the liklihood of Montreal parting with one of its two rocks is near negligable in a year when a Cup run is expected.

Of course, that's all assuming this is during-the-season talk. If the trade is to be done after the season but before the NTC for Vinny kicks in, all bets are off. One of the two could very well be gone.

first of all if he is right it would be a first second Montreal are not giving up Komi or Markov for anyone. thirdly you spent the rest of your post proving me right. He said it was the only way the deal would happen. and you and I know it is not happenibg so what exactly are you arguing about? oh yeah and fourthly he has always been an idiot just like the pope is always catholic. :P

Edited by habs rule

first of all if he is right it would be a first second Montreal are not giving up Komi or Markov for anyone. thirdly you spent the rest of your post proving me right. He said it was the only way the deal would happen. and you and I know it is not happenibg so what exactly are you arguing about? oh yeah and fourthly he has always been an idiot just like the pope is always catholic. :P

Eklund said that the Bolts would want and try to get Markov or Komisarek... which is true. Lawton's holding out to get Markov. We know we're not going to give up Markov but how does that make Eklund's comment wrong? For all we know, it might be the only way it can happen. We have no idea how much interest Tampa has in a Plekanec, Higgins, Subban and picks package.

There's no way in hell that Bob will trade Komisarek or Markov for Vinny. It just doesn't make any sense and it would be like taking a step backwards. My guess is that Bob is done talking to the fools in Tampa...at least I hope he is.

I like Vinny, in fact, I really like him, but I just think that it would cost the Habs way too much to acquire him. I don't want to see bob dismantle this team for one overpriced superstar!

We all agree that Brewmeister (or however you spell his name) would be sweet. But he'd be a pure rental. Are you really willing to give up, say, Higgins, for a rental who we'd be unlikely to re-sign even if he wanted to come back? You can say, "yes, if it means a Cup," but rentals don't guarantee Cups.

Frankly, given that the team has performed just fine without Higgins, I might be willing to make that deal and take my chances. But I still think losing longer-term assets for rentals is, in principle, a bad strategy.

For Higgins and not much else, probably. However I doubt the Panthers would accept; they'll get much better offers, and for such little return they'll take their chances resigning him.

That's why I mentioned a few posts back that I would like the Canadiens to acquire a guy like Dan Hamhuis, who would still be under contract next season. He's stuck behind Suter and Weber in Nashville, and I think he could use a change of scenery. Adding him to our current roster would give us a very solid top 4.

As for Nashville they could really use some depth at the forward position, and a package including Higgins and D'Agostini could no doubt interest them. So maybe Hamhuis and a decent pick/prospect (ex. Geoffrion) for Higgins, D'Agostini, and O'Byrne (it would be a little unfair to him to let him rot in the minors). Once Bouillon leaves this summer, one of Weber or Carle (and perhaps even Subban or McDonagh) could complete our top 6 along with Gorges.

Nashville is loaded with superb blue line prospect, they don't need O'Byrne. They need proven goal scorers since they already have their equivalents to Higgins and D'Agostini so I have my doubts they'd do such a deal.

Nashville is loaded with superb blue line prospect, they don't need O'Byrne. They need proven goal scorers since they already have their equivalents to Higgins and D'Agostini so I have my doubts they'd do such a deal.

It was just an example of the type of deal we could do (and I don't think they have much Chris Higginses in their ranks). What I mean is that we don't necessarily need to go after the biggest names like Bouwmeester, but a nice solid all-around defenseman like Hamhuis, Salei, Morris, Kuba (although those 2 would be rentals), etc could solify our roster without having to give up as much in return.

There's no way in hell that Bob will trade Komisarek or Markov for Vinny. It just doesn't make any sense and it would be like taking a step backwards. My guess is that Bob is done talking to the fools in Tampa...at least I hope he is.

I like Vinny, in fact, I really like him, but I just think that it would cost the Habs way too much to acquire him. I don't want to see bob dismantle this team for one overpriced superstar!

