Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Funny kind of note: during the All Star Practice, players kept getting pulled aside to do interviews on the loudspeaker. At the end of almost every one, there would be a kid in the audience who had a question for the player being interviews (written on a card they had to read). Iginla had "does your number have any special significance?", Kovalev had "you did you admire the most growing up?", etc. Which one did Vinny get? "What do you love the most about playing in Montreal?" The expression on the girl's face who was asking the kids was priceless and it got a real reaction out of the crowd. He gave the standard answers but it got me wondering who makes these questions up?

Funny kind of note: during the All Star Practice, players kept getting pulled aside to do interviews on the loudspeaker. At the end of almost every one, there would be a kid in the audience who had a question for the player being interviews (written on a card they had to read). Iginla had "does your number have any special significance?", Kovalev had "you did you admire the most growing up?", etc. Which one did Vinny get? "What do you love the most about playing in Montreal?" The expression on the girl's face who was asking the kids was priceless and it got a real reaction out of the crowd. He gave the standard answers but it got me wondering who makes these questions up?

I did.

I think it's pretty obvious. Jay Bouwmeester would have 10 times the impact (on-ice) as Vinny Lecav. Jay-Bo is unreal, and he just showed it to everyone at the all-star game.

Florida has to try and make the playoffs. They won't deal J-Bo, even if he does walk away. No one's had a reason to go see Florida in years, and if they make the playoffs, that'll be big for possibly increasing their season ticket base next year in spite of the recession.

Florida has to try and make the playoffs. They won't deal J-Bo, even if he does walk away. No one's had a reason to go see Florida in years, and if they make the playoffs, that'll be big for possibly increasing their season ticket base next year in spite of the recession.

You're no fun at all.

Ek says the Habs are hot after Kaberle. Stating BG needs to get a top defenseman to move to Tampa for VL.

THere are more and more reporters who beleive that Bob might go after Kaberle...especially seeing as he still has 2 years left to his contract at an "affordable" 4.25 million$ per year.

Obviously, Bouwmeester would be the best d-man available out there, but I thikn he would cost too much!

THere are more and more reporters who beleive that Bob might go after Kaberle...especially seeing as he still has 2 years left to his contract at an "affordable" 4.25 million$ per year.

Obviously, Bouwmeester would be the best d-man available out there, but I thikn he would cost too much!

Am I the only one that thinks Kaberle will cost more than Bouwmeester? Bouw is a rental, whereas Kaberle is under contract.

Not to mention what it's going to cost to send a top defenseman to a division rival.

Unless BG plans to flip him to another team i'm not sure how much he'll help. I don't know much about Kaberle but from what i have seen he is pretty soft in his own end, doesn't skate the puck out, loses battles. I think the habs have enough of those guys.

I'm not really sure if he would even help the PP, he is a great passer, the problem with that is the habs have no shooters. All they do is pass the puck.

Unless BG plans to flip him to another team i'm not sure how much he'll help. I don't know much about Kaberle but from what i have seen he is pretty soft in his own end, doesn't skate the puck out, loses battles. I think the habs have enough of those guys.

I'm not really sure if he would even help the PP, he is a great passer, the problem with that is the habs have no shooters. All they do is pass the puck.

Your other observations have merit, but not that one. Toronto once dubbed their team's breakout the "Kaberle breakout", since it was him and only him carrying the puck to centre everytime.

Does Kaberle have a decent shot from the point? If he does, i think Bob should get him...if not, then concentrate on Bouwmeester!

Ek says the Habs are hot after Kaberle. Stating BG needs to get a top defenseman to move to Tampa for VL.

Everyone seems to have missed this part. If I read this correctly, this is actually a LECAVALIER rumour - Kaberle is being mentioned as a player Bob would acquire and then flip to the Panthers in a package for #4. Then again, Kaberle on his own has merit too. Sort of a super Josh Gorges.

Pronger is an interesting thought. He'd address a need for a cannon shot and physical edge; it makes excellent sense in hockey terms. But $6.5 mil is a lot of money to add to the payroll for next year.

Everyone seems to have missed this part. If I read this correctly, this is actually a LECAVALIER rumour - Kaberle is being mentioned as a player Bob would acquire and then flip to the Panthers in a package for #4. Then again, Kaberle on his own has merit too. Sort of a super Josh Gorges.

Pronger is an interesting thought. He'd address a need for a cannon shot and physical edge; it makes excellent sense in hockey terms. But $6.5 mil is a lot of money to add to the payroll for next year.

We'd be able to keep Markov and Komisarek but I think (by the way, DO we want to keep Komisarek over Kaberle?) we'd wind up paying more than we would could we do this without Toronto. First, we'd have to give Toronto a decent package and then we'd have to add Plekanec and more to that in order to bring in Lecavalier.

Also, will Toronto be so willing to trade us Kaberle if they know it'll help their division rival land Lecavalier? Not unless they're desperate, I bet.

PS. You meant to say the Lightning, not the Panthers.

We'd be able to keep Markov and Komisarek but I think (by the way, DO we want to keep Komisarek over Kaberle?) we'd wind up paying more than we would could we do this without Toronto. First, we'd have to give Toronto a decent package and then we'd have to add Plekanec and more to that in order to bring in Lecavalier.

Also, will Toronto be so willing to trade us Kaberle if they know it'll help their division rival land Lecavalier? Not unless they're desperate, I bet.