Yup. I'd have loved Vinny a few years back, but even the Higgins/Plex/Subban/picks package would be hard to swallow, and gutting our defence.....no thanks. Markov is my favourite habs and a stud, and Komi is just rounding into the defenceman we all knew he would become. As for Lecavalier, I really think that contract could be a team-buster, depending on how the economy affects the cap in the coming years. The more I think about this the more I hope he just stays in Tampa.

My hope is that Gainey will not tinker with this team too much, maybe add someone who can win fights with some consistency/protect our skill players/clear Price's crease and/or a good shooter from the point. But if he were to go with "just" what we've got right now (provided we get BGL back before the playoffs) I'm pretty confident in this team.

Edited by redondo

Eklund said that the Bolts would want and try to get Markov or Komisarek... which is true. Lawton's holding out to get Markov. We know we're not going to give up Markov but how does that make Eklund's comment wrong? For all we know, it might be the only way it can happen. We have no idea how much interest Tampa has in a Plekanec, Higgins, Subban and picks package.

"I have been told that it will absolutely take a #1 defenseman to get Vinny out of Tampa. And in Montreal that means Markov or Komisarek." does that sound like a negotiating ploy? he is saying it definitely will be markov or komi. end of my argumnet and this discussion

All Ek's does is reporting the SAME rumors the rest of the hockey world knows.............TSN Sportsnet etc etc but he makes it all about himself "I've been told by a source........" etc etc......

We all know Tampa needs help on D; and if they were to trade Vinny they'd want a top D to replace a top F.

"I have been told that it will absolutely take a #1 defenseman to get Vinny out of Tampa. And in Montreal that means Markov or Komisarek." does that sound like a negotiating ploy? he is saying it definitely will be markov or komi. end of my argumnet and this discussion

lol ... That quote is saying exactly what Colin and I have just said. It doesn't say Montreal is willing to give a #1 defenseman, it says that's what it will take to get him out of Tampa. His statement is common sense.

Edited by BTH

Think what Gainey said in his State-Of-The-Habs-Union address. He thinks we need something extra on D. So there could be no way we give up a top 2 d-man for Vinny, unless we trigger a spiral of trades to then compensate for that...and the spiral is heading downwards.

I think CerebusClone's post about teams like Nashville are probably way closer to the truth. After all, the team is not playing poorly by any stretch; picking up points on off-nights; without their Captain, #1 goalie and (arguably) #1 winger; and players are near getting healthy, with the break just ahead. So whether it is Bouweemeister or someone else, a top-4 d-man is much more likely than gutting out a team doing well to accomodate a scoring centre when goals are being scored.

And it is not like the Habs need a Francais-Canadien superstar to sell tickets.

lol ... That quote is saying exactly what Colin and I have just said. It doesn't say Montreal is willing to give a #1 defenseman, it says that's what it will take to get him out of Tampa. His statement is common sense.

sorry to insult your hero guys but i still think he 's an idiot and reports shite that a 3 year old could see through. He makes it sound like he has an inside track when in actual fact I think he just wants sell memberships to his site. so he says whatever outrageous thing he can. Montreal are never going to trade either Markov or Komi so why talk about it like it is imminent? It ain't gonna happen so it is bullshit. :lol:

Sorry if I'm nit-picking, but the term is Canadien-Français. ;) :que: :D And even then, nobody uses that term anymore.

Edited by Habsfan

Think what Gainey said in his State-Of-The-Habs-Union address. He thinks we need something extra on D. So there could be no way we give up a top 2 d-man for Vinny, unless we trigger a spiral of trades to then compensate for that...and the spiral is heading downwards.

I think CerebusClone's post about teams like Nashville are probably way closer to the truth. After all, the team is not playing poorly by any stretch; picking up points on off-nights; without their Captain, #1 goalie and (arguably) #1 winger; and players are near getting healthy, with the break just ahead. So whether it is Bouweemeister or someone else, a top-4 d-man is much more likely than gutting out a team doing well to accomodate a scoring centre when goals are being scored.

I'm not convinced at all Nashville wants to let Hamhuis go though. If we can get Kuba out of Ottawa, that would be great but he's been one of their most valuable players. I don't know if his contract is expiring or not but if it is then I think we'll have enough to get him. Could the Sens really turn down the type of young secondary scorers we could offer them?