PS. You meant to say the Lightning, not the Panthers.

Doh! Obviously I had Panthers on the brain. Unlike these damned Habs.

Yes, I keep Komisarek over Kaberle. And I agree with your analysis here, for whatever that's worth.

Kaberle has a no trade clause. I think he would enthusiastically waive it to go to Montreal, but wouldn't be likely to waive it again to end up in Tampa Bay. We could circle back to the Markov (plus someone else) for Lecavalier rumours, and assume that Kaberle would be Markov's intended replacement.

Speculation is fun.

Well the way they keep playing they will be in the Tavares sweepstakes shortly. This team isn't going to make a run at the cup. In 3 weeks they could be sellers instead of buyers.

Only Komi should be resigned out of the UFA's. There are some decent FA agents next year.

There could be interest in Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu begin and Hamrlik. They could get some extra picks and young players back.

Enough of that crap already. BG has to get rid of the last few remnants of those losing years.

What I was thinking. This is the first time I've ever had to seriously consider the possibility that we should trade Koivu. When he returned to the line-up the entire team suddenly started to play Koivu's game - and his game is just too used to losing, no matter how hard he works.

I'm definitely not in favour of rebuilding as Chris proposes. Actually, I think that's a pretty outrageous idea considering our team, which is pretty young anyway. What we really need is a total change in attitude and dynamic. If that means getting Lecavalier, or if that means trading Koivu (won't be the same trade, Koivu won't waive his NTC to play in TB), I say we need to consider it.

Kaberle would also make a huge difference. He'd add to the PP and add more energy to our D, not to mention kicking one of the weaker links out of a regular spot. I don't want to shake up the roster, I want a move that'll shake up the attitude. I don't want Koivu to be given the reins, I want someone else (or a group of players) to be leading, with Koivu as a secondary scorer.

(Oh, I'm not saying this because I hate Koivu or think he's a bad player. But I don't think he has much more he can add to our team unless he's playing at his absolute best. Were it not for the fac tthat he's been our captain for so long, I'd even be in favour of a motion that transfers the captaincy to Kovalev, Komisarek or even Price. I do think it would help the team and maybe even Koivu but I've already ruled it out.)

I wasn't really proposing rebuilding, just letting the youth take over and bring in younger assests by getting rid of someUFA's.

I just don't see Kovalev, Koivu, Begin, Lang, Tanguay (would like to see more healthy to make an impression), Bouillon being relivant to the team next year. Alot of those guys make big bucks with little to no production.

(Oh, I'm not saying this because I hate Koivu or think he's a bad player. But I don't think he has much more he can add to our team unless he's playing at his absolute best. Were it not for the fac tthat he's been our captain for so long, I'd even be in favour of a motion that transfers the captaincy to Kovalev, Komisarek or even Price. I do think it would help the team and maybe even Koivu but I've already ruled it out.)

I think the captaincy is given too much emphasis. It's a lot more important to fans and the media than it is to the players. Leadership can come from anyone in the room.

And to me, Kovalev's play while having a 'C' on his sweater is indistinguishable from those games where he had an 'A'.

I think the captaincy is given too much emphasis. It's a lot more important to fans and the media than it is to the players. Leadership can come from anyone in the room.

And to me, Kovalev's play while having a 'C' on his sweater is indistinguishable from those games where he had an 'A'.

Maybe, but the team's play isn't. It's absurd that a captain coming back from injury totally derails our team. We were doing well, Koivu should only add to our success, not undo all the chemistry. Have you ever seen anything comparable anywhere? I don't like the attitude of the team when they're following Koivu, as they will when he's in the line-up. I'm just getting sick of him. He's been around so long, I want a fresh, new face that brings a new style of play and atmosphere to the team. :)

Same thing with Higgins, by the way. He returned to the line-up and did more harm than good. Now, more than ever, I'd have to consider those crazy Lecavalier rumours that include Higgins as a throw-in. As much as we like Koivu, we got a taste of a Koivu-less Montreal and then came crashing back to reality. He makes the team much better on paper but he is still the final reminder of the Dark Ages and if it's not him who's bringing the defeated attitude from those days whenever we go down a goal, then who is it?

I'd be hesitant to trade him because he usually comes in handy in the playoffs, but I'd seriously consider letting him go at the end of the year (which means bring back Lang). I'd also add that this is only a slump and I think we'll be back to our winning form in no time.

But I think it's nearly time for a mutiny on the SS Canadiens.

Maybe, but the team's play isn't. It's absurd that a captain coming back from injury totally derails our team. We were doing well, Koivu should only add to our success, not undo all the chemistry. Have you ever seen anything comparable anywhere? I don't like the attitude of the team when they're following Koivu, as they will when he's in the line-up. I'm just getting sick of him. He's been around so long, I want a fresh, new face that brings a new style of play and atmosphere to the team. :)

It's absurd to think that Koivu's return from injury totally derailed the team. The losing streak began before he came back, albeit it was one game. Looking back, he got hurt in Tampa, but that somehow failed to spark the team to victory in that game, and they lost the next 2 as well. He was in the lineup for a 5 game winning streak in October. Hell, Detroit was bad for a stretch last season.

Sometimes winning or losing streaks happen, and it's not because of any one player. This is what I mean by overemphasing the captain. There's a long list of guys who haven't played well in this stretch. If there is a business decision made to let Koivu go in the off-season, so be it, but I don't think it will be done because somebody is bored with him.